AngusH
Years ago

R1: Melbourne vs Townsville

Yikes, that Townsville crowd.............

Topic #38142 | Report this topic

Mad Hatter  
Years ago

Definitely green/green/green - quite a few empty seats - hope it fills a bit

Reply #553456 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I just can't deal with watching a guy called Jordair Jett play ;)

Reply #553457 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Got on Melb by 11 + at TAB NZ at $4.20.

Thought that was good value.

If any team is going to get complacent /take their foot off the pedal its Melb though.

Reply #553458 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Won't matter too much if Townsville continue to miss open shots, play D like they've never seen an onball screen, and give up offensive rebounds...

Reply #553459 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Going to be interesting to see Goulding's numbers this year. Melbourne are good enough that they don't really need him playing hero ball and firing from NBA range each possession.

Reply #553460 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Schensa? Really? The errors with not being able to say names properly is bugging me. But Rucker is a great color commentator

Reply #553461 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Melbourne by 5

Reply #553462 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Rucker is a gem. Great colour commentary.

Reply #553463 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't think the Crocs will miss Blanchfield as much as first thought.

Steindl will fill that hole nicely I reckon.

Reply #553464 | Report this post

But who fills Steindls hole?

Reply #553465 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Serious question:

Is Jett's hair allowed?

Sure longish hair is fine but his hair is down to his belly button!

Reply #553466 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Teams look like they're playing a pick up game.

Reply #553467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the crowd of a pickup game too :-/

Reply #553468 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah it does have the NBA no structure feel about it. Looked like the Crocs were about to get blown out big time but they did a good job to get back in there. Would help if either of their imports was in shape.

Reply #553471 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

My humble reflections:

-Derek Rucker- best commentator so far, well researched, sounds like he is enjoying it and sounds professional.
-It's pronounced Shensha not Shensa- to the other commentator
-Hakim Warrick, as expected, dominating!
-Tville crowd- about 500, looks terrible!
-Jett cannot shoot but can do a few nice things.

Reply #553474 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Good game so far Townsville are scrapping hard. Crowd is sad to see though.

Reply #553475 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Enjoying the contest, but what did Schensler do wrong early in the third to get an offensive foul of Machook Machook?

Loving the commentary too...

Reply #553476 | Report this post

butwhatdoiknow  
Years ago

Best commentary pairing so far by a long way. Rucker is impressive, speaking of impressive, Todd Blanchfield ey?

Reply #553477 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Ha, great banter...

'Are you saying Americans inflate their height?'

'They shrink coming over on the plane!'

Great stuff :)

Reply #553478 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Rucker is fantastic. Genuinely excited to commentate.

Loved when Blanchfield hit that three.."and Blanchfield's like ima just bank in this 26 footer three".

Reply #553479 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, one thing has to change, that green, has to gooooo!

Reply #553480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl will never make that next step, his shot is too streaky and still has no mid-range game. He's been needed to develop that mid to close range floater as he is too weak to finish in traffic but hasn't improved in that department by the looks of it.

Reply #553481 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect you're right, he might be a good 4th or 5th option but never more. Still, he's very handy in that role.

Reply #553482 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Derek rucker is sooo good to listen too! Its the cowboys team mvp type dinner tonight so was always going to be very hard t attract a crowd. Horrible planning. Great to see the swamp again though.

Reply #553483 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Wonder if Cowboys had more people at the airport after their grand final win than there are currently in the stadium in Townsville. Wonder if they should have tapped into that win.....

IE give free tickets to the Cowboys club/team and congratulate them at half time. Cross promote the NRL in the NBL up there

Reply #553485 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

Production still bland but saw a few small changes.

Reply #553486 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Production is fine.... what could you ask for besides a closer game. Not enough every game is easily accessible now everyone is Steven Spilberg. Carrick will look to dunk every single play.... every single one. Going to be a great season once teams start to really gel.

Reply #553487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rucker was very good, smooth and relaxed like he's talking to a buddy in his lounge room.

Fox need to get better graphics showing Conklin vs Warrick points/assists, they're bigs might be better to show points/rebounds.

Reply #553488 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

Production is fine? Do you watch nba? College? Euro league? Production is half aassed and unimaginative

Reply #553489 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is still very bland, but this deal wasn't done that long ago and there isn't a pool of game footage to use yet. If it still looks like this in a month or so that's a worry, but give them time.

Reply #553490 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, I think the production is OK. Obviously they are still feeling their way, but Rucker was a real find. Given it's season #1, it will likely take a few weeks for everyone involved to find their feet.

Reply #553492 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's plenty of Blitz footage, and Fox did a bunch of interviews with players and coaches over that weekend.

Reply #553493 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Majok continues to impress....great stock of rookie big men this year. Kay, Majok, Hodgson.

Reply #553494 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This isn't the NBA, its a league trying to find its feet and some finances in the process which will lean towards better tv style features. Its More than adequate for now, glass half full, seen 3 games all in very good quality n 3 straights nights. Too much nit picking for me here.

Reply #553495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think quite a few people blew their loads too early calling Nick Kay Rookie of the Year! Big Matt has him covered, but Majok will be close. Sobey could also surprise as the season goes on!

Reply #553496 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think Blitz footage is really worth the trouble. Give them time to slot their own produced footage into the coverage. It does need to improve given the deal is reviewed after year one, but it's not going to happen overnight.

As long as there's improvement by the time it hits the main FoxSports channels I think the NBL should be happy their money is being well spent.

Reply #553497 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

Good production and imagination will make all the difference. They need to find ways to make people care about the team's and players. This is how you get new viewers in.

Reply #553498 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Majok and Sobey are ineligible for ROY.

Reply #553500 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Have they stated criteria for this year?

Reply #553502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok looked great, him and Warrick are what they needed in the C spot, moving Kickert back to the pf spot is a good thing, looks to be a really well rounded team this year.

Reply #553503 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Blanchfield was awesome tonight 29 and 8, with 7 of 9 threes, some of those threes were tough too over pressure. If he keeps his form up he will make a strong case for replacing Goulding or Newley in the boomers team.

Reply #553504 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Have they stated criteria for this year?
They've confirmed that Majok is ineligible. There'd be no question over Sobey, as he played NBL last season.

Reply #553506 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/guyneville/status/651557989409665024

Reply #553507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rucker isn't a find he commentated the odd game during the last Fox stint when during playoffs they would add a third commentator. Glad he is back it's been far too long.

Reply #553513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hm agree with you bust most people have no idea. At this stage only the hardcores will watch no new fans will be attracted to such a production. oh well at least us hardcores get every game in HD for at least one season. after then who knows ;/

Reply #553515 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Agree with others - Rucker is a great fit on the commentary team. Top notch along with Heal. CJ on the other hand ....

Townsville crowd looked dismal, Cairns only looked marginally better though. To be honest, 6:30pm tips on weeknights will kill QLD crowds, it has always failed. Would hope that future consideration be given to this to allow for 7:30 starts, or at least 7.

Reply #553520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr bEn Taipans had 4.5k. but Crocs crowd tonight looked scary. What's the bet the match report won't show the attendance #

Reply #553521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South eastern states don't care. It's all about them and their timezone. How about over west games are at 4:30pm in the middle of summer and it's still bright as hell and 35c sweltering. sux

Reply #553522 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Hey my hair is as long as Jordair Jetts

No one has said anything to me.

Gets in my way sometimes though lol

Reply #553523 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

"Mr bEn Taipans had 4.5k."

We did? Could have fooled me... and the ticket collectors.

Reply #553524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

match report said 3,750

Reply #553526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide on Wednesday was the one close to 4.5k maybe that's what the poster above got confused with?

Reply #553527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well GordonG what was the # then? 3750 as the report states?

Reply #553528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fox guys mentioned the upcoming schedule for both teams. The Crocs now play their next 5 games on the road so their season will be over before their home fans get a second chance to see them and Melb Utd play their next 6 games at home.

This is the worst NBL scheduling I've ever heard of.

Reply #553530 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Melbourne have a lot of home games now because Hisense will be unavailable towards the end of the season due to the Australian Open.

Reply #553532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty standard Melb and Perth have long road stretches every season due to tennis at their venues.

Reply #553535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Adelaide game was 4,520 where are people getting the figure for the Cairns game from? Can't see it in the match report or on the box score.

Reply #553536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bro it is on the Taipans website as someone else mentioned.

http://www.taipans.com/fixtures/match-reports/taipans-hold-off-hawks-in-cairns/

Cairns Taipans 79 (Gliddon 19, Weigh 15, Loughton/Worthington 12 points)

Illawarra Hawks 71 (Penney 12, Weeks 12, Demos 10)

@ Cairns Convention Centre, 8/10/15. Crowd 3750.

Reply #553538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was your figure Mr. Ticket Inspector Gordon G-Unit maybe provide some facts please instead of a "news to me" retort. Interesting to see if the no. was fudged.

Reply #553539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is the match report for Townsville Melbourne? so slow

Reply #553540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bro it is on the Taipans website as someone else mentioned."

Silly me I was going by the NBL's match report of the game not the Taipans own match report, would've assumed they were the same.

Reply #553543 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's on the NBL website. Try looking.

Reply #553544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, Gordon G would know.

Reply #553545 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Previous post was in reply to the Anon asking for tonight's match report.

Reply #553546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where.

Reply #553547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon yes that's why I am asking Gordon G what the crowd was from his info instead of a "news to me" comment.

Reply #553548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/r1-report-snakes-steal-win-over-hawks/

koberulz, try reading.

Reply #553549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Front page of nbl.com.au has no link to tonight's game report. First story is the game preview.

Reply #553550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More Rucker and Heal, less Bruton please

Reply #553552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ohhh koberulz still waiting for you to link me to MEL TSV game report from the NBL front page.

Reply #553559 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Apparently it's not on the NBL website, it's on something that simply looks identical to the NBL website: http://nbl.fspdev.com/featured-news/r1-report-blanchfield-returns-to-townsville-downs-crocs/

http://nbl.fspdev.com/

That's odd.

Reply #553560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But it's not odd you were wrong.

So I was right. Not on the front page of nbl.com.au yet you had to answer with a smug "Try looking" reply.

I wonder how you found that strange link after replying with certainty it was on the main page? Oh that's right you would of Googled it in a desperate attempt to show you were right. Talk about foot in mouth.

Reply #553561 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL tweeted the link. I didn't notice that it wasn't the NBL website because it looks exactly like the NBL website.

Reply #553562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That may be so but you were still wrong, and rude with the condescending reply.

Try looking next time.

Reply #553563 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It wasn't exactly a remarkable assumption. In any event, the match report is also accessibly from the NBL's Twitter and Facebook pages, so it still wasn't hard to find.

Reply #553565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try being a little less condescending next time.

Reply #553566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many whingy types, no one nows it all. Calm down and stop bitching at each other....

Reply #553567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the Blnchfield story how he came from being a DP and now a legit force in the league.

Wish he had have stayed with Townsville doe.

Reply #553571 | Report this post

Enough negative  
Years ago

All these negative posts are getting a bit old.
Sure the broadcasts aren't comparable to the nba yet but it is a big step from last year right.
At the end of the day we are getting to see every game live and in HD. That is what I'm interested in, I couldn't really care about seeing footage from other games or the blitz.
It is kind of refreshing not having to sit through the segments like the afl where they over analyse every possession and have 6 commentators all trying to make outlandish comments to get themselves noticed. And at least we aren't having to put up with listening to Dermott Brereton.
As with most sports, it is very simple to be an armchair coach/critic without knowing all the facts. Venue availability might be one reason that teams now have extended home or away schedules.
I know this is a lot to ask for, but maybe if we all got on here and built a list of constructive suggestions/opinions on the Nbl then the right people may take notice and try to implement some of these ideas.
Ie league assistance to lower teams.
I think the league could help a Townsville by assisting and potentially having an allowance for them to get higher quality imports. If they could attract an Ennis and Childress level pair then it would really help their position with fans etc and would make for a better league overall.
I think there was a similar program in place in the AFL where the league paid some of the salary for the big name players at GWS and Gold Coast.
Just a thought...

Reply #553572 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Unfortunately, the every game live part of the deal is only for one year, with a review at the end of it. If the coverage is simple, there is no reason for casuals to get hooked on it, and there probably aren't enough NBL fans watching to keep the same level of coverage.

So over the course of the season the coverage needs to add elements that help keep casual viewers watching. It doesn't need to be like the NBA, it has a big audience already and other ways of getting their message out around the world, it needs to be innovative and consistently show the best bits of the NBL throughout broadcasts, and tell the tale of the season to give people a reason to tune into the next game.

We have to give them time, but there has to be improvements on how the NBL's money is being spent or next year there's a reasonable chance we won't be seeing every game live.

Reply #553574 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Feel for Townsville losing Blanchfield - obviously couldn't compete financially.

Reply #553575 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Yes you whinging Anons calm down. Cairns crowd was 3750 as published,not hard to find. Now last night looked like only around 1500,which is super disappointing for the Crocs.

Reply #553576 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I'm sorry but the crocs are done... It's sad but how long can you keep propping up a sinking ship. I think they need to "relocate" the team to a new market.

Reply #553577 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought the crowds in Adelaide and Cairns were pretty good for midweek, if that's the standard for Weds and Thurs this season I think the league would be ok with that.

Townsville are a real worry, but hopefully things turn around for them. It's tough trying to win fans back when you don't have a great team.

Reply #553578 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Agreed Paul, and hard to put a winning team on the floor when there's no money. No playoffs the last 3 seasons and highly likely to be 4 this year.

Reply #553579 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

It all went downhill for Townsville with past management when they got rid of Rillie and Homicide and the club today is paying the price for mistakes made 4 - 5 seasons ago.

Reply #553580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's pretty certain that the new Brisbane team will just take over Townsville's licence.

Why bother keeping the Crocs when the fans have turned their backs on them, they keep putting teams out on the floor that suck because they have no money and the NBL could remain as an 8 team league with everyone playing each other 4 times a season, 9 teams would reduce the evenness of the schedule.

Reply #553593 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

They had an excuse when they were playing out of an RSL; they don't have an excuse now.

If they don't start showing up (atleast for weekend games, and last night was a Friday) then, they should be kicked out of the league. Crap franchises will bring the league down.

Reply #553598 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haven't seen this game cos the replay hasn't been put up on the app...

But based on the highlights- Blanchfield was left open a lot early in the game, and then starting shooting the lights out of it later on, once he'd had the chance to get his eye in.

United and Illawarra both have so many shooters this season and both have a legit inside target too- so we will see them both nail plenty of 3's.

With Goulding and Holt so tough to stop in one on one's, and Warrick roaming the baselines- all requiring defensive help- I expect Blanchfield to find himself open very often this season. It's encouraging that he can clearly shoot the ball very well.

Reply #553601 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh and I also *love* that Holt looks keen to push the ball up the floor at every opportunity.

If nothing else, this team should be very exciting to watch this season.

Reply #553602 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goulding with 11 assists last night, that tells a story of the approach of this team.

Reply #553603 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Totally agree.

I was worried about that, when it became apparent watching the Blitz that Holt loves taking a shot. You need a balance on a team where there are shot takers and there are pass first guys who are happy only taking a few shots a game. If this team can find a nice balance where everyone buys in and they're all happy to make the extra pass then they could be very dangerous. But that's a big *if*- it was my first question mark on this team, and remains an open question because, let's face it, it's early days and they just played a team who might struggle to win more than 6 or 7 games.

My second question mark was interior D. And that's something that's harder to tell from watching the highlights. I note Conklin got some buckets on the inside and the D on those was poorer on some of those plays than I would've hoped. I'll be watching Majok closely tomorrow to see how he goes against Ogilvy.

It's exciting times for Melbourne fans, because if those two question marks can be resolved or adequately overcome then this team could be something special.

It already looks apparent that there's more flat out scoring ability on this team than any Melbourne NBL club has had this millennium- I can't think of any other with 5 guys who could go off for 25 on nay given night.

Reply #553604 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And another thing worth watching tomorrow will be how well Kickert and Warrick go in getting a hand on the outside shots of Forman and Ellis.

Some of the contenders- Illawarra and Cairns specifically- have 4 men who can nail the 3. Warrick and Kickert will need to show they can defend on the perimeter.

Reply #553605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Callisto, perhaps it was Jupiters upping the rent and removing the 600 car parks for unit development that caused the demise of the crocs...... ?

Reply #553606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jupiters didn't help the cause but Crocs were declining even before their decisions.

Surely now Cros are merely a placeholder for Brisbane next season.

Reply #553649 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:51 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754