Centipede
Years ago

Wortho

How many teams has Wortho played for now?

Does he just sign with whoever pays the most year to year?

Thought he left Melbourne to go to Europe but he bobs up in Cairns despite an offer from Melb that could keep him in the town he wishes to live in post retirement.

Topic #38133 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does seem like a bit of a CJ Bruton-esque mercenary.

Kings
Dragons
Tigers
Blaze
Tigers/United
Taipans

Reply #553053 | Report this post

Centipede  
Years ago

Was also at a couple of euro teams and had a firm offer from united yet left

Reply #553054 | Report this post

Centipede  
Years ago

Team stability is important, why not stay more than one season. Wortho aint the only culprit!!

Reply #553055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho only loyal to the cash. All the other talk bout staying and living long term comes out every city he plays in

Reply #553057 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Had the pleasure of speaking with him after last season, when the league was in trouble. It didn't seem like he was real happy with united at the time. Never actually said it, it was just what I took from the interview.

Reply #553058 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A big LOL @ people criticizing someone for going to the highest bidder... Seriously, an athlete's career is a fleeting thing. If you're a fan, does it suck when a guy leaves your team for more cash? Of course. It's unreasonable (and for most hypocritical too) to blame them personally for it, though.

Reply #553061 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Australian basketballers don't exactly rake in the big dollars. How much would Wortho be on for this season? 120k?

In a few short years he'll have to go get a normal job like any one of us. Who can blame him for taking the best offer while he's still near the top of his game and can still command decent money?

Reply #553068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is he didn't want leave, the United undercut him hoping he would leave, apparently he was to close Chris Anstey who went to bat to get him there. The new coach wanted to keep him, others didn't.

Reply #553074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't the talk United offered him another contract but for less than half what he was on last season?

Reply #553077 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Wortho's wife is from Cairns and her family are there.

Reply #553231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho has to chop and change teams as he gets complacent. Lucky to have Goorjian as his first coach who worked him hard which cemented his reputation as a top NBL player. Since then he has been all over the place but if anyone is going to work him hard and not take going through the motions it would be Fearne.

Reply #553234 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

And then there is that MVP award last year, got me stuffed how he got that being "complacent", "lucky" or "going through the motions". Gotta then wonder about the multiple boomers call ups too then I guess......

Reply #553246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Errr that MVP award last year was awarded to him because no one liked or could stand the import who was their best player.

Reply #553248 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah he won that because of the meltdown with McCrae... that was a weird situation. Wortho was not the best guy on that team, he would admit that.

Reply #553252 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Great halftime interview though!

Reply #553257 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think his performance last night in the season opener against the Hawks proved something...

Like, he still has it!

Reply #553273 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, totally agree, Bear... And I would argue that he was the best team on United last season... he didn't score the most points, but since when does that mean that that person is the best player? From memory he was the only one working hard on the team in the games that I watched and I can understand that if he DID get an offer that was less than what he was on, he should definitely look elsewhere, like probably every single one of the people criticising him would do...

United was a complete nutjob mess last season, I don't blame him for wanting to get out, to a championship contender where he's coming off the bench, of all things...

Reply #553278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the knockers for Wortho, no love at all and he continues to prove them wrong.

Reply #553282 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wortho and McRae could've both got MVP. They were a clear top 2- so those saying Wortho didn't deserve it, you'd *have to* admit he was at least the second most valuable player, on a team that just missed the playoffs.

Great game last night- Wortho was the most influential player on court. Cairns has so much depth though, he'll only be getting 20 minutes a game once Trigger comes back.

Reply #553284 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Cairns will have too much depth when Trigger is back - always a good problem. Fearne will have a tough time juggling minutes.

Reply #553297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho was ok with United last season but the point remains valid he has disappeared at times like during the Blaze years he was just a passenger.

Reply #553328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its amazing that some people only see a guy can score, what else did Mcrae do? he was a bad teammate, didn't compete, didn't defend, cursed out teammates, couldn't take criticism, guys didn't want to play with him, u guys only seen games, I've been to a few trainings and it was like he wasn't there, everytime Dmac would say something to him he would shut down and be done for the rest of training, talking about somebody quitting on teammates. the coaches had to force him to work hard. Wortho was the best player on that team cause he brought his lunch pail everyday, other guys didn't.

to Wookie: it was a mess, but you have to understand what went on behind close doors, there wasn't a lot of backing. they got rid of chris after the 1st game.

Reply #553347 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"Wortho only loyal to the cash. All the other talk bout staying and living long term comes out every city he plays in"

You're a tool. He cancelled his plans to go overseas and moved to Cairns because his grandmother (who lives up here) got diagnosed with cancer.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/dual-olympian-mark-worthinton-signs-for-cairns-taipans/story-fnjpuwsz-1227432404512

Reply #553349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An unknown source heard through the grapevine is the members & sponsors wanted the United to get rid of Mcrea after his on court actions, (cursed out a teammate after he missed him on a pass) but Dmac went to bat to keep the guy. Later in the season he wanted to get rid of him after players came to a conclusion that it would be best and was told he couldn't, had to finish the year with him. There was a lot going on that the outside didn't see.

Reply #553354 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I will admit that I only went to one United game last season, saw a couple on TV but hope to see more this season.

What I saw of Jordan McRae made me think that he was their go-to player or at least he had a fair license to score at every opportunity he wanted to take advantage of.

Unfortunately for him and the team, that wasn't always the best decision and his propensity to take poor shots rather than bring his team-mates into the game cost them dearly IMHO.

Talent is one thing, but when a team gets it all together and everyone buys into the same basketball ethos according to what best suits that team and their is respect both ways (coach-player-coach), then you will have a much greater chance for success...

Reply #553365 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Wow I'm a little surprised by all the hate... Wasn't Kickert their marquee player and a damn near useless... Not once in this forum has anyone suggested that Kickert was in United's top 2 players and their other import and Barlow zero just as bad.

Lay off Wortho and he was sensational last night

Reply #553372 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

McRae was easily the most talented player easily for Melbourne last year but he wasn't the most valuable due to his selfishness. E.g. Swearing at DMac and teammates and hogging the ball. Worthington was their best player who brought it night in night out. Had a better season than in 2013/14. To me Barlow was the biggest disappointment for United last year and Kickert and Dennis were more disappointing than Wortho so I think the comments on Wortho are harsh here.

Reply #553378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comments re: Wortho are true at times in his career he has been a passenger but not last season. Man that Utd team sucked with Kickert & Barlow doing absolutely nothing.

Reply #553518 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well, be fair. Kickert was quite dangerous- At one end of the court....

Reply #553582 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gee that's tough on Kickert, he delivered exactly what he has the rest of his career, anyone expecting much more probably hadn't done their research!

Reply #553586 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If anyone was doubting Wortho's passion and desire to win games, need only watch the game against the Kings tonight... While they didn't get the win, Wortho was the only one working his tail off for the most part and was easily the only player getting it done and was NOT happy when his teammates weren't putting in the same effort at times...

Reply #553774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and in a parallel when all his teammates are in the gym working out throughout the week they are NOT happy seeing Wortho not bothering to lift, maintaining his fat girly arms. Pathetic for a pro sportsman.

Reply #554254 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754