RMQ
Years ago

5 Days left - still no online streaming service

This saddens me.

Will one be announced?

Yes, we all know that if you have foxtel you can stream games via the foxtel go app, but about people without foxtel?

The NBL does have rights to allow a third party to stream games online - will it happen?

Foxtel's "no lock in contract" deal ends tomorrow from memory.

I feel like I'm playing Chicken with the NBL and Foxtel.

Topic #38081 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I would assume no non-Fox streaming this season.

Reply #552081 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeah, I dont think they are wanting to give Foxtel any compeition (even if you dont think it is competition) this season. So its either you get Foxtel, you get spoiled online by a facebook source while crying 'But I havnt seen the game yet', you go to a sports bar that has foxtel and is showing the game

or you come to Hoops for one of Isaac's pre game pep talks.

Reply #552082 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I despise foxtel with it's over priced repeats littered with as much advertising as free to air..

But I feel the opposite about the NBL, so every game live in HD with no lock in contract and I don't feel too dirty going back on my word about never getting foxtel again.

I will be cancelling the day after the Grand Final series is finished though.

Reply #552086 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't Foxtel have an online service which you can subscribe to separate from TV subscriptions? Will that show every game?

Reply #552088 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

$250 will cover the NBL season at $50 per month with a no lock in contract.

That's 140 games for $1.78 each.

I am hungover so my maths may not be correct if anyone wants to check

Reply #552089 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Foxtel prices aren't that bad.

But if there is a cheaper online streaming option it makes more sense to purchase that.

Which is why I said it feels like I'm playing chicken with Foxtel/NBL because if push comes to shove I'll get it only for the NBL.

When do I pull the trigger?

Reply #552091 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

With 5 days left, it might already be too late for the first cple of games if you want it for HD and installation.

Reply #552092 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

That's OK - I'll still be able to watch the games I want to watch (at a mates place or whatever).

I'm more concerned about the "no lock in contract".

Reply #552093 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

FYI, I think there are 121 games in the season if all finals go to three games (are they still all three game series?)

8 teams x 14 home games = 112 games + a possible 9 finals = 121 games

I believe the above does not get you IQ or HD, so you can only watch live and in SD?

Reply #552098 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

But even then, I would mainly watch it for Sixers away games when I can see them live(lets say I catch 10), plus some of the finals (say, 5 or 6), plus the other odd random game when it takes my fancy (say, 10) and my wife lets me take over the TV. That makes it closer to $10 per game.

Last year I could watch every game on replay late at night for $80 a season, albeit only when NBL.tv decided to work.

Reply #552100 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I like the idea of watching every game live and in HD. But the honest truth is i'll definitely watch all my teams away games live in HD and a handful of other games.

Reply #552105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm more concerned Boti's statement the NBL are about to announce a weekly game on FTA TV hasn't been confirmed yet.

Reply #552124 | Report this post

Wildcats Fan  
Years ago

What does it truly mean when it states "no lock in contract"? Is it easy to get out of Foxtel?

What foxtel channel is this on anyway?

Reply #552141 | Report this post

Wildcats Fan  
Years ago

What does it truly mean when it states "no lock in contract"? Is it easy to get out of Foxtel?

What foxtel channel is this on anyway?

Reply #552142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anon - #552124 - where did you read this as I can't find anything at all about a game on FTA.

I thought WNBL was confident of securing a game on FTA, unless if WNBL are going to announce it over the weekend or early next week then I fear there will be no WNBL on FTA

Reply #552154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RMQ i say bite the bullet and get foxtel. Regarding the possible non foxtel streaming service would that be live on mobile devices only like nbl.tv was? If so i would lean even further towards foxtel.

Reply #552159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want streaming and won't pay for Foxtel. Fair enough. So what price will you pay for streaming? in HD?
I doubt it can even be done.

Reply #552170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"@Anon - #552124 - where did you read this as I can't find anything at all about a game on FTA."

Boti said it both on his blog and a News Corp article a few days ago. He said the NBL are set to announce a weekly game on FTA TV and also a deal with Sky in NZ.

The Sky deal has since been announced but not the FTA TV game.

Reply #552174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL expects to make announcements this week regarding additional television coverage on SKY in New Zealand and possibly a game-of-the-week on a free-to-air network."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaking-news/nbl-blitz-adelaide-36ers-lose-last-pre-season-game-to-illawarra-hawks/story-fnect155-1227546061510

"The NBL also remains in talks with several free-to-air networks about the possibility of showing one game a week live."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/sky-no-limit-for-rejuvenated-nbl-as-new-zealand-also-jumps-into-2015-16-broadcast-fray/story-fndkzqrr-1227549359106

Reply #552175 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

An NBL game on FTA each week doesn't necessarily have to begin from the very start of the season. If no FTA announcement is made over the next few business days then I would not despair yet. In the past Channel 9 did a weekly game starting part way through the season.

Reply #552177 | Report this post

whitewind  
Years ago

I jumped on yesterday, not entirely happy with the deal but for $50 a month its all games in SD, first month is $50 too, so no set up cost whatsoever, and no lock in contract. Plus first month is all channels. Id have liked HD for that price but will work them over in a month or so to improve the deal.

Reply #552181 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

#552174 and #552175 - thanks for that

Reply #552185 | Report this post

Wildcats Fan  
Years ago

You can get all games for just $25 a month on foxtel streaming right??? Why are people paying $50 a month???

Reply #552205 | Report this post

Wildcats Fan  
Years ago

You can get all games for just $25 a month on foxtel streaming right??? Why are people paying $50 a month???

Reply #552206 | Report this post

Wildcats Fan  
Years ago

Reply #552207 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You can get all games for just $25 a month on foxtel streaming right???
Wrong.

Reply #552209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL tv was a joke and people here expect to get HD streaming for free. Go away. SD streaming couldn't be done. So why expect it to miracously change?

Reply #552210 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who's expecting anything for free?

NBL TV was in HD.

Perform's inability to run a streaming service is pretty meaningless. There are countless streaming services available that work perfectly fine.

Reply #552216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Whitewind ; so you got No contract, No Setup Foxtel with first month all channels and $50 month ? Thats a pretty sweet deal.

Ive tried a few avenues for foxtel but so far the best deal they have offered me is same as your but $75 install or $150 with IQ2. :/

Reply #552218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The performance of NBL.TV was piss poor.
FUll Stop. You seem to forget that getting the signal out was generally a problem because of the piss poor cabling etc from the hosting venues.
I paid for the first year and wasted my money.

Reply #552220 | Report this post

Wildcats Fan  
Years ago

Reply 552209 - Maybe I am reading it wrong then.

On the Foxtel Play website, I select a Genre Pick (lets say Entertainment), then proceed to checkout.

It gives me a form to fill out, and says my "Ongoing Monthly Cost" is $25.

If you then look at the Channels that the Entertainment Genre gives you, it contains a host of channels including one called Fox Sports News.

I have been searching Foxtel's TV Guide, and it appears the NBL games will be on Fox Sports News channel.

Am I looking at it right, that Foxtel Play allows you to watch NBL games for $25 a month?

If I am wrong then that's OK. I just want to make sure the final true cost before signing up.

Thanks.

Reply #552221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats Fan,

Due to other things being shown on the main Fox Sports channels I believe the first round (or first few rounds) have been moved to the Fox Sports News channel which is in the basic/entertainment package. Then the rest of the season the games will be on Fox Sports.

Call my cynical but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit of a ploy by the NBL/Fox Sports to entice new people to watch NBL games that currently only have the basic package ($25 a month) try and get them interested in the new season and hope once the games shift back over to the main Fox Sports channels those people will upgrade their packages to include the sports pack (another $25 a month).

Reply #552224 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Wildcats Fan - Your correct and that is something I totally overlooked. However that is under the assumption that the games will always only be on the Fox Sports Channel and not on one of the regular Fox Sports channels included in the Sports bundle. If the NBL are showing all their live games on Fox Sports News then that is going to save me even more coin :P

Reply #552225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't have Foxtel or will be getting it but just checking the guide for the Fox Sport News channel it is showing:

(all times EST)

Wed Oct 7th 7:30pm Adelaide vs New Zealand
Thurs Oct 8th 7:30pm Cairns vs Illawarra
Fri Oct 9th 7:30pm Townsville vs Melbourne
Sat Oct 10th 5:30pm Sydney vs Cairns
Sat Oct 10th 7:30pm Adelaide vs Perth
Sun Oct 11th 1:00pm New Zealand vs Townsville
Sun Oct 11th 3:00pm Melbourne vs Illawarra

Wed Oct 14th 7:30pm Illawarra vs New Zealand
etc

Reply #552227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that's the case you can drop the sports chan and let's say take the movies option for the same cost.

Reply #552230 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Rounds 1 and 2 are on Fox Sports News. They should cover the two weeks free trial period at least.

Reply #552232 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

So if I´m living overseas I can´t see the NBL this year? Pretty hard to buy a Foxtel package in Europe so if there´s no online streaming I can´t watch. Thanks NBL.

Reply #552271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Join bet365 and they have a live feed. Not sure if Sportsbet do that too.
You have to lodge a small bet $20? / deposit (and there is no obligation spend) then you can see all their live feeds. I assume tit will be the same as last season. Infinitely superior than NBL TV ever was and the only drawback is that it's wasn't un full screen.

Reply #552272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point Duncan, there should be some sort of online streaming for non-Australians, particularly if they want to make to make the "global" aspect of our game a feature/differentiator.

Reply #552277 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

NBL Executive Director Larry Kestelman announces Channel 9 as the new free-to-air partner!

Reply #552376 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754