NBL Fan
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets to return in new colours

Article from Boti:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/national-basketball-league-brisbane-bullets-make-comeback-after-seven-year-absence/story-fnii09gt-1227532184715?sv=e0cc5640134c388a0fa5afe9d991802f

The Bullets will return and play at the Brisbane Convention Centre with new colours, maroon and gold.

Honestly I am disappointed with the colour scheme as we will just be like the Broncos and Maroons. Can't complain though since we are finally getting our team back.

Topic #37986 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Apologies. Article written by Greg Davis of the Courier Mail.

Reply #550179 | Report this post

Juno 16  
Years ago

Been hearing this for years. Believe it when I see it.

Reply #550182 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

Convention centre? So, we are expecting crowds of 3,000 again with a capacity of what, 3900?

Reply #550186 | Report this post

James Naismith  
Years ago

#QueenslandCavaliers

Reply #550200 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Massive Bullets supporter back in the day.

Gotta say the move away from blue/gold is extremely disappointing, thought it would've been a no-brainer to keep it.

At least it appears the team will be playing (mostly) at the Convention Centre.

Reply #550201 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tbh using Queensland state colours is probably a good idea, Cleveland Cavaliersesque

Reply #550202 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

As a Bullets fan since 1990 I think think they're on the money. The Bullets brand is still strong, but I always felt the colours were a little incongrous to the parochial Queensland colour of Maroon. I hope the logo stays somewhat the same - not for emotional reasons, but because my QUT Consumer Behaviour lecturer would approve :p

Reply #550205 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

"Convention centre? So, we are expecting crowds of 3,000 again with a capacity of what, 3900?"

Atleast they are just getting it done. Would you suggest that a stadium of 10'000 miraculously appear?

Reply #550207 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

Fantastic news and a long time coming!

Don't really care about the colours so much, but still, changing it channel LeTool and the Cavs is pretty weak. The old Bullets livery was the best in the league and is almost identical to Steph's Golden State Warriors, so why you'd voluntarily move away from that is a mystery.

Reply #550208 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I like the idea of maroon. They will always find marketing ways to wear throw back bullets jerseys with the blue and gold. Where's the convention centre? In heart of the city? Surely that would hold more than 4000??

Reply #550209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maroon is a stupid choice. Why do we need to move to Maroon? This is a Brisbane team, not a Qld team. Brisbane Lions moved to Maroon, Brisbane Bronocs are Maroon. Why do they feel the need to do this. Stay with the blue or something else even. Bit sick of the Maroon sporting clothing.

Reply #550210 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

Because Maroon is Queensland's colour, and there's two other blue teams.
Mystery solved

Reply #550211 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Yee hah!
As sugested a couple of days ago in the discussion about the SE Qld team. Still the Bullets but now in traditional Qld colours.
The colors MIGHT dissapoint some older Bullets fans but might also attract more parocial Qld casual sports fans.
Will be instantantly recognisable as a Qld team. Much as Wildcats original Black and Gold made thme instantly recognisable as the WA team, 36ers wear traditional SA colours and now Melb wear the traditional Victorian colours.

I also think it should be possible for the Bullets to service the Gold Coast with a few games each season, to try to grow support for a team based there in the future. They MIGHT be able to sell the rights to host a couple of games to the Gold Coast Council.

Reply #550213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because Maroon is Queensland's colour, and there's two other blue teams.
Mystery solved"

Yes but there are two other Qld teams that don't use maroon. Brisbane is a city team and not a state team.

Look up Brisbane city's official colours and guess what they are - Blue and Gold which have been the Bullets colours of old.

Reply #550226 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Im honestly not too concerned what colors the Bullets wear.. so long as they actually DO come back. Ill believe it when I actually see it.

I can.. barely remember the Wildcats playing in Black and Gold... the Red and Black is now just so much better.

Also as has been said the Brisbane Bullets represent Brisbane. not QLD.

Reply #550230 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

@Swish "The colors might also attract more parocial Qld casual sports fans."

Only if they're vacuous air heads. It's like suggesting the name Bullets is going to attract gun enthusiasts who don't otherwise have any interest in the sport.

More likely some witless marketing shrill figured there's an extra buck to be made from selling "lebron-like" jerseys to the dumb impressionable basketball fans, while blithely failing to realise that their old livery just happens to be that of the current NBA champs and the most popular basketball player on the planet.

Still it is what it is, which is a Brisbane team back in the league.

Reply #550238 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

They are interested in holding some games at Boondall with a configuration which would allow a capacity of around 7000. Some games on the Gold Coast are also being discussed.

Reply #550241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blue and gold are Brisbane city colours, they arent meaningless colours.

Disappointing.

Reply #550242 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Gee can't believe people whining about venue and colours, just be happy they are back.

Reply #550260 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Logo looks nice

Reply #550262 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

The logo looks good, colours as we know do blend well and look good on court, perfect first staff announcement with CJ as assistant. I always thought that if they were to return a few players from the past being invovled would help their cause.

They look like legit winners atm, who cares where they play, 3000 fans at a game is better than no game for brisbane.

Bring on the basketball

Reply #550263 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I would of liked to see this team entered as a South-East QLD team IMO. Hold a 60/40 split of games at Brisbane and the Gold Coast and draw in a larger fan base.

Reply #550264 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think they will do that as yet, Expansion is still huge on the agenda and if the Bullets take off the QLD area could well be looked upon for a 2nd team, plus the NBL wouldnt want to alienate the faithful Bullets supporters

Reply #550286 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Its the Brisbane Bullets not the sometimes in Brisbane sometimes somewhere else Bullets.

Reply #550294 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm saddened by the news of the colours but who's to say that an away strip can't include blue and yellow in some vacinity even as an alternative away jersey... And prefer Royal blue over navy blue

Reply #550303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the Bullets are back and gonna play in the Library wasn't it? It didn't work then and with the NBL stumping up, how long will it last? For years the NBL has tried to find a financial backer with NO ONE interested. I certainly understand the reasons the NBL is going down this path, and it's simply about TV. But it failed last time. Please tell me what's changed. In 3 years time LKG may say we've tried and wasted too much.

Reply #550305 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Why didnt it work last time? And what circumstances are the same now as they were then to make a direct comparison relevant?

Reply #550338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They played at the Library dint they? Piss poor crowds. I thought you should know Paul.

Reply #550342 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's it? The same venue? Melbourne and Hawthorn play at the same venue in the AFL for very different results.

Reply #550350 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

"They played at the Library dint they? Piss poor crowds. I thought you should know Paul."

I agree with Anon. They once got 13k at the Entertainment Center so if they go back there they'll easily get 10k+ crowds nightly. No one cares if it's an hour transit out of the city on week nights.

Man it's so simple. I'm surprised no one thought of it earlier.

Reply #550394 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's right, everyone knows something that worked once in the past will work now, and something that didn't work once in the past won't work now. If only the people in charge knew.

Reply #550397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So tell us Paul what has changed. Depite years of canvassing for financial backers no one has gone forward with any investment. Cj's got a gig funded by the NBL and the ONLY reason the Brisbane team is off the ground is simply Foxtel. The Library wasn't a success last time. Other teams were precluded moving into smaller venues previously and now that OK under the LKG vision. That's fine too, but essentially what has changed. Nothing. No one is interested in financially backing the Bullets. Larry S and Bendant walked after very early stages due to venue issues and IT conflicts with BA. That's how bad the situation is.
Please explain to us all why it's now so different.

Reply #550430 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

For a small venue, I quite like the Convention Center. Got a nice look about it and always presented well on TV.

TBH I dont see the Brisbane fan base being more than 4000 anyway. They should take a few games to the bigger Entertainment Center though - such as their 1st game back and maybe one more during the season.

Reply #550432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti sums it up so succinctly.
http://www.botinagy.com/blog/broken-promises-no-more/
Much ado about nothing really.

Reply #550496 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"So tell us Paul what has changed."

No, you're the one telling us it will be like last time, so you tell us what's the same.

Will they have the same owner? Will they have the same GM and marketing team? Will they use the same strategies? Will they have the same databases? Will they have the same exposure on TV? Will they get the same support from the league?

Reply #550505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually a lot has changed. Once upon a time the Bullets were flavour of the month. This coupled with unlimited spending of someone else's money made them a very popular franchise. Now no one wants in to fund them, they have appointed a CEO who has what big business experience? The LKG are funding it themselves simply because at Fox's behest they require an NBL team in Brisbane to POSSIBLY guarantee then TV coverage beyond this season. Yes a lot has changed.
All of the fluff you have talked about is totally irrelevant to today's scenario.
How long will the LKG waste their money on a franchise that no one wants to invest in.
Remember he's only here possibly for 3 seasons, and I suspect that by year 3 the whole structure of the NBL will have drastically changed.

Reply #550509 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If we're going to assume and expect that LK will fail with the NBL then we might as well give up on the NBL because there really isn't any other way the NBL survives. What was the alternative? A five team competition with no sponsors, no TV coverage and only three teams making anything close to a profit (to be honest, probably just Perth).

Injection of capital and better management could actually provide the NBL with real potential for longevity and growth - that's kind of how businesses succeed, they live and die by those two aspects.

I think a new Brisbane Bullets side would feel the positive effects of an improved NBL management and capital injection, and it provides potential investors with far more reason to invest than back in 2008.

Reply #550512 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

"All of the fluff you have talked about is totally irrelevant to today's scenario.
How long will the LKG waste their money on a franchise that no one wants to invest in.
Remember he's only here possibly for 3 seasons, and I suspect that by year 3 the whole structure of the NBL will have drastically changed."

Who said he was limited to just three seasons? Just because it is a three season deal doesn't mean he has to be gone after.

As for waste money no one wants to invest in, I am sure if the Bullets do well in their first season, someone will want to. The Bullets haven't been out of the league just because no one is interested....

Reply #550517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they have. If someone was interested they would have been in already. Whats the talk of 2008 for all of a sudden. It was only this year that Bendant and Larry S withdrew.

Reply #550523 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

"a franchise that no one wants to invest in."

Correction: No one wants to invest in a franchise that doesn't exist. It needed a catalyst to get it across the line and the new TV deal is the silver bullet we've all been waiting for.

Brisbane is a city of over 2 million now and the population density in and around the central entertainment precinct has exploded over the past decade. There unquestionably *is* a market here if they can get it done right. The challenge is to build a sound foundation and get the right people involved. Investment will follow.

Reply #550529 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Are Queenslanders REALLY that passionate about Maroon?
If you're trying to revive heritage, then ditching the club colours does seem a strange way to go.

I'm all for State Colours, I loved the Cats in Gold & Black, but it can also get a bit thrashed. When you're struggling to (re)build a franchise, and distinguish from the other successful sporting franchises in your city, you need your own image.
If you see a hoard of tomatoes descending on the Arena, chances are its The Red Army, if you see fans decked out in Orange & Purple, then they're Perth Glory fans.

I would have thought that between the Broncos, Bulls, Bears/Lions, Maroons, and even the Reds, you'd be trying to differentiate not blend in

Reply #550976 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754