Baller#3
Years ago

Selling the NBL as a "Holiday League"

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-import-josh-childress-says-more-nba-stars-looking-to-nbl-20151004-gk0vtl.html

Having a read of this article, i had a few thoughts:

1: Childress should be the next commissioner? He has done more for the NBL in the past couple years then any other import in the last decade surely. He has to be the best speaking import and clearly cares about the game.

2: Why dont we sell the NBL as a holiday league? Come over for 6 months, play some ball, make a little coin and enjoy the summer. Especially with guys like Childress and Warrick, target those that are fringe NBA guys who have gotten a little older and could be interested in a few years to round out their careers in Sunny Australia. We are the only league that can add 'summer' to the list of positives.

3: Do we need to find our own character? Make the games fun. More of a relaxed vibe, more themed nights etc. Make each game special in its own way. Make NYE games huge, get everyone talking about how fun the NBL is.

4: Cap the league at 12 teams? I personally think we need to cap the league at 12 teams. Only inclusions from the current 8 are Brisbane, 2nd NZ, 2nd Sydney and 2nd Melbourne. Then look to build those brands and get crowd numbers up.

Topic #38107 | Report this topic

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think selling it as a holiday league is selling it short AND undermining the talent and competitiveness that is here... We've had imports that have come (and gone) who have treated it like a holiday league and they haven't performed anywhere close to what was acceptable and haven't stuck around... Sell it as a holiday league and it throws all it's credibility out the window...

You look at the imports that have stuck around, all have worked hard, taken it seriously and made an impact... Even Childress who was at the time the most NBA credentialed player we've seen in the NBL, took it seriously and that's paying off now...

There's lots of aspects that are holiday-like that can be used as positives, but selling it as a holiday league isn't the right approach... Selling it as a way to extend a players career in a competitive league in a beautiful country with lots of summer benefits, would be much better...

Reply #552466 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"2: Why dont we sell the NBL as a holiday league? Come over for 6 months, play some ball, make a little coin and enjoy the summer. Especially with guys like Childress and Warrick, target those that are fringe NBA guys who have gotten a little older "

If they haven't earned much in their career or aren't too smart with their money, then they'd be better off playing for a veterans minimum salary in NBA.

Reply #552467 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I dont mean "come over have, a holiday and not try" i mean come over play seriously, but on your off days your going to be able to relax in the australian summer etc.

Reply #552471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It pretty much is a holiday.

Five month season (including two weeks of playoffs). So short.

Reply #552473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra team pls

Reply #552655 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ennis LOVES Perth, but had never even heard of it before being approached.
So yes, I think we need to use people like him at one end and Childress at the other to spread the word.
That here is this great English-speaking country, where we eat the same food, watch the same movies, where you won't get mugged or mobbed going to the supermarket.

Reply #552671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you mean "retirement village"?

Reply #552678 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754