Dazz
Years ago

The CHARGE Rule?

I am no expert on rules. I only know what I have picked up over the years, playing as a kid, then watching and listening to commentators.
All of which means I can be slow to pick up on changes.

Which leads me to ask if the rules have changed? (Maybe in the past few years even?)

IIRC there were 3 charge calls last night. One I didn't really see too well and it wasn't replayed, but two were.

Now all crowds love charge calls against the opposition, and hate them against the home team. That's just part of the fun. Refs can and do make mistakes, and I have no beef with the overall standard.

And at the end of the day, there will be those who disagree with my observations, and that's fine, I'm not the ref.
Just curious as to the interpretations.

I THINK it seems to hinge on the concept of "initial legal guarding position" and then on what is accepted movement?

How do you establish that initial position, and how long must it be held for before the defending player can start moving? Also what is acceptable in terms of subsequent movement?
It seemed to me in the two cases that the defending player was "constantly" in motion, however if you took a strict interpretation, perhaps that initial position can be established almost instantaneously.

Topic #38220 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feet down, in front and facing. Once you have ticked these three you can move laterally and or backwards to maintain your position. As long as the contact is on the torso its a charge. I love it when people scream...he/she is moving! ! They are allowed to. People who scream this dont know the rule.

Reply #555794 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The two on Prather were clearly the right call. Don't remember what the other one was.

Reply #555795 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Slight edit

BOTH Feet down, in front and facing. Once you have ticked these three you can THEN move anywhere OTHER than forward towards the offensive player. As long as the initial contact is on the torso of the defensive player AND it gives the offensive an advantage - its a charge.

Note this means one or both feet off the ground, jumping vertically or up and backwards is all OK - provided you established position FIRST and do not "close the gap" yourself.

Its also where "flopping" originated - technically if you take the charge and you DON"T get moved out of the way of the offensive player, then there is no foul as the offensive player has not gained an advantage through illegal contact.

"I love it when people scream...he/she is moving! ! They are allowed to. People who scream this dont know the rule. "

I agree,

Reply #555819 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I honestly can't remember, hence why I ask. Did the rule change, or is it the interpretation?

Being allowed to move is all well and good, but it places the emphasis clearly on the concept of establishing that 1st position.

Of the two calls that I saw, one was difficult to say:
The defender was moving backwards (as allowed) but as to the question of first establishing a legal position, it was a real "nano-second" call. That's where I THINK in the past the ref's would not have called it, but it seems now they are.

The other call was a real puzzler.
The defender was moving sideways, which again is allowed provided he first established position. But what exactly is "legal defensive position"? He was never in position to defend the ball carrier, he moved sideways into the path of the player, from the opposite direction.

Reply #555825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Inexact science. In real time refs on the court have to go by instinct. Instinct as in if the defender looks like to be in a natural position and estabilished when contact was amde then it is a charge. Otherwise a block is called if it doesn't feel natural, i.e. the defender just slid in at the last moment.

Reply #555830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is not the charges call, it is the no call on the flop!

Reply #555880 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Watching Kings v Breakers and once again dumb charging / blocking calls.

I think I finally understand the rule - if the defense has his feet set then aim for the guy's hip. You'll get the blocking call every time.

You'd have to be stupid to aim for the guy's chest when the pickings are so easy by aiming for the hip. So why aren't players scoring more?

Reply #556773 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Being charged at and hit in the centre or chest area makes it much easier to throw yourself backwards and fall over.

Officials basically never call a charge unless the defender falls over.

This leads to lots of flopping, which is called as a charge, but try and flop when you are hit in the side or hip as the ball carrier actually goes hard at you, looks awkward and will be called a block.

This rule is all about how it looks at the point of contact, very rare that officials actually get it right, and yes Vockuna was very unlucky on that base line block call, looked like it could easily have gone the other way, so a no call would have been the correct decision IMO...

Reply #556779 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...Vukona...

sorry bud

Reply #556780 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Three F's
Feet First and Facing.
If a player gets his/her feet first to a spot and is facing then it is charge Unless in the protected zone and the defensive is a normal defensive stance.

Their is no time limit, just who gets there first.

Reply #556792 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Couple of soft ones went our way throughout the game,
Then Jawai fouled out after Davis flops INSIDE the no-charge circle. I'm not sure, it may have been one of the exceptions to the no-charge rule but still a soft flop from Davis.

Reply #558505 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think I finally understand the rule - if the defense has his feet set then aim for the guy's hip. You'll get the blocking call every time.
Yeah, that's the other weird part about these rules.
I was watching one play, defensive player clearly had position, offensive player goes around him, leans in and creates deliberate contact with the hip and draws an easy foul.

Reply #558513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davis = Davidson (the pirate looking guy)?

Reply #558514 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

When Beal was in the air a Hawk moved in front of him and called a charge, even though you cain't do anything while in the air. I get the impression of nbl being called differently for different players, rather called correctly.

Reply #558658 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think we can all agree there have been some howlers already this season, something we have to accept I'm afraid...

Reply #558669 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

For anyone that saw it, can somebody please explain the Martin no-call against the Hawks.
He was camped out near half-court, directly in front of and facing the player, feet set in concrete, and the Hawks player simply barrelled into him.
How is that not a charge?
Is this some new interpretation that you can't have a legal defensive position that far from the basket?

Or did he perhaps extend his hand to ward off the player?

Reply #560841 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Dazz - I think that was just a very bad no-call.
There's no way in hell that was not a charge.

Reply #560844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a howler, add it to the list!

Reply #560850 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:03 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754