Anonymous
Years ago

Webster signs with Pelicans

This clearly changed the Breakers chances. He's hard to replace as a local player! Non-guaranteed contract according to the good folks at Downtown who are usually well informed.

Topic #37956 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it will hurt the Breakers much. When he gets cut late October it will only be a month into the season here so plenty of time to work him back in before playoff time.

Reply #549520 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They must have really liked the look of him in training, workouts and scrimmages over this past week.

He is a master of the pick and roll so that's going to really help his chances.

I reckon he gets a roster spot.

Reply #549523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news, good luck to him

Reply #549524 | Report this post

Sean  
Years ago

Anyone got a link...?

Reply #549525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here you go sean

http://bfy.tw/1laS

Reply #549526 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Corey has come a long way in the past few years. This is a real testament to his hardwork, the quality of the NBL, and the standard of players in this region of the world.

Reply #549528 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

And goes to show the quality of the Breakers development academy. A few years back I thought he'd develop into a pretty good NBL player, he has far exceeded my expectations with his ability to create his own shot off the dribble and get off his shot in the pick and roll situation. His d has improved greatly with his improved conditioning.

Good luck to him and hopefully he makes it.

Reply #549529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do they do replacement wise now?

Reply #549538 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

TeRangi will start at SG for now. They will make a decision later on if he makes the team.

Reply #549539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CORLETTO

Reply #549545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto or Crawford

Reply #549549 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

might as well bring Phil Jones back before you mention Peter Crawford.

Magden?

Reply #549551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Webster's point rating

Reply #549554 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Corletto? Madgen? you know those two have both already signed contracts over seas...

Reply #549562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crawford

Reply #549563 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Thats awesome news for Webster.

I hope he makes it to the squad and carves out a good role in the team. The guy cann flat out score and deserves a go at least to prove himself in the Big Show.

Reply #549566 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No surprise, he's one of the many thousands with the talent to play in the NBA, now he's just got to show the Pelicans he can do what they need from that spot. I think his future is as a sparkplug reserve PG, the question is can he bring energy to defence like he does to offence.

Reply #549569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster was brought over for a 3-day "look in" of sorts to see if he was worthy of being part of training camp. So he's impressed enough to get to training camp. You'd probably still say he's more likely than not to be cut, right?

So from a Breakers perspective, it's probably worth waiting it out.

Reply #549570 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Considering how hard it will be to find a 'local' SG who can get anywhere close to Webster's production, they may have to sign an import SG/scorer (ala like a Beal), cut C.Jackson (Charles of course ;) and go get a player like Horvath in - and hope Pledger, Horvath and Wynyard can get you by at the C position.

Reply #549572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol

Reply #549573 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Peter Crawford would be a nice quick fix. Shooters shoot, and youd have to honour his range.

Still doubt Webster stays in the NBA all season, but until he returns that'd be a nice little rebuff.

Reply #549574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least the Breakers won't have Webster for the 36ers home opener ;)

Reply #549576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has never looked like an NBA level player to me. He isn't an exceptional athlete, undersized for a shooting guard, streaky and his high level talent is making tough contested shots at around 40% from the field. Ideally an offense wouldn't feature many of those shots.

He has always played well for the Tall Blacks and it's good to see him make the most of his opportunities once his 3rd chance was presented to him.

Reply #549579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet an NBA team is looking at him you dickhead

Reply #549580 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon,

The funny thing is that all the things you described about Webster can perfectly describe Dellavedova as well (save for the height..Webster is actually a much better shooter than Delly though) - yet he was actively in the rotation last year for the Cavs.

Reply #549582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was anon #549579 - Funnily enough I thought Delly had no chance of making the Olypmics or an NBA roster, and he would have had a solid NBL or mid tier European career if he had a passport. So I wouldn't pay too much attention to my scouting notes.

Another point is from watching the Oceania Championship game 2. I tried to watch pretending I didn't know anything about any of the players. I thought Broekhoff and Fotu looked as much like nba players as anyone else on the floor.

Reply #549583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much better shooter?

Webster career NBL: 40.8 FG, 37.5 3pts, 75.3 FT

Dellavedova career NBA: 38.6 FG, 38.8 3pts, 77.9 FT

Aside from Delly being a superior basketball player to Webster he shoots those percentages against NBA players, the best athletes in the world. Webster shoots those percentages against NBL players.

Reply #549584 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Delly shoots a lot of open threes AFAIK.

Webster is scouted and guarded pretty heavily.

Reply #549585 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I hope regardless of the situation that this is the start of a working relationship between Breakers and Pelicans.

It can only do the league great things if NBL teams are being looked at by huge clubs.

Gotta think it's the sort of thing that will lift Abercrombie to the potential that we think he has then nothing will.

Reply #549587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More than 50% of dellys shots last year were 3 pointers if I read an article correctly. A lot of them are going to be open when teams are heavily focused on defending lebron and Kyrie.

Delly might shoot better from outside 3, but inside the arc he shoots worse than a blind person playing 2k for the first time.

Reply #549592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what you need to understand is pro ball means show business. It needs to be fun to watch. Webster is. Delly is not.

Reply #549596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster got the call because he's been torching high level international guards for the last few tournaments and lead up games
His play against mills and delly helped this as well as his pick and roll play also
I would not be surprised if fotu is looked at closely next year as well - has an nba body and will benefit from another season in Europe

Reply #549605 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree, Fotu's potential at 21 is unbelievable. He played fairly solid minutes in the ACB as a 20 y.o.

One of the disadvantages of College Basketball - If he stayed at Hawaii, his first pro gig would have been as a 23/24 year old. You lose that "potential tag" somewhat. If you come out at 23/24, the pressure is really on to make your first gig work and to kick on. Otherwise the window really closes.

Reply #549620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe for him, but that window you are talking about MACDUB isn't the same for everyone. For some it works just fine and they need those years in college to devlop and prepare. It isn't 'one of the disadvantages of college' as you put it because it it 'horses for course'!

Reply #549626 | Report this post

scott  
Years ago

what about ennis if he is cut by the heat

Reply #549643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fotu has nba written all over him.

Reply #549743 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I assume the Pelicans signing Chris Douglas-Roberts for two years is not good for Webster's chances.

Reply #549752 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Angus, not too much of an issue considering CDR is a 6"7/6"8 slasher who isn't a shooter.

If they it was between CDR and Webster, they would have let Webster go back to NZ long ago - but its clear they dont seem them as substitutes per se.

In the grand scheme of things though it does mean one less roster spot available.

The best thing about Websters chances is that in the eyes of the Peli's hes a shooter. Thats his role. I think theres some understanding there that he isn't going to lock down defensively or make crazy plays for his teammates. I think this alleviates some of the pressure..hes there to shoot..if he does more than its a bonus. But simply put if he shoots really well at camp the spot is likely to be his. He is close..a few good shooting days could get him a contract.

I shot with him earlier this year and the dude went 97/100 on threes. Crazy.

Reply #549897 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Norris Cole has signed. End of the road for Webster?

Reply #550113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pelican's loss if true dat

Reply #550116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754