Isaac
Years ago

Hoops SA moving soon

Hoops SA has outgrown its current database and will be making the move to a new database as well as to a different host (from Australia to the US).

You will have noticed the site going down every now and then during the day (it will show a page with just "<." or a database error) so the change should mean that we escape those problems.

The site may be faster or slower with the move (the database will be faster, but moving it out of Australia will mean a speed reduction), but hopefully if it's slower, it's not too bad. Ideally I'd host it locally, but the cost of data in Australia is pretty outrageous (at my preferred host, it would cost more than $1000/month).

When I make the move, the forum will need to be paused so that any new posts are not lost. I'll try to time this so as not to effect peak hour forum traffic, but it will inconvenience people regardless. It might be tonight, or tomorrow night. If you see a message saying that the forum is down for the move, at least you'll know what's going on.

Any questions, let me know.

Topic #3802 | Report this topic

enigma  
Years ago

HI Isaac,
Will the move mean any other changes to the board. For example will it be possible to have an option to mark posts read so hen when you come to the board next it doesnt show posts that have been up for a while and ones that you have read already. Also will it allow people to register a name and only they are able to post under that name. At the moment from my understanding you can write anything in the name part and 'pretend" to be someone else, thus making false accusations etc about someone else.

Reply #44274 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

What will happen to all of those Panther padded stats ??? lol just kidding ..

Good luck with the move Isaac .. who's the new host?

Reply #44275 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

enigma -- I have been hoping to build in the latter feature for some time so that we have a mix of people being able to post anonymously, but also allowing others to reserve an identity for their own use.

Marking posts as read is difficult (have to store information pertaining to every user and when and what they viewed -- would add up very quickly with this many users and 45,000+ posts), but a registered user should definitely be able to see what's been posted since they last came to the site.

Skyhook - Crystaltech.

Reply #44278 | Report this post

number 50  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac. I know of a couple of people who have been accussed of writing stuff on hoops and yet it wasnt them doing it. This would be really helpful especially for the times when people start bagging other clubs, teams, players etc. This way people are accountable for what they write and it may actually deer some from writing some of the crap that comes off the fingers :)

Reply #44279 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

People are always going to be accused of writing something they didn't. Trust me.

Unfortunately there is very little way around that.

Reply #44281 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

will we have to write in american accents? or just a draaaawl

Reply #44287 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Isaac -

"I'll try to time this so as not to effect peak hour forum traffic"

out of interest, when is Hoops peak hour?

Reply #44291 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It definitely quietens down between 2-7AM. Busiest periods (judging by the email alerts I get) are usually 9-11AM and then 6-9PM.

Reply #44294 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Isaac,

I would personally like to thank you and everybody else involved with this site in the upkeep of it!

Thanks for keeping us up to date with developments not only with this site, but with basketball in general!

Reply #44300 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #44308 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

"WHAT'S HOT/NOT" too!

Reply #44328 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Bo - i find these words also trigger manic postings...

"Pro/rel"
"livestrong"
"Adelaide High yr 9 girls team, what does everyone think"
"South junior program"
"Colin"
"Bodysuits"

Reply #44384 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

What won't be slower with the move is the sharp wit and intellect of one Double Clutch, the best looking junior coach in the land.

Just a message to say was waiting for Sturt stats for Hot/Not alas they didn't arrive. Thus the list will be up by Thursday morning, (I can hear Paul Bell swearing in frustration now having to wait to thursday).

Reply #44386 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Just in case people were wondering what's to come on the next two lists (Thursday and Monday) expect to see:

• A special behind the scenes report from Talking Hoops.
  • Equal coverage to the 20,427 Bowley sisters playing basketball in South Australia.
  • Plus a full listing of lyrics for Paul Bell's brand new gangster rap single.

Reply #44387 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754