Isaac
Years ago

Ebi Ere to miss NBL Blitz with calf injury

A CALF injury has ruled Adelaide's star shooting guard import Ebi Ere out of this week’s NBL Pre-season Blitz tournament but coach Joey Wright is not concerned about his future.

Soft tissue injuries usually are not a positive sign for sportsmen over the age of 30 but Wright was confident Ere, 34, who starred for him at Brisbane when the Bullets won the 2007 NBL championship, was not in any longer-term danger.

"The strain is not in the belly of the calf but high and on the side of his leg," Wright said.
Full article by Boti Nagy.

Topic #38007 | Report this topic

Dave  
Years ago

Not a good sign. Hope we have the money to make a mid season splash!

Reply #550587 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Calves are so hot right now.

Reply #550588 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Old man injury... knew they weren't signing the 27 year old version. This is not good news.

Reply #550590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

....... and so it begins!!

Reply #550591 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Your right Kobe24,its the injury you get when your body is starting to falter. They will have to manage his workload. Not a good injury at the best of times.

Reply #550592 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Only aware of it cos of the hard times watching Brett Maher my favourite player slow down year after year. I really didn't like this signing before the injury, now you have to wonder what they were thinking. He looks overweight and now a soft tissue injury after minimal playing time... this is a business the right decision need to be made from the get go to compete for the 4.

Reply #550599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep it was always a bit of an odd signing at 34 and 6 years out of the league but calf & hamstring injuries are as said above 'old man injuries' these things will linger and never fully heal.

We need to avoid another Mike Chappell type situation with this dragging on to midseason before finally accepting the reality.

Bite the bullet right now get through the Blitz and hopefully have a about a week and a half of training to work a new import in before the season opener.

Reply #550601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quick to cut a bloke that what's the 6ers fan awesome!! You guys live then I idea guy within the same sentence!

Reply #550602 | Report this post

#602 to miss the Blitz with a brain injury.

Reply #550603 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If guys like Hakim Warrick are still being signed, unless they are completely strapped for cash, they can't use the excuse no one better was available etc Joey can try and sugar coat it all he wants as far as its not a major injury but people aren't stupid. Calves are annoying injuries, that can heal but usually keep occurring. Next month or so will be interesting at the 36ers....

Reply #550604 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Cut Ebi & bring back Diamon Simpson.

Reply #550624 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

They won't cut him because he's Joeys boy and the new owners are tightasses

Reply #550627 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Gotta love Sixers fans - always looking on the bright side.

Reply #550632 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

they haven't had a sunny day in while snooch, do you blame them?

Reply #550637 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Snooch, you sign an outta shape old import who is brought here to be a stud, he immediately has calf-soft tissue injuries and the fan base is meant to be all good with it and just go with the flow... come on now, its a ruthless industry. Aren't all contracts not guaranteed to be paid out until after the Blitz or something... just incase some at the club is being smart enough to be scouting incase this injury becomes a main stay thing.

Reply #550638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think import contracts don't become guaranteed for the whole season until about two months in or 10 games in to the season.

Reply #550640 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sixers signed Ere to be an elite scorer as well as a good defender. So far in limited minutes he has shown he will deliver that.

If he has a serious injury I think they will replace him but I think it is just precautionary.

Lets just see how he goes when the season starts.

Reply #550643 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Kobe24, the season hasn't even started. Hell, they haven't even played the pre-season tournament yet. No need to be ruthless at this stage. Injuries happen. I'm part of the fanbase and I'm opting to give Joey the benefit of the doubt at this stage - he's got the credits in the bank.

And I disagree Ere was signed to be a "stud". I reckon he was signed to be the ultimate complementary player on a well-balanced team. A guy who can score and stretch defences and a guy who knows how to win.

Just give it some time before calling for imports to be sacked and replaced because one gets a minor calf injury in the pre-season.

Reply #550645 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

See how it plays out, I'm all ok with not sacking him etc and getting behind him as an import, but I just have my doubts he will produce. Someone else started the sacking talk, but it got me thinking. End of the day no way under just about any circumstances would he actually be sacked, not this early, not being as tight as he is with Joey. I just dont rate the signing based on age as injuries are more likely along these lines.... and guess whats already popped up. I can't imagine a team in which Ebe would ever be cool with not being the go to guy, not sure he wouldve been the best complementary option out there either... Either way this team will be going as far as DJ and Gibbo can take them imo.

Reply #550648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's so fat...

Reply #550651 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Either way this team will be going as far as DJ and Gibbo can take them imo.

I agree - but with a guy like Ere, he's a clutch player in clutch situations who is going help allow guys like DJ and Gibbo flourish imo.

He might be getting on, but to my knowledge he hasn't necessarily been injury prone and he seems to me to be, at this stage of his career, a guy who will do what it takes to help his team win.

Reply #550652 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Mahersy wasn't injury prone either until the calves... but look like I said before like it or hate it, he aint being cut no time soon. So may as well hope for the best and see if he can compliment the stars and get some results.

Reply #550654 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Ebi will be fine. I think this is more a case of Joey not showing all of his cards before the season...injury is probably more a smoke screen and Ebi would likely play if it were regular season.

Reply #550659 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Ebi will be one of the most value for money imports in the league.

Credit to the Sixers organisation for finding such great value talent. Jamar last year, Ebi this year.

Reply #550669 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ok cool, you've sold me on it with all the reason why you mentioned Marcus Camby haha

Reply #550674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let him hit the court officially before we rule him out, look worst case we cut him during the year and land a cut nba'er around November December and get a run on like last year.

Reply #550676 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

True that...

Reply #550677 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Ebi, Gibbo, Goulding and Joey to head up the Bullets- that would be GREAT! And not totally out of the question.

Reply #550679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If... you're....

a professional athlete over 30 and you've had a calf injury clap your hands..

Reply #550680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Ebi still good or over the hill?

Reply #550795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus value for money, wow you have no idea what was paid for him but lets hope there is not an Audit !!!

Reply #551097 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754