#aussiehoops
Years ago

NBL Schedule needs serious work

Why in the first 6 weeks do the Wildcats play NZ 4 times, Townsville 3 times and Illawarra 3 times before they have even played Sydney once? very strange and hardly fair!

Topic #37981 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Hardy fair" - how so?

Reply #550016 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Yeah agree with PlaymakerMO, either way every one plays the same team the same times as every one else.

Reply #550021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams might peak at various times of the season due to injurys, form, and player availability. They may play each other team 4 times as posted above, but it is very silly for those certain outliers like cats v NZ 4 times in 6 weeks to occur. This is pretty unexplainable by the NBL to me..

Reply #550022 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Reply #550022 = me

Reply #550023 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The issue is that later in the season when injuries occur there can be an advantage according to the schedule you have had if you have players the same team multiple times in that period or vie versa. The other issue is that some teams can get themselves sorted earlier and having those wins over teams that have not been able to get their teams in for a good preseason training and games run due to other commitments etc. A round robin or at least not having a team play the same 3-4 times is a ridiculous schedule. It can lend itself to a distinct advantage. A round robin removes any room for perceived discrimination. It is a genuine concern along with the weeknight games depending on your market. Wed night is not a good market for Adelaide as the stadium is not in the city, but for Perth and others when they play or in the future play in a city stadium it will work. The whingers (not my name for people expressing themselves) lots have concerns about paying a full member ship say for a family of 850 roundabouts depending on the seats you have for a member ship when you kid has their own trainings and school etc will find it not worth it. Comparing it to big bask is ridiculous as it is a reduced number of games, may not clash with trainings or you can see half a game as it is longer and it is in the city for travel and accessibility to more people and it is buckets load cheaper..

Reply #550024 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Yes, totally agree games between any two teams need to be spread across the season. The ideal would be strict rotation - Team A plays teams B, C, D, E etc then goes round again, but I recognise there are likely to be practical impediments to that.

However, having team A play team B [or any of the others] three or four times in six weeks is potentially unfair/inequitable for the reasons already outlined, and also seems pretty silly with the sport trying to maximise impact on TV and in the sporting/entertainment market place.

Maybe some common sense to go with the computerised scheduling program?

Reply #550031 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Or tha advantage is to play NZ 4 times when they are without Webster for certain

Reply #550034 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I will beat Boti to the scoop. I

Marvin organised the draw and also Webster to get a trial with the Pelicans.

Reply #550038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way too late now.

Reply #550042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh its no big deal. Every year there are pros and cons to every draw produced by the NBL, AFL, NBA etc etc If your a great team it doesn't matter.

Reply #550043 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I agree and that is something I spotted immediately too... Almost to the point of 'if Perth are near NSW then why can't we play the Kings earlier in the season?

I've been too scared to look... Please don't tell me that the NBL scheduled games in NSW during Bathurst weekend ( I think the second weekend on November)... I'm a Wildcats season member and I wouldn't even go to the basketball if I was in NSW on Bathurst weekend... It's sheer craziness

Reply #550053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Too late to make adjustments.

I think there is a stretch at some point where the 36ers have three home games in about a week, then later, nothing for almost a month while kids are on holiday.

Nov 14, Nov 18, Nov 21.

Dec 23, big gap, Jan 20, Jan 22.

In fact, 36ers home games are clustered like that more often than they not. Could impact ability to draw walk-up crowds.

Reply #550054 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

School holiday $10 for all game here last year sold out I seem to recall

Reply #550056 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure at least one team has three games every week.

Reply #550059 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Bathurst....That's funny. What about around Xmas, how can the elves get to the game?

Reply #550065 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Do Adelaide get a lot of 'walk up crowds'?

Reply #550067 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

when they have the cheap tickets. we have highest unemployment in the country and low economics, low population and an isolated stadium that is hidden away. All you can see is when you get close to the driveway is signs hidden behind trees. You can not see the stadium fromm the main road and you have to drive up the driveway a few hundred metres before you see the stadium.. It has no visual prominence to draw in new people. It is also not used for many events due to location and strict restrictions as in a residential area.. Lots of issues. Those that go, love it but it is not in a transport corridor either and Adelaide is long and skinny and it is to the West in the middle away from the city. Most people would say the Arena ?? what is it and where is it. Where as the ENtertainment centre (not suitable for basketball) even if you have not been there is on a prominent corner on the edge of the city with a great prominent entranceway and signage, coloured lights forecourt etc so you know it is there.

Reply #550072 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yep- the fixture has some absurdities without any obviously rational reason for it.

This has been an issue for years, and with the condensed season we'll see even more ridiculous examples than those we've seen in years gone by.

Reply #550073 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Isn't a big reason due to Stadium availability? Perth can't use the Arena during the Hopman Cup and are blocked out on some weekends for big ticket concerts that are willing to pay huge dollars, is this the same issue in other states?

Reply #550078 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm sure there are good reasons for the schedule as it is. The Kings have a heavy front-loaded home game start to the season, but that was obviously to maximize the amount of games at the Entertainment Centre before it's demolished.

Reply #550095 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm talking more about, say, the Cats playing NZ 4 times before they play another team for the first time.

Anomalies like that cannot be purely and simply down to stadium availability.

Reply #550112 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

See, no matter what, having one team four times in a compressed few weeks just isn't good. For one thing, you certainly burn out the excitement of taking on a good team or rival if you go back and revisit it a few days later, and then the week after, and then the week after again.

Reply #550152 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

The reason I think we question the lateness of Perth @ Sydney is because when that dies happen during the season, the Kingdome is already closed and you think the history between the teams would be a draw and you'd try and utilize as many home games for Sydney whilst they can make $

Of course Melbourne and Perth are disrupted by tennis but that has no influence over the regularity of NZ vs. Perth games to start the season

Reply #550164 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754