Asx
Years ago

Illawarra preseason

Can anyone tell me some of the hawks preseason results. Nothing on their website and their Twitter page has one tweet.

I put a big of money on them for the chip, when they were at $13, now come in to $7 last I checked. Really have no idea how to gauge that team though...

Much appreciated

Topic #37943 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look at the Illawarra Hawks Facebook page.

All latest news and info is there

Reply #549247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just had back to back losses up in Cairns but I don't think Bevo was coaching or Penney played.

Reply #549248 | Report this post

Davidson10  
Years ago

Are you looking at the right website and twitter feed?

Pretty easy to find really.

They're playing Adelaide this weekend.

Reply #549249 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Any talk on a 2nd import.Really like DJ Johnson at Mt Gambier.Wonder if Beverage will be there on the weekend?

Reply #549256 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

They could use a rebounding pf by the looks of it...

Reply #549262 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Damian Johnson would be perfect as a cheap import. They already have plenty of shooting and scoring. He is a monster athletically/defensively being able to guard a number of positions.

Reply #549265 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

There is no second import,team is full.

Reply #549271 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I expect them to score heavily and knock down a barrage of 3's most weeks.

Whether their defense and rebounding will be good enough to make them an elite team is the question I'm waiting to have answered.

Reply #549276 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Agreed LV, rebounding and defense will be this teams biggest issue.

Reply #549296 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Rebounding and defense a worry for a Bevo team? :-/

Doubtful.

Backcourt you have Lisch and Demos who are bulldogs.

Frontcourt Ellis took flopping lessons from Madgen, before that at the Bilikens and before that his Dad ;-)

AJ was one of the leading rebounders when he was last here and Davidson has a career average around 6 rebounds a game* with a career high year of 8 rebounds a game so he isn't exactly a slouch.

None of their wings/bigs are great one on one defenders but Bevo will be drilling defense into them hard.

Reply #549315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry to say this but defensive teams is the last thing the NBL needs. Bums on seats only happens if the scores and games are exciting.
With a broadcast deal they need to provide entertainment not score lines of 65-58.0

Reply #549328 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You're not likely to see the NBL produce many scorelines like that, but yes, it needs to be at its free flowing best this season.

Reply #549329 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

There is certainly some talent in the the league this season, I don't think we have to worry about seeing free flowing high scoring games.

Reply #549417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting quote from Rhys Martin in the local saying Hawks only ran one play against Cairns.

"Offensively we only ran one play the whole time. We put up 80 points-plus in both games and the defence knew what we were running.

"We had a lot of different looks out of that one offence and the focus was to work on different options, seeing what guys' strengths are and what works well.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3344150/penney-gets-green-light-in-36ers-trial/?cs=2336

They meet in round one, so maybe some foxing?

Reply #549449 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"There is certainly some talent in the the league this season, I don't think we have to worry about seeing free flowing high scoring games."

Funnily enough Mystro, against what seems logical, when you look around the continents more talent usually equals lower scoring games. That's why getting the reffing back on track after last season is crucial to selling the product this year.

Reply #549568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754