Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers: Motum/Jawai/Ogilvy? Newley or Goulding?

Assuming Lemanis chooses Bogut, Baynes, Andersen and Bairstow for the Rio Olympic Games, who would you choose as your 5th big? Personally I would pick Motum.

If you had a choice between Brad Newley and Chris Goulding, who would you take? Personally I would take Goulding.

So for Rio, my team would be:

Dellavedova
Mills
Bogut
Baynes
Ingles

Gibson (Assuming Exum won't be available)
Broekhoff
Andersen
Bairstow
Simmons

Motum
Goulding

Topic #38170 | Report this topic

Player  
Years ago

Jawai because that 10 minutes he gives you he is unstoppable..

Reply #554203 | Report this post

With Delly and Mills in the team, I wouldn't select Gibson.

Goulding is a must.

My 10 would be:

1 - Delly
2 - Mills
3 - Ingles
4 - Baynes
5 - Bogut

Bench:
Goulding
Broekhoff
Simmons
Bairstow
Andersen

If taking 12 would add:
Jawaii
Blanchfield

Reply #554206 | Report this post

I'd be looking at Blanchfield over Goulding. More all-rounded game.

Reply #554207 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't know how NBL Gibson gets selected, but when he does, Boomers Gibson is a fairly solid player.
But he's not an impact guy, so the ideal team wouldn't have him in it IMO.

I like Goulding but I don't see him as a "must" just yet. If he can reduce the streakiness then yeah, very nice weapon to have in the arsenal. But I'm not yet convinced.
Blanchfield, sort of in the same boat for me. Has always had enormous potential. If he can be consistent with it then he's a guy I'd love to have in there. Very complete player.

Reply #554210 | Report this post

Kris G  
Years ago

lol Big Nate, love his quick stick dunks.. making it look easy.

Reply #554215 | Report this post

Oregon Al  
Years ago

What about Khazzouh. I don't believe he played any matches for Lebanon thus he would be eligible for the Boomers. Edge over Jawai and Oglivy probably. We'll see how they compare this season. Motum more of an outside threat if that's what you want.

Reply #554227 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

If Blanchfield can produce at training camp, he should have a spot. I personally think he now has the quick release jumper that goulding has, but with better size, defence and rebounding.

He might not shoot quite as high a percentage from three as Broekoff, but is similar as a rebounder and defender, but more athletic and with better ability to take it to the rack.

Reply #554229 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Dont need Gibson in the team, Mills Delly and Simmons are point guards. Goulding can handle rock if needed. I think 4 big men is plenty, especially considering most teams are going smaller. Id definetly add Blanchfield, Need the 3point shooting

www.wildcatsviews.com

Reply #554230 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Motum would bring more versatility and an inside-outside component that we only have in Anderson (the others are somewhat flat footed). But having said that, it would be a hard job keeping Jawai out of the team if he is fit. A tough decision which I wouldn't want to be the one to make.

As for Newley vs Goulding, Goulding brings far more offence, and Newley more defence. If Goulding can bring his D up a level, then it is his position.

Also, yes, Blanchfield is in the conversation. But can he create his own shot as well as Goulding? The Boomers need guys who can take, and make the big shots. Mills is that guy, and second could be Goulding.

Reply #554232 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Is Exum going to be available? If not I would go:

Starting:
Delly
Mills
Ingles
Baynes
Bogut

Rotation:
Broekhoff
Simmons
Bairstow
Andersen

Bench:
Jawai
Blanchfield/Newley
Gibson/Goulding

I dont really rate Goulding as a role player so I would be tempted to take Gibbo

Reply #554236 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

In the international game, I cannot see running with Baynes and Bogut together on court working. Most teams now have legit stretch fours and both would struggle. Andersen, Motum or Bairstow would all be better guys to play alongside Bogut and Baynes. Simmons could well still be an x-factor.

This analysis piece looks at the power forward evolution and the potential impact on the Boomers.

The power forward evolution: How will the Europe scene affect our Boomers?

Reply #554238 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I would take Motum over Bairstow he suits the international game far more and Jawai in his best condition should be in the team

Reply #554239 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Personally, I think Goulding is a must. He looks like he's really improved at attacking the basket, which is really the one area that only Newley has provided us in the past. Blanchfield is a solid player, but really gives us the same sort of skillset that we get from Broekhoff already.

We have defenders and spot up shooters, need someone who can create points from the wing.

Reply #554241 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Totally agree, Baynes and Bogut wont work together. I'm hoping Simmons will be strong enough by then to use as a playmaking/small ball power forward.

Also Blanchfield doesnt need to create for himself, Delly Mills, Simmons will do the playmaking. 3pt shooting is a must

Reply #554285 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The big question is whether Simmons will be ready to contribute or there as a project ala Exum in 2014. Hopefully he's ready, and can fill a mobile PF role off the bench, meaning we only need to take four other bigs, allowing more athletic wing types who fit Lemanis' defensive style.

Bogut/Baynes or Jawai
Andersen/Motum/Simmons
Broekhoff/Newley
Ingles/Goulding
Mills/Dellavedova/Gibson

I think Lemanis has made a mistake not incorporating Blanchfield into this team, as I wouldn't mind having him in there instead of the third PG (despite the obvious injury risk) but I don't see that happening.

Reply #554288 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

The thing is Simmons is a point guard in a power forwards body, so we dont need Gibson. That spot can be used elsewhere - hopefully Blanchfield

www.wildcatsviews.com

Reply #554289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

www.stopspammingyourwebsiteineverypost.com

Reply #554291 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In time hopefully he'll be able to be that point forward against the world's best teams, but I don't think that will be next year. The player who'd allow you to go with only two PGs is Joe Ingles, who can run the show from the 2-3 spots. Question is, if one of the PGs gets injured do you lose too much of Joe's other contributions playing him from the 1?

Reply #554292 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think playing the 1 highlight's Ingles' strengths TBH.

Reply #554317 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Does it, or does giving him the ball to create while being defended by a SF?

Reply #554318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Simmons indicated that he will play?

(I know that he was extremely pissed off that he wasn't selected for the 2014 World's)

Reply #554344 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Simmons is already better a better point forward than Ingles, the kid is awesome. Got a long way to go with his shot though.
Are we really rating Gibson as an Olympic player?

Reply #554351 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Simmons was at that level yet, but it's unlikely his basketball IQ will be that developed with so little experience, more likely he will be come the 2019 WC and 2020 Olympics.

Reply #554354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly 1-2
Gibson 1-2
Mills 2-1
Goulding 2
Broekhoff 2-3
Ingles 3-2
Simmons 3-4
Motum 4
Anderson 4-5
Baynes 5-4
Ogilvy 5
Bogut 5

Delly/Gibson
Mills/broekhoff/Goulding
Ingles/simmons
Anderson/motum
Bogut/baynes/Ogilvy

Jawai, newley, bairstow, blanchfield to miss out.

Reply #554402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Non of those players you mentioned shoukd be chosen, instead pick Thon Maker.

Reply #554455 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

People keep talking about "who's gonna be the 5th big?"

Why do we need to carry 5 lumbering bigs? What is this 1993?

Carry those 5 bigs and you'll struggle to finish in the top 8.

I feel like Lemanis is just so far out of touch with how the game is played at an elite level in 2015 that we have no chance. He doesn't know how to select, and then he is out of his depth come game time.

Reply #554536 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't think you need to worry about losing a PG or small guard Paul.

Neither of Mills or Delly are natural playmakers (Delly has the head for it sometimes but struggles to see the entire floor and can get passing tunnel vision, and is not great in a hand-eye coordination sense) so I'd be more worried about losing Ingles or Bogut (or to a lesser extent Jawai: an excellent passer but won't be on the floor much).

Also I'm out on Goulding as a Boomer. I wanted him in for his fire and cockiness (two things the Boomers really lack of late) but he's a streaky scorer who doesn't look comfortable at that level. He needs volume in terms of ballhandling and shots to be effective, and he's not going to get that many touches in international ball. I'd rather have a guy like Blanchfield who is a better shooter, better rebounder, better defender, more athletic and doesn't need lots of ball to get going. Blanchfield can get you 16 points and only touch the ball a handful of times all game, and he is getting better every day as a finisher. We need more guys who can stand in the corner and knock down shots.

Blanchfield will play his way into the Boomers this year, he's already the best player at Melbourne.

This is my ten, it is in line with how modern basketball is played, it has multiple guys who are world class athletes and who can play multiple positions. Motum, Anderson and Bairstow are out. They give you nothing. Neither guy can defend the four spot because they're too slow, and they're not good enough shooters or finishers to give you a plus on the other end. Anderson is the best offensive player of the three but I don't want to have a shot-happy big who shoots long twos at an average clip as his go-top weapon.

Delly
Mills
Broekhoff, Ingles, Newley, Blanchfield
Baynes, Simmons
Bogut, Jawai

Whoever is 11 and 12 is irrelevant because you can't win one of these tournaments going 12 deep unless you are the USA. So name whoever but that's our rotation.

This team would blow the team Lemanis is going to pick off the floor. Just the same way that every Euro team who can go big or small is going to blow us off the floor in Rio when we carry half a roster of 7 footers who can't shoot or run.

Reply #554543 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754