Sixers Fan
Years ago

Illawarra looking for Import?

I heard that James Spencely was a bit flustered after the Hawks slow start in round 1 that he wants to bring in an import. It's a bit early to make decisions like this but adding talent is never a bad thing. I honestly don't think that Rhys Martin can be the primary ball handler for them if they want to contend though.

Topic #38183 | Report this topic

I hope he alienates his coach and fans at the same time!

Reply #554690 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

DUNIGAN

Reply #554691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Jahii Carson!!!

Reply #554692 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Dunigan did just get cut in us right?

Reply #554695 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Illawara actually have 10 points left for an import?

Does Rhys Martin still get a discount for loyalty, because he left the club, I would trust the discounts do not apply to Martin.

Reply #554697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demos is worth zero so it's like getting a free player

Reply #554698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good things happen when Spencely gets involved in personnel decisions.

LOL

Reply #554702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Spencely know anything about basketball? Martin and Lisch injured and two road games to kick off your season. Chillax bro.

Reply #554704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot to add: WTF @ only having one import, it's not like you had a good base last year that you can only use one slot. lmao

Reply #554705 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Drop White and Demos and get someone worth while.

Reply #554710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spencely thought Penney was an import

Reply #554712 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Clarke!

Reply #554727 | Report this post

CarsonMVP  
Years ago

I heard that James Spencely was a bit flustered after the Hawks slow start in round 1 that he wants to bring in an import.

Let me get my popcorn. I look forward to Spencely's import selection.

Reply #554728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks were without starting backcourt ffs

Reply #554730 | Report this post

Kings Boy  
Years ago

I know who he actually that is not his name his name is Issac Turner he is living with my friend-brother

Reply #554733 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rhys Martin would never be able to lead them to Game 3 of a grand final series as the starting point guard. Oh wait...

It's amazing how little respect some fans give Rhys but players and coaches know he's close to the best director of offence in the league.

Reply #554734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who? Is he any good? What position does he play?

Reply #554735 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Lol, sorry for some reason I posted as anon but #735 was me

Reply #554736 | Report this post

Kings Boy  
Years ago

he is Issac Turner he is good and plays at the point/shooting guard he works hard 100% he trains with the tean

Reply #554737 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is that the guy from St Vincent NCAA3? Finished two seasons ago and averaged 22p and 3a?

Reply #554740 | Report this post

Kings Boy  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #554741 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Lisch reportedly out for at least the next two games and Rhys for maybe 3-4 more it's probably not a bad move. I wonder how quick they can have him cleared. Do they know anyone at league HQ?

Reply #554743 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

[ inserts Thriller Jacko eating pocorn in movies image ]

This will be good if it's true, but I can't imagine that after what happened last season, Bevo would have not had something like a "Spenceley can't muck around with my damn players!" clause in his contract? It's not like he was the desperate one in the deal?

Reply #554744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh greenwood might be ideal for a one month contract. Some extra cash for him before the afl pre season starts

Reply #554747 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Wouldn't be a bad idea as an injury replacement considering Martin and Lisch are out but Spenceley shouldn't be panicking at 0 - 2 considering their injuries

Reply #554748 | Report this post

Triton20  
Years ago

Slow start? What did he expect? The rest of the league is stacked. These results are exactly as expected.

Reply #554750 | Report this post

Triton20  
Years ago

And the starting backcourt is out injured.

Reply #554752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Luke Nevill or Jahii Carson available?

Reply #554754 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

For what it's worth, according to the NBL, Martin is still able to get the player loyalty discount as he didn't actually sign anywhere else once he left the Hawks...

Reply #554756 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson gets it for Adelaide doesn't he, because he has played for them every season for five and didn't play anywhere else in the NBL, even though he played overseas for half a season?

Reply #554757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James Spencely currently looking over this mix tape with intrigue. GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT JAMES!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtAMiB8pniY

Reply #554758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this is correct, hopefully Spenecely reads this forum and sees what "basketball people" think.

Hawks had no Rhys Martin or Kevin Lisch.
One who is the most underrated by fans point guard in the league, the other a league mvp.

They took it to two of the best teams in the league with no starting guards, with a 0 point player playing significant minutes.

The results will come if injuries aren't serious.

If either of them is out long term, then yes they probably should look at another import, but who do you cut once the injuries are healed? There will be club ending backlash if its seen as another knee jerk reaction.

Reply #554759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Spencely still even involved? Last person I would have again after last years debacle.
BTW the top teams weren't that good IMO.

Reply #554763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would be silly unless any injuries are long term. On the road, against two teams considered finals material with two of their most key players out.

Reply #554764 | Report this post

"Why is Spencely still even involved? Last person I would have again after last years debacle."

Because he is the owner. It was a debacle last year but who is going to tell him he can't do what he wants with his team?

Reply #554766 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

If you have the money why not add an import? Another wing that can play a little small ball 4 would be nice - Cover for the two old dudes, Forman and Penney. Plus I like Lisch running the point. Lisch, Penney, Import, Forman, Ogilvy, Coenraad playing big minutes off bench - sounds nice to me.

Reply #554769 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

They played good basketball across both games.

3 of their first 4 games are away. They could well be 0-4, but the question is how long will Lisch and Martin be out?

Reply #554772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"With Lisch reportedly out for at least the next two games and Rhys for maybe 3-4 more it's probably not a bad move. I wonder how quick they can have him cleared. Do they know anyone at league HQ?"

He's been in Australia for quite a while if that helps. Played for Sutherland in Waratah League last year. He's very quick and a scorer but will struggle big time defending anyone in the NBL in my opinion

Reply #554799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should ask josh childress for a player

Reply #554809 | Report this post

Kings Boy  
Years ago

I am seeing Issac Turner tonight

any questions?

Reply #555095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Spencely runs the club into the ground apparently owing money around town (and broke) and the NBL has bail them out and he's still in charge?

Reply #555105 | Report this post

Kings Boy, I would ask him what his plans are apart from Illawarra.
Maybe they will, but I would very much doubt that they would pick up a 6'2" import out of the Waratah league.
Especially when you consider the MVP of SEABL got cut from Adelaide.
Bevo is very loyal to his players and I you think that he would probably bring in one of his past players if they were looking at anyone.
Also considering how they dismantled the Breakers without Lisch I think they are ok.
If I was Bevo I would be looking at possibly another inside target to give AJ a break.
Possibly Ray Turner who had a monster year in the WA SBL.

Reply #555109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will be ok....no need for a short term import fix. Either do it right for the season or not at all. It would ruin flow to much chopping and changing

Reply #555112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754