Jack Toft
Years ago

United vs Sixers, Oct 16

R1 saw United have come out of the gates faster than a hungry fat kid at a smorgasbord. Two from two was a good result, but can they make it free from free?

It's a new look United with lots of new starters and an old gun in Goulding returning. They look dangerous, very dangerous. If United were in a zoo, there would be razor wire around their enclosure and a safety pit where if some Japanese tourist fell in, zoo keepers would just spread some hay to cover the body parts.

Blanchfield is a massive loss for Croc fans, but a massive win for United fans. The big question for United is not about Tomlinson's captaincy, it's whether there's anymore room on his body for ink.

The Sixers really need to dig deep tonight. I suspect they might win around the post, but outside the arc is where they need to get control because I think that's where United will be wanting this game to be played.

Don't know what the odds are, I'm not a betting man, I'm a Sixers man. Let's Go Sixers, Let's Go !

Topic #38207 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

I know it's only round 2 but tonight's game is a Litmus Test for Melbourne.

Reply #555312 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I see it could be a long night for Adelaide, United have a great balance about them and look equipped to win for right now! Months later who knows with injuries and other teams movements, but they should take care of Adelaide by 12... having said that was sure the Crocs would lose by 20 last night!

I just don think Adelaide have the scoring power to go with them.

Reply #555314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least we know Lucas Walker won't be lighting us up from behind the arc this time!

Reply #555324 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Dare I say it, I believe this one will be played above the shoulders!

For the 6'ers to get over the line they will need to come out all guns blazing and with the right mental attitude, because the Ballers are good front runners.

If this is how it goes, I am hoping for another grand stand finish like last night, fingers crossed for a single figure result, no particular favourite just want to see another cliff hanger...

Reply #555325 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah, unfortunaely he won't be lighting it up for you guys either ;)

Reply #555326 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

United if they open up all the valves should blow Adelaide out of the Arena and into the parking lot. Slowly but surely we will see the demise of Jack Toft as his Adelaide 36ers life force is drained from his body.

Reply #555330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite having the best imports in the nbl i see Adelaide losing this one

Reply #555333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be a beauty!

I think United will get over the hump in a very close one.

Melbourne United v Adelaide 36ers
HISENSE ARENA Melbourne
Tip off: 7:30pm EST
TV: LIVE on Fox Sports News (Foxtel Channel 500)

Reply #555340 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Matthew, you should know the force is strong in me, look into your heart you know it to be true.

Reply #555354 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

whats kenyon mcneail's status for tonight ??

Reply #555355 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This will be a fast, free flowing, high scoring game and a win to Melbourne. 95-85 I'll predict with plenty of above the rim highlights from Warrick, Walker and plenty of hot shooting from Ere- who's due- Daniel Johnson, and Melbourne's impressive bevy of scorers.

Looking forward to it!

Reply #555365 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I don't see this going well for my boys, think Melbourne will get it done relatively easily unfortunately. Our perimeter D is generally horrible and United's first 5 are stacked with shooters.

Either way, it's gonna be an exciting game to watch.

Reply #555368 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

This is the last time you'll hear me say this but I'm going for the Sixers - Block your ears 'Cats fans. Somebody has to show they're beatable.
If it bleeds, it can be killed!

Reply #555371 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Mcneail status would be sketchy as it has been both games. Ebe will be up or down a couple of kilos, it fluctuates. Hopefully he can prove me wrong and make some big shots like he used too years ago... this is a huge game for the 36ers, sounds dramatic but these early ones can set you up in a lot of ways for the season.

Reply #555438 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

My heart says it'll be a close one, my head says the 6ers will be on the wrong side of the ledger to the tune of 20 points. Just can't see them getting it done with a hobbled import against the most stacked team in the league. As mentioned 36ers are historically terrible on perimeter D and United have plenty of boys who can fill it up from out there. I just hope being embarrassed out of last weeks game lights a fire and gets a few guys motivated to put in a big effort this week.

Reply #555446 | Report this post

Stan Byoman  
Years ago

Sixers by one. Ere three pointer on the buzzer.

Reply #555447 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My head says that United will be far too strong at home, but my heart says ba-dump, ba-dump, ba-dump... so I'm a bit torn on this one.

Reply #555448 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Are you 36ers fans always this pessimistic?

Yeah, United should win, form would suggest, by 10 or 15 points

But anything can happen. Shooters can have good games and bad ones, and if anyone's due for a red hot game it'is, as you know, Ebi Ere. If he goes off for 20+ and one or two other Sixers play well then this should be a cracker.

Either way it'll be fun to watch

Reply #555453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are you 36ers fans always this pessimistic?"

Have you not seen Ebi's fat?

Reply #555462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi Ere is not Import status worthy anymore. The 6ers would be better off cutting all ties and finding a better option at this point.

Reply #555468 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

i want to see the 6ers get out and run. Killed the Wildcats early, so many easy points in the 1st quarter. I think they should play Creek at Power forward, go small and try and run teams off the floor. Melbourne can run too, but havent looked great defensively this season.

Reply #555491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Have you not seen Ebi's fat?'

wtf?

Reply #555502 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

HOLT!

Reply #555506 | Report this post

Singlet  
Years ago

Camo = Horrible

Reply #555508 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Holt is really impressive. Explosive, good shooter, and creates for others.

Reply #555509 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Does anyone know if there are match stats anywhere this season?

pref live game stats...

Reply #555510 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Goulding with the matador defence.

Defensive lapses like that are the exact reason United have failed in the past few years and its why you can't be sold in them.

Offensively focussed.

They score easy but give up buckets just as easily

Reply #555511 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Ballin Fan,

For Live Stats,

Just go to the NBL WebSite and click on the game you want the stats for at the bottom of the screen.

Reply #555513 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Its funny how much United's energy levels change between offense and defense.

Offense comes around and they're active, sprinting, running hard, talking

Defense comes and they're passive, half asleep and almost just want the possession to just be over even if that means giving up buckets

That call in McNeill was horrible BTW.

Reply #555514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that was worth a flop warning, plenty of contact and seen lots worse. They Joey wants to ask the ref a question and gets told, 'that's enough.'

I hate it when officials are like that, they annoy me at the best of times but that is just plain arrogant and ignorant.

Reply #555515 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Mcneil nice bit of range. 6ers hanging in there... Ebe needs to make some shots take the pressure off the other guys. And yes he is toll fat.

Reply #555516 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Anon,

Agree it is definitely not a flop warning. On your other point the referees aren't there to spend the whole game discussing the finer points of each decision to a coach that is really only trying to get an advantage.

The refs need to focus on the game. If a coach wants an in depth discussion they can do so in a break.

Reply #555517 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think we're averaging about 2 coaching F-bombs per televised game.

Reply #555518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could they paint the teal all the way to the sideline?

Reply #555519 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Teal paint ain't cheap!

Reply #555520 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It probably also helps explain why everyone keeps stepping out of bounds.

Reply #555521 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kickert gets a remarkable amount of open looks for a guy who shoots a ridiculously high %.

Reply #555523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Tomlinson is hitting threes you know it's not your night.

Title goes through Melbourne this year.

Reply #555524 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Still not sold on Melbourne's D, but if their threes are dropping they are going to be tough to beat.

Reply #555526 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Couldn't hear if he said something, but that seemed like a soft tech on DJ...

Reply #555528 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Does Ebi have a pass button?

Reply #555529 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He does, but it's like pulling off a Mortal Kombat fatality.

Reply #555530 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

2 McNeail air balls in a row.

Reply #555531 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, yikes. He's played OK outside of those.

Reply #555532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@AussiePride I am that anon, but at no time did I make a comment that the refs need to spend their whole time talking to the coach. If they get asked a question they don't need to ignore the coach, do they?

Looks pretty bad and if you watch the NBA they always have a few seconds to at least answer a question.

These refs are very inconsistent and precious tonight, worst I have seen this season and the flop of Goulding in the final qtr not given as a warning but an offensive charge takes the cake, another rubbish call from the miserable morons wearing black and white stripes.

Oh and I am not an Adelaide supporter either!

Reply #555533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only did McNeail jack up back to back airball 3's but both of them were wide!

This is embarrassing how little we're getting out of our dud imports. We're playing handicapped.

Reply #555534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs do need to improve their communication skills and their human relations, that was very poor tonight, very bad officiating. Not that it cost one team the game but it made the whole last quarter unwatchable just a very inconsistent effort.

Reply #555536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ref's = Smallballs

Reply #555537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ere & McNeail combined 20 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast, 4 to, 6-20 fg, 4-14 3pts

Reply #555538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ere isn't good enough to play heroball while a teammate stands near him wide open. Going to be a long season if he plays like that the whole time. Pass the ball!

Scoreline could've been worse given United were hitting a lot, so there's that at least.

Reply #555539 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Reckon we did alright tonight considering U ited are the measuring stick thus far. Not an Ere fan BUT think he shows fight and can still play. I wouldn't persist with Kenyon as he is not up to it. Yes it's early but rather make the call now than latter. The season is going to be real strong and with Webster coming back makes NZ good again and having a top import guard a must.

Reply #555540 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

McNeail has had exactly one game where he was relatively healthy. He looked good in the preseason, I don't think I'd replace him unless there was a particular stud they had in mind. Ere is probably best served as a 6th man/bench spark plug at this point of his career. Throw him on, and if starts the game 0/3 from the floor, sit him back down.

Reply #555541 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ere's had 2 5 minute bursts where his shot was dropping. Other than that, he's effectively just missed shots and turned the ball over in the 3 games.
We're definitely not getting enough from our imports so far.
Good to see Gibson taking the game on tonight. 17 and 7 is a great return. Would be nice if he did it more than 3 times a season though.

Reply #555542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's just it McNeail doesn't really look NBL standard, Jarrid Frye looked like a gun in warm up games too. I was watching him closely and his decision making isn't there I know he's young pretty new to pro ball but we need a wiser head there and I've never seen a guy shoot consecutive wide airball 3's before.

Ere is our supposed 'big money' import when really at this point of his career he's nothing more than a potential offensive spark off the bench. He just chucks regardless of the point in the game or if teammates are open.

We're missing Wilson & Motum badly.

Reply #555544 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ebe has to go. His style was amazing once... but this season will slip by sooo fast if mistakes arent rectified. Im actually surpirsed people arent more annoyed at his signing. Ofcourse our aussie talent has been solid again... but that needs to be taken advantage of with atleast ine legit import. Im fed up, Joey would be happy though off at seasons end and gets to chill with his boy in boring ol adelaide in the mean time.

Reply #555548 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Damn the way he is going cut one of the imports and take on Bartlett once Webster is back, he is killing it in perth!

Reply #555565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much rather give Sobey Mcneals minutes to give him back his confidence. Joey didn't play him in the second half!! all the while the imports wee stinking it up!!!! Bye McAirball

Reply #555568 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id like to know how long Marcus Camby thinks we should persevere with this roster as is...

Reply #555569 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Unimpressive win by United tonight. They might be 3 and 0 but that performance was one they've hopefully already forgotten. Except Kickert who shot the lights out, Warrick who got his short jumper happening and Majok who toiled hard on the inside.

As an overall team performance though, totally sub par. How Many open shots looks and open lanes they want to give Adelaide in that first half? Sheesh. And how much poor offence did they want to play? After last week, that first half was like watching SEABL or something.

As for Adelaide, they need to find something. Walker looked like a shadow of his former self, Mcneaill hit two 3's then struggled for the remainder, Ebi found some looks for himself and will hit his stride and start hitting eventually but can't afford to take too much longer otherwise it'll be a looooong season for the 36ers.

Reply #555570 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ps Isaac why did you delete my comment on Ebi earlier!

Reply #555571 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

LV for me as un flashy as United were, thats the key to having genunie talent, they have enough guys to cover others off nights or even team defensive off nights. They are legit, 3-0 is a very good start and even better if they have room to improve upon it!

As for Adelaide, Ebe has no issue creating his own shot, he just can't make enough to warrant him taking them, and he wont pass which is going too piss off his team mates quicker than the season slips. Mcneil is simply not that great, injured or not, Joey screwed the pooch in this pick up. Dont care how amazing he was in Vegas. Read an article yesterday that approx 21% of the NBA guys playing right now will be cut by game 1, so the 36ers better be looking!

Reply #555572 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United is looking defensively weak. They have too much talent to drop a game at home against A 36ers team who isn't hitting their shots. But if they play like this against the good teams they can forget about it.

Agree on import change. If Wilbekin misses out of the 76ers he'd be perfect. Problem is I doubt Adelaide has the $$$- appears McNeaill is their lower budget import. But yeah if they do have any $ I'd look to upgrade. His credentials aren't great. He starred in Portugal but my quick investigations suggest it is a very weak league. Not even remotely anywhere near the NBL. Either Adelaide didn't have much $ to spend or Wright has just made a bizarre decision.

Reply #555574 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Weak is an overstatement. But Uniteds D definitely doesn't look *good*.

Reply #555575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mcneil is simply not that great, injured or not, Joey screwed the pooch in this pick up. Dont care how amazing he was in Vegas."

Joey coached McNeail on that invitational team in Las Vegas and talked up his smarts and leadership abilities. I saw absolutely none of that tonight and it said a fair bit at one point Joey called him over and said to him something like your job is to put yourself between the man and the basket so it's harder for them to score on you.

It sounded like he was talking to a kid in U/12's so much for smarts!

Reply #555579 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Same issue for Adelaide, went blow for blow with a high quality team for three-and-a-bit quarters before falling in a heap when the going got tough.

Compare the way Adelaide tried to hit hero shots against Perth and Melbourne to how NZ hung tough and executed against the Wildcats. That's where Adelaide need to get to.

McNeail looked good tonight, and I reckon those airballs were pure fatigue after not playing a lot in recent weeks. He'll be fine.

Ebi started well but he needs to be getting his shots out of the offence, not going one-on-one on repeat possessions. He needs to produce soon.

Melbourne are an unconventional team, but if you let them get in front they have so many guys who can make plays to keep them there.

Reply #555581 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Eli's game has never been to get his shots within the offence and for years he was amazingly and out of this world good at it... but that time has past him and his aging body.

Im just so flat on this 36er team, luckily the rest of the league has some really exciting talent to tune into, I'm pumped for Kings Crocs tomorrow, Kings will have a much better showing and Hawks may have just found there rhythm. Hope Penney backs it up. So definitely interest elsewhere, unfortunately, just not for the team I have season tickets for. I actually feel sorry for the Aussie talent on this squad, awesome core wasted with poor import choices, which in the NBL will always be key to a solid playoff run.

Reply #555589 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ebi*... dont think we have an Eli haha

Reply #555590 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Its undeniable that the Sixers need more output from their imports, but there are positive signs.

Both Ere and McNeail are looking to be more assertive on offence, which is what the Sixers need when the offence is stagnant. Sure, the shots didn't drop as much as we like but it will improve as their match fitness improves.

Buts its not all on the imports, Creek and Waxy also need to step up to cover.

Reply #555592 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So when would you follow through and cut one or both, if the shots continue to miss. I could go out there get paid a bundle to miss a heap of shots, not a big positive in taking shots as an import, its the makes that make a career...

Reply #555594 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Kobe there is no set date or number of rounds played or amount of missed shots that triggers letting an import go.

Its a mix of many factors.

Money - Is there any for another import?
Player attributes - When not scoring do they offer anything else to the team? Defence? Hustle? Leadership?
Availability of replacement - is there another of the right fit available, when can they join the team?
Team dynamics - Will removing 2 valued team mates upset the team's morale?

Reply #555606 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Ebi's game has never been to get his shots within the offence"

I would say his strength in the NBL has been getting his shots out of the offence, picking his moments on good teams and being devastating when he does.

The one year he went beyond that was 08 when Brisbane lost key players and had injuries, forcing them to rely heavily on Ere and Bruton for scoring.

Reply #555607 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Ebi Ere was a questionable decision from the beginning. We all expected he was going to have his occasional night, but what this team needed was quality shooters and Ebi is streaky at best.

We also did need assertive guys who WANT the shot, but this guy is just taking ill advised shot one after the other.

I would wait on McNeal. He really hasn't had enough time to show what he can do. As for Ebi Ere, I would give him another round or two to show that he can actually convert more than he misses or I would be looking elsewhere.

Surely there is a younger guy who can make some of those shots?

Reply #555612 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Mark, Ebi needs to show something quickly.

Reply #555613 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Camby, I understand the questions your asking, and many have been answered and action needs to be taken many would agree after just 2 rounds.

You cut one or both within an allotted time, and the $$ will available. The team wont lose morale its a business after all and its all been done before. No player prefers losing over off court happiness with a teammate. There are more than a few replacements that will be available shortly if not at already. Neither of these guys are playing much defense and the 36ers have many voices in that squad. In Ebi's case he cant do much of anything anymore besides jacking up shots. 3-12 wont cut it for the role he signed up to.

Not sure about other 36er fans, but I've already started coping the imports are shite txts... gonna be a long season!

Reply #555622 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I guess we dont know the money situation.

But *if* Ebi is getting paid the same $ as Warrick, Beal, Conklin, Cedric etc then he needs to start doing something in the next 2 or 3 games otherwise I expect he will go.

But like I've said in here a few times, his numbers in good league s overseas mean he *should* start performing. You'd think....

Reply #555623 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Mark-e-Mark, there is 100% other guys available to make those shots. This is lazy recruiting and some people were trying to take the piss with this signing. Who conducted the contacts this season....

Reply #555624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Money - Is there any for another import?"

Yes, obviously there is. Imports contracts don't become guaranteed until about 10 games into the season and I very much doubt Ere is on minimum wage too. In all likelihood they could save money by cutting him and signing a replacement. McNeail would probably be on around min wage though.

Reply #555627 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah Mcneail is def on dirt cheap $ his biggest asset is his 'import spot' situation. Ebi is being paid, and exactly his $ amount is guaranteed until a few more games in. Hence the call needs to be made if this club is legit about finals and has the guts to run the club like a business that wants to succeed not just exist.

Reply #555630 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

*isnt guaranteed

Reply #555633 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Kobe

Don't want to sound condescending but who are these "100% other guys available to make those shots"?

How is it that you know about them but Coach Wright doesn't?

Are their asking price within budget? Are they even wanting to come play in the NBL?

Coach Wright has a good record of getting good mileage out of his players. Now I'm not even saying just have blind faith in Joey, but lets give more than 2 weeks for his squad to realise potential.

Reply #555638 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Joey has kept and maintained a strong Australian core, but he has been off base with imports over the past 3 seasons he has been here.

Gary Ervin was an obvious selection to make, but he has left me scratching my head at a few of the others.

Ebi Ere might not get dropped. You have to remember, that Ebi is Joey's 'guy'. That would be like Joey dropping Adam Gibson. You can almost guarantee where Joey is in this league, Adam will follow.

It was a questionable decision to begin with, and one I now feel justified in criticizing. I called Ebi a "chucker", and that is what he has proven to be.

Be fair. Give him 2 more rounds. If we don't see improvement, I think the hammer has to come down.

Reply #555640 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

If your best game has long left you and you are in poor playing shape and what you used to have is not suited to team style then another 2 games will be of great help to tell you exactly what you know now .
But sure give Ere 2 more games to stink and we all get frustrated and we drop another 2 games and our numbers drop in home games and there is even less inviting for money to spent to get a actual professional import that would be that little extra this team needs.

Reply #555653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to find team balance is what we need. Are we a 3 point shooting team or a go inside team? We don't hit the 3 at a good enough clip and are rebounders are average. If Melb's not hitting the 3 either majok is grabbing boards at will or the settle down and warrick gets easy baskets. We simply don't get many easy baskets and are rebounders are poor. Ere's defence has been great and apart from that 1 last night were he missed the open man, at least he wants the ball. Much better than what we've had

Reply #555654 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The number of valued replacements already cut or about to be is huge in the US right now, and guys are desperate, not to sit by the phone putting on weight hoping for a call... they want to play, show off their game. Joey knows of them, Im not saying he is clueless he simply has decided to go with his 'guy', lazy self motivated pickup. So now you're admitting 2 rounds isnt enough, ok thanks for that was wondering. I think based on the 3 games, 2 more rounds of this and its over anyways, thats how tight this season is going to be. So thats my call, he was abad choice, real bad from the get go, and he wont have a lot of move to improve in the shortened NBL season.

Reply #555659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets face it, both imports are not great selections. The same happened against Perth. Solid until the second half, then nada!!! They don't look like they are ready to play when the likes of Goulding, Kickert, Warick, and Holt get cracking, not to mention Blanchfield! DJ can only do so much! imports must be better.

Reply #555661 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Well yeah anon, thats basically what I'm saying. Its pretty frustrating.

Reply #555662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Joey stopped subbing every two mins and let his team get in a rythym they would be much more dangerous. Ebi and Walker both cracked it last night at different times.

When will somebody play Walker at the three like Lemanis did in that Aus series when he was awesome and not the mobile stretch 4 which has been unsuccessful year after year.

Reply #555664 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I would not be surprised at all if some of Starks, Ere, Mcneaill, Prather go. It's always been the case that if you are an import and you are not performing and neither is your team that you are in trouble. But it seems there are more guys available now, the talent level in the league has increased presumably due to European issues so that would make import changes more likely. Management will look to improve any weaknesses in their teams.

Reply #555666 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Probably take Prather off that list. He did ok last night

Reply #555667 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Not even if James Ennis is available?

Reply #555668 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Kobe

Yes there are likely players out there as good as Ere willing to play, but we don't know if they will take NBL money. Its easy to say they are desperate but they have to uproot their family, is it worth their while?

You suggest Joey 'going with his guy' is lazy. I look on the positive side, Coach Wright knows Ere's qualities, the energy and leadership he brings and trusts his man. That trust between player and coach is worth something.

You have also used the word 'admitting' when suggesting I believe 2 rounds isn't enough. Admitting would lend to some notion of guilt, there is none. I have specifically stated there is no magically Round number where we start culling imports.

Put simply, we need time to allow Coach Wright's plan to evolve. I don't doubt that the team will have milestones and reviews of where they want to be at certain times. These will be an opportunity to assess then, but most teams don't start culling after 3 games.

Reply #555672 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I could not disagree with you anymore. Players play, the families will move if the guys is a legit chance of making a career out of it so weird to use that as a issue. The money will suit the guy who is not getting paid, these guys want to the NBA soooo bad because the $$$ drop off if they are cut is huge and they have to take it. You didnt give any indication about when you would pull the trigger so ateast cleared it up that you think 2 rounds of this shite isnt enough for you.

Reply #555676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This time next week the 36ers will already be 5 games into the season. That was when we pulled the trigger on Montreal and replaced him with Motum last season.

Reply #555677 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Exactly my point anon, it aint working and this season is a sprint not a marathon, it'll slip away so quickly. And this team is so close to being a really balanced tough to guard squad. If we had scouted and recruited the EQUIVALENT of Ebi Ere 8 years ago, we would be title favourites or there abouts, as is, going to compete win some but not challenge for the good stuff. The season set up does not allow for time to settle in, the offseason work is more important than ever before.

Reply #555680 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Guys try to put things into perspective

Game 1 beat NZ comfortably. They obviously had injured players

Game 2 we where beating Perth who at this stage look like a top 2 team, for majority of the game. Perth hit some big shots in the 4th. That game could have gone either way.

Game 3 Played Melbourne who are the title favourites in my opinion. Won the first quarter. Should have been winning at half time. Melbourne pulled away a bit in the 3rd/4th but we still competed hard and suffered against home court calls. Defensively we were great keeping such a great offensive team to 84 points. Offensively we need to do better.

If we were 3-0 we would be championship favourites at this stage. We could have been 2-1 but are 1-2 which is where we were expected at this stage against two top quality opposition whom we held our own against. It is not cause for panic stations 3 games into a 28 game season after playing the top 2 teams.

Reply #555681 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

King James, Cats finished on a 16-0 run or something and we could not find a basket. At 63-63 we fell apart like something out of a horror movie. Breakers would've lost to absolutely anyone that night, completely decimated with injury, and was never going to beat United, even when we caught United on an off night. IF we were 3-0 we would lucky, not favourites.

If we had recruited like we should have, we should be championship favourites and in that discussion. Our core is brilliant, the NBL is still built on how good at least one of your imports are, both of our are below par.

Reply #555683 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You are not getting a better player than McNeail for the money they are paying him. Once he recovers from his injury he will be a solid player for this team and wont play a passive game unlike Gibson.

Gibson came out excellent and then went to sleep and then padded his stats in the last quarter.

The great thing about this team is our key scoring players are excellent at foul shots. Johnson, Gibson, Ere, and McNeail all need to find a way to get to the line.

All have come down to earth about Hodgson however he deserved more minutes last night. Still managed to grab 6 rebounds in 9 minutes. I would like to see him playing with Johnson in, so that Johnson can feel more comfortable shooting the 3 knowing we at least have one rebounder in there

Reply #555684 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ebi is the issue was never going to be mcneail for what he is getting paid healthy or not... he has come simply THAT cheap! Gibson has always shown glimpses of owning a game and really only did so against the Breakers last season. Ebi being the go to import is the odd man out that can be rectified. He aint giving you big numbers nor working hard enough to get to the line anymore.

Reply #555686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers have had a very tough draw early. Let's wait until they play a middling side such as a Cairns to make a correct assessment.

Reply #555687 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kobe24 we were leading the majority of the game until that point. Perth then hit 2 big 3's and got 2 foul shots to make them up by 8. Stunned that we went from such a strong chance to little chance we then played desperate basketball. However you still have to give credit for the Sixers for being in a strong chance to win it until those last 5 minutes.

United aren't going to lose too many at home or many games this season. So to compete hard was a positive sign.

Two games next weekend will determine if Ere will come good or not. He just has to play smarter, get to the line or drive and pass to the open man and most importantly pick his shots. I am in favour of them letting him go at this stage but happy for him to prove us all wrong next weekend.

Reply #555688 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Sixers have had a very tough draw early. Let's wait until they play a middling side such as a Cairns to make a correct assessment."

Agreed!

Reply #555689 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Disagree with that. The teams we played are the teams we need to be happy to play and beat, if Adelaide had the weapons needed, we would've been able to turn that 8 point lead against Perth into a blow out for exmaple. We deserved to be in the discussion after last season, and we have fallen off quickly after a weak of season recruiting drive imo, this team will not win the title, and I'm not cool with that i guess is my beef! Anyways I'm done for now, point is clear, will be an interesting next 4 rounds.

Reply #555690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We looked good against NZ because they were missing Webster, Abercrombie & Pledger.

Perth who don't look Top 2 to me Top 4 at best held us to just 23 points in the second half.

And Melbourne who didn't have a great game held us to 33 points in the second half.

I missed the first half of the NZ game but in the 2.5 games I've seen since we look very average.

Reply #555694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the other thread.

Wright said the Sixers would play nine games in 30 days to start the season then face eight games in the next 30 days hence the team can't afford to allow McNeail to sit out.

"Our schedule seems to be unlike other teams in the league," Wright said.

"If we have everyone healthy we felt that helped us as we can keep playing games and get in a rhythm but if we have one injury it's going to be tough as we play a lot of games.

"So he won't be able to get a break, we will probably have to make a decision on what we are going to do with him."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-201516-adelaide-36ers-coach-joey-wright-says-injury-could-see-import-kenyon-mcneail-replaced-20151016-gkbg3t.html

Sounds like McNeail's on the way out so we're sticking with Ere.

Reply #555695 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Thought Sixers were okay, but they just give way too many easy open baskets. Just like last season. Kickert hitting 6-9 from 3ptis is just ridiculous. Too many times they have players getting lost in defensive switches and end up with 2 players chasing down the same guy. As soon as Kickert hit a couple that was it the shots from deep dropping from everywhere and when Tomlinson starts hitting them, your chances of beating United is slim. When your defence gives up 50% from 3pt you will nearly always lose. Funny how United loves shooting against crappy sixers defence.

Reply #555710 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Adelaide fix their execution down the stretch, at both ends, they're a quality team. As it is, they're resembling the Marty Clarke era 36ers.

Reply #555732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd figure?

Reply #555761 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

King James your optimism is great but it's also hard to bear. Fact is Adelaide missed lots of gettable shots last night and lost by 9. Regardless of how good United might become, they gave the 36ers plenty of opportunities and the 36ers didn't take them...

On another note what on earth is going on with 36ers fixture

Dec 12
Dec 23
Jan 8

??????

What the heck.

Reply #555867 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754