A true legend

Reply #549609 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

RIP Moses, what a champion he was.

Reply #549611 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

One of the most underrated legends in the history of the game. Rest easy big fella.

Reply #549612 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

For some reason none of the articles are saying the cause. Could it be suicide?

Reply #549618 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Another big man who dominated in the 80's dies too soon. Something was definitely floating around nba circles in the 80's which caused harm to the body! This is getting beyond a joke.

Reply #549622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alarmist^

Reply #549623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad news RIP

Reply #549625 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ahh was found in hotel room and the media used the term 'no foul play', that is really sad if its what you can imagine it was. Been a lot of heart related issue with big men from the 80's once they reach 50ish though.

Reply #549636 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Steriods were about. Everyone was taking them and few were aware of the effects. I don't think they tested for banned substances until the 90s, did they? I am not sure, I am just talking from observation.

Reply #549639 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Damnnnn was an apparent heart attack in his sleep. Alarming situation there will have to be a 30 for 30 on this situation brewing...

Reply #549641 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Giant men dying of heart attacks in their 50s or 60s isn't exactly a controversial issue...

Reply #549647 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From 1979 to 1987: Moses Malone averaged 25.5 points and 14.1 rebounds per game. Since then? No player has averaged that once in a season.

Career mixtape:

Reply #549651 | Report this post

Not suggesting this was the case with Moses or any of the recent deaths was cocaine use was rife in the NBA in the 70s and early 80s.

Reply #549653 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Alot of nba big men from this era with the same death types could be something though, mick these arent your regular uhealthy types at this age bracket. I wonder what the era before 50's 60's rate of heart attacks is/was?

Reply #549655 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Heart attack was what immediately came to mind- these 7 footers, their hearts often can't do the work those massive bodies need them to.

I hadn't realised he had 3 MVP's- looks like he was the NBA's pre eminent superstar right before the Bird and Johnson eras really took off...

RIP

Reply #549657 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

era*

Reply #549658 | Report this post

Where is everyone getting their "big men are at more risk of heart attacks" from? The research suggests the opposite is true.

Reply #549671 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ive heard something about the big man theory. Im no medico but just seems very odd last few years NBA guys from this era and body type are dropping like flies. Kersey, Haley, Dawkins, Malone now, Armon Gilliam, Michael Cage and a few more I can't think of off top of my head. Just seems very odd to me.

Reply #549672 | Report this post

Cage is still alive.

Reply #549674 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Wouldn't it simply be a normal ratio but just looks excessive because of the high profiled names.

Lets say over that 20 year NBA period there was 2000 players with 5-10 of them dying due to a heart attack.

Reply #549685 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Just seems its happening all the time, that these guys are not living to the Bill Russell age bracket anymore. Im sure if your crunch the numbers etc its not as drastic as it seems, but I still reckon its concerning. Dont hear ofd many Pg's and Sg's from that era with these issues. Sorry got cage mixed up with Anthony Mason, who out of the lot genuinely was completely out of shape and appeared to be a typical statistic.

Reply #549687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick did you really just call Moses Malone one of the most underrated???? Who else is on your underrated list? Kareem? Wilt?

Sad to hear he has passed away. Something JR Smith will never have to worry about ;)

Reply #549688 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754