Dazz
Years ago

The Reffing on Nate Jawai?

Rather than the inevitable "he sukks cos he plays for Perf," I'd like to hear some impartial views from people who watched the game, perhaps on Foxtel.
(Or at the game, although that mostly dispels impartiality.)

I'll qualify my remarks again by pointing out that I sit close to the Southern baseline, so a great view of what happens there, but a lot further from the other end. I'm sure those watching on TV had a better view.

However you look at it, Jawai had a big problem with the reffing. He gave up soft fouls early, and was clearly not getting the calls he expected at the other end.
He DID get a couple of calls in the first half (and completely butchered the free-throws.) Not making excuses, but he seemed rattled the whole game.

So the QUESTION is whether the fault lies with him, and he just needs to adapt to the NBL calls? Or whether the reffing has some kind of inherent bias against BIG guys?

Jawai is certainly not the fastest or the smoothest guy out there. There's no doubt a lot of his "ability" stems from his size, not his skill. Is that a legitimate reason for enforcing a different standard?

If you have looked forward to Jawai returning to the NBL, then presumably you have looked forward to him throwing his weight around, crashing some boards, and generally imposing himself in the paint. At the moment he seems reluctant to do so, and its not hard to see why.

One of the fouls he was called for in the 1st half, was the worst flop I have seen in a LONG time. The message the refs seem to be sending is that if you weigh 140+kg and you so much as TOUCH an opponent you will be pinged.

Then in the 2nd half, going for the basket, he looked like a Christmas Tree, with Breakers hanging all over him.

Topic #38221 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai was "rattled" as per your words because he isn't fit. Nice rant but you missed out the crucial fact.

Reply #555841 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

tl;dr
Wasn't Nate's night. No conspiracy.

Reply #555846 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Aah, and so the truth finally comes out.
If the 6's lose, it's dirty ugly basketball, everyone hates it, its the refs' fault, and the NBL must do something about it.

Call me naive, but I really thought we could get past the first week before Adelaide fans started blaming their losses on the refs.

At least the Adelaide fans waited until they lost before they had a whinge.

Reply #555850 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Dazz...

If you want impartial reviews on the Wildcats, this ain't the place to come.

You might as well ask Boti Nagy or Steven Leven or Mark Worthington.

Reply #555858 | Report this post

Mel O'McKarona  
Years ago

Credit where it is due, Nate is one of the shiniest players in the NBL. If he wore the same kicks as Prather he would officially be 100% reflective.

Reply #555862 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure where I have ranted or whinged?

I have simply asked the question:
Is it a case of Jawai needing to adapt to the way NBL refs call things? Or was he in fact hard done on the night?

I suppose what I should have said better is this, because its kinda the reverse of what you seem to be thinking.
If he was simply "hard done by on the night," that's actually a POSITIVE. As somebody said "not his night" and you'd expect those things to even out.
BUT if it's him that needs to adapt, well that could be a problem depending on how long it takes.

Reply #555865 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

I agree that he is getting screwed by the refs. He's a great player but we won't see it if they let people hang off him. I think he just had a off night the other night though. Maybe first home game nerves.

Reply #555868 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He is his own limiting factor.

Reply #555876 | Report this post

The refs didn't make him miss five free throws in the first quarter.

Also, capitalizing random words isn't adding the emphasis that you think it is.

Reply #555889 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Alot of big men in the Nbl have had issues over the yeara getting calla based on the guys ive spoken too. I guess Anstey had it right with all that 3 point shooting. The reffing is very inconsistent down low. Having said that I had a case off add watching the Cats game so didnt see all the plays... Jawai is going to get his fair share of calls all season because people cant move him and once Martin is back he will get somw great gimmes.

Reply #555891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy fouls a lot....has done all over the world. In fact, many of his fouls are often overlooked by the refs. Moves on most his screens, both hands on opponents when rebounding, reaches in....You name it, he does it.

Reply #555892 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

The reffing on NJ was really bad - the number of holds not called or even warned was terrible. Can't blame the opposition - if they're not calling it, you would be stupid not to do it.

I'm pretty sure the Refs will review and adjust.

If Gleeson didn't bitch about every call - he might be more effective at highlighting where there actually was a need to look a bit closer.

Reply #555895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not racist in any way but when outback shaq is playing and all sweaty, he reminds me of a massive seal.

Reply #555902 | Report this post

Very strange to add that disclaimer to a comment that wasn't racist.

Reply #555903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He definitely got hacked, I'm not a Perth supporter by any means but the reality is in those situations any other player in the league would be sent to the line. The reffing in the game was absolutely terrible, no consistency!

Reply #555905 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Ref's might have missed a couple of calls but certainly nothing sinister. I think the early missed free-throws got into his head more than anything.

I wrote more about it here - http://wildcatsviews.com/2015/10/17/recap-perth-wildcats-vs-new-zealand-breakers/

As mentioned earlier, his fitness is the biggest concern. Apparently he's doing an extra boxing session each week to get fit. Might need to up the sessions!

Reply #555906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV cameras zoomed in on him after 2 minutes of play. Already sweating and struggling for breath. He isn't fit or anywhere close to it.

Reply #555956 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's interesting that Jawai, since his medical issue a couple of years ago, has never played big minutes.

From 2013-2015 he didn't play much for Galatasaray, and when he did he played 9 mins a game. Then he went to a Spanish team and played 16 minutes a game.

His size does make you wonder about his ability to follow around guys like Daniel Johnson ,Khazzough etc too.

Reply #555999 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You need to go back to 2011 when he played 23.5mpg to find a season where he played 20+.

At 143kg is he capable of chasing around guys like Daniel Johnson and Khazzough or playing against up and down quick teams like United,Hawks, 36er for 28-30mins?

Reply #556041 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

He can still dunk when he's open, which is something more leaner guys like Schenscher or Burston fail to do.

Reply #556044 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Jawai reached in and fouled Gibson, called unsportsmanlike as a big guy fouling a little guy looked like he could get killed

Reply #556062 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Sincerely doubt that the 'average' refereeing has anything to do with any particular player. Just average refereeing, which sadly seems to be the norm.

Not helped by refs [apparently] being encouraged to be subjective in their decision making rather than applying the rules the first time, which rather unremarkably has the effect of getting players to play within the rules so we get basketball rather than wrestling or running.

Of course, the situation would be helped a great deal if the players [and coaches] stopped 'trying it on' and set out to play within the written rules.

As Goorjian cynically but cleverly worked out long ago, it's a numbers game. If refs call only half of 'what's there' [I'm not suggesting it is 50% - choose your own figure and do your own sums] and there are 100 calls to make, there are going to be 50 missed calls. If there are 50 calls to make and half are not made the 'misses' will total 25. And so on.

As I have said before, I'm a Nate fan, but sadly he does a lot of things wrong, so getting his 'stuff' sorted would be a good start, and make it easier for the refs to start paying attention to the other things. If they have to try to work out [there's that subjective call issue] whether or not to call his walk, charge, push or hold on every possession they are going to struggle to see - or call - anything else.

Of course, watching the action instead of the ball always helps too.

Reply #556082 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

Refs have been pretty average so far, in every game. Sometimes wildly changing interpretations quarter to quarter let along game to game.

I think Nate probably gets kind of a raw deal just due to his size and strength. The hanging off and arm chops probably aren't so obvious because he can literally power through some pretty extreme attention, but on the other end of the spectrum he doesn't do himself any favours when he's dropping his shoulder into defenders and getting frustrated and aggressive because he doesn't think things are going his way. I mean he's so damn big that he could show just an ounce of patience and easily back someone down under the ring, he doesn't need to charge through them like an angry bull, he's gonna get the offensive foul more often than not.

Reply #556173 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I actually question how good Nate actually is. I just don't see him dominating the league like many think he will.
What he will do, and has done so far, is make Knight a much more effective player.

Reply #556561 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I actually question how good Nate actually is. I just don't see him dominating the league like many think he will.

I think the issue is that Nate is just HUGE, and that equates to a certain advantage in basketball.

Reply #556855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the issue is that Nate is just HUGE, and that equates to a certain advantage in basketball.

DAZZ = CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

Reply #556887 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754