Jack Toft
Years ago

R1: Cairns V Illawarra

Round 1 continues tonight and this is one game vying for MOTR.

Potentially two completely different styles on show. Traditionally, Cairns have a Calypso Style about them that sees them play a high risk, entertaining style. Over the last few seasons, they have gone north of 0.5000 on game wins, but have stumbled at the post when the silverware was up for grabs. Their team is pretty stable from last year, but Wotho is a big inclusion as he continues his tour of NBL clubs.

Illawarra have had a defensive working class ethic about them you would expect from a town where locals put a spoonful of coke ovens dust in their morning coffee to get them going. But there's been changes aplenty at the club with a new coach, reverting back to the old name, changes of imports and personnel. The only thing that has stayed the same is Oscar's surfboard and Larry's penchant for weird haircuts.

I'm expecting the Illawarra style this year to be less Nescafe blend 43, and more sophisticated, like a double decaf chai latte made with organically grown coconut water and almond milk, with a twist of lemon.

Cairns have done well at home over the last few seasons, but will need to draw upon their crowd to help them tonight. Kirk Penney is back, and this can only mean one thing. Oscar is no longer the best 3 point shooter on the Hawks team.

I believe this will be a game won outside the arc as both teams race to be the first to triple figures.

Hawks, in what could be the first of many wins this season

Topic #38132 | Report this topic

Scott  
Years ago

I've got Taipans by 3 with no confidence at all. Should be an absolute cracker of a game.

For anyone who can't be near a TV i'll be live on theroar.com.au again with up to the minute updates. No I am nor promoting, just giving an alternative option for coverage.

Reply #552986 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think Oscar would still be the best 3 point shooter on that team with his feet set.

Looking forward to this game, which might be an early indicator of form for two of the teams that are hard to pick.

Reply #552997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 7 or more... Taipans wont be able to handle the fire power. Just think hawks wanna make a statement early this season.

Reply #552998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #553001 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'I'm expecting the Illawarra style this year to be less Nescafe blend 43, and more sophisticated, like a double decaf chai latte made with organically grown coconut water and almond milk, with a twist of lemon.'

LMFAO, but I still don't know why.......?

#JackToftisfunnyasallshit

Reply #553002 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

No Rhys Martin for Illawarra so it's an easy tip- Cairns to win by 7 or 8.

Looking forward to seeing Markel Starks in action. Cairns have a great system but Wilbekin was that one classy, elite level player for them last season. Most NBL championship teams have one. Problem for Taipans is, I don't see who that guy is on their roster. They have solid systems, strong team defense and they play disciplined basketball. But who can carry the team in the playoffs? Can Gliddon step up his game another level? Can Wortho wind the clock back? Or is Starks the man? Tonight, we get a good look at Starks- so that's what I'm excited about.

Reply #553013 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Cairns in a close one without Martin. Cairns can cover Tragardh easier than Illawarra can Martin. Lisch will have to handle the ball a lot tonight.

Reply #553022 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

Looking forward to this. Computer says Cairns by 1pt.

Reply #553031 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Martin out - if only the Hawks had a MVP calibre guy to handle the point.

Hawks by 5.

Jack - loved the write up

Reply #553041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch can play the pint without a problem.

Reply #553051 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The Hawks look a little unbalanced to me, and I think, more so than anyone else in the comp, a lot of their games are going to come down to how well they shoot the 3. I could see them winning big tonight, or losing by 8-10. Neither would surprise me.

Reply #553052 | Report this post

cats fan  
Years ago

Typical Bevo teams that will shoot alt of 3's and are agile especially on defence..They will play a lot of trap and press defence. They are fun to watch.

Reply #553056 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Wish we had Bevo back.

Reply #553062 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Not disagreeing, but what do you see as imbalanced with their roster?
Martin, Lisch, Penney, Forman and Ogilvy is a fairly balanced starting 5 I thought. Pretty solid bench with Davidson, Coenraad, Demos, Ellis and White too.
Too guard heavy? That's probably a fair call.

Reply #553063 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Taipans by 6.

Reply #553066 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not enough ball handling and playmaking for the Hawks with Martin out.

Forman, Penney, Coenradd and even Lisch are primarily jump shooters. An extra slasher or driver would've been good on their roster.

Although they'll still be a spectacularly good offensive team when Martin is back and they're firing on all cylinders. Penney is one of the best 3 point shooters to even step foot on an NBL court, and when you consider that he's surrounded by Coenradd, Forman, Lisch and Martin- wow. Exciting stuff.

Reply #553071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got $20 on the Hawks at $13 to win the title this season, go team!

Reply #553078 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Lisch can't handle the rock?

FFS he is the Gina Rhinehart of the NBL.

Reply #553084 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Keeping in mind I missed all of the Hawks' blitz games and so I'm judging Penny and Lisch on how I remember them, when I say unbalanced I mean they have a lot of guys in their starting 5 who are primarily shooters - Martin is the exception to that, when healthy. From what I saw of Ogilvy in Sydney, he's a solid big but not a reliable 'back to the basket' option on offense unless he's taken a step forward.

I think the team is plenty talented and should be a top 2 or 3 team this year, but I also think they are going to have games where they miss a lot of long 2s and 3s and struggle to get generate good scoring opportunities when they don't get anything from their sets.

Reply #553085 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

How did you get Illawarra at $13? 7 of the 8 teams are under $10 on Sportsbet. Townsville at $51.

Reply #553093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bet365 had the Hawks at $13 for the title when I placed the bet on Tuesday.

Reply #553094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch can play PG until Rhys is back. some seem to forget his time at Perth

Reply #553095 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I got on the Hawks @$15 on Feb 11 - Sportsbet

Reply #553105 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I got on the Hawks at $15 and then again at $9 with Sportsbet.

But I don't think they'll win tonight without Martin. I expect an 0-2 start for them.

Reply #553113 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Awkward commentary.

Reply #553116 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

When's the last time there was a televised NBL game where there WEREN'T issues displaying the scores on screen? Sheesh.

Reply #553117 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I could watch Penney play all day. He is one of the most perfect offensive players i have ever seen..just with things like footwork, ball fake, general smoothness.

Just so wrong seeing him in something other than a Breakers uniform!

Reply #553118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns up already by 7 in the first quarter. Why are people crapping on about the odds they got for the Hawks?

Reply #553122 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

About what I expected so far... A lot of threes from the Hawks and 4-out offense, and a bit underwhelming defensively, especially inside.

I'm glad to see Weeks get another shot in the NBL - he looked great vs LSU with the Kings. The time in Europe did him well. Actually fills a need for the Hawks too with his ability to attack the basket.

Reply #553123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel like Weeks is more deserving of a permanent roster spot than White, who's a bit of an offensive black-hole.

Also I thought I heard something about that screeching Cairns PA guy leaving??

Reply #553125 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ellis' play this year is going to annoy the hell out of Hawks fans.

The softness issue will continue to be at the fore of his weakness.

Reply #553127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Awkward commentary."

CJ is downright awful.

Reply #553128 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ellis hasn't shown the ability to do much offensively outside of streaky shooting from deep. He really struggles around the basket. He was a good defender last year though.

Reply #553129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB did Breakers even have a chance at Penney?

Reply #553130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NRL commentator guy trying hard even giving CJ a massive opening re: Brisbane team discussion and CJ barely says anything. not very articulate

Reply #553131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cairns up already by 7 in the first quarter. Why are people crapping on about the odds they got for the Hawks?"

31-31 right now. You were saying? Hawks got some value to them... Lisch, Penney, Bevo, AJ.

Reply #553132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think CJ has spoken in the last two minutes.

Reply #553133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

make that five. wtf.

Reply #553134 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Someone needs to check on him, I hope he's ok.

Reply #553135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

white numbers on white uniforms.....does the league actually approve some of the teams uniforms.

TV product needs distinctive singlets with clearly visible numbers.

Cairns singlets are perfect.

Reply #553136 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

CJ is cringeworthy, can't hear him properly and is having difficulty with interviews.

Reply #553138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

colour vs colour last season was good, did they scrap it for this season

Reply #553139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ knows Wortho well so the interview at HT should have been smooth except it was so awkward even Worth was having a subtle dig at CJ lol. :x

Reply #553141 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon re: Penney, don't think so. Not enough points and probably not enough coin to play with.

Doesn't change the fact that it breaks my heart seeing him wear a Hawks jersey ;)

We sure could use him now!

Reply #553143 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Is Weeks really wearing number 97? That's pretty random.

Reply #553146 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Probably the only white on white spare jersey they had....

Reply #553147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe since they play three games in a week, might be just a third alternate.

Reply #553149 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You'd think, considering they are using a number 9 anyway, and they don't have one, that they'd just do 9. 9 and 7 are both reasonably uncommon numbers for basketball. Just really weird to have a premade jersey that number ready to go.

Reply #553150 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

One of those baskets Foreman gets because people ignore him once he steps inside the arc...

Reply #553152 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

97 might be because there'd never be another player they'd sign who'd likely pick that number, making it a safe spare.

Reply #553153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow yeah #97 is so random

Reply #553154 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bruton is OK when talking purely basketball, just fails miserably at filling empty space.

Reply #553155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe a 97 jersey was premade to comemorate the 1997 season as from memory it was the last time Illawara was used as the team place name? :P

so a tribute to that and that's why this random # was laying around

just a thought

Reply #553156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lisch can play PG until Rhys is back. some seem to forget his time at Perth"

I haven't :D

Reply #553158 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

When it comes to coverage, the picture is clear in he, but that's the only change. They can promote it all they Luke but production is second rate

Reply #553160 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Refs calling too much.

Reply #553161 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

^^ motto of the NBL. ;)

Reply #553162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demos playing well. 10pts

Reply #553163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demos :00000000

Reply #553164 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I've got $10 on Illawarra @$2.95. So here's hoping.

Reply #553167 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Strong 3rd Quarter from CJ Bruton.

Reply #553168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

damn only got $2.80 but seems value as ILL right in it.

Reply #553169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Markel Starks not good enough.

Reply #553173 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Starks looked fine in the Blitz, just hasn't had a lot of opportunities to shine tonight so far.

Reply #553174 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Nice from 'Jordan' Weeks.

Reply #553176 | Report this post

butwhatdoiknow  
Years ago

Is anyone else just enjoying having basketball back and the positive changes to the league like me? All I'm reading is "the court has too much advertising" "the commentator used the wrong terminology" "the scoreboard was down for 3 minutes"
Half the nbl fans don't deserve this improvement.

Reply #553177 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Weeks is legit!

Reply #553178 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Can we take Weeks back please?

Reply #553179 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Two 3pt fouls on consecutive possessions. Weigh and Weeks, both made 2/3.

Reply #553180 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

I want the league to succeed. Half naked production won't cut it

Reply #553181 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Tied up with 2:10. Come on Illawarra!

Reply #553182 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not much going on offensively for the Hawks the last couple of possessions...

Reply #553183 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Aaaandddd... 4 turnovers in 5 possessions. Game over. Cairns win.

Reply #553184 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

5 in 6. :/

Reply #553185 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I've lost my last 12 bets... ouch!

Reply #553186 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

At least they tried to run a play that possession. The last 2 minutes of Hawks possessions seemed completely unstructured.

Reply #553187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns should have smashed the Hawks and if they had lost it, they should have had drug tests.
7 point spread after leading by as many as 9? an then trailing without Lisch and Martin.
Far from convincing.

Reply #553188 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

CJ Bruton, you the real 2nd half MVP.

Reply #553190 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Cairns should've one by more without Martin and Lisch in the second half. Starks looked really nervous out there was passive. Worthington and Gliddon outstanding.

Reply #553192 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think you can be too hard on Cairns. Even without Lisch, Hawks shooting 12-19 from 3pt land is going to keep them in games. Demos was solid, and Weeks had a strong 2nd half (but probably on the court too long in the 4th).

Reply #553193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Welcome to the Taipans Wortho! I think you will fit in beautifully :P

Reply #553194 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Cairns should have smashed the Hawks and if they had lost it, they should have had drug tests.
7 point spread after leading by as many as 9? an then trailing without Lisch and Martin.
Far from convincing."

ummm no. Cairns were without Tragardh

Reply #553195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney did have a huge defensive lapse there with 1:36 to go to leave Gliddon wiiiiiide open. Game over.

Reply #553196 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

The Cairns import situation is a bit of a worry

Reply #553198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to deLish?

Reply #553200 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ran into a solid screen and left with maybe a knee injury, it was never made clear during the broadcast.

Reply #553203 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Illawarra losing games whilst shooting 60% from 3 point land should be a real worry to them. What happens when they only shoot a very competent 45%?

Reply #553204 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Lisch's ice pack was on his Calf.

Reply #553205 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

23 turnovers, nearly half of those from Penney and Ogilvy, doesn't help...

Reply #553207 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

1. Starks is just like a school boy,just overawed & useless.
2. Wortho vs Young hopefully makes up for Starks vs Wilbekin points wise.
3. Penney couldn't beat Gliddon & Weigh.

Reply #553211 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Some soft calls towards the end by the refs certainly didn't help.

Reply #553213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without Tragardh they still should have won easily.

Reply #553215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hendo8888 we got screwed over after Lisch went down f.m.l

NBL fan yeah. W.T.F at the reffing at the end, anything Weeks did = foul. just because he is a bench player doesn't mean anytime he drives it's a charge.

Reply #553217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HE TAKES A THREE!!!!

Reply #553219 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cody Ellis looks out of shape and probably won't be in the league for very long.
FFS,He is young,should be jumping out of his skin,diving on balls and in peoples faces instead....he looks like a dud.

Reply #553223 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cody Ellis looks like he's in the kinda shape he was in when he joined the Kings midseason his rookie year... Last year he was slimmer and it made a real difference to his defense, although his shot dropped off the face of the earth.

Reply #553239 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

CJ was terrible, sounded like he was half asleep. Great player doesnt mean automatic great commentator. That hurt it for me from a telecast point of view. Solid game, both teams good shots at each other and had chances to win, a playoff series between these 2 is likely and would be great to see over 3 games. Starks didn't do much, Penney looked out of sorts, and Wortho as much as i loathe him, had a pretty decent game... Was always going to be tighter than the odds had it. Cant ask for much more than a tied game with 2min to play...

Reply #553254 | Report this post

sarJ  
Years ago

Wouldn't you think, after listening to the mumble of Cal Bruton trying to announce, someone would have coached the younger Bruton on how to talk? Cringe, cringe!!

Reply #553255 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Again he could have all the knowledge int he world on the game and experienced everything there is too in the sport, but if he can't put 2 words together, its not good news for a league who is trying to kick start itself in to popularity in the Aus sports market. This isn't an NBL level, its a Fox mistake i guess.... but it is really got to be rectified.

Reply #553259 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Good game in the end. Was pretty ugly early on.
CJ looked very uncomfortable doing the commentary particularly with a camera on him. Don't be too hard on him though, I'm sure he will be a lot better once he had a few more games under his belt.

I was more annoyed at Jarrod continually being referred to as "Jordan" lol

Reply #553261 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

League has to have a attitude of how would the AFL do it.... and there are plenty if AFL legends NOT doing commentary because they aren't up to it. You need people who are ready to go NOW, not as time goes on. This league needs to make great strides immediately. Id love to see someone like CJ be fantastic at a commentary gig, he has the look he has the experience but he doesnt have the media side of it clearly.

Reply #553263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldnt think of a worse ex player to commentate than CJ. Hes just always so laid back, he only has one gear.

Reply #553265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring on Homicide!!

Reply #553268 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It was interesting to see this game and how much the style of play differed from the opener in Adelaide.

Seemed to be more open and each team happier to shoot the three ball, they also seemed to move the rock a little quicker that the Breakers v 6'ers.

No blowout and a tight scoring contest kept it quite watch worthy last night, but the final minute was disappointing, shame really as it was heading for a cliff hanger at one stage.

The injury to Lisch really hurt the Hawks and I feel Ogilvy needs to try and change something to stay out of early foul trouble if he is going to help his team, they need him to stay on court longer.

Starks was fine, he wasn't looking to score as much as we probably would like to see but played a role and passed it well, he will be okay as his confidence grows. Both teams can improve, but both showed some good stuff early in the season.

One comment on those bigs, when they get an open look at the ring, guys dunk that freakin' rock will ya!??

Yes, we can improve the overall standard of the production but I for one am loving the live games, think I will see much more NBL this year than I have ever before...

Reply #553271 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

What's with all this... Lisch went down and the Hawks suffered talk. Hawks trailed when Lisch was on court and lead with 2 mins to go after he had been off the court for much of the second half. Does anyone watch the games anymore?
I agree on Ellis, waste of fat space. Penney looks slow and who does he think he is trying to take the game on himself to get the Hawks back in it, Foreman or Coneraad should have been looking to make a late play not old man Penney.

Reply #553274 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jokes aside, I thought CJ was better as the game went on and he settled down a bit and started talking more naturally.

Reply #553277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean Jarrad Weeks ;)

Reply #553281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo thought the refs allowed it to be too physical...a bit ironic considering his days in Perth.

Reply #553300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ did improve as the game went on. He went from the worst of all time to well below par.

Reply #553301 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

Why did Illawarra changed their name from Wollongong anyway?

I thought Wollongong was a better name as it represents a region.

Did they go back to Illawarra in order to be original again with their name?

Reply #553306 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wollongong is a town. Illawarra is a region.

So now do you think it is a good idea?

Reply #553308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Andy, yes others stepped up when Lisch went down, but it did hurt their rotation and he is a good player to lose, so yes it probably didn't help the Hawks to some extent.

"Does anyone watch the games any more?"

Well, yes we do but not everyone may have the same opinion as you, so best you get over your self importance, that's my advice.

Reply #553318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course Lisch going down hurt the Hawks. Rhys Martin their main PG was out for the game and with Lisch going down Weeks was solely responsible for PG duties. He did well except for the end where he turned it over every time down the floor.

Also not sure why people are surprised at Hawks jacking up the three. Bevo at his time with the Cats preached the same thing - jack it up!

Reply #553327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find it was Penney hurting the Hawks with the late turnovers.

Reply #553330 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The reason Penney was turning it over was partially because he was doing something he doesn't normally have to do- drive around people and take them one on one.

If Martin and/or Lisch had been there, they could've more easily ran plays to give Penney a catch and shoot option.

So even Penney's turnovers are partly an indirect result of missing their best two playmakers.

Reply #553342 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not everyone sees everything, but someone always sees something!

Reply #553368 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

And yes, that is an original quote...

Reply #553371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct it was a combo of Penney and Weeks which was directly caused by no Martin or Lisch. A bit worrying for the Taipans to barely scrape by vs. such a depleted Hawks.

Reply #553426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie obviously would know a lot of the Hawks players really well yet Taipans still barely squeeze by even with his input.

Reply #553428 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Really enjoyed this game, very high quality for this early in the season. Hawks did very well to hang in there without a PG, and Cairns are like a slick machine rolling into a new season. I haven't seen a box score but it seemed like the Hawks pulled in a heAp of o-boards or at least a few at important moments, and that's prob the RFI for the Taipans. For Illawarra it's playing fast but having composure.

Enjoyed the performances of Demos and Bruce. If they continue that form for the season their teams will be very happy.

Reply #553435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible game. Taipans lead by 7 before Lisch went down. No Tragadh, and eventually no Lisch nor Martin already out.
Both sides will need to improve very quickly.
NZ have issues and Adel who knows already.

Reply #553442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus Cotter already saying it can't just be a Childress only team and with Perth, injured Martin and no Jawaii already.

Reply #553444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul you really are a glass half full kind of guy

Reply #553446 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It wasn't one for the fanboys, Ill give you that, but in terms of actual basketball it was a good clash, as games between these two usually are. Coming out of international season that Adelaide v NZ game was a pretty average standard, so nice to see teams playing some good ball early on.

Reply #553472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul do you do PR for a living

Reply #553519 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Paul I don't see it.

That turn over by Loughton on the fast break was an embarrassment to the league. Hawks had a fair few ugly ones as well.

Illawarra's offense was not good. Some very impressive 3 point shots kept them in the game. On a number of occasions a tough 3 bailed them out after they couldn't get a good shot. In terms of actual movement and quality offense - there wasn't a lot. (Fair enough too when they're missing Martin and Lisch).

Reply #553583 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I hope Lisch plays tomorrow because it'll be a much better game if he does.

Reply #553584 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That gives me great comfort then LV ;-)

When I see a Round 1 game played at high intensity, where the teams shot 53% and 48% from the floor, 60% and 36% from 3p, and where Cairns had 20 assists to 13 turnovers, that's a quality first up game, especially compared to the poor showing the previous night. The only real blight was Illawarra's ball security.

Apart from the stats, both teams were spreading the floor, moving the ball and hitting tough contested shots, particularly Cairns. Defensively both mixed up their defences well, often on the same possession. On one trip down the floor I think Cairns changed their D twice on the one possession.

As far as Round 1 games go, there aren't too many that have the same combo of high intensity and high percentage shooting.

Reply #553585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

say hi to paul your head of NBL PR

Reply #553659 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754