Anonymous
Years ago

Wilbekin & McRae cut from final 76ers roster

Both didn't make it as part of the five cuts the 76ers made.

Topic #38307 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I guess the Kings should call Wilbekin then, if they can beat Cairns to it?

Reply #558601 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

NBA's loss is NBL's gain...

Reply #558603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodbye Starks.

Reply #558606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilbekin should be Cairns bound very shortly...

Reply #558607 | Report this post

scott  
Years ago

if starks is cut, does his full salary get paid or he is just paid for the time he has been at the club so far

Reply #558608 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Scott - just paid for time here. The cut off time for imports to be paid in full hasn't been reached yet

Reply #558609 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

When will that time be reached?

Reply #558610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pistons released Granger as well. Cmon Sydney, get the former all-star on board!

Reply #558613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any coaches cut to replace Cotter?

Reply #558614 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

God I hope so....

Reply #558615 | Report this post

Jason S  
Years ago

Wow I was calling for cotter not to be empolyed because what former players said about him about his lack of direction. It's not the right time now because who is out there to replace him? In NSW, Ben knight? BJ Carter? You have to wait till the offseason

Reply #558618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can at least attempt to go for Gordie McLeod, that is if you can convince Cairns to release him...

Reply #558620 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wilbekin to replace Starks and McRae to replace Thornton would shake up the league.

Say what you like about McRae's attitude, which at times is questionable, but at the end of the day the guy can flat out score. Which is a valuable commodity, and a lot more than Thornton is doing!

Reply #558621 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

You would expect that if someone signed a contract with an NBL club that had an NBA out-clause, they would then be bound by that contract if they wanted to come back to the NBL...

Reply #558622 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't think so,because they have to be released from that contract to sign in the NBA. However, clubs could have a separate agreement with a player that they will return if cut, although how binding that would be in the eyes of FIBA if ignored for an offer in a different country I'm not sure.

Reply #558623 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

36ers need to get proactive here too. If the likes of wilbekin head back into the league... the likes of ebe wont be able to help the 6ers cut it. Thos league is getting tougher by the day! Kings will make the biggest splash attempt youd say though...

Reply #558624 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not limited to just Wilbekin and McRae (who surely no NBL club would touch?), there's a lot of quality players floating around in the next few weeks.

Reply #558625 | Report this post

Snake  
Years ago

Wilbekin has an agreement with Cairns that he would return if cut from NBA deal. The mail I just received was that he will be heading back. Not sure as to whom was getting cut, but you would assume it would be Starks.

Reply #558626 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Exercising an out clause terminates your contract.

Not exactly sure what NZ did with Webster, I assume more of a gentleman's agreement that if he didn't make the NBA he would be welcomed back with open arms on a contract equivalent to his previous one.

Reply #558627 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can have a legally binding agreement, but of course it's only binding in the country it's signed I would imagine.

Remember when the Razorbacks had Steve Markovic sign a letter of intent, but when he skipped the country to play in Europe the ruling from FIBA was the agreement wasnt enough to prevent him getting a FIBA clearance to play OS.

Reply #558628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few pretty good PGs just got cut, Wilbekin as well as Pierre Jackson and Bo McCalebb. Would be very interesting to see one or more of those guys in the league. They would be an upgrade on a few PGs that are currently running around.

I wonder if the NBL could benefit from putting the season back a bit so that NBL teams could cash in on the last NBA roster cuts? Just a thought.

Reply #558630 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would think Bo McCalebb would be out of the NBL's price range, but he would be a fantastic addition for any team.

Reply #558632 | Report this post

Jabari Brown has been waived, and would rather look overseas than go to D League, he said.

Reply #558639 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I'd like to See Townsville or the Hawks pick up JP Tokoto.

That'll bring some excitement to the league

Reply #558644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wonder if the NBL could benefit from putting the season back a bit so that NBL teams could cash in on the last NBA roster cuts? Just a thought."

As Randle said in the paper the other day one of the big things going for the NBL is the season finishing in Feb-March as it allows imports to go somewhere else and squeeze another gig in which Randle said was one of the reasons he came to the NBL the other being glowing reviews from his friend Ayinde Ubaka about Joey and the league in general.

If so pretty classy really given the way he was sacked at the Tigers.

Reply #558645 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ubaka came back for another stint with the Tigers after the infamous change rooms sacking from McPeake.

The second stint was short lived, but from memory he was very out of shape and was only trying to help out the club because he was available on short term notice.

Reply #558646 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Greg Oden is available too..... why's no one talking about Greg.....................

Reply #558647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Because he's not actually available, as he's currently playing in China

Reply #558648 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Greg oden is getting paid 1.2 mil in china this season and has already broken his hand in pre season.

Reply #558649 | Report this post

Because he heard that Wortho is a bigger dick than his.

Reply #558650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Moron

Reply #558652 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

DUNIGAN > Greg Oden.

Reply #558653 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Supernintendo Chalmers thank you for treating my comment with the contempt it deserved. :)

Reply #558655 | Report this post

^ Moran

Reply #558656 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

^ Dunigan

Reply #558657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Chalmers GWB?

Reply #558659 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

No, that's some one else....

Reply #558660 | Report this post

No, I'm someone else.

Reply #558662 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Chalmers is someone who's always right.

Reply #558663 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

You're very funny Chalmers aren't you?

Reply #558664 | Report this post

Ah, my old mate LV :-)

Reply #558670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He or she thinks so

Reply #558671 | Report this post

hey anon, if you disagree with something I said, say so.

Reply #558672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans are going to be good again.

Wilbekin is another one who had a stint after the NBL season in the Greek League.

Reply #558674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree with everything you say moron

Reply #558676 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

:-)

Reply #558680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chalmers is a just know it all thats absolutely loves when anyone makes any type of mistake... hence why most of the threads if they go long enough end up off topic. We all love a know it all bully type...

Reply #558681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stating the obvious we all know that.

Now we go back to the topic perhaps?

Reply #558682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, so does Wilbekin slotted straight into Cairns lineup at this stage make them automatic playoff bound? Sydney will need to pull off a minor miracle recrutiment wise to recover, Adelaide are a bit of an unknown... youd think this move puts the Snakes atleast ahead of those 2 right?

Reply #558683 | Report this post

Classic! Two anons take the discussion off topic by claiming I take threads off topic.

Reply #558684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think they are top again. With Wilbekin coming back it's the same squad as last year (starters + first few off the bench) plus Wortho. So on paper that is better than last season.

Reply #558685 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Pistons released Granger as well. Cmon Sydney, get the former all-star on board!

I'd probably explode if the Sixers cut Ere and signed Granger.
He's my favourite player in the NBA.

Reply #558686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only new player apart from some of the DPs is Wortho. Very stable.

Reply #558687 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Mitch Young is new too.

Reply #558690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummm he moved to Townsville.

Reply #558691 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Ok, so does Wilbekin slotted straight into Cairns lineup at this stage make them automatic playoff bound?

Nothing makes a team automatically playoff bound. Injuries, for one, can derail that plan. Cairns had such a good run with virtually no injuries last year, it went a long way to helping them go as far as they did. It does, of course, make them tough as hell - but nothing is assured.

Reply #558692 | Report this post

In the games so far, it doesn't seem like Wortho is adding much to the team game. He's played well in some but he doesn't seem to be meshing well. I'd love to know his +/- for the season.

Reply #558693 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Lol... Yes, he did. For some reason I thought he went the other way.

Reply #558694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho hasn't helped a team win since the 2009 Dragons team he played on (and his first 7-8 games for United last year).

Reply #558695 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wortho was their MVP in the opening win over Illawarra. He came up with huge plays down the stretch at both ends.

In the other games, he hasn't added much. They already had a decent power forward in Loughton.

The Snakes have great depth, but the loss of Wilbekin has left them without any elite talent. You need elite talent to make top 4 and win playoff games.

Adding him back into the team would make them a lot better. But, the league is much stronger overall so I wouldn't lock them in for top 4. It’s still very early days and other teams may yet make moves. For example for all their troubles, Sydney are only 1-4 and one or two changes could make all the difference.

Reply #558696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wortho hasn't helped a team win since the 2009 Dragons team he played on (and his first 7-8 games for United last year)."

True. Although everytime I mention he is a passenger on here ppl come up with arguments against it. But in this thread so far people are of the view he is one. Very polarising player re: his performance (not his attitude and whining to refs which is another matter).

Reply #558697 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'd say Wortho and Trigger have been Cairns best.
If anything Loughton has been the one who's gone missing this year and, before the last outing v Melb, Torrey Craig.

Reply #558698 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

^ Sorry, Gliddon as well..

Reply #558699 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

I think we're putting the sausages before the bowel cancer. Wilbekin ACTUALLY being signed is still wild speculation at this stage, regardless of what the postman has delivered to whom.

Let's set back and see what happens.

Reply #558700 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the games so far, it doesn't seem like Wortho is adding much to the team game. He's played well in some but he doesn't seem to be meshing well. I'd love to know his +/- for the season.
I'd be keen to know Tragardh's. He's been pretty effective in the bits I've watched, but I imagine he's off the bench for a reason.

Reply #558701 | Report this post

Is +/- available on the NBL website? I started scrolling right last Thursday but haven't reached the end yet.

Reply #558702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grainger a has been, Oden is probably less injury prone now even with the broken hand.

Danny Granger has been waived by the Detroit Pistons.

Granger will need approximately a month to complete rehabilitation on a plantar fasciitis injury in his left foot.

Granger was unable to participate in Pistons' training camp.

Granger played in 30 games with the Miami Heat last season before his trade to the Phoenix Suns.

Need to get someone young, hungry that plays within team structure.

Reply #558707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think we're putting the sausages before the bowel cancer"

Bravo to you sir

Reply #558709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps Snake received both his bowel cancer test results and the latest import news in his mailbox this morning.

Reply #558714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns do miss Wilbekin but I think their problems so far extend beyond that.

Reply #558716 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Wilbekin ACTUALLY being signed is still wild speculation at this stage,

The signing may not have happened yet, but it is going to happen now he's been cut from Philly.

And Isaac, Tragardh was used off the bench all season last year as well. I think Fearne has always seen him as an impact guy.

Reply #558717 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Is +/- available on the NBL website? I started scrolling right last Thursday but haven't reached the end yet."

HAHAHAHHA that's gold mate

Reply #558718 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

"it is going to happen" - I admire your confidence.

"There is only sign or not signed, no going to" - Yoda

I'd like it to happen, but we will see.

Reply #558719 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Sausage before the bowel cancer tho!!!

Reply #558720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You feel for starks (or did he sign knowing this was a possibility?)

Reply #558724 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

IF Starks goes you always feel bad for imports being cut but at the end of the day it is a business and if Cairns bring in Wilbekin for Starks it is an upgrade and one which should be done if Wilbekin is available.

Reply #558731 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Do either of them have ancestors from Oceania?

What exactly was the issue with McRae? For mine he was the best SG in the league last season.
I understand there seemed to be several personality type issues at MU, but that seemed to encompass most of the team.

Reply #558745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starks looks a 16yo playing against men,not to mention his lack of defence. He'll learn from it for wherever he goes next.

Reply #558747 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I wouldn't judge McCrae from his stint at United, that whole team and coating staff was a ramble... Talent is all you need to know about, and he has plenty of it.

Reply #558749 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

McRae was very good with United just selfish.

Reply #558750 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My view from the nosebleed section, on Mcrae:

Pros:

- One of the best flat out scorers in the comp. Could knock down threes, could take his man one on one and draw fouls. Loves running the fast break. Hard to stop- didn't average 20ppg at a decent clip for no reason.

Cons:
- Occasional poor body language. Dropped his bundle when things went wrong.
- Only an average defender.

Another point:
- Poor shot selection. Forced it at times, to the detriment of his team. There's a fine line here- Tigers greats like Copeland and Goulding have been guilty of the same thing- the best streaky scorers all appear to force it at times. So in a sense you take the good with the bad, and hope that the scoring the player provides outweighs the negative effect on the team.

My overall conclusion:
- The cons will hopefully work themselves out with some more coaching. Experience in NBA tryouts has hopefully taught McRae more about discipline, hard work and emotional maturity.
- Is a great scorer, and worth a punt for an NBL team.

- Would significantly improve Townsville (replacing Jett- who has had one excellent game against Sydney but has otherwise been uneventful), Sydney (Replacing Thornton- who has been inefficient through his first 5 games and failed to provide the scoring punch they need in the absence of Childress, and will now need again), or Adelaide (replacing Ebi Ere).

Reply #558761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a related note, I'm glad ennis made the heat roster. One, because im a fan of his and like to see him get a chance at that level. And two because prather will get his chance here. Been very impressed with him so far and think he'll only get better once he gets used to the league

Reply #558763 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

"@Adelaide36ers coach @jwrightseahawks believes @CairnsTaipans will suit @scottiew_5 on Saturday #HardBall #NBL16 "

Reply #558777 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754