Anonymous
Years ago

New NBL Commission

The National Basketball League (NBL) has announced the formation of the NBL Commission, an eight-person panel chaired by leading sports administrator and former FIBA president, Bob Elphinston.

The NBL Commission will be responsible for the oversight of changes to the rules and regulations governing the NBL competition, and the initial focus of the Commission will be a comprehensive review of the rules and regulations.

The inaugural Commissioners are: Bob Elphinston (Independent Chairman), Graeme Allen (Independent Deputy Chairman), Bret Mactavish (NBL Representative), Patrick Hunt (Independent Representative), Vince Crivelli (Club Representative), Mark Beecroft (Club Representative), and Jacob Holmes (Players Representative). The eighth panel member will be an additional independent representative who will be appointed shortly.

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/nbl-announces-new-commission/

Topic #38171 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

good news

Reply #554357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand. What will be their job exactly?

Reply #554362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting the reffing back up to par hopefully

Reply #554363 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

Nice, this is where they will eventually:

- Work even closer with teams to ensure viability year in year out

- Create exceptions to help previous years bottom 2 teams for parity and team sustainability.

- Bring back 12 min quarters

- Create more formal links with grassroots e.g Auskick

Any other ideas?

Reply #554364 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

12-minute quarters will never, ever, ever happen.

Automatically helping out the bottom two teams is unnecessary. If 7th misses the playoffs by two games, and then you give them an extra import, or a salary cap exemption...

Reply #554366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12mins will never ever ever happen even though they did in the not so distant past. Yeah okay

Reply #554369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin Bieber: "Never say Never" ever... lol

I agree kobe, though something needs to be done to help perenially sucky teams that local fans wont wan't to support any more..

Reply #554371 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

So what's the difference between a commission and a board?

Reply #554374 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There's only one of them.

Reply #554375 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My response was re "perenially sucky teams".

Reply #554376 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

12mins will never ever ever happen even though they did in the not so distant past. Yeah okay
They changed to 12-minute quarters in 1984. I'd call that distant.

Yes, they stuck with it until 2009, but changing it needs more of an argument than sticking with what you're doing. And since TV prefers 10 minutes, 10 minutes it shall remain.

I agree kobe, though something needs to be done to help perenially sucky teams that local fans wont wan't to support any more..
Like who? Townsville? They were doing pretty well, on-court, until Blanchfield left. They had a good strong core of young players that would've developed into a contender. Their issues with attendance aren't really to do with the team they're putting on the floor, and at this point frankly I'm with everyone who says the league should just kick them out. The crowd the other night was an embarrassment.

But if you throw out a blanket rule that the bottom two teams get some sort of assistance, imagine how good Illawarra would be this season.

Reply #554377 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's only one of them.
United are the only team not to make a playoff appearance in the past four years, and that's only because this is their second season. I wouldn't say there are any. Some do better than others, but none are consistently terrible.

Reply #554378 | Report this post

JayB  
Years ago

Let's just hope this new board starts organising expansion properly with new rules / criteria to ensure long term viability..

Reply #554382 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

why wont 12 minutes work? Most of the telecast this year so far have been finishing around the 100 minute mark. Possibly with a reduction in time outs, they could squeeze in an extra 8 mins??

Say allocate 20 minutes per quarter 1st/2nd/3rd = 60 minutes

4th quarter 30 minutes = 90

Half time 10 minutes = 100

Quarter/3 Quarter time 3 minutes each = 106

This allows for around 15 minutes for intro/outro for the production, and bundles into a nice 2 hour slot.

The Key is to reduce the number of time outs from the 5 currently to 1 per quarter. This would allow a better flow of the game.

Gee, if I had it my way all basketball would be played in halves. Flows way better, and with an extra timeout per team, basically renders quarter time obsolete and unnecessary anyway

Reply #554394 | Report this post

Kris G  
Years ago

The NBA trialled 11 min quarters also don't forget, a good middle ground. Extra 4 better than nothing.

Reply #554397 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Most games the past four years have clocked in at 103-104 minutes of actual broadcast. No way games are finishing at about 100 minutes including commercials.

For the most part, it was closer to 110-115. You can't get an extra eight minutes of basketball in there.

Reply #554405 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What's the problem with quarter? The 1 & 3 quarter time breaks are pretty much just guaranteed TV timeouts anyway. It's not like they are long.
If we want the product to be viable for tv then we need to keep it tv friendly.

I've never understood the big hangup over 10 vs 12 minute quarters either. If 12 is prohibitive to tv then avoid it. It's that simple IMO. If 11 works then go with 11. Just make sure each player then gets 5.5 personal fouls before they are disqualified ;)

Reply #554406 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"United are the only team not to make a playoff appearance in the past four years."

Townsville are 31-55 since their last appearance and looking like again struggling. They are the NBL's version of a recent battler, but I agree by other competition's standards or parity they are doing ok.

Reply #554420 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

LK has done pretty well so far in such little time, I'm sure he's got a bag full of tricks up his sleeve still to come..

Long term financial stability of all teams plus expansion should be main priority, along with promotion of the game.

Reply #554427 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Along with massive popularity and profits

Reply #554428 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

Amen to that.

How about Radio comps to win free family pass tickets now n then?

Or schools running comps like that.

Promotions on cereal boxes..

Or cheap basketball cards that'll kick off the 90's NBA basketball card craze again..

*brainstorm paused*

Reply #554429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince Crivelli on an NBL commission? If it wasn't before the sport is now officially stuffed!

Reply #554430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long term stability of all teams will never happen.
See how many won't be there next season. Crocs first to go. Why they even invested in them is simply beyond me. Except I reckon this season they needed them to secure the TV and then allow Brisbane in next season at the expense of Townsville.

Reply #554436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm happy for Townsville to go if the fan base wont be there.

We already know Brisbane will be rocking..

Reply #554439 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I really don't think it's a good look for a comp to have fewer than 8 teams so it's a good thing the Crocs are still around this season. I think it was worth giving them another shot back in a proper venue too.
They seem doomed if their round one attendance is anything close to the norm though :(

Reply #554448 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

12 minute quarters make no sense if the games aren't exciting. Fix the game first, then look at making it longer. 4 of the 6 games in round one were finished by half time as it was.

Reply #554486 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The Commission should focus on getting rid of the ugly uniform, immediately and eradicate it from our beautiful game once and for all time...

Reply #554491 | Report this post

Straight Up  
Years ago

Stars with character, thats what the league needs.. Ennis and Childress were/are prime examples..

The NBA wasn't much until it had guys like Magic, Bird and Jordan to market / promote.

They realised the best way to get bums on the seats were to promote these guys big time, something the NBL did well in the 90's with Gaze, Rucker, Crawford, Grace, etc

Only difference is NBL is lacking top quality Aussie talent across the teams at the moment.. what happened to all the AIS guy that used to come through the ranks?

Surely there'd be enough that don't make it to one of the other world leagues after college, etc.

Reply #554550 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

With Ennis, Childress, Wilbekin, Warrick, etc in recent years, lets hope its the start to an upward trend, but I agree, league and media needs more promotion of these guys..

The downside of some of these guys is that they'll likely be "one and done" season guys, need some way to retain, esp vets like Childress / Warrick.

The other side is also bringing our best Aussies back to the league. Competition with the Europe league will be tough.

Reply #554553 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why is widening the court / 3 pt line never discussed?

It's the easiest, most sure-fire way to open up the game to a more up-tempo attacking style. Trying to do that with reffing is way too hard because of the competence gap with having amateur refs police a professional game.

You can see pretty easily the difference it makes. For example: I play in two amateur comps, one at a poorer stadium that doesn't have have FIBA dimension courts and 3 pt line, and another one with the proper FIBA dimensions. The one with the larger dimensions is a much higher quality league yet with better defenses, yet despite my general incompetence I score a tonne more points in that comp because the defense is stretched.

I think the game has outgrown the current FIBA court lines and we need to shift to NBA dimensions.

Reply #554557 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The main change to court dimensions I'd like to see are widening the key and extending the 3 point line. Also, bring in the NBA style illegal defence rules. That will still allow a limited zone, but will open up the key to create more exciting, open play. Then we won't have Perth turning the key into a mosh-pit every game, which just makes for ugly basketball.

Reply #554566 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I agree with Mick. I still can't believe how often players step out on the wings. If the court was just a little wider there'd be no problems.

Reply #554600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm on the new commission to bring the lulz and report back on what the keyboard warrior fans are whinging about.

Reply #554717 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There is hot debate in the NBA right now about widening the court and then moving the sides of the 3 pt line out. The only thing that has prevented it from happening at the moment is the inevitable loss of courtside revenue.

And our court and line are already waaay short of theirs.

Albeit, the shooters in the NBA are much better than ours and coaches smarter defensively but we need to at least get to where they are currently in terms of dimensions.

Reply #554731 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good call on the court widening thing.
I'm definitely on board with that, and agree that it would instantly improve the product on the court. Would love an extra metre each side.

Reply #554765 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Physically widening the court is a huge challenge here. Significant cost factor, either brand new temporary courts required in some venues and in others remarking the existing temporary floor.

I imagine some venues would then have to restructure seating and courtside boxes, a far more dynamic impact on revenue potentially than in the NBA.

Reply #554783 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't see it as a problem in the NBL. There is plenty of room around the courts in this country isn't there? AFAIK no extension to the timber flooring would be required, or am i wrong?

I wouldn't imagine repainting a few lines would be particularly costly.

To me it's a no brainer. A surefire way to really open up the game and requires no ongoing management or tinkering like rule changes do. You have shooters stationed in those extended wings and the attacking lanes and post open right up.

Reply #554826 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's not that much room:

Reply #554829 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

So easy to step out of bounds near the corner 3's..

Reply #554832 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It doesn't happen that often. And when it does, it's generally places like Perth or Vector with no out-of-bounds decals/paint, or Hisense where there's six inches between the sideline and the out-of-bounds decals/paint.

So there's an easier solution to the problem, that would also make the courts look more professional and individual.

Reply #554834 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"And our court and line are already waaay short of ours."

The NBA court is 24cm wider than the FIBA court and the corner three is 10cm wider in the NBA.

Reply #554836 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't see the stepping out of bounds thing as the problem that would be solved by widening the court. That's just a potential bonus side effect.
I think it would make defence more difficult, and therefore increase both perimeter and paint scoring.

Reply #554838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Widen the court and under pressure they will still occassionaly step out of court.

Reply #554839 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

why wont 12 minutes work? Most of the telecast this year so far have been finishing around the 100 minute mark.
Tonight took 121-122.

48-minute games don't fit in two hours.

Reply #554999 | Report this post

J-Man  
Years ago

44 minutes might fit.. ;)

Reply #555022 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If there is one thing that this commission needs NOT to mess with it is the court, its lines and its dimensions!

Leave the game alone, it is fine, concentrate of the NBL and its future viability, how teams can stay legitimately financial and improve the development pathways in Australian basketball.

This is where a Commission is needed, not worrying about changing lines and courts to suit some fanciful idea that whenever we see athletes become better we need to make it harder for them, seriously...

#Kneejerkreactions

Reply #555049 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Hey Mick, sorry, my comment was aimed at Luuuc, who wants an extra "metre" each side. Almost every court and every venue would ave to be remodeled for that!

Reply #555050 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Mick, that theory in widening the shooting lanes by extending the arc to open up the game is possibly flawed because of two basic principles.

1. Defenders can hedge and they will do this even more if they know the shooter is less likely to hit the long range open shot.

2. Widening the arc will make it harder for shooters to hit an open shot, therefore they will become less relevant.

What might happen is the game ends up less entertaining because all we see is long range bombs that miss and the other team rebounds it or everyone wants to drive it through the bigger gaps but defenders focus more in closing them so the ball gets kicked out for that longer range open miss, again!

This would be much worse the lower down the grades we go, remember we share courts at almost all venues.

Or are you suggesting only the NBL does this and we change courts just for the NBL, therefore try and change the game for TV or something?

Last night's game proved to me that there is nothing wrong at all with our courts, we just need to accept that some games are better than others...

If the court isn't broken, why do we need to fix it.

Reply #555056 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My "metre each side" wish is just in an ideal world, from a playing perspective.
I realise that there are practicalities to be considered before just pulling the trigger on such a change.

I don't necessarily think that the arc needs to be extended btw. To me that is a separate issue. It has only recently been increased, and I think it is pretty good where it is atm.

Reply #555065 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Widen the court and under pressure they will still occassionaly step out of court.
Sure, but in recent years since the court markings were changed, there seem to be more frustrating breaks in play because someone who's played for years in one measured space has barely infringed in a newly defined space.

Given the space restrictions in venues, I doubt there's much that can be done though.

Reply #555083 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Or are you suggesting only the NBL does this and we change courts just for the NBL, therefore try and change the game for TV or something?
That's all an NBL commission would have the authority to do.

Reply #555084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754