Anonymous
Years ago

Todd Blanchfield's one weakness...

I am loving the evolution of Todd's game. He is very talented. NBA scouts are keeping a close eye on him.

To become a complete player though, he must improve his ball handling.

This is his one weakness.

I know he is a SF but the evolution of this position over the years means that he needs to be able to put the ball on the floor consistently, like a guard.

This will definately enhance his game. He will then be able to drive and dish and be much more effective at creating his own shot (ala Ingles).

I hope he works on this part of his game because everything else he does is very sound

Topic #38266 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

His other weakness is not enough ball to go around!

Reply #556944 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Right now, he seems to be a lot like David Barlow pre Europe. Strong spot up shooter, takes the right shots and is happy to be the 2nd or 3rd banana on offense, athletic and active on the defensive end.

If he could improve his ball handling, play making and one on one scoring ability a little bit, this would add an extra dimension to his game and then he'd be a better chance at the NBA or top Euro leagues.

Although- if he can get his 3 point shot and defense at an elite enough level then he’s still a chance at NBA anyway- there’s room for players like that, ala Bruce Bowen who was playing abroad before making a name for himself in San Antonio, and who only really did two things- played great D and hit occasional 3’s from the corner!

Reply #556955 | Report this post

The refs should focus on calling the soft fouls that encourage the defensive to remain honest, while also not calling soft fouls because "let the players play." Then fans would have to think of something else to incessantly whinge about.

Reply #556956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You gotta lay off the booze mate^

Reply #556957 | Report this post

Yes, well this is embarrassing.

Reply #556958 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If he could improve his ball handling, play making and one on one scoring ability a little bit"

That was his strength last year in Townsville. Really worked hard to improve it, did a great job playing SG getting to the rim and helping with ballhandling against presses. Had his three-ball been dropping he would have been unstoppable last year.

Of course, not many people pay attention to Townsville so it largely went unnoticed! He has put himself in an interesting situation this year - not sure if better or worse for him - could have been a dominant force with the Crocs, but now will have a different role.

Reply #556959 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's interesting paul. Just going off the stats, He did score 40% of his points from 3 pointers last season (155 points of 408 total in 28 games). And he averaged a career high 1.7 assists a game. But even for a wing player, that's not high.

In terms of his career development, he’s hoping it’ll work for him like it did for Ingles and Barlow before him- being a part of a successful program with elite players around him, leading to better opportunities and improvements in his game.

But, it can go both ways. Like Goulding in 2012/13 and 2013/14 who had the opportunity to be "The man" and made big steps in each season, which culminated in a scoring title and an NBA try out, and a gig in Spanish first division.

Reply #556965 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah exactly. Would have been forced to be an all-around offensive player again at Townsville. At Melbourne, will he improve in that environment or go back within his comfort zone as he did previous to last season with the Crocs? Will be interesting to monitor.

Reply #556975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Todd played the 2 last year with the Crocs with Steindl at the 3. He showed that he had worked really hard on his handles, especially his left hand which was always the issue. Its a shame that he is now playing the 3 and sometimes the 4 at United because I think that will hurt his chances for Rio and for the NBA.

I think you'll find, if given the opportunity, he can actually handle the ball under pressure.

Reply #556983 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He's fine with managing the rock, as in he doesn't turn it over from a sloppy handle, but he can't create too much off the dribble one on one, and I don't think he ever will be able to. He isn't a great creator for others either, but with how pure his stroke is from deep it doesn't matter. He's a better shooter than every other Australian player right now not named Mills or Broekhoff.

His comparison for me is like a lower-level Trevor Ariza, and the NBA should be a realistic possibility for him if he pushes himself. He has the size to play his position at that level.

He just has that weird running style with tiny steps where he never looks like he's really sprinting or exploding or trying hard. I think that might also be a function of the poor ballhandling: it's tough to run hard and fast with the ball if your handle isn't great.

Unfortunately Australia continues to produce elite players with really bad ballhandling and shooting skills. At least Todd has the latter.

Reply #557031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately Australia continues to produce elite players with really bad ballhandling and shooting skills.

That's a stretch right there!

Reply #557036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creating off the dribble requires more than just ballhandling. It also encompasses a physical aspect to it. The 2 go hand in hand. So the way he moves will very much influence his ability to do this. I'd be getting a running/movement coach as well. Yoga is also your friend.

Reply #557056 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No. I think his biggest weakness is his defense.

I don't know how many times he made a play last night only to come down defensively and completely switch off and watch Steindl bang 3 after 3.

His lateral quickness and defensive intensity looks average. In saying that I think he has that kind of smoothness and casual feel to his game that makes him look a tad more disinterested defensively than what he actually is?

Reply #557118 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754