Anonymous
Years ago

Townsville crowd last night a concern?

Yes it is only pre season. Yes Conklin and Jett weren't playing for the Townsville Crocodiles but does anyone else think that the crowd of around 300 in a stadium that holds around 1,500 was pretty concerning?

Looks like Townsville people are still not prepared to get behind the Crocs.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come. With the "New" NBL, I thought a crowd of 1,500 wouldn't be that hard to achieve.

Thoughts?

Topic #38034 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

the crowd was 650 for starters

Reply #551013 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

How much to get in?

Reply #551014 | Report this post

IN YOUR FACE, OP!!!

Reply #551016 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was the entrance price a concern? What were they charging?

Any Crocs fans here not go for some reason?

Reply #551017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Was the entrance price a concern? What were they charging?

Any Crocs fans here not go for some reason?"

Good question Isaac.

Even 650 is pretty bad

Reply #551018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"IN YOUR FACE, OP!!!"

Idiot. So you think 650 is a good crowd figure?

Reply #551019 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would use the 'well, it's a midweek pre-season tourney' line, but I have a bad feeling about some of these mid-week attendance figures for teams this year.

Reply #551020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$20 for each session
2 games per session

Reply #551024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See that's cheap, yet people still aren't attending... ARGHH

Reply #551025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+ its at the RSL club. The fans of the crocs showed last year they didnt want to go out there. Add mid-week pre-season tournament and thats a fair thing.

If they get 600 to their 1st game at the entertainment centre then id be worried

Reply #551028 | Report this post

"So you think 650 is a good crowd figure?"

Not particularly, which is why I was bemused that Anon #013 tried to use it as a way of arguing your point.

But the commentators did say the stadium is a bit out of town, and being a midweek game, bigger crowds weren't expected.

Reply #551029 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not that cheap, barely meaningful pre-season tourney, with severely weakened teams, on a week night, which is on again tonight, tomorrow, Saturday and then again on Sunday, in a regional town with a smallish population and a poor record for attendances in recent times, in the RSL stadium, for games which are live streamed for free on the internet.

I am surprised 650 people showed up. If they all paid $20 to get in I think the organisers would be thrilled.

Reply #551031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not particularly, which is why I was bemused that Anon #013 tried to use it as a way of arguing your point.

But the commentators did say the stadium is a bit out of town, and being a midweek game, bigger crowds weren't expected."

My apologies for calling you an idiot then. My mistake

Reply #551034 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

NBA sells out the Summer League don't they #sarcasticafont

Reply #551036 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I really hate the idea of the NBL in RSL's. It makes the league look much less than professional. This could have been held in an - atleast - reasonable venue.

Reply #551039 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

FYI - now that was funny.

Reply #551040 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

What's an RSL?

Reply #551044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A tin shed

Reply #551047 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It's a bit out of town but in a place like Townsville that means it's only 10 minutes drive from the CBD and closer to the suburbs where people live anyway.

I suspect the Townsville population are more focussed on the Cowboys this week and are saving any money they can for the chance to get tickets to watch them play in the NRL grand final vs Broncos next week.

Reply #551051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol it's preseason this is a total non issue

btw how are crocs season tickets numbers looking? that is the key

Reply #551052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was 650 plus invited corporate guests. Crocs and NBL invited a fair few of these to try to schmooze them for the season ahead. Memberships are at around 1000 for the Crocs so far.

Reply #551057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So interesting why if, as I said above, there is 1000 members, only 650 turned up last night.

Reply #551058 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

As a percentage of their population, a crowd of 650 in TSV equates to 4731 in ADL, 7940 in BNE, 6937 in PER, 16240 in SYD, 15460 in MEL.

Would anyone be outraged if Sydney or Melbourne hosted the tournament and had less then 15000 attend?

Reply #551061 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Decent crowd for pre-season. Compared favourably with crowds at Dandy a couple of years ago. Venue fine for pre-season games. Check out venues and crowds for NBA Summer league and pre-season games.
People always searching for a negative spin.

Reply #551062 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Who said it was free for season ticket holders?

Even if it were, the fact that there are another 4 sessions to come would explain it wouldn't it? Who can afford to spend 5 days in a row at the basketball?

Why make a mountain out of a molehill where you could work out the obvious answers to your own questions? What doom and gloom scenario are you trying to peddle?

Reply #551063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne has like 30 pro teams though - as does Sydney. How many does Townsville have?

Reply #551064 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Aren't the crocs heading back to the swamp this season?

Reply #551065 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Geez, there must be a lot of people bored out of their minds at work today! Who gives a toss about how many people Townsville managed to get to a Wednesday night pre-season game? It means NOTHING!

How about we talk about the fact that the NBL managed to get a great quality, free live stream up first go last night. That is what I call a positive change!

Reply #551066 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

For some. I had a lot of stops and starts, and I wasn't the only one.

As for Townsville, they need to shape up or ship out. If they don't support their team, there are plenty of places who will.

Reply #551071 | Report this post

It really pisses me off when the league continues with the "we need to grow the game in XYZ" and have an event there with a terrible turn out, instead of rewarding fans who have been a constant in the league for longer than anyone.

Reply #551072 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

most of this crowd, would be going to one or two sessions, in a smaller city obviously there isnt gonna be sell outs every day.

Reply #551074 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, I have never actually been at the RSL at Townsville, but if their meals are as good as most I imagine it would have been a great night out.

Did they count all the diggers having a beer with a sausage casserole or roast in the bistro...?

Reply #551075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, after the game the crowd could stop off for some Bingo and perhaps win a meat tray.

Reply #551084 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Everyone should relax

It's a 5 day tournament. If there really were 650 people there then it's not a bad result. Realistically, even hardcore NBL fans would attend 2 nights or maybe 3. Most Crocs fans I'm guessing will attend one or two sessions, and they'd be more likely to go on a weekend than a Wednesday night- so why don't we chill and see what happens over 5 days before having this argument.

Reply #551088 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

$20 for each session
2 games per session
I would've considered that on the expensive side. Especially paying for each game which seems strange.

Reply #551096 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

$10 a game? Really, that's as low as you can go without giving them away.

Reply #551116 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Btw rsl is the name of the stadium, it's nowhere near the rsl club. I am a season ticket holder and live about 4 minutes away, but 8.30 tip off for the crocs game is too late for me to bring the kids. I expect there will be a much better turn out fri, sat and Sunday.

Reply #551161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way 650 were there! Of the 250 that were there over 50 were staff & extras from the other blitz teams that were watching.

Reply #551163 | Report this post

skull57  
Years ago

I really hope the crowd picks up fri,sat,sun because im sorry that turn up was pathetic you get a chance to see two nbl games (yes pre-season) but still in one night for what $20 come on.

Reply #551180 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You could drag me to all games across 5 days at $120 per person,and I am pretty diehard. Why do you hold the Townsville crowd to such a high standard. The local team wasn't even playing tonight!

Preseason games are not about crowds.

I would have thought tickets would have been more like $10 per session.

Reply #551196 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Brisbane last year had a better turn out than Townsville. Should've just had the Blitz in a major city like Brisbane again. Pretty pathetic turn out...

Reply #551197 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Townsville have had appalling turn out for a long time and this is why they are in the position they've been in. I think if they have another poor season they should be allowed to fold finally and just move the license on to somewhere that will get behind their team.

Reply #551199 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, they need to get bums on seats this regular season, but I don't think pre-season crowds, like pre-season results, are really worth worrying about.

Reply #551205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson, misread the original. Thought it was implying $20/game.

Reply #551208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the Blitz was held at Dandenong the Crowd on the Volleyball Court games, alone, would have been more than 650.

Reality is for all the whining that regional people do about not being catered for, one would think no sport with sound management would even reconsider holding events regionally, after a result like that.

As for the 1000 members, if the Croc's are anything like United, 800 of those memberships will be to Junior Basketballers via their local junior associations, doing deals with them, to target kids, and fund raise for the junior club, off every membership sale.

Reply #551210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no that's not the case - no memberships to juniors here. maybe they should look into that

Reply #551214 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would've thought with everything that has been going on with the Crocs their licence being pulled and moved to Brisbane would be all but stamped now.

Probably need to get good-very good crowds during the season for the NBL to even consider going with a 9 team league next season. 8 teams works well play each team home and away four times.

Reply #551226 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

what are people expecting in a small city, on a Wednesday? Be real people. Exactly why i think its a bit silly for playing regular season games on Wednesdays also.

Reply #551229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes imagine Perth Vs Crocs Wed night. Instant recipe for another season failing.

Reply #551232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have it as a Dandenong tournament. It worked well there.

Reply #551252 | Report this post

Or, have it in Perth. Reward the fans that turn out in droves each week.

Reply #551260 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

RE: When Blitz was at Dandenong.

I was there that time.. but probably would not have been had it not been for my son's VC reserve GF.

We got there early enough that we could catch some of the Kings game.
So if Dandy had more people than TSV ... that could be why.

It IS only a pre season tourny.

Reply #551297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right Chalmers - put something like this somewhere where people will be interested (Perth). Or at least where media might get to (Sydney, Melbourne). Having it out in a tin shed in the middle of no where is not great when you're trying to build hype about a re-branded, professional league!

Reply #551462 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Well, Melbourne won it this year, so expect it to be in Melbourne next season, which will be a good thing.

If it wasn't for the Crocs winning it the previous year, there is no way Townsville would have had it - they certainly didn't deserve it going by the poor crowds there. Pre-season or not, they should have had a better turnout.

Reply #551577 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754