David Sternum
Years ago

NBL All Star Game

Not happening this year I'd imagine given the schedule. But brought back for 2016/17?

Topic #38199 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been to one before and to be honest I don't think they're worth bothering with. The NBA ASG's are boring enough and aside as there are only 80 players in our league meaning 1 out of every 4 players is an all-star which is just wrong they just lack atmosphere and no one cares who wins.

Reply #555115 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I guess it worked when the quality of players across the board in the early 90's was stacked. They were fun games.

Let's hope that happens again in a couple of years or a bit more.

Reply #555116 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I went to one in Adelaide a few years back. I thought it was pretty good. Flynn and Jackson put on a good show. I thought it was a pretty decent day out. having the 3 pt comp dunk comp and allstar game within a 4 hour window was pretty entertaining.

But anon was correct, including the dunk comp and 3 pt comp and injured players it felt like almost every player in the league was there.

Reply #555120 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

If it happens it would need to be in Perth.

Like the blitz the All Star game is usually held in a market where they want to create a buzz about bball.

Now with the Foxtel deal, they need to have it where a crowd will show up and it'll look good on TV.

Reply #555122 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I am not really sure they could fill up the Perth Arena for an All Star game unless the Wildcats members get very heavily discounted tickets.

Reply #555125 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

To be honest, I dont think its needed in the NBL. If they want to do something like that incorporate something like it into the Blitz.

Reply #555128 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Maybe not until they have at least 10-12 teams, but the whole reason for All Star games are to see the best players at that point of the season, not at the start.

3 point contest should have the ten best % shooters, and also include a skills comp..

Reply #555129 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Lets put the NBL All Star game to rest, shall we? Most NBA fans don't (really) care about the NBA All Star game. They care about players getting recognition, but few watch the game too closely. Lets just throw the All Star game out because they aren't that competitive, and they aren't that good.

Reply #555130 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

*tucks NBL All Star Game into bed, kisses goodnight*

"See you in a few years"

Done.

Reply #555131 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wouldn't bother, the NBA one doesnt do anything for me personally these days, the NBL one would be awkward.

Reply #555202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL ASG suck. Since it was resurrected it has been a total failure each time. The one good moment was from the Melbourne one when Anstey entered the three point shootout, predictably failing abysmally and a home Tigers crowd laughing at him for it. hahahaha

Reply #555265 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

An NBL All Stars team V an NBA team on a pre-season trip. That'd work.

Or does anyone tour like Magic Johnson did with a bunch of old-timers anymore?

Reply #555650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah can the idea of an ASG until we have a bigger competition with more stars

Reply #555678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Cannons played Magic Johnson with Michigan State once. Need more of that.

Reply #555775 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

From what I saw the slam dunk competition at the Blitz failed to set the world on fire. Can't even remember if there was a 3 point contest? An All-star game would be similarly uneventful imo.

Get the basic stuff right before we try to add on fancy extras.

Reply #555971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754