Quiet one
Years ago

Big V takes on Blitz

Wednesday, 3 August 2005 @ 11:57 AM
sportal.com.au

The best of the Big V League will get the chance to showcase their skills against the NBL teams in the 2005 Philips Championship Pre-Season Blitz tournament in Cairns.

The Blitz, the official pre-season tournament of the Philips Championship, will be held in Cairns on August 26 and 27 and will feature all eleven NBL teams plus the Big V outfit.

"We're delighted to give the best of the Big V a chance to showcase their talents against our own NBL teams," NBL Commissioner Rick Burton. "Last season we invited the local ABA side, the national champion Cairns Marlins, to participate in the Blitz but this year the Big V were proactive in approaching the NBL to participate and we have duly approved them as the twelfth team in the tournament."

'The inclusion of a Big V all-star side will help ensure that the fans in Cairns get to see some truly amazing basketball on the eve of the new season and also continues our initiative aimed at fostering basketball at the grass roots level."

Big V Chairman Darryl Neal said that it was an honour to be allowed to compete at the Blitz.

"Being allowed to compete against all 11 NBL teams at the official NBL pre-season event is a tremendous compliment to both the ABA and the Big V," said Neal. It says a great deal about the fantastic standard of play in the ABA and we jumped at the opportunity to be involved."

Topic #3820 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go BIG V!!

Reply #46099 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

pardon my ignorance but what is the big V?

Reply #46343 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One of the ABA leagues around the country. Not sure of them all, but there's the Waratah league, QABL, Central ABL (SA), South East, Big V, etc.

I'd point you to the ABA site for more info, but the last news posted there was in 2002!

Reply #46344 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm pressuming there is a WA one as well?

Reply #46366 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that's Waratah?

Reply #46369 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

There is one in WA... WASBL (WA Skywest Basketball League). Not a bad league, mens probably on par with the Central conference. Girls league would be quite a way behind, I imagine.

http://www.basketballwa.asn.au/ is the site, if anyone is interested.

Waratah is in NSW. Few ex & current NBL'ers playing there including : John Philip, David Barlow, Ben Arkell, Terry Johnson, Stephen Whitehead, Tim Hudson & BJ Carter. I'm not sure if they're sending 1 or two teams to nationals, but Sydney Comets (4th title in a row!) beat Hunter in the GF.

Big V isn't a standout league. SEABL is the strongest comp outside NBL, then Waratah, Big V and Central probably roughly on par? I guess it's a matter of Big V wanting to be involved and getting a team together to compete.

Reply #46385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754