Anonymous
Years ago

Worst NBL television ratings in history?

Melbourne v Illawarra 27,586 on GO (I bet Channel 9 still wouldn't be happy with that figure) no idea how it rated on Fox.

Adelaide v Perth 3663

Sydney v Cairns 1917

These are appalling figures. Yes they are on Fox Sports News channel ATM but still terrible.

I know it's early but unless something drastic changes, you can bet that Foxtel will tear up the contract at seasons end.

I'm not being negative, just being realistic :-(

Topic #38169 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually - you are being negative!

So what were the expected ratings? Per city, per demographic? Oh you have no idea and are only guessing?
Thought so!

What were the ratings last week to the corresponding shows on the same channels? Oh no idea again?

So assuming you are actually a basketball fan why wouldn't you look for positives? Couple of fast paced exciting games. Some great highlights and good crowds at the games?

Nah its easy to sit at the keyboard and take pot shots telling everyone how shit the sport is and that its all going to crumble at season end.

Reply #554159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a HUGE NBL fan mate.

Do you honestly think that 1917 NATIONALLY for Sydney v Cairns is decent?

OR Adelaide v Perth 3663 NATIONALLY for Adelaide v Perth is decent?

Come on, no matter how entertaining the games are, if people aren't watching them on TV, Foxtel will not broadcast them.. SIMPLE... PERIOD.

I have watched the NBL for 23 years and I cannot remember the ratings being this low EVER

Reply #554164 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

A bit too early to worry too much about ratings. Worry if it is like this in 2 months

Reply #554165 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those are just normal ratings compared to the last time the NBL was on Fox, and it's currently on a channel with virtually no lead-in audience, compared to a main channel Fox Sports channel back then.

I would say 28K going up against Bathurst was about what Nine was expecting. No one makes judgements on one game, particularly given rating figures generally need a much larger sample to be considered accurate.

It's almost as if the poster thinks that's exactly how many people were watching! Perhaps we could rename this the worst thread in NBL history?

Reply #554167 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Where did these ratings come from? seems really low. There was a fair bit of social media activity etc. regarding the broadcasts (mainly their errors), would have thought they would have been a lot higher.

Reply #554168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So what were the expected ratings? Per city, per demographic?"

Let me ask you this question.

If you were CEO of Foxtel, would you telecast a sport that can't even rate at 4000 Nationally?

Please answer that question honestly

Reply #554169 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The CEO wouldn't be drawing any conclusions on one round, because he knows those figures will be irrelevant come years end.

Reply #554170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know anything about the ratings, past or present, but I did watch the game on Sunday on the GO and the talent on display was awesome.

I'm yet to get the app but will do this week (no mention of number of views via app.. this will grow big time as the season goes on)

I would have to say TV viewership will grow over the season as the quality on the court is so high and the team play will improve with more games.

Its very interesting to see how much improvement is still there to be made for the coverage of the game. i can only see positives really

Reply #554171 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

The figures aren't great, but they will surely improve when given a proper channel. The product is good, people will come back

www.wildcatsviews.com

Reply #554172 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

Production needs improvements and I think it will improve if Jeremy loeliger reply to my tweet is accurate

Reply #554173 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As I've said earlier, the rounds on Fox Sports News are basically a pre-season run for the coverage. Start taking notice of the ratings in a couple of months time, then they'll start having an impact on next year's coverage.

As for FTA, given the minimal promotion of the coverage has been for Nine or Gem, 28K first up on Go is a respectable figure. Not what they'll want long term on Gem, but an OK start.

Reply #554174 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

If it's like that at the end of the season I'd be concerned but early days yet.

Reply #554176 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Does that include the people who watched the Live stream for free on the app? Perhaps more will tune into Fox/Nine once they have to pay for the stream.

Reply #554179 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Im telling you right now, no one even looks at channel 500, if they are channel surfing for sport they are most likely going to click 501 and search up from there.

Reply #554185 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I do not believe for a second that only a couple thousand people out of over around 6 or so million fox subscribers watched.

Reply #554186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Email or phone the NBL

Reply #554189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/Haydenfreedom

Reply #554192 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

What is it with this 'proper channel' stuff? It keeps popping up, as though the new channels are in some way secondary. It's not about the channel, it's about the promotion. And the [viewing] pattern - i.e., people knowing when to look where.

I knew yesterday's game was on but it wasn't in the printed program I was using and so went looking for it - albeit at 3 p.m., not 2.30, when it started.

But Ch93 is as much a 'real channel as Ch9, Ch24 is as much a 'real channel' as Ch2, and so on, even if Ch7 hasn't quite worked out that, with three channels, they can actually run three different programs.

Get over it and find out [& watch] the game where and when it's on.

Reply #554194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's much of a surprise the game on FTA TV got a good nine times the ratings the Fox games got. It was always a silly idea to hide the league away on Foxtel and LK should've used that money to buy on to FTA TV in a bigger way than just one game a week.

Reply #554197 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

This forum would be better on Reddit, then a post with actual links and facts would be higher up and not lost in the discussion.

Link to sources or GTFO.

Reply #554208 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The concern for me isn't that they're low, it's that they're trending down. If you've watched one NBL game, you know where to find the other NBL games. And people aren't coming back. That's not a good sign at all.

On the other hand...most TV guides didn't bother to list the NBL game on Go!, Bathurst was on, and they still managed 28,000. That's impressive.

Reply #554213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs to be on channel 9 instead of a 1960's western movie! Gem is to far down the dial and it hurt the standard 3 channels flick theory of the casual viewer

Reply #554225 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"What is it with this 'proper channel' stuff?"

It's simple POP, they're currently being shown on a channel that doesn't usually show live sport and which has an extremely low viewership, so there is a very low chance of anyone coming across it who wasn't actively looking for it.

As for trending, remember that these ratings are an estimate, the viewing habits of a couple of thousand households extrapolated across the entire metro population, so on a sample of seven there can't really be a trend.

Reply #554245 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW POP I'm referring to Fox Sport News above, as others have, with the proper channels being one of Fox Sports live sport channels.

Reply #554246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is so hard to understand.

As a sports fan with Foxtel by default when I channel surf it is between channels 501-525 which are Fox Sports 1-5, ESPN 1-2, Eurosport & sometimes above these in the guide like Main Event for boxing, SKY for racing and beIN.

Fox Sports News is on channel 500 which you would never bother with. Being a NBL fan now I do check it but the casual wouldn't know the news channel is showing live content so continue to ignore it. Wait until NBL is shown on Fox Sports 1-5 people!

Reply #554247 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Am I the only one who goes to the TV guide and presses 5 when looking for sport to watch?

And that argument doesn't really fly when game one rated so well.

Reply #554267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Wednesday rated well as there wasn't any other live content on Fox Sports.

Once we got to Thursday and beyond pretty much every Fox Sports channel had live coverage going. So the total audience is split by six Fox channels.

Reply #554268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fox Sports News argument is crap.

Every single NBL club posts on Facebook exactly what channel People can watch their team play on.

So does the NBL Facebook page (which has over 50,000 Likes).

So to not even get 4,000 viewers is pathetic, no matter which way you slice it

Reply #554293 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How do you know they only had 4000 viewers?

Reply #554294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because casual sports fans are following NBL facebook pages. Talk about missing the point.

Reply #554296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And that argument doesn't really fly when game one rated so well"

Of course it doesn't, what kind of marketing was there of the game on GO?

Reply #554297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am going off Twitter feeds, it may be approximate but 3700 is a lot different to 10 or 20 thousand.

I also sent a message to Ausmediaweek, who consistently post figures for a variety of TV shows/sports (the A League has rated from anywhere between 30k to 80k per game btw) and they mentioned that the figure is so low, it doesn't deserve a mention

Reply #554299 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What does that have to do with anything?

Reply #554300 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Koberulz, I also go to 5 but I never theme click on FSN unless I'm specifically looking for scores to a particular game played that day/night. Shows on low-rating channels usually rate low, especially when they're a product like the NBL which has a small following.

Reply #554301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How do you know they only had 4000 viewers?"

Looks like we've moved into conspiracy theory territory only one week in.

Reply #554302 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Previous post was directed at the Anon asking about marketing for the game on Go!

Reply #554303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone was at the game. Melb Hawks got nearly a full house!!

Reply #554304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ratings boxes are in a small percentage of households anyway. Who knows the real ratings.

Reply #554305 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

paul, if you're looking at the sports section of the TV guide FSN is right there at the top. People are going to see what's listed there.

And again, game one rated well. So people are obviously aware of the NBL being on that channel, and haven't tuned back in for other games.

Reply #554306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read above koberulz.

Wednesday barely any other live sport on the other Fox channels. Thurs-Sun all six had live content up against FSN. Hence good Wed ratings.

Already above ppl said they start with FS1 and go up.

Reply #554307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah because casual sports fans are following NBL facebook pages. Talk about missing the point."

I think you are missing the point ENTIRELY.

People "like" Facebook pages because they "LIKE" that product.

So they have an interest in it.

Perth have over 80,000 likes.

NBL over 50,000 likes

Melbourne and Sydney over 20k each.

So if the people "interested" in the product aren't watching it, what hope have we got?

Reply #554308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casual sports fans who are potential new fans. YOU are missing the point. Increased TV coverage is in hopes of attracting new eyes, the true believers will watch regardless.

Reply #554309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What does that have to do with anything?"

Koberulz, relax I was backing up your argument. Some here are pushing "it's on a low rating channel no one watches and no one knows it's on there" crap all of which could be applied to the game on GO and it still got far better ratings.

Reply #554310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO is FTA so will always get 10x what an unknown Fox channel will rate.

Reply #554312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We don't know the real ratings, but they are low, as expected when the deal was struck so late it had to be put on Fox Sports News, a channel which has been known to rate zero.

If they are this low at the end of the season it will up likely up the price the NBL will have to pay to keep all games live significantly. If they improve to, say, 20-30K per game maybe it becomes closer to cost neutral? If it improves out of sight maybe the NBL can ask for some rights money?

Moral of the story is what happens later in the year will matter, not in the first month of a new deal.

Reply #554314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"GO is FTA so will always get 10x what an unknown Fox channel will rate."

End thread.

Reply #554315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Read above koberulz.

Wednesday barely any other live sport on the other Fox channels. Thurs-Sun all six had live content up against FSN. Hence good Wed ratings."

Riiiiight.

So in other words, when other sports are competing with the NBL, we can expect very poor ratings... Great... Bye, bye Fox Sports contract for next season

Reply #554316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you expect. NBL was going up against A-League, V8 Supercars (Bathurst), World Surf League, Formula 1, President's Cup golf, ATP/WTA tennis - the last three TOP international sporting contests.

Reply #554319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's clear many on here have no idea how TV works.

Why do you think NBL is Wednesday-Sunday. Wed-Fri avoids the crowded weekend and gives Fox content on slower days.

Reply #554320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Casual sports fans who are potential new fans. YOU are missing the point. Increased TV coverage is in hopes of attracting new eyes, the true believers will watch regardless."

Really? The true believers will watch regardless?

There must not be many "true believers" then.

In fact 1917 in the whole nation for Sydney v Cairns and 3663 for Adelaide v Perth.

Yeah, tonnes of true believers

Reply #554321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. There are not many NBL fans around nowadays. Eveb less with Foxtel, how many on here actually purchased a package? Most are using free app an assessing their options.

No one but you said there are "tonnes" of true believers. There goes your argument.

Reply #554322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who can't see that the NBL clubs are consistently telling their fans EXACTLY which channel their fans can watch the games on and yet we get two games rating under 4k, truely needs medication

Reply #554323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What do you expect. NBL was going up against A-League, V8 Supercars (Bathurst), World Surf League, Formula 1, President's Cup golf, ATP/WTA tennis - the last three TOP international sporting contests."

I expect more than 3663 viewers nation wide. I can assure you Foxtel do too.

Television is a business not a charity

Reply #554325 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Those low numbers are so hard to believe, i did my part and watched every single game. Crowd at United game was huge!

Reply #554326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I expect more than 3663 viewers nation wide. I can assure you Foxtel do too.

Television is a business not a charity"

Agreed. NBL can't compete with all the other live events being broadcast. You seem to think I am arguing something I'm not. I am giving reasons why the ratings are so low. Of course these low ratings will result in a bad result for coverage in future. I never said it wouldn't.

Reply #554327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benno if you don't have a ratings box it doesn't matter what you do.

Reply #554328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Agreed. NBL can't compete with all the other live events being broadcast. You seem to think I am arguing something I'm not. I am giving reasons why the ratings are so low. Of course these low ratings will result in a bad result for coverage in future. I never said it wouldn't."

Thank you, my apologies to you then.

At least someone on this forum can face some simple facts

Reply #554330 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not really that surprising, because no one is watching the channel beforehand, the only viewers are NBL fans with Foxtel who hunt the game out, and not many of them are going to watch all seven games in a week. It possibly didnt help that the first game, which is always one of the highest rating games of the NBL season, was really poor.

Reply #554331 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Television is a business not a charity."

Which is why the NBL is paying for coverage, something that won't change without better ratings once the coverage flicks onto the live sport channels.

Reply #554332 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Does Foxtel have ratings boxes? They're all connected to the Internet/phone line/whatever anyway, so I wouldn't think they'd need to?

Reply #554333 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Will the games be shown on foxsports1-5 at all?

Reply #554335 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Have we actually established that the NBL *is* paying for coverage?

Reply #554336 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, I believe their ratings come through the same or similar system as the FTA channels.

Reply #554337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At least someone on this forum can face some simple facts"

followed immediately by paul:

"It's not really that surprising, because no one is watching the channel beforehand, the only viewers are NBL fans with Foxtel who hunt the game out, and not many of them are going to watch all seven games in a week. It possibly didnt help that the first game, which is always one of the highest rating games of the NBL season, was really poor."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Give it up, man! Yes the casual sports fan is going to watch NBL over ATP/WTA tennis, PGA golf, V8 Supercars, A-League, EPL, etc etc. over the summer.

Reply #554338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel ratings data are derived from Nielsen boxes just like free to air.

Reply #554339 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Give what up man?

Reply #554340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Have we actually established that the NBL *is* paying for coverage?"

Yes, it's been mentioned quietly by LK and Boti.

Reply #554341 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Koberulz, my understanding is production costs are being shared, so yes, the NBL has to fork out. I imagine the point of the review after year one of the five year deal is to assess if that distribution of costs is fair, whichever way, and adjust coverage and/or costs accordingly.

I doubt that review will even discuss these early ratings though, there'll be far more relevant data at hand from later in the season.

Reply #554345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox have an option to tear up the contract at the end of the season if the NBL doesn't bring in a SE QLD based team next season.

Reply #554346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are you sure these ratings are correct..? hard to believe that only a school full of people tuned in to the kings game..
My dad who never watched kings tuned into the game, my mates mum said she watched it and today at uni, some girl told me she decided to watch it cos she was bored... thats 3 people that i know personally that knew it was on, you tell me only a little over 1000 more across the nation decided to tune in..

Reply #554350 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If those people don't have ratings boxes they don't count. The ratings extrapolate from around 2000 households to give national figures.

Reply #554352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hardly any boxes out there but sadly are used to determine viability

Reply #554353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, where can we get one of these ratings boxes?

Reply #554355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know if you've got one?

Reply #554356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a device attached to your TV. So if you have one you know about it.

Reply #554358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Okay you're you, I'm me"

"I'm me?"

"Hey, don't jerk me around fella"

Reply #554359 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wish I knew! Had a call two years ago to see if I was willing to have one. I said yes but never heard from them again. My household probably would have doubled the weekend's ratings!

Reply #554360 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Here are the facts.

* One week in
* On an obscure channel few watch
* First season back on Fox
* A league which is still fighting for respect
* Each game (other than Townsville) had decent crowds - further cutting into Foxtel viewership.

Are you really surprised that ratings haven't been that great?

I would say 28 K on GO when up against Bathurst and there being NO promotion is actually encouraging.

Reply #554361 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Go! number is fantastic, yes. But the Fox numbers after the first game have been low, which is a concern given the first game rating so high.

If the trend was up, or if it was just low overall, you could say people just aren't aware yet and it'll build. But that's not what's happening.

Reply #554365 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There is no trend yet. Let's wait and see.

Reply #554373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide v NZ 18,000
Adelaide v Perth 3663

Where were all the Perth viewers?

10k of that 18k came from Melbourne.

Very perplexing

Reply #554379 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There is no trend yet. Let's wait and see.
Either there's a downward trend or the first game is a massive outlier. Either way, the "people don't know it exists" argument doesn't hold much water, and it's not a good sign.

Reply #554380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Either there's a downward trend or the first game is a massive outlier. Either way, the "people don't know it exists" argument doesn't hold much water, and it's not a good sign."

CORRECT

Reply #554381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from the diehards do you blame viewers for not watching? I don't. NBL is a very hard product to watch currently.

Reply #554384 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As I've said earlier, the ratings at the moment are purely showing people who tick all three necessary boxes:

1 an existing interest in the NBL
2 a Foxtel subsription
3 a ratings box

We all know that number is low. The max was probably the maybe 10-12 viewers with boxes it took to produce the 18K figure on Weds (my maths, apologies if wrong).

The test comes when you move to the 501-505 channels and expose it to a wider audience.

At the moment that will be a struggle as interest in the NBL is small, hence why the production needs to be slick, constantly showcasing highlights and personalities to draw in new viewers.

Reply #554385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if the presentation is slick the on court product is horrible. LK Group need to sort out the refs who officate as if basketball is indoor rugby!

Reply #554386 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Either way, the "people don't know it exists" argument doesn't hold much water, and it's not a good sign."

My post above addresses this. It's not like masses were watching on Weds, more like a dozen people with boxes if my maths is correct, probably dropping down to 0-4 for subsequent games. Someone may know specifics of numbers.

Reply #554387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The test comes when you move to the 501-505 channels and expose it to a wider audience."

It's currently being exposed to a wider audience on a channel in the basic package. It's probably the reason they decided to do it.

Reply #554388 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, Fox Sports News is one of the lowest rating channels, sometimes rating a zero. The ratings on 501-505 are much higher, hence why that will be the test.

It has started on this channel because the deal was done late and the spots on the main channels booked up.

Reply #554389 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I would like someone to find the numbers for Fox after the A league was immediately taken over and run correctly. I am sure it took a season or two to gather momentum.

Reply #554390 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just re Fox Sports News ratings, if you look at the weekly reports they have a consistent primetime audience share of 0.1, which means 0.05 to 0.14.

The other Fox Sports channels are consistently between 0.2 and 0.6, but go as high as 1.0. In terms of actual people, A-League broadcasts can get over 100,000, but are usually in the 30-60K range.

So the main Fox Sports channels have from 2-10 times the viewer numbers of Fox Sports News. That's why it's best to wait until the NBL heads onto 501-505 before drawing any conclusions.

Reply #554398 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But that's because there's nothing interesting on. It's not an inherent problem of Fox News. And the rating for the first game demonstrates that people know it's on.

Reply #554400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's why it's best to wait until the NBL heads onto 501-505 before drawing any conclusions."

There will be another set of excuses by that point. The reality is FSN is in the basic package thus available to ALL Foxtel subscribers, the Fox Sports channels are only available to people with the sports package.

Reply #554404 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not saying that low ratings aren't a concern, but I do agree that we should wait for the season to settle in, and to get to the proper sports channels before hitting the panic button.
I know when I'm just doing some channel surfing for sport, I press 501 and then head upward from there.

Reply #554409 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There'll be no point with excuses, just realities, if it rates poorly it will drive up costs for the NBL and probably drive down revenue from sponsorship.

"And the rating for the first game demonstrates that people know it's on."

Koberulz, the first game was probably watched by 10-12 people with ratings boxes, there is nothing to suggest a lot of people know it's on.

Reply #554410 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You take a supporter base that's relatively small.
You put it on a subscription television station so that it further condenses the field.
Then you put it on a News station (not a station that you would generally think would show actual games), so that even if someone was inclined to watch it, they likely wouldn't think to look on that station to see if it was on.
I don't know what the advertising for the games were, but you'd have to assume they weren't great.
Those numbers are clearly appalling, but you have to look at the reasons for those numbers.
It was given a set of circumstances that were just completely unlikely to have a positive result.

Reply #554415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just not an exciting enough product at the moment.. now if we had 2 James Ennises on each team, that might change.

Reply #554419 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The Melbourne game was also on during a fairly critical period in the Bathurst race. I'm a massive NBL fan and I was finding it difficult to tune away from Bathurst to watch it.

Reply #554421 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on Hendo. Now we should all cross our fingers and hope things improve in a few weeks when it goes onto the channels which sports fans actually watch, because if it doesn't improve by the end of the season we may be back to the 2-3 games per week we're used to next year.

Reply #554424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

V8 bogancars

Reply #554425 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

On the whole, the foxtel coverage deal is good.
I don't have foxtel, and I'm not about to subscribe for what it would cost just to watch AWAY games, but that's my choice.
At least somebody who does is guaranteed EVERY GAME LIVE which is awesome.

Reply #554467 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Someone up there said it is not exciting enough a product. It pains me to say, that so far, it hasn't been.

I love the league; I love the game. But most of the games this round I have had to labour through to watch til the end. I think the refereeing needs to be changed to allow a more free-flowing game. I also think that what we think to be a 'wealth of talent' doesn't weigh up to be as great as we think in the scheme of things.

Out of the Aussies in the Melbourne U and Illarawarra game, who is exciting? Goulding? Yes. Blanchfield? Maybe. Outside of that, there is skill but there is not exciting.

The NBL is a league filled with role players. There are a few imports and a handful of aussies who are better than that, but most NBL players (90 percent I dare say), are solid, but unspectacular.

Reply #554485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe in the Wednesday there are more people flicking around to the news channel because there's no live sport on. This is what LK was targeting with his clever scheduling

Reply #554514 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

While this topic is, as some have said, way too early considering lots of things, Paul's comments on Fox News vs 501-503 are spot on IMO.

It will be really interesting, considering what the previous poster said about clever scheduling, to see what happens when the NBL is head to head with Big Bash.

Reply #554515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, you know as well as I do it will be another round of excuses. What were the excuses again when it was on Ten? Poor production? Not enough highlights? Not exciting enough commentary? Not enough advertising?

Reply #554525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not forget that the games were live and free on the NBL Live App and also Apple TV (and any other platforms that offer FSN for free or at a cheap rate). Were the ratings across these platforms included?

Reply #554528 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

"Maybe in the Wednesday there are more people flicking around to the news channel because there's no live sport on. This is what LK was targeting with his clever scheduling"

This is exactly what the previous head of the NBL (name escapes me now, sorry) was saying with his idea of games during the week. I know that he also wanted to play those games in smaller venues, but that also could've worked.

Of course there were a LOT of NBL fans freaking out about that idea. I thought it would've been worth a try. This league needs to think outside of normal Australian sport traditions, because it can't compete head to head it seems.

On the standard of the league, I watched the 2nd half of the MEL v ILL game, and to be truthful, I was pretty bored even though the game was close-ish. I was basically sticking with it purely to see Warrick play (that was barely worth it either).

I'm not pessimistic about the future of the league, but I don't think it will ever be a BIG sport again down here. I think aiming for an "alternative" sport (for want of a better word) is what they should be gunning for. If that means games on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs to get rid of viewing competition, and boutique venues occasionally, then so be it.

On ratings boxes, we had them in our house when I was younger. One with every TV in the house. They were very annoying, and after a few months, easily forgotten about. Not sure if the tech has changed since then, but I often forgot to input the fact that I was in the room watching whatever I was watching.

Reply #554531 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/keep-calm-ratings-arent-what-you-think/

Boti's take on the so called ratings.

Reply #554633 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The sentiment is spot on, but in terms of how ratings are collected its not quite correct. The ratings we see for Fox come from the same OzTAM monitoring system as the FTA ratings.

This page explains the basics: http://www.oztam.com.au/OzTAMServices.aspx

FTA ratings come from 3500 households divided between the capital cities and Pay TV ratings come from 1413 homes nationally.

Reply #554658 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't think I can ever take ratingss serious after knowing how small the sample rate is. Honestly how the hell can 3500 homes give an accurate indication of what 20million people are watching on TV.

Reply #554659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When has the NBL ever had ratings...

Reply #554720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Honestly how the hell can 3500 homes give an accurate indication of what 20million people are watching on TV."

It's not meant to give an accurate indication. It's meant to inflate the number of viewers to entice businesses advertising during a 'popular' broadcast and they would prefer to keep it that way for obvious reasons.

Reply #555085 | Report this post

jacks  
Years ago

suckd in basketball in aus is crap..even football beats it and you stupid skips media always bag football..face it aus is shite at everysport alive and hell even afl would class in that category...overweight fatasses from NBA that are 40 yr old arnt guna bring viewers,..i hope foxtel makes a massive loss on nbl its more pathetic than cricket crap but yet australia media will force us to listen and watch that garb 24/7 like they do with AFL aus f@ggot league

Reply #563073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try that in english please Jacks.

Reply #563075 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

LOL! This is what happens when some dude gets his sister pregnant.

Reply #563079 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I will try to decipher what I believe our poster Jacks is trying to say, here goes:

'You have all been hoodwinked into believing basketball is rated more highly in Australia that football, yet the foolish Australian basketball media always seems to criticise football.'

'I am flabbergasted at how poorly Australia plays sport, even the AFL is a poorly played sport on the world stage in my opinion.'

'Why is it that retired NBA players are seen as the answer to viewer ratings in the NBL, I am not unsure this is the answer, however I am totally unqualified to suggest an alternative?'

'It is obvious that the Australian media loves its cricket, however I don't like it and in fact I don’t like any Australian content on the TV, especially Foxtel because I cannot afford it due to the overbearing cost of cigarettes and beer!'

'I have a headache because I watch too much sport, oh and by the way the AFL is really my secret happy place.'

Regards to everyone, love Jacks

Reply #563110 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...than football...

bugger!

Reply #563111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Us skips", that so funny coming from a person that lives in Australia who obviously doesn't want to live here. If you don't like it go back to your cabbage eating, tent in the desert. Add rice too.

Reply #563134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:35 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754