Fworld
Years ago

Bogut sheds 10kgs in prep for new NBA season

Interesting read esp with the sugar bit which is fairly controversial at the moment.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/us-sports/australian-nba-star-andrew-bogut-drops-10-kilos-for-new-season-20151005-gk1gvs.html

Topic #38106 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

It works.

I was 100kgs. Took out sugar for pre-season one year and dropped to a shredded 86kgs in about 3 months (13 weeks).

The first few weeks are the toughest, but the cravings do go away and then natural sugars start tasting amazing.

Reply #552450 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Must admit I am pretty stunned by this.
Not because making the change has had that effect on his weight, but because it is so squarely in the category of "duhhh" type obviousness that she should have been doing this anyway if it was something he cared about.
It blows my mind that someone whose multi million dollar salary is very much related to his physical conditioning has not been receiving even average nutrition advice from his team.
I guess getting dumped from the starting 5 in the finals gave him the necessary ego hit to start giving a damn.

Reply #552452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early in his career he like many players had to bulk up to compete against nba level athletes. His weight wasn't an issue in his career until the most recent finals series.

He was still the 2nd best rim protector in the league last season.

Once you've spent a few years in bulking mode it is probably hard to cut back food, although it is probably a good idea for most players in their 30s to look to drop some kgs in order to easy the wear and tear on the body.

That said 10kgs in a month is pretty extreme.

Reply #552453 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"It blows my mind that someone whose multi million dollar salary is very much related to his physical conditioning has not been receiving even average nutrition advice from his team."

The problem is dieticians/nutritionalists don't accept that sugar is a problem, regardless of whether you're a professional athlete or not.

Reply #552468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so he had no stylist or nutrionist despite $$$

he always looked scruffy and fat to me. at least leaner now

Reply #552487 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

He looks very lean in the linked photo. He could have a great season if he can keep in shape and be a bit more mobile.

Reply #552495 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"The problem is dieticians/nutritionalists don't accept that sugar is a problem, regardless of whether you're a professional athlete or not."

Surely they at least accept that sugar = calories and calories --> weight gain, and sugary foods = High GI, therefore burn it immediately or it will slow you down and then turn to fat. Those are just basics right?

Anyway I agree that he's looking good. He had a solid 2015 overall and GSW could definitely benefit from him pitching in offensively this season.

Reply #552504 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

So that chip on the shoulder weighed 10kg. Who knew.

Reply #552508 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Seen something on Ian Thorpe where he said that although he quit swimming he was still putting away the food like he was training and hence why he was fat shamed.

I'm wondering if doctors theory is get those in the back half of their careers to cut back or they will look like old wrestlers and they have a short shelf life

Reply #552591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754