Anonymous
Years ago

VJBL cup weekend tournament

Who other than Frankston, Knox and Werribee is involved in the cup weekend tournament?

Topic #38274 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably no-one it has not been promoted well - but will probably work better next year with more promoting?

Reply #557185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know at our association people were not given much time - just told it was COMPULSORY after some coaches and families had booked holidays!!!!

Reply #557187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Silly concept, if you as DOC want to get a look at all your teams it's impossible as they are spread right across Melb!

Individual club are arranging their own games and DOC can sit at the same venue and see all their teams in action, much easier, much simpler and far less hassle for parents.

Reply #557204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it all about the DOC? The age groups are all at the same venue, so the coaches can look at all the kids in their age group and move them around if there's a thought that they got a selection wrong. I think the concept is good, agree that it hasn't been well organised for this year. Love that there are no finals, the kids are always cooked by that stage of the tournament, and usually you've got all you need from it by that stage anyway.

Reply #557230 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is it a VJBL run tournament???? Think it is just a few clubs so wouldn't call it a VJBL tourney.

Our club have a bit more respect for families by not taking one of the only non basketball long weekends for the year for practice games disguised as a tournament

Reply #557236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not a long weekend Anon

Reply #557237 | Report this post

Chilled  
Years ago

May not have been advertised well but its a great concept. No finals so the teams can focus on bonding and teamwork.

Reply #557264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the tournament you refer to? http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-10467-0-0-0

Reply #557303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't realise there was a webpage but yes, that would be it

Reply #557333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is crazy. Very few chances to get done time off over 12 months and now clubs like Frsnkston force some parents to spend the Cup weekend over the other side of the bay. It's kids sport - ease up.

Reply #557708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who organised this tournament the VJBL or Frankston, Knox or Werribee or all of them?

Reply #558292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VJBL didn't organise it. We have four weeks of practice games on Friday nights so hardly need a tournament when we can give families a weekend off before the real stuff starts.

Reply #558415 | Report this post

SF6  
Years ago

Glad my club chose to play the VJBL practice games, and not have to travel to Werribee for the weekend.

Reply #558417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston probably organised - think they are hoping to get some new signatures on their petition for the new court!!
Crazy idea - give the parents a break and play the 4 x Friday night practise games.

Reply #558636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if the VJBL did not organize it it must have been organized by Werribee,Knox and Frankston?
I have looked on the clubs websites and ONLY Werribbee are mentioning it!! Does anyone know if other clubs have teams entered the tournament? Or is it just going to be the three clubs playing each other?????

Reply #558753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody cares, move on

Reply #558757 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why don't you go online and look for yourself champ.

Reply #558765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a classic non topic about nothing

Reply #558772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it looks like this "ghost tournament" is just a load of shit!!! Hold all the games at Werribbee!!!!

Reply #558773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox, Frankston, Werribee, Bulleen, Keilor, Altona, participating to name a few. Personally I'm happy with it, we give up 1 weekend and get 4 Friday nights off from traveling all over town playing practice matches.

Reply #558779 | Report this post

Parent 2  
Years ago

I'll give up one weekend for 4 Friday nights off of driving around Melbourne etc.. for practice games also

Reply #558789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All hail to them for trying to get a tournament up and running but I agree with some that this is probably one too many.

A quick look at the 18 boy's fixture and it's not that well represented, W/sea1, Werribee1, DV1, Werribee2, Collingwood3, Dandenong5, Frankston3, Knox 2.

Two of the clubs running the tournament in Frankston and Knox haven't even entered their number 1 team.

The 18 girls is much better with Frankston2, Werribee2, Frankston1, Werribee, Knox 2, Altona1 and Knox 3.

I hope teams get some value out of it, but personally I'd rather play the practice games and have the long weekend off, it's a routine the kids are used to as are the parents.

Reply #558823 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754