Isaac
Years ago

Kings gearing up for replacement?

Shane Heal on Twitter:

With players being cut from NBA rosters daily, expect the Sydney Kings to sign someone pretty quickly.

Topic #38290 | Report this topic

Jick  
Years ago

Booting Thornton or injury replacement for Childress?

Reply #557756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress could be out for a long time. Cya.

Reply #557758 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Why dont they boot thornton and sign a big name on the combined childress & Thornton salary

Reply #557765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Detroit just waived Cartier Martin who had a fully guaranteed salary (hint, hint) and the Knicks just waived the Antetokounmpo brother too.

Reply #557768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replacing Thorton is one answer to the kings currents woes but there is no excuse for not playing with passion or fight! That falls back on the coach!

They are a team with ZERO direction on the court! NO Leadership from anyone!

Players body language is negative which is an indication they are on a different page worrying about themselves instead of the team.

Cotter is finding out the hard way coaching in the nbl is very different to coaching 15-17yr old juniors.

Have the players turned on the mute button when cotter is speaking?

Reply #557787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter = Marty Clarke 2.0

Reply #557799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robilliard v2

Reply #557804 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

"Sources: Josh Childress (@JChillin) has a slight fracture (boxer's fracture) in his right hand. He's expected to miss 2-4 weeks (4-6 games)

In the scheme of things not that big a deal. He will be back mid-season hopefully and could facilitate a late season push to the play offs.

Thornton, however, isn't worth keeping. He is one of a few underperforming imports who should pack their bags.

Reply #557805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A push for play offs. You can't be serious.

Reply #557806 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Melb and Adl twice as well as Townsville and NZ in the next 4 weeks.

Reply #557814 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

No way he's back in 2 weeks with boxer's fracture of shooting hand. Maybe 4, more likely 6 weeks. i would have thought.

Reply #557817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the way it shatters that matters!

Reply #557819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've done the boxers fracture numerous times...it's at least 6 weeks. Even then your tendons are tight and joints sore...your hand just doesn't operate how you want it to.

Reply #557885 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Sign Jimmer!!

Reply #557886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His foot still isn't anywhere near 100% and he was cleared to play. That's crap he should have already been cut. At least with the hand injury he will have time to get his foot right ;) Oh but wait, there's more... injuries

Reply #557888 | Report this post

Jeremy Smith was an import they were having a look at for a bit. 6"3 guard who can handle it and create a bucket out of absolutely nothing and plays a bit of D too.

Didn't think Id say it. But Hes a better pick than the NBA drafted Thornton.....

Reply #557927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings looking to replace both...

Reply #557944 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

That's what I heard ^

Reply #557951 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

antonie mason make it happen!

Reply #557956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THanks Tim Hudson for nothing.

Reply #557957 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Replacing Thorton is one answer to the kings currents woes but there is no excuse for not playing with passion or fight! That falls back on the coach!

That whole post was worth quoting though... They need to make a move on Thornton at the very least. I can't see Chill coming back within 5 games and even then he won't be able to play playoffs in case the Thornton and Cotter replacements are miracles and other teams have dips and we somehow make the playoffs, but it shouldn't really be about that it should just be about getting wins, keeping sponsors and fans for the last half of this season out at Homebush and the coming season as that's gonna be a struggle. I couldn't even give my free tickets away at work, they pretty much laughed at me, but if they were winning and getting in the sports sections, they would be lining up to take them...

I'd rather go out on the Thornton replacement as if there's any chance to get Chill back, we need to take it. He played a better game than anyone else with a broken hand for half the game and is the most recognisable player on the team and is still a drawcard, not to mention a great guy to have around... That's worth more than most of the Yanks we've had on the Kings since coming back into the league...

Reply #558008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I couldn't even give my free tickets away at work, they pretty much laughed at me"

#sydneykingsbasketball

Reply #558009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive seen a couple Sydney games and I've paid close attention to there timeouts and the players seem to be tuning Cotter out, that is a recipe for disaster. I like him as a coach, but if theres no buy in then he won't last the season regardless of who they pick up.

However i do agree with up top, if theres no desperation and leadership within the group they are done.

Reply #558257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame that cotter inherited the LL crew from the WS crew. Until the WS connection gone they are screwed. FULLSTOP.

Reply #558263 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"Ive seen a couple Sydney games and I've paid close attention to there timeouts and the players seem to be tuning Cotter out, that is a recipe for disaster. I like him as a coach"

I've watched all the King's games since 1988, and at the moment:
1. the players look out of condition from the off-season. They play well in the first quarter, then the shots get shorter and the defence is wanting. Other teams are ripped and fit.
2. offence: they look lost on court, the coach is benching players that are hot, the offence is spacing and shooting the 3, so there is no offensive rebounding, there are no cutters, no chemistry, everyone is standing around. There are no set plays to get the open 3, get a point in the paint, get a successful inbound play, or beat the press.
3. the defence is legless and prone to the fast break.
4. There appears to be no coaching. ie the boys are just playing free ball, and there is no adjustments when things go wrong, or to produce and a particular outcome.

We will be lucky if we're not the wooden spooners.

Reply #558295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could you imagine if they did cut Childress? Oh that would be a funny day indeed!!

Reply #558313 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yes I tipped this team for the championship in pre-season because:

They have Caddee and Markovic that should be pushing each other and bringing the mot out of each other... Added Carter and yet Garlepp had more assists than all these point guards. Caddee hasn't been terrible but Markovic is more noticable on the bench than he is on court.

They have Childress... Umm-maybe they don't

They have more depth for Khazzouh than ever before, Brandt was a starter last season and that should be invaluable... Brandt has been trying but largely ineffectual but I think this combo will be better by seasons end and twin towers could work more against Perth and Adelaide.

Plus

Thornton looked good in preseason against Perth even if he took a few bad shots.

Hill is far better than I thought he'd be

Prewster is a great energy guy and coach Cotter needs to instill more confidence into him and he should flourish

It's not all doom and gloom as Cairns are also further back than expected but they aren't making it easy on themselves

Reply #558325 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I love Prewster's energy, but he missed a couple of bunnies against NZ, and I think that's hit his confidence pretty hard.

The problem for our PGs is partly that we don't really run any plays to give them the opportunity to create something. Our sets are looking to generate 3pt shots off the ball for the most part (when not running the 'dump into Khazzouh and everyone watch him' set). I would like to see more onball screen with our PGs looking to get inside the perimeter and create something.

Markovic is a pretty good player, but you wouldn't think it to watch him float through our games.

Reply #558347 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Shame that cotter inherited the LL crew from the WS crew. Until the WS connection gone they are screwed. FULLSTOP

The Leisure Suit Larry crew? Larry The Lion? The sooner these Kings fans that are bitching about the West Sydney owners are ruining the club, need to realise that there were no other people putting their hands up to bring the team back... And since they've come back, where are they now? The people aren't lining up to throw money at the club, so while I don't have any Westie loyalties, if it wasn't for them, we'd have as much of a team as the Falcons fans do... Build a bridge and move on ffs...

Shane did more with less under a more critical eye and pressure from the wannabe owners... Cotter can only be reviewed on his teams performances and he's fairly lucky that he's had Chill's absence to push the losses off on, but no more...

Four thumbs up for Jumpshots comments... re: conditioning, I reckon they were the last team to start official training, well behind teams like the Wildcats and Taipans who easily started 4-5 weeks ahead of them... I know imports don't usually get into town straight away, but when they drag the chain, it's disappointing when you see other clubs with their entire team ready to go and you've maybe got three players just doing a bit of light training waiting for everyone else to finish their holidays and other random gallivanting around...

I was a big advocate for getting Markovic on board, I thought that he did well last season carrying some niggles, but overall his upside was a lot more. I don't know why he's gone missing and apart from the first game, Cadee has lost that spark as well... Last game the players took forever to come out after teh game and they came out very dejected, so I don't know what was going on, as they usually come out fairly upbeat (which actually pisses me off after a big loss) and from what I've heard from a few people that were near the tunnel on the way out the last few games, there are some pretty vocally unhappy players after a game, about what specifically was unclear...

I just wish they'd channel that frustration into better efforts on the court... I agree with Hill and Prewster, two unknowns for me, but I love their hustle and Hill seems to be a pretty good rebound magnet when he's in the paint... Prewster is nicely quick, but I think getting blocked three times just by AJ against the Hawks, and again vs the 36ers really has thrown him as he's missing easy basket and that fast break layup miss... omg...

Thornton needs to go, he's more than just a defensive liability and suffering from the "I want to get to the NBA"-itis, not the "I want to impress and earn my spot in the NBA"-itis... The coaching has always been lacking, but it's had Chill to cover... Him missing games just shines a much brighter light on someone who is outmatched and out of this depth...

Changes need to be made now otherwise it's not just going to be this season that suffers...

Reply #558350 | Report this post

djmojofosho  
Years ago

I concur Wook!

Reply #558385 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Diamon Simpson for the replacement please.

Reply #558395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane did more? Bullshit. He was a losing head coach who got into the playoffs with a 12-16 record in a year when there were 2 decent teams and the rest were garbage. He had just as much if not more talent than this current roster, and way more than last year's debacle of a group - Childress notwithstanding. He was a crap coach and terrible player manager who never accepted the blame for his shortcomings.

I get sick and tired of people who spout off revisionist history without getting their facts straight.

Reply #558396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess cotter highlights the lack of depth in Aussie coaching talent these days

Reply #558400 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Al Harrington is one option (again), says Boti's article.

Reply #558706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wollongong in first half of last year, Townsville in first half of 2012/13 and Sydney first half of their first season back were garbage, but there haven't been many genuine garbage teams since 2008/09, when almost half the league was garbage by about the midpoint of the season.

Reply #558715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that the same people that have delivered a shit product since inception?
Going into Homebush on the bottom of the ladder is a frightening thing considering all the major sponsors won't make that trip.
At least the Westies will be closer to home ;)

Reply #558727 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL Facts have just tweeted that on current percentages, both Sydney and Cairns are in the worst five all-time three-point percentages. Cairns is currently the absolute worst. Rough start!

Reply #558740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has to be mentioned that it's good to see Statman Mark Slocombe invovled with Fox Sports again. Something a tightwad Ten shockingly canned.

Reply #558742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti tips Al Harrington.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/struggling-sydney-kings-consider-al-harrington-to-replace-injured-josh-childress/story-fni2fmbf-1227584032542

Reply #558808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From that article "Cotter unfairly is under the gun, unfairly because he has had very little to do with recruiting for Sydney, most of it handled by club ownership and Kings head of basketball operations, Tim Hudson." Spot on.

Reply #558810 | Report this post

Childress just tweeted that Harrington is joining the team.

Reply #558811 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #558815 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think the coach is under fire for the lack of effortcaring displayed by the players when they were about to lose their 4th game in a row.

Sure a lot of that is on the players but the coach also needs to inspire them to some degree.

Reply #558828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754