LC
Years ago

Aussies in the NCAA 2015/16 Season

The list of the NCAA D1 Aussie women for the 2015/16 season complete with links to teams and conference is now available.

NCAA Women: 2015/16 Division I

66 Aussie women suiting up this season! Love to know if I have missed anyone who should be included.

Men's listing coming tomorrow.

Topic #37961 | Report this topic

FalconsTV  
Years ago

Damian, Missing Claire Ioannidis, Junior, Uni North Florida. http://www.unfospreys.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

Reply #549695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wehi and toleafoa are New Zealanders. Khaedin Taito also...

Reply #549696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan smith sophmore cal state North
Rebekah hatchard junior Montana state

Reply #549697 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Added Claire - good pickup.

As for Wehi - I am running from this as per Pacific website:

Whitnee Wehi F 6-2 Fr. Brisbane, Australia / John Paul

And for Toleafoa from Sanata clara website:

Dru Toleafoa 6-0 Guard Freshman Sydney, Australia / Brigidine College Randwick

Reply #549698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

St. Mary's jasmine Forcadilla, Molly McPhee
Oregon Morgan Yaegar
Texas Christian Ella hellessey
Wake forest Alex sharp
Seattle Georgia pinaeu
Hawaii Amy atwell

All next season 16/17?

Reply #549702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men.
Ben Simmons 6'10 f Louisiana state
Deng adel 6'7 f Louisville
Jonah bolden 6'10 f ucla
Jack mcveigh 6'8 f Nebraska
Joseph acuil 7'0 f Baylor
Kyle Clark 6'7 f st Mary's
Tanner krebs 6'6 g st Mary's
Jordan hunter 6'10 f st Mary's
Matthew McCarthy 6'9 f San Fransisco
Damien rance 6'8 f San francisco state
Abiola akintola 6'7 f denver
Callum barker 6'9 f Bradley
George blagojevic 6'8 f Hartford
Michael wearne 6'2 g Eastern Washington
Chiir maker 6'7 f Portland
Jesse hunt 6'7 f Eastern Washington
Deng Riak 6'10 f east Carolina
Jaden weldon 6'1 g nicholls state
Isaac Humphries 7'0 c Kentucky
Jakob cornelissen 6'1 g Hawaii

Reply #549703 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Damian Rance is at a D2 school.

Reply #549708 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes, those girls are all 16/17.

Reply #549709 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Yeah as someone said above Wehi and Toleafoa are New Zealanders. Tylah King at Pacific is also a New Zealander.

Reply #549731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of great kids with full scholarships at D2 schools LC. Will probably get heaps of court time too!

Reply #549733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Akintola listed same height as Clarke, that's hillarious.

Reply #549734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I watched K Wallace, she is no way 5-11

Reply #549735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

each year it appears more and more of our kids go to college, do you think that then weakens to 18 to 23yr old areas that fill our BigV and SEABL teams or is it worth it to get the stronger ones coming back to the senior ranks.

A large portion of those listed in the Div1 colleges are in really weak conferences, so you have to ask would they have been better staying and playing in BigV/SEABL where they would be playing against women(and men as its the same for boys) not kids their own age,it shouldn't be all about the hype of going to college, its easy to get a college offer, its the good offers that are hard to find.
How many of those listed are in top 10 or even top 20 programs.

Or are they going because their is not a lot here for them. BA should be looking at this and asking these same questions

Reply #549739 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think they might be going because they also get a free education anon. College isn't just about the basketball although that is a big part of the experience.

Reply #549795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree anon^ I was about to post similar. #739 asks some valid questions but frankly seems to think it is all about the basketball. Worse still anon #739 believes it is easy to get a college offer, really champ have you tried? Plenty of kids over there in strong D2's that are just as good as some of these D1 players too, but no scholarships are easy to get and you have to earn their keep with good grades or you are out!

Reply #549835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Furthermore a top 10 or 20 program means little if you'll be riding the bench for 4 long years. Also ranking can fluctuate wildly....top 20 this year can be 120 next. Look where Steph Curry went.

Reply #549856 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Our men's list is now also up!

NCAA Men: 2015/16 Division I

A few potential NBA players in there...

Reply #549865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bridget obrien is back already , did not return for freshman year.

Reply #549867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#739 Knock back $160k USD worth of scholarship to play SEABL ? That's why the juniors are lining up to get over there.

Reply #549868 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks for the feedback on O'Brien. Now updated.

Reply #549882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All future boomers...
Simmons
Adel
Bolden
Mcveigh
Humphries

Maybe Clark
Maybe krebs

Reply #549884 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Added Smith and Hatchard.

Went with heights listed in their player profiles.

Reply #549902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lc, how do you determine who the good high school prospects are?

Reply #549904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prospects from u18 champs?
Zitina Aokuso
Monique andriulo
Annabelle Lindsay
Chelsea brook
Lauren mills Norton
Carleigh Patrick
Amy atwell

Reply #549905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re college v Big V Maybe think of this from the players perspective College brings with it a lifestyle They would not train 20 hours per week playing Big V they would not play in front of crowds of thousands in big V. They would hvae to work or go to uni and would not experience life of an athlete. These kids have only one chance to play college and that is straight out of school If they love the game why not experience it at the fullest Who cares how strong the conference is Most of them wont make a life long living from bball alone so let them enjoy the ride

Reply #549910 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Is this the most promising group of Aussies in us college hoops ever?

Reply #549911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kid is over there in a strong D2 college at the moment and loving it, but he is studying hard and wants the education as much as the experience and the basketball. They call them student-athletes, the word student comes first. While it is all good for those who wan to be pro-basketball athletes, realistically speaking it is a very small window and lots can go wrong. Wish all of them well, but without an education these days you do leave yourself and your future vulnerable.

Reply #549912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alanna smith will be a future opal at pf I'm sure.

Building a nice squad for the future... U20...
Wallace
Antoniadou
Tupaea
Horvat
Maley
A.Froling
Smith
Magbegor
Scherf

Plus younger girls..

Reply #549915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly plenty of talent coming through , be interesting though to see how those who go to college compare with those who don't in the next few years.

Reply #549931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wehrung, Pirini, tupaea and scherf are probably the standouts who ain't going to college?

Reply #549935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many Opals have been to College?

Reply #549975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hot at could definitely be an Opal, Wallace and Tupea

Reply #549986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4yrs is a long time, think you will find a few more on that list plus some that are not will find their way into the opals squad and thn on from that, especially if their is a change of coach in that time

Reply #549994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 1 ever college player has become an Opal.

Reply #550008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is probably because up until a few years ago the AIS provided a viable pathway for Ausie talent. The women's program was not as adversely effected by the cut back to CoE as they were far more highly ranked at the time and still are. The future will see many div 1 college players in our national teams IMHO.

Reply #550014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Only 1 ever college player has become an Opal."

So that must be Australia's problem considering US national teams are all college players.

Reply #550017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are ranked number 2 in the world so I'm not sure it is Australia's problem. Maybe less men should go to College and we would be more competitive?

To be an Opal/Boomer maybe only 1 or 2 per age group year will ever do that. The CoE will no doubt invite the most likely of these into the BA system.

Reply #550030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reason we are ranked 2 was more a golden generation thing than anything else. Watch the next few years.

Reply #550035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of retirements in the next 2 years you would think for the opals.
not sure we will hold 2nd spot. Lacking some serious depth at pg.

Reply #550037 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The top 5 Aussie freshman men to look out for heading into the college hoops season!

Meet the Freshmen! Top 5 Australian freshmen for the upcoming NCAA season

Reply #550082 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Have we ever produced a list of freshmen that good over the years LC?

I can't recall five players with this much potential, and I know there is more to come, just saying that basketball is looking good down under these days, damn good...

Reply #550086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there's been a freshman group as good as that. Bright times ahead!

Reply #550089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's?
Smith - Stanford
Antoniadou - Florida state
Dennis - Dayton
.?
.?

Reply #550091 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tough to be able to come up with a better incoming freshman class than this, especially with the guys that could not be squeezed into the top 5. Plenty of additional Australian junior representatives in this group.

Reply #550093 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tough to be able to come up with a better incoming freshman class than this, especially with the guys that could not be squeezed into the top 5. Plenty of additional Australian junior representatives in this group.

Reply #550094 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting view point LC, that of Australian representation. Thing is, that we can only fit a few players into the Boomer squad at any time.

Basketball, being what it is, more and more we increase the number of quality athletes in our sport, the more we approach the problem of not being able to fit them all in.

I am not saying we will be like the USA, who could produce 4 world class national teams, I am saying it is potentially a great problem to have.

We will need them all though, because as has been experienced in the past, when they make the NBA they may not always be allowed to play for their country either...

Reply #550098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a lot of these good college athletes though it's not just about playing for boomers or opals, it's about taking their basketball to the next level to actually be able to make a living from what they love. So maybe not all will be able to make the aus teams but some may choose to forgo that avanue ( some already have) and keep playing in Europe, nba/wnba.

Reply #550128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would be the women's top 5 freshmen LC?

Reply #550156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to note their are 45 men playing div1 compared to the 66 women seems our Aussie girls are finding their way via college paths

Reply #550188 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Top 5 women coming this weekend

Reply #550191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would be the younger girls pushing to play for the opals.

Reply #550194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could speculate about lots coming through but the reality is once the next Olympics is done and dusted anything could happen depending on the coach as we saw with the insertion of Joyce.
Lots of talent being developed in both girls and boys, and many years still ahead of them

Reply #550206 | Report this post

Europa23  
Years ago

And let's not forget these are just the kids with the grades to get into a 4 year school in D1. D2 kids will have made the decision on playing time and quality of education. There are other players who have had to go the JuCo route because of grades who will no doubt end up in D1 as transfers. While I agree that the sheer number of kids heading off to college will leave holes in our domestic adult comps, it's not about us, it's about them!

For 90% it's not about getting into the National team, it's about free(-ish) education, eat/breathe basketball 24/7 for 4 years and life experience. It's also about experiencing the basketball skills and coaching in a country where there are more full time professional coaches with decades of experience than you can poke a stick at! As some of the imports in our domestic leagues showed, the skills and athleticism of US college players is often amazing. Imagine what these kids will bring back to Australia if and when they return in terms of skills and experience from total immersion in a hopefully professionally run program. Skills in conditioning, recruiting, film analysis, injury management, logistics, game management, training methods, scouting etc etc. Imagine how the journey will shape them as adults.

I doubt any of them actually care about which conference they play in. The ones in the stronger conferences will ride the pine a lot more than the ones in weaker conferences who should get good time as freshmen, and they all have an opportunity for participating in March Madness if they do well in whatever conference they play in. The kids outside of the standouts in the stronger conferences are more at risk of being recruited over the top of, so there are a lot of factors involved in what division, what conference, what university they accept.

I can't wait to see what this contingent of young men and women do, but I bet we'll all be very proud of the products of our Aussie basketball communities!

Reply #550413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ great post

Reply #550420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's?
Smith - Stanford
Antoniadou - Florida state
Dennis - Dayton
.?
.?

McKay - st Marys would have to be up there but after these four wouldn't have a clue,

Reply #550600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Europa23 is pretty much spot on...

Reply #550606 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Just had a look at the St Marys College mens roster and there are 6 Australians. You would think the NCAA would have some sort of limit in the number of foreign scholarship players on a team. Not that I am complaining because it will be great for us to watch.

Reply #551230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The women have amost the same too,

Reply #551239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2015/2016
Naar 6'1 soph
Krebs 6'6 fres
Clark 6'7 fres
Pinaeu 6'9 jun
Hunter 6'10 fres
Landale 6'11 soph

Kaser 5'10 sen
Turner 5'11 soph
Nicholson 6'0 sen
McKay 6'3 fres

2016/2017
Naar 6'1 jun
Krebs 6'6 soph
Clark 6'7 soph
Pinaeu 6'9 sen
Hunter 6'10 soph
Landale 6'11 jun
Maybe 1 more to be added...

Forcadilla 5'8 Fres
Turner 5'11 jun
McKay 6'3 soph
McPhee 6'3 fres
Maybe 1 more to be added...

Reply #551246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone has plenty of time on their hands^

Reply #551256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being disabled has its benefits...

Reply #551261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pineau is going to Boston College in the ACC, not Seattle.

Going to get a degree paid for, wether it is d1, d2 etc doesn't matter, is far more valuable than playing SEABL,NBL or WNBL from 18-22. Both are really part time leagues for young kids. Small percentage will make a living playing basketball. Getting a degree and life experience of being away from home and in the USA college system is worth way more.

Girls have been far more reluctant than boys to go to USA for college but that should change. Other than really top/elite players ie Jackson, Cambage going to college and being in a full time USA program is equal to or better than training 3 times a week and playing once a week in the WNBL.

Boys it is a no contest. College system has prepared them to be better basketball players than staying home..... Bogut, Mills, Delle, Bairstow, Simmons, Brokoef, Motum, etc etc etc.....
Like it or not the college system offers them a degree to fall back on and a better pathway to basketball success as well.

Reply #551264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting to see just how many are in div2 and Juco in both men and women to give a good idea of just how many end up over in the USA, more interesting would be how many stay the full 4 yrs

Reply #551273 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anthony Drmic is back. Back in training at least, as the Boise State Broncos commenced their first official practice session for the upcoming 2015/16 NCAA season.

NCAA Men: Anthony Drmic is back...in training

"I had a minor, well major complication with my surgery," Drmic stated.

“It was a rare thing that happened. I ended up getting some nerve damage from my nerve block, so it's been a little bit slower, but the staff has been great helping me and I’m working hard with rehab so hopefully within a couple of weeks I’ll be ready to go.”

Full video interview.

Reply #552281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice one LC, good interview to listen to and explains what this bloke has had to endure.

Reply #552291 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The college basketball season is fast approaching, and like with the men, we have some talented Australian women set to grace the NCAA hardwood for the very first time.

We take a look at the top five Australian freshmen women heading into the upcoming NCAA season.

NCAA Women: The top 5 freshmen Aussies

Alanna Smith is IMO the standout this coming season.

Reply #552601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems to be the year for 6'3 bigs to go to USA, only one guard.
Is that how the order they are ranked or just listed that way.
Alanna Smith is certainly a talent to watch , it will be interesting to see where they play her though as Stanford have six players 6'3 and above all listed as F plus two 6' G, that's one very tall team.

Reply #552735 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That's the order we ranked them heading into this season.

Reply #552816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it will be very interesting to see how they fare.Their rankings will no doubt change once the season kicks off properly as the roles on each team will tell.
When does the season actually start. preseason is soon isnt it?

Reply #552825 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Teams start their non-conference schedules in early November.

It is always tough to tell which first year players will shine as it will all be dependent on the opportunities they receive.

Reply #552829 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

LC is there any particular conference web sites or just the NCAA posts that you would recommend to see how our Aussies abroad are doing?

I wouldn't expect the Yanks to focus on our basketball athletes, but if they do well any particular week they will be promoted within that conference as a highlight player regardless I imagine.

They seem to do some really good stories over there, like the interviews with Drmic and others in the past, but some do it better than others, so just wondering if you have some links worth following especially in D1 or D2 basketball...

Reply #552936 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

ESPN and CBS are very good for covering the best performing men, but most team websites are pretty good across men and women.

Use the team and conference website links on our listing to get directly there.

The women's coverage is pretty much limited to team and conference sites.

As an update, the top 5 Aussie freshman women list has been updated. Dani Milisic has been confirmed as actually being a class of 2016 athlete and hence has been replaced.

Reply #553197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you rank them, what's the criteria that puts these ones as top five and in that order ?

Reply #553201 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Our own assessment and opinion of their talent, previous performance and coupled with that of anticipated opportunities at their respective schools this coming season.

Reply #553208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK thanks, good to see some interest for our boys and girls in college.

Reply #553228 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The 2015/16 NCAA Division I season may well be set to unleash the most gifted array of Australian men's talent ever.

Such is the class of the incoming freshmen, combined with the outstanding talent of those returning, we are set for a massive season ahead. However who will be the standout Aussie this season? Guess who is the frontrunner...

NCAA Men: Pre-season top 10 Aussies

Reply #561133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think half those guys in the top 10 will make the nba.

Reply #561158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mcveigh?

Reply #561159 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

McVeigh was just outside my top 10. Who does he push out?

Loads of talent coming into college ranks this season! I also left out Majok Deng who will play a big role at Louisiana Monroe.

Reply #561207 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There will be a few more quality D1's next season too LC, I think the flood gates are well and truly opening up. So many players to keep an eye out for now, maybe someone with the capability and know how to do so can set up some kind of Aussie College Basketball web site dedicated solely to basketball (D1 and D2)?

Reply #561306 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think the floodgates had already opened, however the talent coming through right now has never been higher.

Bear - we have D1 lists for men and women, and I can tell you it was a lot of time and effort to get them set up, let alone maintain. 300+ D1 basketball programs!

Extending to D2 and beyond is even more effort, but would be great to be able to offer. However our current capacity with our existing resources does not allow it. If someone wanted to help out with compiling the list, we could definitely place up on the site too.

Reply #561330 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think you guys are doing a great job LC, of course it is time consuming and with more people helping I am sure you guys could cover all Aussies in D1 to D3, keep up the good work hopefully down the track it will become easier.

I guess my point is technology driven, if somehow we could cut the time to research every Aussie by having some kind of connect with the colleges themselves?

I am not sure how it would be done but the time it takes is obviously the catalyst for improvement and technology may be the answer...

Reply #561334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think mcveigh is top 10. Pushing out cooks...

Reply #561411 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Could well do so...always tough to predict what may happen!

Reply #561417 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The 2015/16 NCAA Division I season will see the greatest number of incoming freshmen Aussies possibly ever. Combined with a number of returning stars, all Aussie hoops fans should be excited for a big season ahead.

As with the men, I once again take a crack at selecting the pre-season top 10 Aussie women who are the ones most likely to be the standouts to keep an eye out for.

NCAA Women: Pre-season top 10 Aussies

Reply #564038 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

This time it's Claire Ioannidis making waves! 29pts in her first Div1 game.

"Junior-transfer Claire Ioannidis led the way for the Ospreys with 29 points, the most in a single game by any North Florida women's basketball player in the program's D-1 era (2005-present). She was a perfect, 12-for-12 from the free throw line, also a school record for the most free throws without a miss in a single game. Ioanndis was key in icing the game down the stretch, as all 12 of her free throws came in the fourth quarter, eight in the final minute of the game...."

http://unfospreys.com/news/2015/11/13/WBB_1113151319.aspx

Reply #564416 | Report this post

Europa23  
Years ago

Way to go CLAIRE! Check results from all College Aussies across NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA at bbexscouting.com under News/Results. Just saw this today, hope they keep it up to date as will save lots of time

Reply #564428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nakkasoglu and Brewster both killing it at Utah state.

Smith had a descent game today at Stanford, along with panousis at Virginia tech.

Reply #564435 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some massive performance by the Aussie girls on opening day.

Also some other big performances by the men too, and not just Ben Simmons either.

NCAA Men: Simmons and the Aussies shine on opening day

Emmett Naar, Anthony Drmic, Felix von Hofe, Peter Hooley, Taylor Dyson, George Blagojevic, Callum Barker and Majok Deng all had some big games.

Reply #564491 | Report this post

Europa23  
Years ago

I actually love the Pick and Rolls coverage, but if you're not in an Australian program
you don't seem to rate a mention. check out this smorgasbord. Results for 14 November.

Try this link for the girls.

http://www.bbexscouting.com/#!Aussie-Women-in-the-US-Colleges-November-14-Results/av7vi/564674210cf2e1ca27979724

And this for the boys

http://www.bbexscouting.com/#!Aussie-Men-in-the-US-Colleges-November-14-Results/av7vi/564681de0cf21009be864054

Reply #564496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Europa, getting mentioned takes a bit more than one game success. Girls mentioned have a track record. And there are a few among them who have been totally ignored by BA.

Reply #564498 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It was a day of impressive NCAA Division I collegiate debut's for the Australian women, led by the exploits of Claire Ioannidis.

NCAA Women: Ioannidis spearheads Aussie assault

Reply #564524 | Report this post

Europa23  
Years ago

Sorry anon, I think you missed my point. There are apparently a couple of hundred Aussies in College basketball. The number of kids playing means an analysis nightmare for the guys at the p&r, so rightly they have to pick and choose. On the pick and roll, we hear about maybe 20-30 per year. think of it as a select menu of a few. I posted some links showing all the kids in action on just one day. Its great to see in one place how all the kids are going.

Reply #564546 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I just want to be clear on what the PnR reports on with regards to the performances of Aussies in the NCAA.

Our primary focus is on D1, and even then it is on the players who are seeing plenty of court time and making large contributions as generally people want to know who are those that are playing and doing really well. Our resources only enable us to cover at this level, although we would love to do more.

As Europa points out, to cover everyone is a logistical nightmare. So with that in mind, those players not playing or they are receiving very little court time will therefore not receive very many mentions.

We do however have a full listing of all the D1 players for men and women with links to teams and conferences.

Reply #564648 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

While the basketball world drooled over the college debut performance by Ben Simmons, two more wins later the hype continues to build around the potential #1 NBA draft pick in 2016.

NCAA Men: Simmons hype continues to build

Big, consistent performances this past week from Simmons, the boys at Saint Mary's, Boise State, Eastern Washington, Cooks, Deng and Donlan...

Reply #566012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

37 pts for Utah states funda nakkasoglu against pacific.

Reply #566013 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This past week Ben Simmons continued to deliver in many different ways, while Venky Jois and George Blagojevic also impressed.

NCAA Men: Simmons delivers in different ways, Jois and Blagojevic impress

Reply #567386 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some more college updates...

The Aussie men are helping lead the Saint Mary's resurgence - the Gael's are off to an unbeaten start.

NCAA Men: Naar and Landale ensure Gaels stay unbeaten

Plus some more on Ben Simmons and where his 43 points stacks up amongst the Aussies all-time in the NCAA.

Special? Simmons' best work is yet to be

Reply #569483 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It was a massive week for the Aussie women in Division I action, with a number earning weekly conference accolades. Arguably none had a greater impact that Virginia Tech's Vanessa Panousis.

NCAA Women: Panousis picks up ACC and ESPNW awards

Reply #569974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to LC and this thread. Hasn't been updated for a while or has he just got sick of being told his extraordinary, free service is not good enough because it doesn't cover everyone on the planet playing basketball?

Reply #570901 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good question.
I like being spoon-fed my Bianca Dufelmeier updates. Sucks to have to go find them myself.

Reply #570909 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The weekly update is back by popular (2) demand!

NCAA Men: Jonah Bolden breaks out for UCLA

After a relatively quiet start to his collegiate career with UCLA, Jonah Bolden played a key role off the bench in helping upset #20 ranked Gonzaga.

Plus big performances from Drmic, Jois, Donlan, Hooley, Simmons and more!

Reply #570912 | Report this post

Curry  
Years ago

"Defensively, LSU has allowed their opponent to score over 10 points in their past two games"

10 or 100?

Reply #570913 | Report this post

Clapped out Hack  
Years ago

Good to see you back LC. :)

Reply #570972 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Women's update coming tomorrow morning 9am AEST

Reply #571007 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It was a week to remember for many of the Aussie women this week, as no less than four players registered career-high scoring performances, while Virginia Tech's Hannah Young equaled a record that she now shares with Vanessa Panousis.

NCAA Women: Aussie women run riot

Reply #571061 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Keanu Pinder commits to New Mexico!

VKeanu Pinder follows Chris Harriman to New Mexico

Reply #571416 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mangok Mathiang has broken his foot and will miss 6-8 weeks while Deng Adel is set to return from a sprained MCL this week for #19 Louisville.

NCAA Men: Louisville's Mathiang breaks foot, Adel set to return

PS: Ben Simmons with a near triple-double of 24 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists & 1 steal in LSU's win over Western Kentucky.

Reply #571550 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The awards keep coming for the Australians, with Stephanie Collins and Marena Whittle both earning recognition for their performances this week. Elsewhere, Ashley Taia set a second career-high in as many games, while Megan McKay notched the first double-double of her short college career.

NCAA Women: Whittle and Collins gain conference recognition

PS: Keely Froling is also back from injury!

Reply #571758 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A host of Aussie forwards have dominated the college hoops scene this past week, including two Eagles, a Warhawk, a Gael, and one certain LSU Tiger.

NCAA Men: Aussie forwards stand tall

Reply #571759 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It was a week of few games, but the Aussies still managed to dish up more than their share of good performances. Marena Whittle had two double-doubles for North Dakota State whilst Nicole Seekamp claimed another Summit League Player of the Week award with a stunning all-round performance in a win over Illinois.

NCAA Women: Whittle and Seekamp dominate

Reply #572320 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Once again it was the Aussie big men doing most of the damage in NCAA Division I hoops this past week, with Ben Simmons and Gael's duo Dane Pineau and Jock Landale leading the way.

NCAA Men: Simmons leads the way for Aussie big men

Also, Daniel Mading committed to Arizona State:

Daniel Mading commits to Arizona State

Reply #572344 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

2016 has started remarkably well for the Australians, with no less than four players picking up weekly awards. It was also another great week for Marena Whittle, who moved into the top 20 in the country for double-doubles with her 7th of the season.

NCAA Women: Aussies earn weekly honours

Reply #572786 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It was hard to look past Ben Simmons yet again this week, however he was not alone as a number of Australian men continued to impress in NCAA Division I basketball.

NCAA Men: Ben Simmons is not the only Aussie impressing

Reply #572909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2016/2017 college signings already..

Aus Girls
A.Sharp 6'1 g wake forest
J.Forcadilla 5'8 g st Mary's
M.Yaegar 5'9 g Oregon
E.Hellessey 6'2 f tcu
G.pinaeu 6'2 f Boston
A.Atwell 6'0 f Hawaii
M.McPhee 6'3 f st Mary's
S.dufficy 6'1 f Utah state
G.collett 6'4 f gonzaga
B.wunhym 5'6 g Hawaii
J.johnson 5'10 g st Francis Brooklyn
C.middap 5'10 g Hawaii
B.thacker 5'11 g Idaho state
another 10 or so more expected...

Nz girls
K.Manuiriangi 5'7 g Tulane
K.noyer 6'4 f Fresno state
T.graham 5'9 g Colgate
M.nicholls 5'3 g la salle
S.salmon 6'3 f byu
L.wairau 5'9 g Indiana

Aus Boys
T.wilson 6'4 g smu
J.perry 7'1 f st Mary's
K.hayward 6'5 g lsu
D.reath 6'10 f lsu
K.pinder 6'8 f new Mexico
G.gak 6'11 f Oklahoma state
J.hodgson 6'3 g Bradley
E.malou 6'9 f Iowa state
M.peatling 6'7 f eastern Washington
M.owies 6'0 g Hawaii
Another 10 or so more expected...

Nz boys
M.freeman 6'10 f Oklahoma
S.timmins 6'10 f Washington

Reply #573091 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Australian women have been taking NCAA Division I hoops by storm this season! With conference play now underway, we take a look at the first couple of months of the season and rank the top 5 Aussies by performance and impact.

NCAA Women: Mid-season top 5

Reply #573150 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

So many Australian men are standing out in NCAA Division I hoops this season. With conference play now underway, we now take a look at the first couple of months of the season and rank the top 5 Aussies by performance and impact.

NCAA Men: Simmons headlines mid-season Top 5

Reply #573228 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ben Simmons was one of just 2 freshman selected to the Wooden Award mid-season watch list of 25 players in contention for the 2015/16 NCAA Division I men's player of the year award.

NCAA Men: Simmons named to mid-season Wooden Award list

Includes full list of top 25.

Reply #573471 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nail-biters were the order of the week for the Aussies in NCAA Division I action this week, with a handful of games finishing with margins of fewer than three points, with another going to overtime. Whilst players like Kristy Wallace and Sara Anastasieska came up big in clutch situations, Carly Turner was making the most of increased opportunities for Saint Mary's, muscling in on weekly honours in the process.

NCAA Women: Gaels’ turning opportunities into success

Reply #573589 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

In a big wrap up of the past two weeks, Jock Landale has continued his emergence at Saint Mary's while Ben Simmons continues to dominate college basketball, both earning conference accolades this week.

NCAA Men: Landale and Simmons earn conference awards

Reply #574107 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Aussie women in college continued to collect awards this week, with Nicole Seekamp, Alicia Froling and Geraldine McCorkell all receiving recognition for their outstanding play. Meanwhile, Saint Mary's Australian quartet put together some solid performances of their own to help the Gaels to a win over fellow Australian Emily Simons and Pacific.

NCAA Women: Seekamp’s heroics guide Coyotes home

Reply #574407 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ben Simmons might be drawing all the attention, however there is another Aussie big man who continues to turn heads, that man is Majok Deng

NCAA Men: Simmons the standout, Deng turning heads

Reply #574986 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Plenty of good news beyond Simmons there LC. Venky Jois's numbers look like he would be a good fit as a Vukona or Petrie type in the NBL. What sort of level are we expecting him to play at after college? Will he come to the NBL?

We also seem to have some sharpshooters coming through in Naar, Von Hofe and Donlan too!

Reply #575012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons is clearly going to be great and almost certainly Australia's best ever, but apart from having to work on his shot, has anyone noticed he finishes exclusively with his right hand? Can he truly be called ambidextrous when he shows a total unwillingness to use his left hand?

I think I heard or read something where he said he finishes with his right when he drives left to draw more fouls, but there have been a few times he has been blocked going left and finishing with the right when a left-handed finish would have avoided the block.

This isn't to detract at all from his immense talent and potential, but it is perhaps another (less talked-about) area he will have to work on for the next level.

Reply #575035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought drmic might get a invite to an Nba camp...I'm not so sure now. Having his worst season in college imo.

Alicia froling looking like she might make the wnba if she continues playing so well.
33 points, 22 rebounds, 3 blocks

Reply #575038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brother Harry committed to SMU recently

Reply #575044 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - Harry Froling committed to SMU this past week, joining Tom Wilson on a nationally ranked program for next season.

Dejan Vasiljevic committed to Miami too.

Jois could get some very good offers in Europe, fringe NBA but is currently unable to stretch defenses as he has not yet demonstrated range to the arc. Europe seems most likely.

Drmic is still battling lower leg never complications from his ankle surgery. This has limited him severely. NBL may be his best bet in the short term.

Reply #575426 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Australians were back among the awards, earning some Australia Day Honours of a different type, as Tuesday saw Claire Ioannidis pick up the Atlantic Sun Newcomer of the Week, whilst Marena Whittle was awarded the Summit League Player of the Week after two double-doubles boosted her tally to ten for the season.

NCAA Women: Ioannidis and Whittle lead the way

Reply #575427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought drmic might get a invite to an Nba camp...I'm not so sure now. Having his worst season in college imo.

Alicia froling looking like she might make the wnba if she continues playing so well.
33 points, 22 rebounds, 3 blocks

It's great to see Aussies doing well, but you also need to put it into context.
howcstrong is the team they are in? Are they the best players on that team, then look at the conferences the team plays in, and how they rank nationally.

Using SMU as an example, Simmons is surrounded by strong players, and that's not Taking anything away from his game as he's having a stand out season, Froling on the other hand would be the strongest on that team for sure( also great player) SMU men's sit at the top of their conference and rank 13th nationally, yet their actual conference is not classed as a top one in the NCAA, the SMU women on the other hand, sit mid field, yes they have THE best team in the NCAA in Conneticut for the women , but the rest in their conference don't even rank, SMU themselves come in at 135 , so it all needs to be put into perspective, bit like having a bench player for a state team go play domestic of course they should be raking up the stats, but put them up against a strong opponent and the outcome could be different( though both these would be strong in any game so yes makes my comment look a little crazy but SMU was the best way to point out the differences between comps and standards.)
Some of the standards these kids are playing in and against are not actually that good just because they are ranked as DIV 1......... It's the size of the college that gives the ranking, not the depth.

Reply #575543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly look at Markus Thornton at the Kings , all time colledge points scorer etc, but so bad at the Kings and playing against men. Cadee far better player and went through the Australian system.

Reply #575576 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There were several excellent performances by Australians, but this week no doubt belonged to Alicia Froling. The sophomore forward set two school records and also compiled career-high's in scoring and rebounding on her way to leading SMU to victory against Cincinnati. Elsewhere, the freshmen had a week to remember, with Courtney Woods, Megan McKay, and Rachel Brewster all producing top-notch performances.

NCAA Women: Alicia Froling rewrites the record books

Reply #576108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

List of Aussie Males in USA updated Nov 2015

USA Curtis Ryan 206 F 93 Alaska-Anchorage
USA McTier Jackson 201 F 95 Alaska-Anchorage
USA Hooley Peter 193 G 92 Albany
USA Rowley Samuel 198 F 92 Albany
USA Rowley Mike 203 F 94 Albany
USA Soukup Declan 190 G 94 Assumption
USA Ursich Benjamin 198 F Augusta
USA Brazendale Matthew 190 G 94 Augustana, SD
USA Guscott Nathan 190 G Baker
USA Van Lunenburg Dean 206 F/C Baker
USA Acuil Joseph 213 F Baylor
USA * Deng Deng 203 F 92 Baylor
USA Derksen Josh 206 F 95 Bellarmine
USA Antelmi Sergio 201 F Black Hills St.
USA Mayer Sam 206 C Black Hills St.
USA * Drmic Anthony 198 G/F 92 Boise State
USA Duncan Nick 203 F 95 Boise State
USA Barker Callum 206 F 96 Bradley
USA Bokenham Cameron 203 F Brewton-Parker
USA * Kostur Bosko 201 G/F 94 Bryant
USA Aldridge Jackson 183 G 92 Butler
USA Flowers Kean Cabrillo CC
USA Moneke Chima 199 F Cal-Davis
USA Bairstow Jarred 201 F 92 Central Oklahoma
USA Saffin Leigh 196 SG Chadron St.
USA Daly Sam 193 G 95 Chaminade
USA Kuany Kuany 201 G Chaminade
USA Bairstow Cameron 206 F 90 Chicago B.
USA Dellavedova Matthew 193 G 90 Cleveland Cavs (NBA)
USA * Irving Kyrie 190 G 92 Cleveland Cavs (NBA)
USA Janssen Jonothan 206 F 95 Cleveland State
USA Wyatt Darrean 203 F Co.Georgia
USA Osborne Stefan 183 PG 92 Coker
USA Preston Sean 183 PG 93 Coker
USA Stephan Ryan 208 C Colorado Mesa
USA Merbin Van 185 G Colorado NW CC
USA Kahler Nelson 203 C Colorado St. -Pueblo
USA Clarke Anderson 198 G Concordia Irvine
USA Gerlach Geoff 203 F Concordia Irvine
USA Simpson Lucas 201 PF 91 Concordia Irvine
USA Millar Campbell 193 F 96 Culver Stockton
USA Dow Michael 196 G 93 Cumberlands
USA Dow Joshua 198 F 95 Cumberlands
USA Harrick Declan 208 C 93 Delta St.
USA Madgen Jack 196 G 93 Delta St.
USA Akintola Abiola 198 F 97 Denver
USA O'Sullivan Seamus 198 G/F Des Moines Area CC
USA * Baynes Aron 208 C 86 Detroit Pistons (NBA)
USA Sintras Jordan G/F Dodge City CC
USA Riak Deng 208 C 95 E.Carolina
USA Kiir Chol 203 C E.Utah JC
USA Hill Daniel 175 PG 93 E.Washington
USA Hunt Jesse 201 F E.Washington
USA McKay Geremy 201 F 96 E.Washington
USA Von Hofe Felix 196 F 93 E.Washington
USA Jois Venky 203 F 93 Eastern Washington
USA Kyei Obi 203 F 94 Eckerd
USA Oswald Joshua 201 F 94 Emporia St.
USA Battee-Aston Dekeba 206 F Fordham
USA Robateau Jamaal 196 G Gardner-Webb
USA * Thoseby Adam 196 G 91 Georgia SW
USA Towers Cade 206 F 95 Georgia SW
USA Bogut Andrew 213 C 84 Golden St. Warriors (NBA)
USA Ocwieja Jack 211 C Grambling St.
USA Jackson Matt 203 F Grand Canyon
USA Martin Gerard 198 G 95 Grand Canyon
USA Deng Kiir 206 F Harcum CC
USA Blagojevic George 203 F 96 Hartford
USA Dyson Taylor 193 G 93 Hartford
USA Hobbs Jack 201 F Hartford
USA Weir Dougal 206 C 94 Hartford
USA Purchase Jack 203 F 95 Hawaii
USA Akec Madut PF High School
USA Bak Bol 190 F High School
USA Clarke Austin 195 F 97 High School
USA Daow Gairges PG High School
USA Gak Deng 207 C 98 High School
USA Gak Gorjok C High School
USA Healy Cameron High School
USA Kiir Mayan 202 F High School
USA Mading Daniel 206 F High School
USA Mading Marial 193 G High School
USA Monteleone Giordano 195 F/G High School
USA * Noi Kouat 202 F 97 High School
USA Wilson Jedekaih 178 G High School
USA Howe Dylan Highland CC, IL
USA Cummings Lochlan 183 PG Hope International
USA Snow Jaecob 180 PG 92 Hope International
USA Wilson Ben 198 G Idaho State
USA Smith Brad 191 G/F 87 Indiana G.
USA Mifsud Laurence 213 C 94 Indiana Tech
USA O'Brien JJ 185 G Iowa E.
USA Tucek Brendan 194 F 95 Iowa Lakes CC
USA Malou Emmanuel 206 PF Iowa St.
USA Manumaleuga Jalen 180 PG Jackson St.
USA Humphries Isaac 216 C 98 Kentucky
USA Hafoka John L.Superior
USA Musters Nathaniel 208 C 93 Lafayette
USA Clark Ryan 203 F 94 Lake Region CC
USA Kubank Tom 198 Lake Region CC
USA Nuul Daniel Lake Region CC
USA Rennie Benjamin Lake Region CC
USA Elder Scott 203 C Lander
USA Schulz Mathew 216 C Lander
USA Luol Diing Lee JC
USA Reath Duop 206 F Lee JC
USA Omamogho Isaiah 185 G 93 Lewis-Clark St.
USA Adel Deng 201 F Louisville
USA * Mathiang Mangok 208 F/C 92 Louisville
USA Abbott Hamish 196 G Lourdes
USA Steen Daniel 198 G Lourdes
USA Humphries David 193 G 91 Loyola Mary
USA Spiers Joshua 201 F 96 Loyola Mary
USA Malone Darcy 213 C 93 LSU
USA Simmons Benjamin 208 F 96 LSU
USA Griffin James 196 G Marist
USA Van Rijn Luke 196 G Mars Hill
USA Thomas Patrick 190 G Mary
USA Volkman Ben 206 C Maryville, MO
USA Dean Leigh 178 PG Mayville St.
USA Bongiovanni Louis 178 G Mayville State
USA Autiak Deng G McCook CC
USA Puondak Makuei F McCook CC
USA Jackson Tevin 201 G/F 94 McNeese State
USA Graham Ben 185 G Menlo
USA Dech Sunday 193 G Metro St.
USA Ficken Bradley Miami Dade CC
USA Kuany Deng 200 F Miles CC
USA Carroll Piers 201 F Mobile, AL
USA Tut Ran 206 F Monroe Coll.
USA Krslovic Fabijan 203 F 95 Montana
USA Lopez Jack 196 F 94 Montana
USA Ciganovic Patrick 198 F Mount Marty
USA Spehr Nathan 178 PG 92 N.Alabama
USA De Laveaga Kye 186 G 94 N.Arizona
USA Gullotta Matthew 193 F N.Country CC
USA Fischer Angus N.Iowa Area CC
USA Bior Atem 185 G N.Mexico Highlands
USA Pal Chudier 206 C 92 NC-Asheville
USA McVeigh Jack 203 F 96 Nebraska
USA Pupavac Jacob 203 C 97 New Haven
USA Logan Matthew 188 G 93 New Mexico Highlands
USA Burns Hamish 190 G Newberry
USA Riggs Mitchell 196 G 93 Newberry
USA McBeath Sam 201 F Nicholls St.
USA Prest Lachlan 201 F 92 Nicholls St.
USA Thomas Liam 213 F Nicholls St.
USA Weldon Jaden 185 G Nicholls St.
USA Megins Oliver 203 F Notre Dame, OH
USA Goodrick Harrison 203 F/C 94 Nova SE
USA Vaughan Nathan 178 PG 84 Old Westbury
USA Deluca Michael G Onondaga CC
USA Niezner Michael 200 F Orange Coast CC
USA Flint Austen 180 PG Oregon Tech
USA Johnson Josh 198 G/F 92 Oregon Tech
USA Evans Xavier 193 G Pfeiffer
USA Hussey Jackson 190 G 92 Pikeville
USA Smith Tim 188 G Plattsburgh St.
USA Maker Chier 201 G/F Portland
USA McCready Shannon 201 F/C Post
USA McGuire Luke 190 G Regis Univ.
USA Beisty Ryan 201 F Regis University
USA Spear Joel 190 PG 94 S.Oregon
USA West Jordan 203 F S.Oregon
USA Davis Caleb 206 F 95 Saginaw Valley
USA Streza Mihai 190 G Salem International
USA Pinder Keanu 205 F 96 New Mexico
USA Dufelmeier Tad 183 G 96 Salt Lake CC
USA Mills Patrick 183 PG 88 San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
USA Rance Damien 201 F 95 San Francisco St.
USA Healy Kai 196 G Santa Clara
USA Wetzler Joshua 201 C 84 Seattle M.
USA Carroll Brendan 193 G 93 Seattle Pacific
Canada Williamson Andrew 185 G 77 Simon Fraser University
Canada Harper Michael 193 G 94 Simon Fraser University
USA Asham Arise 190 G Southeast CC
USA Pabek Pabek 193 G Southeast CC
USA McDaniel Sam 196 G/F Southeastern CC
USA Knoll Michael 203 C St. Ambrose
USA Murphy Andrew 183 PG 82 St. Anselm
USA Morison Iain 206 F/C 95 St. Francis, IL
USA Clark Kyle 198 F 97 St. Mary's, CA
USA Hunter Jordan 208 F St. Mary's, CA
USA Krebs Tanner 198 G 96 St. Mary's, CA
USA Landale Jock 211 C St. Mary's, CA
USA Naar Emmett 185 G 94 St. Mary's, CA
USA Pineau Dane 206 F 94 St. Mary's, CA
USA Wright Stefan 203 F 94 St. Mary's, TX
USA Jones Jack 206 F St. Rose, NY
USA Lipinski Julian 203 F St. Rose, NY
USA Munson Brodie 188 G 95 St. Rose, NY
USA McEwen Stuart 206 F Stonehill
USA Biyendolo Marley 190 G SW Baptist
USA Warren Elliot 196 F 95 SW Baptist
USA Woodfall Kai 183 PG SW Baptist
USA Rost Shaun 203 F Texas Wesleyan
USA Deyaolu Jai 196 F Triton JC
USA Bolden Jonah 208 F 96 UCLA
USA Gamble Jarrod 206 C Upper Iowa
USA McCarthy Matthew 206 F USF
USA Exum Dante 198 PG 95 Utah Jazz (NBA)
USA Ingles Joe 203 SF 87 Utah Jazz (NBA)
USA Ralph Jason 178 PG 95 Valley City St.
USA Hancock Matt 193 G 93 W.Alabama
USA Jobling Jake 188 G W.Alabama
USA Taulien Zach 196 G W.Georgia
USA Faithfull Indiana 193 G 91 W.Liberty St.
USA Thomas Lewis 203 F 92 W.Oregon
USA Black Josh 185 G 90 Warner Pacific
USA Nelson Marshall 188 G 94 Wayland Baptist
USA Johnston Sam 175 PG Western St.
USA Chircu Philip 203 F Whitman
USA Jurlina Christian 196 F Whitworth
USA Cooks Xavier 203 G/F 95 Winthrop
USA Waterhouse Ben 190 G 95 Young Harris
USA Donlan Matt 201 F Youngstown St.

Reply #576217 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Senior forward Venky Jois has returned to his devastating best for Eastern Washington, earning Big Sky Conference Player of the Week honours for the first time this season. Jois, along with fellow big men Ben Simmons and Majok Deng were the standout Aussie performers in NCAA Division I basketball this week.

NCAA Men: Jois soars in the Big Sky

Reply #576305 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A nice article on Vasiljevic's commitment to Miami U.

Dejan Vasiljevic Shooting For The Stars

"I felt that choosing Miami would provide me with a necessary balance in terms of my athletic and academic developments and allow me to reach my professional goals."

Reply #576526 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The usual faces put in excellent shifts this week, with Funda Nakkasoglu, Lauren Nicholson, and Alicia Froling all among the top performers. There were also some great performances from some more unlikely sources, as Kiara Phillips helped Norfolk State break their season duck, whilst Alex Delaney and Yasmin Miller also showcased some scintillating play.

NCAA Women: Phillips leads Norfolk State to first wins

Reply #576958 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Stock Report for the previous week in college basketball, where we analyse three players whose stock has risen over the week and three whose stock has fallen. Of course, the only players who can be featured are Aussies!

NCAA Men: The stock report (11 Feb)

Reply #577070 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yet another Australian set a record this week, as Steph Collins broke single season blocks record at SMU, moving two clear of Alicia Froling's 2014/15 mark of 54, while Froling received conference honours for the 6th time this season. Elsewhere, Marena Whittle returned to form with a pair of double-doubles, whilst Chelsea Roberts’ shooting was instrumental in a pair of victories for Tennessee-Martin.

NCAA Women: Collins and Froling dominating for SMU

Reply #578229 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

After breaking Alicia Froling's single-season blocks record at SMU last week, Steph Collins this week set a new single-game blocks record for the Mustangs with 7 in a win over Tulsa. Elsewhere, Claire Ioannidis joined an elite club at North Florida, whilst Nicole Seekamp picked up yet another player of the week award for two excellent performances.

NCAA Women: Collins’ record-breaking form continues

Reply #580151 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Australian forwards continued to lead the charge in NCAA Division I basketball this week, with Ben Simmons, Venky Jois and Xavier Cooks all delivering on the big stage while Anthony Drmic showed signs he may be overcoming his niggling injury.

NCAA Men: Aussie forwards deliver as Drmic finds form

Reply #580182 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anthony Drmic, Matt Donland and Isaac Humphries have seen their stock rise over the past week.

NCAA Men: The Stock Report (25 Feb)

Reply #580252 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Queenslander Jonathon Janssen is now adjusting to life in Cleveland, Ohio as a sophomore with the Cleveland State Vikings. Janssen, a 6'9 forward, has been able to develop his game to fit the mold of a current day stretch-4. I was lucky enough to talk with Janssen to talk adjusting to college, his journey to America, playing in Cleveland and more.

Jono Janssen on adjusting to college in the USA

Reply #580491 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Texas-based Aussies were on song once again, with Kristy Wallace leading Baylor to victory to clinch the outright regular season title for the Lady Bears, whilst Alicia Froling continued the record-breaking season for the Aussies at SMU. Lauren Nicholson sparkled in her return to full playing time, whilst Marena Whittle signed off on her college career with two solid performances.

NCAA Women: Wallace leads Baylor to the Big 12 title

Reply #581435 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

In the debut show of the Pick and Pop, topics covered include:

◾ Saint Mary's chances in the WCC Tournament
◾ Whether Thon Maker is underestimated
◾ Which Aussie in the NBA is the most valuable to their team
◾ Alicia Froling’s rebounding record compared to Venky Jois’ blocks record
◾ Whether fans should be upset if Ben Simmons does not play in the Olympics
◾ Men’s NCAA team of the week

The Pick and Pop: Thon Maker, March Madness and the Aussies in the NBA

Reply #581437 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I love March Madness!

Reply #581450 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I hope my excitement for March Madness came across! Great time of the year for hoops, especially with so many Aussies involved and doing well.

This week's stock report is also out. Drmic, Naar and Donlan are the risers.

NCAA Men: The Stock Report (3 Mar)

Reply #581471 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australian high school sensation Jack White has made his decision and will be at Duke next season - the first Australian male Blue Devil.

Jack White announces verbal commit to Duke

In what has been a fairly slow and quiet recruitment process, business is about to pick up for Australian sensation Thon Maker, as more details are emerging about his official visit dates and which teams are leading the race to secure his commitment.

Jayhawks secure first official visit from Thon Maker

Reply #581760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any chance you could start a new thread, this ones getting long with 147 posts in it, maybe a new one for another season of recruits

Reply #581772 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

After the season a new thread!

Keanu Pinder has gone through quite the recruitment process, having de-committed from Nebraska in May 2015, announcing his commitment to New Mexico, and it seemed as if the Perth native had finally found a home.

However, Pinder is back on the recruitment trail, announced via Twitter that he has now also de-committed from the Lobos in another turn of events.

Keanu Pinder de-commits from New Mexico

Reply #582686 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Saint Mary's find themselves on the bubble after losing the WCC Tournament to Gonzaga. But should they still be going dancing?

Saint Mary's Deserves an NCAA Tournament Bid

Reply #582687 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

ustralian sophomore forward Keely Froling has announced that she will depart Southern Methodist University following the 2015-16 season and return to Australia to continue her basketball career.

Keely Froling departs SMU, heads home to Australia

Reply #583470 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thon Maker's recruiting process is moving along, with the five-star Australian setting up dates to officially visit the Arizona State Sun Devils and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Maker will visit the Sun Devils on 18 April, and then moving on to Notre Dame a week later on 25 April.

Thon Maker sets official visits to Arizona State, Notre Dame

Reply #583543 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Diamond Valley came into the Big V season full of hope and optimism, which mostly stemmed from University of Miami commit Dejan Vasiljevic. Questiones remained however; would his college commitment be a distraction, and how would he fare playing against men?

Two games into the season and all of these questions have been well and truly been answered.

Dejan Vasiljevic soaring like an Eagle in the Big V

Reply #583704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stanford and Alanna smith into elite 8 after beating favourites Notre dame.

Baylors Kirsty Wallace and Florida states Rachel antoniadou will face off tomorrow morning.

Reply #583714 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nicole Seekamp headlines the #TeamPnR All-Aussie Award winners and teams.

NCAA Women: 2016 All-Australian Awards

Reply #585088 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The 2015/16 NCAA Division I season was powered by the Aussie big men, led by the projected 2016 number one NBA Draft pick Ben Simmons.

NCAA Men: 2016 All-Australian Awards

Reply #585244 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Following two highly productive seasons at Utah State, Funda Nakkasoglu has made the decision to transfer to Florida and will commence play in 2017/18.

Nakkasoglu recently made the decision to leave the Aggies, but this announcement confirms that the Victorian will return to college basketball rather than returning to Australia to play.

Funda Nakkasoglu transfers to Florida

Reply #586395 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754