RMQ
Years ago

Wildcats Conspiracy Theory about James Ennis

This is just a wild theory based on nothing but speculation.

First off - Let me state that I do not want to see Casey Prather cut. I think he is a great fit for what the Wildcats need. Yes his outside shooting is concerning, but that was not why he was brought in. Everyones talking about that, but not mentioning his ability to rebound, run the point in transition, get to the rack and finish strong - all things we needed last season but didn't have.

The theory is:

The Wildcats are not using Casey Prather in promotion material and official media opportunities because they are waiting to see what happens to James Ennis.

Explanation:

Each year the Wildcats use the new import as a poster boy. Not so much this year. Prather has been used significantly less in all paid newspaper ads and media interviews.

James Ennis does not have a guaranteed contract at the moment and could be cut at anytime before the NBA Season.

By keeping Prather's profile low, there will be less backlash if he is cut.

Reasons against this theory:

The Wildcats signing of Nate Jawai is big news. Jawai is a big drawer and arguably the cats best spokesperson.

The Wildcats learnt from their mistake of promoting DeAndre Daniels too hard and creating high expectations.

There wouldn't be enough money to entice Ennis to Perth as Jawai is reportedly on marquee money.

So that's the theory.

What do you think?

Is it crazy? or does it have some merit?

Like I said, I'm backing Prather and I think he'll deliver the cats what they need.

But James Ennis is James Ennis.

Topic #38043 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I highly doubt they will cut Prather

Reply #551270 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

All very good points for and against, but can we realistically say that there's room under the salary cap to fit Ennis even if he becomes available?

It's been talked about that a lot of the local talent has taken pay cuts in the past to fit other players in, surely that can't keep going on and Perth would still be at or near the cap with the team they've got? I doubt Nate would have come cheap, are they using marquee money for him?

I think, just like there were questions raised when United signed Warrick, there'd be similar questions raised if they managed to fit Ennis back in?

Reply #551274 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^that's one of the reasons against this theory.

It's not public knowledge if anyone on the Wildcats roster is on Marquee Money.

BUT - If it is someone, then it limits what Ennis could potential earn.

I suppose it comes down to what Prather's salary is. As it would be a direct swap - unless no one is on Marquee Money.

Reply #551276 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If Ennis becomes available and wants to come to Perth, you do what it takes to make it happen.

Reply #551278 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I admit I didn't really read the post because it's long and it's Friday afternoon, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if Perth are keeping an eye on Ennis. Teams tend to do that, you'd bet Adelaide did that with Johnson last year. As Alex says, you do what you can to make it happen - maybe that means potentially cutting Prather.

Although I suspect the reason Prather isn't in the news much is because of Nate Jawai, he's the interesting one.

Reply #551281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ennis becomes available Marvin will cut whoever has to be cut to make it happen. Wouldnt surprise me at all if this is why Prather hasnt been utilised, the Wildcats throw the players face all over WA, even Hire and that horrible moustache of his...

Reply #551282 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise especially with Ennis's contract not being guaranteed. Ennis is worth it!!

Reply #551284 | Report this post

skull57  
Years ago

I like the theory but cant see it happening maybe mid season when the cats shooting coaches are pulling out there hair trying to get prathers shooting mechanics improved and his strengths in defence and slashing to the basket fall away who knows but I think ennis will be snapped up by then.

Reply #551287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All depends on Ennis.

The minute he gives a strong indication to the Cats that he wants back in they won't hesitate to cut Prather.

And why would they? Ennis is a proven big game player massive crowd favourite and MVP candidate.

Reply #551292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and his shot isn't hideously broken like Prathers, it's fine.

Reply #551293 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I suspect when Ennis came back recently to do a clinic it was to work out specifics if he's cut by the Heat.

Reply #551294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis with his ability to knock down the 3 on this Cats team means championship. The Cats dominante team of 2013 had less talent and won because of Ennis.

Reply #551298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As i sit in traffic reading this post, the bus in front of me has Prather making a snarling face plastered across the back of it.

I don't notice any difference between how the cats marketed him or daniels. Probably consistent with ennis too, who only became more prominent once he was producing highlights on court

Reply #551304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#304 double demerits bro be careful

Reply #551306 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

James Ennis is supposedly watching this game back in Miami...the plot thickens ;)

Reply #551308 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Prathers gone down with an ankle injury... The thick plot thickens. Haha

Reply #551309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is it just me or do Perth look really crap... why not slow the offense down and pound it in

Reply #551317 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Our advantage is our disadvantage.

We've had a core group for so long that are great playing together. But throw in some new stuff and we look all over the place.

Reply #551321 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Prathers jump shot or lack thereof is a big issue as the team is probably the worst shooting team in the L.

I think its basic marketing that they would focus continued advertising on Beal - he is more recognisable. Same reason why Ced is used more than Charles. Why market a player who the fans may not know?

Reply #551322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#306 i appreciate your concern but i was on a bus myself!

Reply #551329 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think regardless of if Ennis comes back or not, the Wildcats are going to use Nate as much as possible in adverts and who can blame them... Basketball players look huge in the community and Jawai looks massive against everyone on the league and he is a commodity that the league has had very few of.

I doubt that Nate will stick around after this season so if we can use him as an attraction and get him fit and firing and it ends with 10k members and a successful season then I think Marvon and his staff have done precisely the right thing.

If we can also get Ennis then WOW!

Reply #551344 | Report this post

Nate is predominantly being use on the bus adverts because he doesn't exactly fit on a taxi decal.

Reply #551352 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Beware the grassy knoll

Reply #551356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team Perth have at this very stage isn't going to make the playoffs, even their most one eyed supporters have to be thinking it. That team is going through the motions and the guys they have always relied on are not what they used to be. Imagine where they'd actually be if Jawai wasn't slotted in! Would've been ugly. Ennis Jawai and Beal would make for a nice inside out combo or someone similar to Ennis atleast, he could come back and take away everyone else 's shots and who's to say Jawai will be happy with that, but they need an X factor go to guy, they don't have one at this point.

Reply #551358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the opening poster starting unsubstantiated rumours, let's give CP our support rather than question his job security!
We need him comfortable and playing good ball for the Cats to succeed this year !!

Reply #551375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#358, have to disagree mate, they beat New Zealand yesterday who are considered around the traps as the championship favourites.

Reply #551376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you not read my post Anon?!

I said I like Prather and think he'll be a good fit for the Wildcats.

Not once did I question his ability.

My post was about the possibility of Ennis.

Not because Prather doesn't deserve support, but because Ennis is James Ennis.

He has my support.

I'm just stating observations and putting a reason to why I think things could be the way they are.

This is professional sport. it's all part of the entertainment factor.

Reply #551382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beating NZ wont be that difficult this season. Without Webster, and their import being less than spectacular they are another that may be in for a dog fight season.

Reply #551387 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

#358, have to disagree mate, they beat New Zealand yesterday who are considered around the traps as the championship favourites
The Breakers had four starters sitting out and a fifth that played only limited minutes.

Reply #551397 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

^And the Cats had three of their starters basically not playing either

Reply #551400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats only barely scraped past a NZ team that was missing nearly everyone.
LOL! Cats are gonna suck hard this season.

NZ lost to a Cats team that had 3 of their starters basically not playing.
LOL! NZ is gonna suck hard this season.

Clearly the bottom 2 sides in the comp.

Reply #551406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF... OP has way too much time on his hands.

Reply #551435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does Olden Polynice have to do with this??

Reply #551502 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ok, a few things:
1) It's no "theory," if Ennis gets dumped by the Heat and wants to return to the Perth, the Cats will take him in a heartbeat. Unfortunate for Prather, but that's the nature of his deal as a short-term import.
How MUCH the Cats can afford to pay Ennis is another story. If its true that Nate is their Marquee player, then things may be tight. Reality is that Ennis might not WANT to return for what the Cats can pay, but then he may decide to suck it up for a year.

2) Prather does feature in advertising, but obviously he is NOT intended to be a banner player. He's only here for a year, so obviously the Cats prefer to hype those they hope to have stick around. That's just smart branding, nothing sinister.

3) Prather's outside shooting is a HUGE concern.
From the outset, Perth went looking for somebody to play on the wing. His ability to do that became even more important with the loss of Greenwood, and the signing of Jawai (which drastically shifted their profile.)

4) Prather IS expendable.
I'm not saying he will go, I have not seen anywhere near enough to even speculate. Simply saying that is the nature of the beast. He's the short-term import. He would hardly be the first import cut early in a season. He's not only the easiest to replace, he's potentially the must vulnerable.

5) Apart from the inevitable injuries to Knight & Redhage, the backcourt is the Cat's vulnerability. Last year they had Martin, Beal, and squat. Greenwood was supposed to be the answer, Prather's ability to play on the Wing was supposed to help. As we have seen, a couple of injuries and we're down to starting Kenny & Prather in the backcourt.

Reply #551842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I've seen, prather is actually a better ball handler than ennis, which is pretty important given how thin our backcourt is. It's not all about three point shooting, guys.

Reply #551852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching the Wildcats offense for the past couple of years, it is a lot to do with 3pt shooting

Reply #551859 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Actually, I think it IS all about 3-point shooting.
When the Cats (including Martin and Ennis) shoot well from outside, they win 'ships.
Last season Martin couldn't buy a bucket, U'U lost his touch, Daniels was weak from range, and that pretty much left us relying on Beal.

Reply #551939 | Report this post

Cute Man  
Years ago

Muggish analysis. It depends how you get three point shots. Everyone knows the key to offense is to get quality penetration and be a threat in the paint first. Whether that's off the dribble in half court, by getting there in transition or by posting up. 3 pointers that come after attacks of this nature are far higher percentage and even guys like Prather will knock down enough in these scenarios. Having guys that can shoot it and finish off plays is one thing, but more scarce are guys who can create it in the first place. Obviously you need a balance of both, but people making it out like Ennis was some sort of 3 pt gunner. His main threat was athleticism attacking the basket, primarily in transition and secondarily from slashing/cutting. The 3pt shooting was gravy which allowed him to work off the other talented Wildcat team mates.

Reply #551949 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No, Ennis was no 3-point gunner.
And whilst we would all welcome him back, it would only IMPROVE our problems without solving them.

When the Cats went to the US scouting, they specifically went looking for somebody who could play on the Wing. At the time I thought that was a strange target for an import, since we already had Beal. When I saw Prather's highlights, he looked like a typical SF, somebody who liked to attack the basket, and at the time I didn't see a problem with that (although I wondered how successful he would be against the bigger defence in the NBL.)

In recent years the Cats have been a bit light in the back court. Martin is awesome as a PG, but doesn't contribute a lot of points, and our bench was underwhelming, leaving a lot on Beal's shoulders. We assumed that our "last" spot would go to a SG, somebody would could add a few points off the bench. Instead we lost Greenwood, and having "replaced" him with Kenney, we filled our "last" spot with Jawai. AWESOME signing, but its left us very front-court heavy.

Reply #552042 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

They got Prather based on having Greenwood. When he left they had to get Jawai as he was Best Player Available, they would've got more of a shooter if they had of known about Greenwood.

Reply #552046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754