Anonymous
Years ago

NBL's FTA deal with Nine Network

Nine deal gives basketball free-to-air bounce

The revitalised National Basketball League has secured another key element to its future with the Nine Network coming on board as the game's free-to-air broadcaster.

The announcement comes a month after Foxtel announced it would carry every NBL game live.

Larry Kestelman, the NBL’s executive director, said Nine’s decision to cover a game on Sunday afternoons was a vote of confidence in the future direction of the sport in Australia.

"Our agreement provides for coverage of our Sunday afternoon games throughout the season, as well as a number of finals, and has the built-in flexibility to allow for timeslot changes from next year when the Brisbane Bullets re-join the competition and the league continues to develop," Kestelman said.

The NBL will also receive promotional space right across Nine’s broadcast and digital platforms as part of the agreement.

Over recent weeks the league has made a number of sponsorship announcements and the confirmation of Nine as free-to-air broadcaster is expected to result in more commercial support.

Major sponsors now include Telstra, LK Group (Kestelman’s company), Chemist Warehouse, Fox Sports and Virgin Australia, while a number of second-tier sponsors have also come on board.

However, the league continues work to attract a naming rights sponsor .

Topic #38120 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

LK said getting a naming rights sponsor wouldn't be a problem, and yet we don't have one. Maybe he's pushing for strong $$$ and not allowing it to be devalued.

Nonetheless, bloody happy with LK Off-Season

Reply #552713 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I applaud LK for holding off on a naming rights sponsor if it's because of $$ and wanting the right household name to be the sponsor.

The JB Hi-Fi National Basketball League is much better than something like The Obscure Chinese telecommunications company National Basketball league.

Reply #552715 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed, i'm liking the way the league is heading. It's a becoming a contrast to the incompetence of the last decade or so.

Reply #552716 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

The net is still full of Clinton Gardner types, though. They are hating on every change.

Reply #552721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cell buddy eh.

Reply #552722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still have fond memories of Vlahov's Obscure Chinese telecommunications company sponsorship deal for the 'Cats.

Reply #552732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look at the Sunday 3pm eastern games that will be on Nine.

Most involved Melb Utd.

LK bias?

Reply #552739 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Meh, who cares. If MU get some value out of it, at least that will be somebody.

The only bit I like, is that as part of the deal, the NBL gets free advertising. That may help.
Otherwise broadcasting a few random games isn't going to achieve squat.
This is just the way it is for Basketball in Australia.

Reply #552904 | Report this post

Jrue  
Years ago

Really excited for the future of the NBL, finally some "get it done" attitude, can't wait for Brisbane to come back..

Hopefully once the NBL gets back into prime time, we'll still a return to 12 min quarters?? *wishful thinking*

Reply #553017 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

In regards to 12 minutes quarters coming back I doubt it very much, even the NBA have pressure from their broadcast partners with how long NBA games go for (some of that has to do with so many timeouts and other stoppages).

Reply #553027 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

Best to stick with 10 minute quarters if that is FIBA's official standard for Olympics etc.

I do wish however that they stop the game clock when the ball goes out of bounds during the last 2 minutes of each quarter.

Reply #553028 | Report this post

Huh? You mean after a basket?

Reply #553030 | Report this post

Jrue  
Years ago

Yea, its a long shot. Just reminiscing about those beastly stats from yesteryears.

Had at least 2 guys on every team avging 20+

http://www.ozhoopsboards.com/showthread.php?t=7920

Also need to market the stars a bit more, plus starters pack Showbags at the royal shows..

Reply #553032 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/38120-nbls-fta-deal-with-nine-network/#p553030

Yes sorry.

Reply #553033 | Report this post

Jrue  
Years ago

Anyway, back to topic, hopefully the FTA deal will help slowly bring in some youngsters / new fans into the game like it did to me back in the 90's, just need to work on the entertainment and production value.

Reply #553036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12min quarters were way better. 48 v 40 is huge and 48 encouraged some crazy swings and comebacks over the years.

Reply #553100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jrue Wildcats have a stall at Perth Royal Show.

Reply #553101 | Report this post

Jrue  
Years ago

Yep, saw their post on Facebook, Perth is an example of a team that does it right not only on a professional level, but on a community level.

Lanard Copeland recently said he and his ex-Tigers teammates were easily recognisable in other cities, but now the imports aren't.

It's a diff era now everything's gone through the net I suppose. Used to read about players and stuff through One on One mags, etc.

Hope they bring back some sort of 30 min weekly highlights, features, interviews that they used to have in the 90's.

Reply #553108 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm not in any other state, so I don't know WHAT other teams do.
But the impression I get from a lot of posts, is NOT good.
FTA will NOT save your team.
FOXTEL will NOT save your team.
LK will NOT save your team.

I don't know about LK and MU. Last season every 2nd post on this board was complaining about what LK had done with Melbourne, now apparently he's the Messiah. I'll leave that alone.

Getting off their asses and engaging the community just MIGHT.

Everyone just wants to bitch and moan about Perth, and claim its all down to Jack's Money (although funnily enough Jack doesn't pay me to attend games, rather the reverse.) And ignore the fact that the Cats have spent 30 years working their assess off in the Perth community.

I can't say for sure, but the impression I get is that most people in Australia would be barely aware we even have an NBL, and couldn't name their city's team. The Wildcats are a household name in Perth. Even people who don't follow basketball at least KNOW who they are. The amount of work they do in schools and the community is phenomenal

Reply #553209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz I think the distiniction that needs to made between what LK has done with MU and with the league is that with the former your success comes down to recruitment of coaches and players.

Contrast this to running a league where you don't have to deal with on court results you can get the marketing right and sponsorship deals secure and you
don't get judged on a roster so to speak. and let's face it businessmen have the funds but don't know the sport so they are relying on the coach and recruiter.

Running the league suits LK more than a club as he obviously knows the marketing side of things and has the connections to get deals done with sponsorship and promotion. MU did all this nicely as well but on court they sucked.

Reply #553221 | Report this post

Jrue  
Years ago

The recruitment / import scene is encouraging with guys coming back from college / europe and also the recruitment of guys at either end of their NBA careers..

We also need more stars that identify with the team for longer periods though.. a.l.a Crawford, Grace, Copeland etc Harder these days.

Used to see stars floggin Chicken Treat and what not on FTA too.. now mainly just AFL players doing that sorta stuff.

Bottom line, more exposure, FTA and grassroots very important.

Reply #553325 | Report this post

Jrue  
Years ago

True about Perth, a lot of history and hard work put in way back since Cal came to town, the Big 4 of Crawford, Fisher, Vlahov and Grace were big stars around here back in the 90's, marketed very well.. Perth's always done a good job of connecting with the community, they're just a team you're always gonna love to support.

While I don't support the change for Melbourne to United, losing that history and some support, lets give it some time, but hopefully once another Melbourne team gets the nod, they can revert to the Tigers and get a rivalry going on.

Reply #553345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just on this, I reckon having one NBA game on FTA every weekend will also raise the profile of the sport / NBL. As long as they intertwine promotions/marketing during NBA / NBL games. That helped in the 90's.

Reply #554324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FTA is too tight to shell out the money for NBA. One had it and then went cheap scrapping a new deal.

Reply #554329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA doesn't rate so One dropped it because the NBA want too much for it. Their League Pass set up works well enough for them so they don't care.

Reply #554334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such a shame..

Reply #554342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free to air claim NBA want too much for it. That doesn't mean it is expensive. Look at the trash free to air dish up to the public. The content is getting cheaper and cheaper as revenues decline due to less advertising on their stations due to competition from new media.

Reply #554343 | Report this post

Anonymousey  
Years ago

Tough one this one, the one game per week for NBL is a start though.

Just need more promotion / marketing. Heard the latest radio spots for the new season at a general national level, something that is new.

Along with the respective local team market radio spots, hopefully will bring NBL back into public minds.

Reply #554347 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754