Southern Joe
Years ago

Unsportsmanlike Behaviour

Following on from the closed topic about blowing on an opponent ( that thread must have degenerated quickly to get locked..lol).. it got me thinking about the amount of USL behaviour that goes without any warnings etc.

I regularly hear players yell out " AAARGGGHH !!! " as a player goes in for a lay up. I hate that with a passion & wish it was teched as I am led to believe that that is the letter of the FIBA law.

I see many sneaky elbows & digs into ribs, & I have also seen a player follow a player & put his hands over his opponents immediate field of vision without actually touching his face.

These and other such acts should be clamped down on.

Topic #37973 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

These and other such acts should be clamped down on? I hate when soft/ ticky touch calls are made. A simple warning will always stop players yelling at someone shooting, most umpires will if it gets to a ridiculous point.

If your worried about the occasional elbow or bump to the ribs, maybe stick to shooting around by yourself. Obviously I'm not referring to players violently swinging elbows or hip and shoulders, but it is a tough game and you can expect to get knocked around at times.

Your talking about a very isolated incident with the vision and he hands - is that the worst thing you've seen? Not a big deal, sounds pretty childish and I'd hope that the players teammates/ coach told him so.

Reply #549890 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My child was spat on by a kid with a blood lip and also told to F off and later tripped ! At another game he and others in his team were punched in the stomach away from play. Fortunately in that incident when their coach was told about it by one of our parents, they said I know who that would be and pulled him for the rest of the game. That is a rare occurrence as the response is usually ignore any complaint or get defensive as if it never happened and it was being made up by whingers. This is happening all over junior sport with the changes in society. Parents are far more defensive than ever and more present at sport than ever before and they want to win and blind to these events. Deliberate trips, screaming in players faces and stamping their feet. A foot ball jump for the mark and punching the ball with the footy mentality are all regular occurrences in the league my kids play in. It is completely wrong and the mid divisions such as div 3 are the worse. It is real for many.

Reply #549900 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not associated with basketball, but when I was playing another sport, one of my team mates had a perfect run down the boundary until one of the opposition mothers put out her umbrella and tripped him up.

Yes, we were playing against Port Adelaide.

Reply #549901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes blowing on someone look pretty weak as an unsportsmanlike play

Reply #549909 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Making noise as a player shoots it is part of the game especially in the professional leagues. At one stadium an umpire gives tech fouls for any noise made which is ridiculous.

Reply #549914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of noises when shooting, I'm one of those dudes who makes a noise when going for a lay-up and when there's contact. It's usually just a by product of concentrating, keeping balanced etc, it doesn't mean it's illegal contact, it's just how I operate.

Had a district ref one night throw me out a game because he told me I was trying to show him up by drawing a foul. Didn't matter how many times I explained it was now muscle memory he wouldn't have it and was insistent I wasn't playing in the spirit of the game.

Seen guys in the professional leagues who have the same habit (see Pau Gasol for one good example).

Reply #549919 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

King James we are talking 10 11 year olds and wonder why there are so many youth issues. It is not teaching them to worked hard, defend well and use your skills and when you have honed them, then may be you have the right to distract. It just teaches to be disrespectful to others and invading and harassing is okay. certainly when they are older and skilled up sure go for it and if someone takes you out in the carpark or you get kicked off of a team for rubbish behaviour then fine, but teaching and allowing kids to perpetrate this behaviours and telling others that it is acceptable, like it or join in is completely sending the wrong message. We as a basketball community have a social responsibility to utilise basketball for more than just winning at all costs. We are promoting a fit, healthy lifestyle and teamwork and teaching that a loss is okay as long as you have done your best and put in the work and a win is earned and deserved. If you think this isn't happening then you are not watching. These kids who behave this way on court are highly likely to think this is normal and acceptable and take the risk to try things off court until they get caught or the consequences are dire.

Reply #549921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said anon ^ couldn't agree more. Adults (coaches and parents) have to start disciplining this kind of play, it's up to the adults to teach the kids where the boundaries are. Basketball is a physical sport, that doesn't mean that anything goes. Unsportsmanlike behaviour needs to be stamped out. This is a serious issue in junior sport.

Reply #549929 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The blowing thread was locked because the OP's girlfriend told him to stop complaining about the ref and quit the thread. That's a funny enough reason for me.

Reply #549936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought that was a good enough reason to keep it open lol

Reply #549944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There would be no pro-tennis without allowing players to make noise!

Reply #549947 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Hey Jack Toft it sounds like that mother 'rained on his parade'!!

Hehe

Reply #549952 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Remember Warwick Giddey had his pants pulled down on an inbound pass down in Tassie....

Reply #549957 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@ Orbit, good one!

it was pretty funny when it happened.

Reply #549961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always liked the one where a young defender rock solid and both arms straight up slows the offensive play. The offensive player slower, fatter, older with both hands firmly on the ball puts his elbows out and starts swivelling with left foot planted. Defender stands tall with head still and arms extended straight up to stop a shot.

Offensive player bends right knee as he swings to the right. As he swivels back to the left he pushes up with his right leg and braces both hands on the ball hard. Right elbow takes a perfect arc and collects defender's jaw. Knocks defender out and loosens teeth.

Umpire calls foul on defender saying he put his head in the way. Nothing unsportsmanlike - pure assault

That's church ball

Reply #549979 | Report this post

what?

Reply #549983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Under 14s this season I had an opposition who would jump and clap in the eyes of my players when they were just about to release a lay-up. Refs wouldn't do anything.

Reply #549985 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

I have found during this years finals it was a case of challenging the referees to control the game - this would rely heavily on a teenagers confidence to manage the game / adults - usually they just let it all go.

The teams that challenged the refs to take control usually won as it was clearly a case of get away with what you can.

Most refs just happy to let the game roll on and move onto the next one and if anyone spoke to the refs it was punished and it was clear any feedback was not welcome.

Reply #550020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I played juniors, We were taught to talk on defence, we were taught to call out when a shot was taken to make sure everyone blocked out before a rebound. I think there are worse things that can happen than being shouted at while shooting. It never bothered me when the same was done to me. I think some players need to harden up.

Reply #550041 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No one has an issue with calling shot, help, ball etc that is relevant, it is the deliberate elbows, punch, underhanded verbal abuse such as f off and dirty plays that occur in the junior junior grades.

Reply #550051 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon #549979 I have no idea what you are trying to say?

Reply #550079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear- intentional vicious elbow to chin by a thug.

Reply #550083 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Definitely unsportsmanlike behaviour then.

Reply #550085 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754