Isaac
Years ago

36ers to sign import Jerome Randle

5'9" scoring point guard.

Randle has always been a great passer, but in college he was a score first type point guard. His handle is beyond ridiculous and I promise you he can shoot a few feet inside the half court line with ease and knock it down fairly consistently. However, at the camp he became a pass first point guard. He reminded me of when Sebastian Telfair was in the McDonald's All-American game and was going for the assist record. I had never seen Randle play this way before.
Draft Express
A fearless point guard who can beat you with the pass or shot ... Extremely quick first step ... Has the extra gear to turn the corner or change direction even against top level defenders ... Has superior ball handling and a variety of moves off the dribble ... His wiry strength and aggressive approach allow him to make plays in the driving lanes against much bigger defenders ... Creative finisher around the basket, uses angles and his soft touch to convert ...
NBADraft.net

But Джером Рендл or, phonetically, Dzherom Rendl, isn’t close to California, Dallas, or anywhere else in North America. He is in Kiev, running the point for the Ukrainian national team.
What Is Jerome Randle Doing Leading The Ukrainian National Team?

Topic #38233 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

Isaac: Sadly I cant watch the imbedded Video at work. What can you tell me about Jerome?

Reply #556197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

URL to video?

Reply #556200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Jerome Randle, replaced Pooh Jeter as the Ukranian nation team's naturalised player, just played NBA Summer League for Milwaukee.

Was briefly signed by the Dallas Mavericks one season but never played a game for them, looks like it might've been to secure his D-League rights.

Played last season in Turkey averaging 15.8ppg, 5.0apg, 1.0spg, 2.4tpg shot 55% from the field, 36% on 3pts in 24 games. The Turkish league is one of the strongest leagues in the world. Despite only being 5'9" I'd certainly be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Much, much more credentialed than McNeail.

Reply #556202 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Short but good shooting percentages.

Reply #556205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a fantastic fg percentage for a guy his size means he's adept at getting to the hole but can shoot the three at a decent clip too.

Impressive numbers given 3 former NBA players were on his Turkish team too.

Reply #556215 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This is exactly what the first import shoulvde looked like from the get go. Nice bounce back for mine. Hopefully has a bit of attitude about him... and little guys have done ok in Aus last few years... hence bigs never get many calls go their way on defence.

Reply #556216 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Isaac is this the guy you thought it'd be.... curiosity.

Reply #556217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24,

To be fair the better players usually get snapped up by the higher paying leagues in Europe. Then some shake free.

I think this guy has the potential to do real well in a fast paced league like the NBL and especially in Joey's run and gun system.

Reply #556218 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id have taken pretty much any of the other teams imports over to Mcneail, so personally think it was just a iffy pick too start with. Im more excited about the potential with this guy, looks super quick and can shoot. 6ers want to run, so now lets run!

Reply #556223 | Report this post

Jay B  
Years ago

Run, gun and have some buns - Ebi Ere

Cal Bruton would have something to say about that.

This looks like a good pick up by the way.

Reply #556225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now time for the club to eat Ebi's contract

Reply #556226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle played four months in Ukraine and is now naturalised. What a joke. FIBA need to get onto these lower tier European countries who naturalise rapidly.

Reply #556228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks a lot better with the ball than Kenyon, he will get in the key and cause some havoc.

Reply #556232 | Report this post

Megadunk  
Years ago

He averaged 13/2/4.5 in Euro 2015 ... That's really good. He could well be a gun

Reply #556235 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kobe24, yes, it is who I thought it would be.

Reply #556241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are who we thought they were - but we let them off the hook!

Reply #556244 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

If nothing else he has a handle thats for sure.

Reply #556278 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He's got some handles, that's for sure. Hopefully he can be a good drive and dish guy. He's obviously short, and there's not a lot of shooting in his clip, but he's got some ability.
Hopefully he's a good fit. An assertive PG alongside Gibson is what we need, and he looks like that's what he could be.

Reply #556279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea, he looks like an exciting player to watch too,

Reply #556280 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Looks the goods. Gary Ervin with a jump shot?

Reply #556283 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

When will he start?

Reply #556284 | Report this post

Boti  
Years ago

"If nothing else he has a handle thats for sure."

You mean he has a handall

Reply #556286 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson:

will be a nightmare for all the guards in the league. Great pick up.

Reply #556290 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Saw what Jamar said, thats not a bad recommendation, guys dont usually go all out to compliment a guy who took your job sort of haha

Reply #556294 | Report this post

Fun police  
Years ago

This guys been cut more times than a loaf of bread, played in turkey sure, but his team finished dead last, give me a winning player please, not somebody who pimps up his highlights tape with gangsta music playing shitball against chumps that don't play defence!

Reply #556297 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Turkey is a great league. Kirk Penney and Hakim Warrick have played there recently. Lots of ex NBA guys there.

This is a *fantastic* signing.

Reply #556299 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

He's div 2 though

Reply #556304 | Report this post

Fun police  
Years ago

Yep div 2 bottom feeder team

Can we please check all these posts talking him up aren't coming from joeys computer

Reply #556305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No his team was in Div 1 last season when he was there they were relegated to Div 2 THIS season.

Reply #556308 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Fun police... atleast he is in basketball fit shape and id trust Jamar Wilson's opinion of which he did not have to give. Still see this team having to upgrade with Ebe, but this guy is def going to be an upgrade on mcneail for mine.

Reply #556309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/sorry-see-kenyon-mcneaill-go-welcome-36ers-jerome-randle/

My thoughts on the Randle signing, should give us the scoring punch and 3pt shooting we need, he looks fun to watch too!

Reply #556310 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yes his team finished second last, but some of those Turkish teams play Euroleague. His team was 9-21, hardly uncompetitive.

Turkey is clearly good- lots of serious ex NBA (not fringe NBA) guys who played meaningful minutes like Arroyo,Vujacic, Farmar, Krstic, etc. And Randle has had impressive stats the last 2 years in a row.

More importantly he seems to be the right type of player that the 36ers need.

If I'm a 36ers fan I am absolutely beaming from ear to ear.

Knowing this place plenty of ppl will put a negative spin on it though.

Reply #556311 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Good signing has good numbers in good leagues. Appears to be a similar type player to Deleon. Think will be better than McNeail regardless of injury or not.

Reply #556312 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He really does look like Deleon.
Less of a streetballer though.

Reply #556314 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Ere is very handy as scorer off the bench. Not to be a hero at the end of games however he is the one I would want taking the last shot at the end of a set play not an iso. Unless he gets injured, which isn't that unlikely due to his age and fitness, he won't be replaced.

Reply #556317 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He should be replaced purely because he is being considered a bench role player! This fiasco is crazy, they definitely did not get the Ebe they thought they were...

But hopefully the blow of him and will be less with Randle... I'm looking forward to the potential spark plug type player he could be.

Reply #556319 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Happy to be proven wrong but my first concern with reading that we've got a 5'9" guard is how he matches up on the defensive end. He could be potentially taken advantage of by bigger guards who could score at him on will. Hopefully he can make up for in other areas.

Reply #556323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So his last team were regulated. Oh well at least he has the relevant experience for our spoon campaign.

Reply #556328 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Turkey is very comparable in standard to the NBL, lots of players have done well in both in recent years, so his numbers there look promising at least without knowing detail behind them.

My only question would be, why is a US point guard with a Euro passport and Euro experience not playing in Europe? Particularly given Adelaide aren't a big spending team by NBL standards.

McNeail was always a gamble given his resume, this guy looks more NBL calibre and looks more of a like for like replacement for Wilson and Ervin.

Reply #556337 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Had a closer look.

In 12/13 he played in Belgium. Belgium appears to be a decent league, not sure exactly how it compares to NBL but Rotnei Clarke played there last season averaging 18ppg and Ben Madgen is there right now. Randle did really well averaging 17ppg (5th in that league) and his team finished 2nd going 19-9 before being bundled out of their playoff series.

13/14 he started the season in Turkey. Switched teams part way through the season and became a teammate of Kirk Penney at Trabzonspor. Penney and Randle were the two top scorers on the team and they finished 13-17.

14/15 he returned and started the season with Trabzonspor. After 3 games switched to a new team. Played out the season, his team went 9-21 and he averaged 16points 5 assists, 2.4 turnovers with good shooting clips- 48% field, 36% from 3.

Averaged 13points for Ukraine in the recent Euro basket.

Good question by Paul though- why isn't he playing in Europe? And also will need to see how he goes on D.

But at this point I'd say he looks like an impressive pick up.

Reply #556351 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Why are lots of Aussies (and Kiwis) not playing in Europe? Why do we have guys like Warrick/Childress down here? Money (reliability of being paid), lifestyle... lots of reasons why a guy would rather live and play in Adelaide than live and play in a random European city. Passport or not.

Reply #556361 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Is it common practice in Turkey to just randomly switch teams part way through the season in Turkey?

Reply #556362 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hendo- not sure.

Off the top of my head, one season there was 6 days between his last game with one team and his first game with his new one. The other season the gap was 17 days.

But it is good sign that both seasons in Turkey he played out the year with the new team. And Joined his Belgium team in 2013 in early January and played out the season till late May playoffs.

Based on the video and the stats he clearly has a great handle, can get to the basket and can shoot the 3. And his assist numbers mean he does pass it too. I just get the feeling he'll be a good fit like Ervin and Wilson before him.

For any gamblers out there, in my mind now is a good time to bet on the Crocs finishing last. (Before they play Melbourne tomorrow and their record worsens again and before the bball public sees Randle and realises he's a real upgrade on Mcneaill).

Reply #556368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

really excited by this signing... reminds me of isiah thomas jr... even though he is short he can score with the best of them & get destroyed on D... greivis Vasquez (6'6 point guard) allows opponents to shoot a higher fg% in the post than IT2 (5'9), which shows you height isn't everything...

Reply #556372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*doesn't get destroyed on D

Reply #556373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defensively he is aggressive and in his opponents face. Has quick hands and uses his agility and lateral quickness to stay in front of them. Has done pretty well defensively against bigger guards in the past.

To be honest, how often do you see guards in the NBL posting up? Predominantly they are either happy to shoot from the perimeter or drive - no reason he cant defend either of those.

Golden State gave up something like 100 points per game last season...they just made sure they scored 106. :-)

Reply #556378 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

AngusH, you missed my point. If he has a Euro passport he doesn't take up an import spot any more. Given he posted very good numbers as an import, why hasn't he received a lot of good offers as a local?

Hopefully there's a good reason and he has a great stint in the NBL, but it's a question worth asking.

Reply #556418 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I understand the point re: holding a European passport. As I said though, there are a lot of completely valid reasons outside of being a headcase or difficult to manager as to why he might want to play in Australia vs. the type of money he could be offered in Europe.

But yes, agree, we'll soon find out. Hopefully not before the Kings-Sixers game though... :)

Reply #556591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had a pretty decent year in one of the best leagues in the world. His agent might've bumped his price right up no team there came biting it all dried up and he's had to 'settle' for the NBL.

Reply #556594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had a good year in a good league where Troy Devries, Chris Warren and Kirk Penney have been in leading scorers, don't get too carried away.

Reply #556605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a lot better than a good league, the guy was on one of the worst teams in the league and had 3 former NBA players.

Reply #556606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Results in European comps say it's a good league and they don't lie.

Reply #556609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had a good year in a good league where Troy Devries, Chris Warren and Kirk Penney have been in leading scorers, don't get too carried away.
Is naming Penney there meant to support your argument? He's currently the leading scorer in the NBL, making him a great benchmark.

Reply #556622 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was me, not sure why name didn't come up. Yep, those players were mentioned as the performances of players are pretty transferable from the TBL to the NBL, and while I love our league I think it's a good one rather than a great one.

The TBL's top clubs would be slightly ahead of the NBL equivalent, the bottom teams slightly behind, but if you look at TBL clubs in Euro comps, it certainly doesn't stand out above other good leagues in Europe and doesn't match the ACB.

Reply #556631 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He is going to be better than kenyon mcneail and that is something to be happy about. You can go through all the leagues and assume away, but at the end of the day it seems to be a safe bet this is an upgrade.

Reply #556652 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

Anyone able to copy and paste the Boti articles from the Advertiser on Randle? They're subscription only which really sinks my canoe.

Reply #556715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754