LC
Years ago

The NBL players fans love to hate

Every club has them.

The players that are adored by their loyal followers but seem to draw the ire of opposition fans.

They are descendants in a long line of on-court nuisances in the NBL, taking the baton from their ancestors and assuming the mantle at their club as enemy number one with opposition audiences.

So which current players do the fans love to hate the most at your club?

NBL: Love/hate relationships - the players the fans love to hate

I remember back in the day I loved to hate Morrissey from the Kings, Blakemore from the 36ers, Kruger from the Falcons and Gordon from the Tigers.

Who tops the list these days?

Topic #38203 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

This really is just a race for second place, which I'm guessing Wortho is probably leading.
But no one is catching Redhage.

Reply #555168 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Redhage, Worthington Anstey Wilkinson and Heal. The old school guys mentioned above, I actually liked them all had character, unlike todays easily hated.

Reply #555174 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Andrew Parkinson from the Magic!

Reply #555179 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great work LC, but Flophage is the benchmark

Reply #555189 | Report this post

Oscar Forman hahahhahahaha just kidding, he's too handsome.

Reply #555196 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Heal .......daylight.....

Reply #555209 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There was that dick that played for the Tigers back in the 90's. Don't remember his name but he basically had no role in the team except to start fights with opposition players.

Reply #555239 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze, Larry Sengstock, Leonard Copeland, Redhage and Simon Kerle

Gaze was a good player, but the whinging he did when I followed the supercats back in the 90's (along with his dad).

Leonard Copeland cos everytime we looked like beating the Tigers he'd hit consecutive 3's and that was game over.

Redhage, he holds, he uses his elbows and comes across as a thug. Good player though but after what I witnessed in the SEABL when he played for the Thunder, he gets away with everything.

Simon Kerle, a show off in supercats era, and also when he moved onto Brisbane.

Reply #555251 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Heal, Anstey, Hodge, Kerle

Reply #555259 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"There was that dick that played for the Tigers back in the 90's. Don't remember his name but he basically had no role in the team except to start fights with opposition players."

I'm gonna guess you're talking about Ray Gordon

Reply #555260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal

/thread

The Dome were wanting blood everytime he rolled up it didn't matter with what team he was with.

Another Dome favourite = Kerle. Massive dickhead.

Reply #555263 | Report this post

Singlet  
Years ago

Players we love to hate. League needs them and other than Redhage and Wortho not sure we have any more now !!

Reply #555280 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Lindsay Tait or Dusty Rychart, I can't remember now, but one of those guys was a serial flopper.

Reply #555289 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Seems to me the better a player is, the more opposition fans hate on them...

Reply #555290 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Grant Kruger was the ultimate hate target in the early 90's.

Bradtke when he played at the Powerhouse.

Paul Rees when he stepped on point guards...

Reply #555308 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

As much as i like to bring up "old" players, I have to give this to Redhage,

Does anyone even vaguely allude to him as an Australian boomer ? It seems that we are all just a little ashamed as having him once been a representative of this country and wish to just make out he was never there.

Which apparently is exactly how Floparge and his fans wants it to be, as the only mention of his proud Australian honour is how it caused his Puerto Rican team to miss out on a local title because of his absence for "boomers try-outs", no mention of his actual selection and attendance at the olympics for Australia.

really says it all in respect his place in Australian basketball. In 10 years he will be a bit of forgotten history I suspect.

Reply #555318 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Redhage, like watching the neighborhood bully blowing his nose for half an hour.

Reply #555319 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

As a Perth fan and with all this Redhage talk.. Wortho

Reply #555321 | Report this post

Very Old, you can hate his on court persona as much as you want but questioning his character and standing in basketball in the past decade says more about you than him. Shit, we rag on people for putting their pro careers ahead of their country but know you're saying he should have done the opposite?

The reason his Boomer gig didn't go as well as we could have hoped is because Goorjian insisted on giving Sav the minutes that he could have taken, despite Redhage completely out-performing him in games leading up to the Olympics.

These thread really needs to be split in to two categories - players that are hated because the fans of opposing teams got sick and tired of seeing that player kick their teams arse (like Very Old has just shown) and players who are hated because they bring nothing to the court except dirty play...the Tyson Demos award.

Reply #555328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage
Wagstaff
Martin

Pretty much Perth!

Reply #555329 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Martin?

Would not have guessed his name would come up in this thread.

Reply #555331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better say Perth based players for the sake of our SA based friends

Reply #555332 | Report this post

Are these Sixers fans still not over the 2013 GF loss?

Reply #555334 | Report this post

Reply #555335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It appears not Nintendo

Reply #555336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Dickel really irritated me.

Reply #555360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The topic is players fans love to hate with no additional qualifiers. We hate Redhage, end of story.

Reply #555401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we hate coaches too how about Joey Wright

Reply #555405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson

Reply #555406 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Redhage just as much for his moronic support from the Cats fans... and Heal from the past, someone said it, the worse the player the harder they were to hate. Kruger was funny hateable, Ray Gordon was hilarious with his celebrations... even though it was all Gaze and Copes!

Reply #555440 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

The Goorj has gotta be one of the most hated Coaches. What a twat! And everyone loved to have a go at Seamus McPeake. So he'd be the most hated owner. What a donkey.

As a 36ers fan we love him but how do other fans feel about Anthony Petrie? He loves a good tussle. If anything happens on the court while he's benched he's like a mad dog on a short leash.

Funny how most of these players that people see as a bit rough on court are actually good blokes off it. I've heard good things of Redhage as a person, but as a player you could throttle him.

Reply #555450 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Redhage is a dirty player and flopper. If he played dirty and took hits back I think there'd be less hate for him.

But he chooses to then flop like a little child and cry to every ref all night long.

I'm finding Gibbo is doing the same this year, playing for calls and crying, rather than playing the Game straight up.

Reply #555451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah owners need to be mentioned. McPeake by a mile.

Heal/McPeake/Goorjian

Although you can respect Goorjian and seemed mellower with the Kings. The other two are twats.

Reply #555457 | Report this post

"Redhage just as much for his moronic support from the Cats fans... "

No one cares that you hate him. But supporting him is less moronic that making stuff about him being so dirty and crying to the refs all night.

Reply #555465 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The thread is about players you hate so YES people do care. Your sensitive ass just doesn't like Floppage being called out.

He IS dirty and he IS a flopper. Only deluded Perth fans think otherwise.

Reply #555488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flopphage, closely followed Wagstaff. Childress's elbow was karma for all the constant off-ball niggles he's given out over the years.

Reply #555551 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Redhage!

Reply #555591 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I see people here still haven't got over the 2014 GF.

If you hate Redhage, then you must surely hate Rhys Carter for punching Redhage, or Gibbo for bowling him over.

Its laughable that the 'most knowledgable fans' love to accuse others of being salty, yet all the while wading in Sodium Chloride for the pass 2 seasons.

Reply #555596 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"If you hate Redhage, then you must surely hate Rhys Carter for punching Redhage"

How does that follow?
If I hated Redhage, I'd probably like Carter for punching him :p

Reply #555620 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nobody who's watched more than a couple of seasons of NBL, and seen some of the great wankers, could have any reason to nominate players like Martin and Wagstaff. That would be like me nominating Maher just because he played for Adelaide.
Even Redhage. I get that some people think he plays for frees too much, but he only gets elevated to the "hate" category because of his long-running success and his support amongst Cats fans. But seriously why WOULDN'T we support a 300 game championship winning player?
Again, that would be like me hating on Andrew Gaze.

So basically we need to change the title of this thread to:
"What team are 6's fans most jealous and envious of?"
Answer: Perf, cos thay suk.

End of thread.

Reply #555645 | Report this post

Anon, why does it bother me if you hate someone? I dislike plenty of players myself so it's be expected that people dislike guys from my team. We all have our reasons, some guys you just dislike for unexplainable reasons. It bothers me that people invent stuff to justify their irrational hatred.

I define dirty as someone doing thug acts (Demos, Hinder, Wortho when he is losing) and not someone who gets under his opponents skin with a hold and bump here and there. He is also nowhere near the worst complainer in the league.

No one said he wasn't a flopper either so not sure the relevancy of your comment there.

Reply #555670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

During Kings Hawks tonight:

Voss: "They love you everywhere!"
Heal (muttering): "Not in Adelaide."

Haha that's right Shane.

Reply #555785 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754