Jumpshot
Years ago

Refereeing is much better this year.

The Refereeing is much better this year without Mal Cooper's pansy touch fouls.

Topic #38265 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Those "pansy" calls were gone last year. I think what the 2013/14 reffing style did, albeit it a bit over the top, was enforce much-needed defensive discipline on teams.

This year's approach of 'reffing with the voice' has merit, and overall the reffing has been good, but when it has been tested by teams pushing the limits it has failed on a number of occasions.

I think if they can consistently crack down on undisciplined reaching fouls (rather than saying hands out or choosing to let the game go on because the ball wasn't dislodged) but the same approach to the rest of the contest we've seen this season we will get a good result.

Reply #556939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess it is asking far too much to expect less inconsistency, I am seeing about the same level of that!

Reply #556948 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

Yeah, I'd tend to disagree, i think the consistency is slightly worse this season with the interpretation seeming to change quarter to quarter. It's still early though so hopefully they can iron out some of that stuff.

Reply #556952 | Report this post

The refs should focus on calling the soft fouls that encourage the defensive to remain honest, while also not calling soft fouls because "let the players play." Then fans would have to think of something else to incessantly whinge about.

Reply #556960 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You obviously don't follow sport much!

Reply #556961 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Better? Really? Probably not worse, but no better, in my opinion. We keep hearing about 'interpretation', but while charge/block has 'always' been a largely 'value' call that is really the only one, isn't it?

I'd suggest some [much?] more time spent with the rule book and maybe some [structured] game play situations so the refs have a chance to 'reset' their instinctive recognition/reactions to what is legal [actually within the rules] instead of all the illegal stuff they've been subjected to[& come to accept as 'normal']for so many seasons would pay huge dividends. Of course, to capitalise on that they would actually have to watch the feet and the body, not the ball [check out where they are looking a lot of the time!] and blow the whistle.

'Using the voice' rather than the whistle just means we have five coaches in the game, two on the sidelines and three with whistles. And while the coaches with the whistles are talking/coaching one player or situation they are not doing the rest of their job. By the way, when do they stop talking and blow the whistle on the guy they are talking to? Another subjective decision they have to make, which further complicates and increases the decision-making [over]load. KISS, anyone?

The rules are there to ensure the game is a fair contest between teams and between players. Maybe we could try using them instead of focusing on 'interpretation', which has the effect of opening the way for each individual ref to call his/her version of the rules. And even that isn't consistent, as we see demonstrated again, and again, and again.

Reply #556968 | Report this post

"By the way, when do they stop talking and blow the whistle on the guy they are talking to? "

Never it seems. They continually warn a player with "don't hold" but still don't call the hold after three or four warnings. The players adapt to what the ref is calling pretty quickly.

But then of course, the ref finally calls just one hold late in the game and it leaves everyone confused and in a thread-starting mood.

Reply #556973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sport on Cuss, the consistent inconsistency, it's long been a feature. It's a tough gig without pro refs but a bit more consistency in what is and isn't a foul would be nice.

Reply #556976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Jumpshot, your comment about Cooper leads me into thinking you have an agenda against him, so that is better ignored. Your thread title suggests the refereeing has improved, but I can't see anyone agreeing with that comment either.

Reply #556979 | Report this post

I don't think its a personal attack on or an agenda against Cooper. Its just the past few years of reffing can be summarised as being under Cooper's watch.

Reply #556981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much better is a huge stretch, maybe better in some focus on specifics or a point of emphasis, but certainly not much better at all.

Reply #556987 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

POP & Supernintendo - I'm with you guys.

To all you NBL refs out there, the players aren't taking you seriously under this chatty way of controlling the game, so BLOW the EFFING whistle or put the rule book away. Stop pretending you're in control, cos you aren't!

Reply #557070 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

There seems to be a ridiculous amount of fouls called whilst shooting the 3. Why the focus there?

Reply #557133 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

@Anonymous - Are you Mal Cooper?

At the moment, refereeing may still be a bit inconsistent, but at least the refs are not calling touching netball/WNBL fouls. Basketball is a physical game, and under Cooper's watch, I would rather watch netball. Let the boys bump.

Reply #557196 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Fine line all this stuff, interpretations and consistency along with common sense officiating is always going to be the biggest challenge combined and those referees with good communication skills always stand out.

Reply #557226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754