RMQ
Years ago

Appreciation of new NBL schedule

I'm loving the new Wed-Sun schedule.

I think it's great for casual fans, and much better exposure for the league.

Obviously, in the short-term mid-week games will result in smaller live crowds, but if the league and interest grows the crowds will eventually come.

For casual fans it has to be a positive to flick on the bball, catch the end of the game, but know that it'll be back on the next day, and the next day and the next.

It also allows players to become more recognizable as people start to look out for certain players on certain teams.

I know it's early days, but I don't think I could go back to weekend only games!

Topic #38245 | Report this topic

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I love the new schedule, especially the mid-week games. It just spices up my mid-week. My only problem is that teams are having lots and lots of home and away games in a row.

For example melborune are about to play 4 more in a row. They need to do a better job of mixing it up, so teams like melbourne play maybe 2 home and 2 away. It especially sucks for season ticket holders when they're going to 3 games in 7 days (Like Sydney). I don't hate it, in fact I like it, but I know lots of people who cancelled their membership just because of having to go to so many games in a week, because they don't have the time.

Reply #556539 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sydney, Melbourne and Perth all have lengthy periods this season where their home venues are unavailable, which is why they have lengthy strings of home games at the moment.

Reply #556541 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

NBL withdrawal symptoms on a Monday/Tuesday... *shivering in a dark corner*..

Reply #556546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha^

Reply #556548 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Loving the Wed-Sun btw.. stroke of genius

Reply #556553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would appreciate it more if we had Brisbane and the Dragons back!

#Tigersaredead

Reply #556555 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I do like the new scheduling, should open up a great TV market for sports lovers mid week.

Reply #556564 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I just hope Kestelman doesn't block out the Melbourne market to keep a monopoly. Would be great to get a South Dragons back in the mix.

I honestly could see 3 markets working in Melbourne if they got it right. Get both a South and Eastern Market in.

Reply #556571 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The Wed-Sun thing is understandable, but the following are ridiculous:
- United 6 home games in a row
- Sydney 8 of first 11 at home
- United playing Townsville 4 times in the first half of the season
- Adelaide having a 10 day break between games(after Dec 12), then a game (23 Dec) and then a 14 day break (next Jan 7th)

Reply #556572 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

As said above though, there are reasons for the front-loaded schedules for United and Sydney.

Reply #556576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody else find it strange that the United have 8 out of 10 games at home to start the season?

Is LK looking to buy a championship for the United as he does own the league.

Just asking

Reply #556578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's called the Australian Open people.

Reply #556581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aus open takes up the hisense and margret court option for the whole of january..... not LK buying a championship, dosent benifit them a whole lot anyway because they have to play more games in a row at the end of the season, every teams schudle has its pros and cons

Reply #556587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holy shit. Always something. The venues don't just sit there waiting for basketball. It was booked previously for major sports etc !!!

Reply #556590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it although it's not crowd friendly say playing two home games a few days apart the schedule is built for TV and that is where the growth is more likely to come. If the NBL picks back up doesn't matter people will come flowing through the gate ala Perth.

Reply #556592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the new schedule benifits the members and the more 'hardcore' fans, whereas it isnt great for the casual fan and familes

families with kids dont particualy want to be late out on a weeknight with school next day

the casual fan isnt also going to go to 2 games in a week, whih hurts crowd numbers

but for members its been great, espically a melbourne member, had a game on friday night, now theres one tomorow night, same as saturday night, then we turn around and have another on thursday night and sunday afternoon !!!!!!!!

Reply #556597 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Love the new schedule, would be interested to add up overall attendance at the end of the season for each team and compare with last year though. Taipans managed about 3.7 for the first game and basically sold out their second just shy of 5k. Have had a buzz at a crocs game like that for a while. Last year they were doing 3.5 to 4k most home games. Don't like the home away scheduling, hope it gets sorted out next year.

Reply #556603 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Haven't had.. Sorry.

Reply #556604 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBA teams, at times, have home runs of three games in five days. It's inevitable with either more games or a denser schedule.

If this becomes more the thing for the NBL, it'd mean less focus on fans attending every game, and more on building TV crowds or selling game packs rather than season tickets to all but the most dedicated.

I like the spread of games too. But really notice the few days now that don't have games. Hopefully they can play more games in future seasons, if the support from Fox is there.

Reply #556621 | Report this post

great TV coverage. Week day games are great and should draw a good audience as there is stuff all else worth watching on TV.

Reply #556624 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I have been looking around for the last three days for that thing that has been bugging me that has been missing from my life...

That's it, no basketball games.

Even if you don't watch the games, the new schedule creates energy, discussion, interest in other teams, box scores, ladder updates, match reports and highlights to look at the next day (depending on what takes your fancy) and, hopefully, increasing news reporting as well.

I think you only need to take a look here to see there is genuinely more discussion of basketball going on and not just of your own team.

Reply #556630 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Really enjoying what the NBL is doing this season. I know it has sparked interest from some basketball fans because they can just flick the TV five days a week on and watch part of a game.

Re midweek games, Fraser Neill had it right, play most of them in smaller venues closer to people's homes and play most of your weekend games in big venues.

Reply #556632 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

XY you hit the nail on the head.

Even if you don't attend the games, and even if you don't watch all the games - the new schedule creates energy and discussion about the league.

The league and teams and your favourite player are easier to follow. WIth there usually being only one game a day, a memorable performance is more memorable.

Whoever said weekday games are not good because they affect families - you are missing the bigger picture. That's a short term problem. You can't have it all.

Reply #556645 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY - that's exactly it. I just wish the NBL could improve the access to stats and game highlights so people could see all of these things.

Reply #556648 | Report this post

"Whoever said weekday games are not good because they affect families - you are missing the bigger picture. That's a short term problem. You can't have it all."

What if midweek games affect crowd numbers?

Reply #556663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the bigger picture is TV and that ultimately elevates the league, stadium crowds are a bit less relevant.

Reply #556666 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

mid-week games affect crowd numbers in the short-term, but it's ok.

Develop a following via tv and people will eventually get their butts to games - or at least that would be the plan.

Reply #556669 | Report this post

I dont think that will ever be the case with the NBL. We're never going to get a tv deal that can subsidise over half the clubs struggling to get crowds through the door.

Reply #556670 | Report this post

"mid-week games affect crowd numbers in the short-term, but it's ok."

Is it? Considering this five year tv deal is worth zero dollars to the league, where is the money coming from to prop up the clubs that start losing revenue by poor ticket sales?

Reply #556671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK.

I've been critical of the Fox deal but I can see the logic just disagree with it. Get every game professionally produced and on TV with the highlights essentially used as ads during sport reports with gets the NBL in the media and hope a FTA network comes knocking.

Reply #556673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What everyone fails to recognise is this is Australia and the market and culture is completely different and thats starts with our lack of college sports, enthusiasm and population that the US And Europe, etc have. This is why I believe this will fail and the consequence will be those clubs without millionaire backing to prop up the club until the media money comes in (i believe it won't) will fail and fold.. Goodbye Sixers, Crocs and eventually Illawara.. If you think members and loyalty doesn't count then you need to educate yourselves in marketing and business management principles and look at case studies of successful sports teams around the world. .

Reply #556680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if they've made a business decision that members & loyalty just aren't enough for the league to survive?

Some might fall away but the potential for hooking in a portion of the rest of the 99% of the population is too great to ignore.

Reply #556682 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Loving the Schedule here in NZ.

9.30pm game time tonight is perfect.

By that time, there is nothing on TV, I have gone to the gym, had dinner, showered etc. Works out well.

Mid-week sport in general is fantastic. I literally look forward to the Wednesday game from the very start of the week (I live a sad life i know).

Reply #556687 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Don't know about now, but back when I was in High School, sports teams played like 2 or 3 games a year, and they were just interschool kind of things between 2-3 schools.

I believe there should be an initiative to introduce uniform school competitions between all high schools in soccer, basketball, football all year long.

Reply #556690 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

Don't mind the idea of midweek games but the timing has screwed what was a somewhat religious routine for us as members. In previous seasons the earliest game was 7:30 for us. We could get off work, go meet up for dinner at a restaurant and then get to the basketball. It was cutting it fine, but we rarely missed tip off. Now all games are 7:00 getting from work to dinner beforehand is an impossibility and we're forced to grab some fast food on the way and eat it during the game (which i also don't like because i'd prefer to be supporting my team, not spitting a 6 inch sub over the lady in front).

I also think the family with school-age kids market is going to be lost for weeknight games, which is a shame.

Reply #556700 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Totally agree that, for a bball fan like me, the 5 day a week bball thing is very cool.

Sitting on the loo, just make sure that iPad's handy and catch a quarter of an NBL game on a weeknight. Just tell your partner that you need more fibre in the diet.

Reply #556729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wtf ^

Reply #556793 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

A game a day is what we should be aiming at. Hope that can happen when Brisbane enters the comp. Depends on availability of venues though.

Reply #556803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754