NBL Fan
Years ago

Al Harrigton signs with the Kings

Childress just uploaded a photo on his instagram welcoming Al Harrington to the Kings. Exciting times.

https://instagram.com/p/9W0W35EalG/

Topic #38315 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

The MAdvertiser reported this as a possibility late yesterday. It is definitely strange that the 'announcement' comes through a player's social media account and not the club that signed the player.

Good news however, averaged 13ppg in China when he last played.

Reply #558813 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Averaged 6.6 PPG in 15 minutes last time he played in the NBA (2013/14). Pretty decent output for a role player's final season, though stats seemed inefficient last time I looked.

Still, just the sort of signing that will help the league.

Reply #558814 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

According to RealGM he averaged 32.4PPG and 10.7RPG in 10 games in China? Unless I'm reading the page wrong, it's not exactly the cleanest UI.

Reply #558816 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Another solid move for the NBL image. I have no idea how good he will be, if compared to Childress directly, I dont think he will be as good, just a hunch, but will be definite upgrade to a depleted Kings team. Another reason to tune into the NBL!

Reply #558818 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Does any one know if he'll be ready for the Friday game, and the one vs United? (I forgot which day it was on)

Reply #558819 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He won't be another Childress just because he's not as versatile and is a few years older, but no reason why he can't be a dominant scorer and rebounder.

Reply #558820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cotter unfairly is under the gun, unfairly because he has had very little to do with recruiting for Sydney, most of it handled by club ownership and Kings head of basketball operations, Tim Hudson."

100% right And son of Phil Hudson the current chairman of the Kings and formerly from West Sydney. Tim being neighbours/best mates with Moose Robilliard up in Terrigal.

Reply #558821 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Official announcement from the Kings

Most experienced NBA player to join the NBL, they note.

Reply #558822 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

How long is Childress out for? What happens when JChill returns?

Reply #558824 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh, Hudson is formerly of the West Sydney Razorbacks?!? I wasn't aware of this, I must have missed the multiple mentions of it in every single other thread that mentions Sydney!!!!

On paper at least, I thought this was a pretty great roster this year that we put together. Only signings I thought were strange were Dion (which I'm fine with now, a couple of hiccups the past few games aside) and Carter, more due to the fact that we already had so many PGs.

Reply #558825 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ Ket; 4-6 weeks is the official timeframe, but with injuries like hands it's hard to say. Probably closer to 6-8 I would think. Harrington is signed until that time.

Reply #558826 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm not complaining, but it really feels like JChill has taken this league under his wing... Gets Warrick to fly down to Melbourne (to be critically under-utilized), and now arranges for his buddy, an NBA vet and arguably the highest profile import ever, to come fill in for him...

"Al is a good friend of mine and I'm looking forward to him joining the Kings," Josh said.

“He was the first person I reached out to when the team spoke of an injury replacement.”

Reply #558827 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Assuming Childress is fit to play in 6-8 weeks, can they keep Harrington and cut Thornton if he doesn't improve much?

Reply #558829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez. If Thornton hasn't improved in 6-8 weeks why would he still be there FFS.

Reply #558830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good guy JChill, single handedly bringing credibility to the league.

Reply #558832 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd be pretty happy with a Khazzouh-Harrington-Childress frontcourt..... :)

Reply #558833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep great signing.

Reply #558835 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Even a Khazzouh Garlepp Harrington Childress Cadee would be good.

Reply #558836 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't understand why the Kings don't just cut Thornton and keep Harrington for the rest of the year.

They have plenty of guards there.

Cadee, Carter, Markovic, Prewster is plenty to cover the 1-2 spots.

Thornton is surplus to requirements.

Reply #558838 | Report this post

Similar to the Wildcats not cutting Deandre Daniels last year, if clubs sign these rookies/second round picks with the promise of turning them in to NBA ready players but then cut them, then they have automatically ruled themselves out of getting another second round player next year from any NBA team.

Reply #558839 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

^^^ yep, this is the reason why I think Thornton is relatively safe. It makes it a risk though, especially when we are now seeing NBA vets came down under, rather than just rookies.

Reply #558840 | Report this post

I'm not saying its the best strategy or decision either but I can see why they haven't pulled the trigger on him...not that they really should be.

Reply #558841 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Can Childress please supply an import for every franchise that doesn't count under the salary cap?

Reply #558842 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

With these second round draft picks the downside is you need to make sure they are the right fit otherwise u are screwed as can't cut them!!

Reply #558843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is J-Chill an agent too??

Reply #558844 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

By all reports JChill is a great guy, when he was injured last season he traveled to Adelaide to support the Kings and my old man saw him in the markets having a look around. Was humble and happy for a brief chat, and appreciative of the well wishes he passed on for his recovery. Even when he's on court tearing you apart it's hard not to love having him in the country playing.

Reply #558846 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Replacing Thornton with a forward puts more pressure on their guards, most of whom haven't really excelled.

Markovic 1.6 APG, 30% 3PG, 4.2 PPG
Carter 1 APG, 19.2 3P%, 6.4 PPG
Thornton 1.4 APG, 20% 3PG, 13 PPG
Cadee 3.2 APG, 29% 3P, 13.4 PPG

Cadee has scored well, but Markovic has had limited impact and the other two aren't very efficient so far.

Might be that Harrington is only available short term? Or that Thornton's salary within the cap isn't as high as Childress'.

Reply #558848 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

As long as it doesn't send teams broke due to the 'arms race' of bringing in high-profile imports, JChill coming down under might end up being just about the best thing to happen to the league.

Reply #558850 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

JChillington is the hero the NBL needs

Reply #558859 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

There have been ridiculous rules in the past about injury replacements not being able to be signed once the injured player returns (Weeks for Harvey a few seasons ago & most likely Weeks for Martin this season) but hopefully with LK leading the charge he will see the common sense in this being a stupid rule...

If Harrington was available for the entire time I would have been happy to cut Thornton and force our local guards to step up in Chill's absence...

Reply #558862 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Rules exist for a reason. This one in particular is easily exploited. Only way it could work is with a Stern level of control over the situation

Reply #558864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont mean to deliver the bad news but once again Cotter didnt choose the player he wanted. Its another sign he will not be coaching the Kings after this season.

The Kings organisation is in real turmoil with lots of Chiefs and very few Indians.

Reply #558870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow maybe once he has finished at the Kings he could travel south down the F6 and replace Ellis @ the Hawks

Reply #558871 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I love all these anon sources (or perhaps it's only one) with their 'inside scoops'.

Reply #558872 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Harrington absolutely dominated in China - 32.4ppg, 10.7rpg in 38.5 minutes, shooting 52%. Not sure why he only played 10 games.

Although it's worth noting that despite his ridiculous numbers, his team won 2 and lost 8 in his 10 games. (In the remainer of the season they went 8 and 20, for a season record of 10-28). Perhaps he was the only good player on his team and thats why he could rack up those numbers (ala Carlos Powell that year), or perhaps his game is deficient in other areas?

As a point of comparison, Warrick played 18 games in China in 2013/14 and averaged 21.6ppg and 9.2 rpg in 33.8mpg, shooting 53%. Although, Warrick played on a good team- who went 20 wins, 14 losses.

I'm very excited- Khazzough and Harrington playing together is something I look forward to seeing. On paper, Harrington should dominate the NBL and average 20+ppg, but with the Kings guards having such a horrible season and the team doing so badly, it's no guarantee that he'll turn them into a winning team.

Reply #558883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The dilemma any head coach faces is the board and Hudson selecting the side again.
If, and it's a big if Goorj returns next season he would need full autonomy all things player related.
If it's not Goorj then the same situation will apply.
Doomed from the outset.

Reply #558885 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

People need to stop saying that Warrick is being under utilised. Majok has been a total revelation and is averaging about 56 rebounds per 40 minutes.

Warrick has played about 25 minutes a game (excluding his rest game against Townsville where he played 6 minutes, after United had a 20+ point lead well before half time).

Reply #558887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian if returning will be in Melbourne not Sydney.

Reply #558888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings won't cut Thornton otherwise it puts JChill's friendship with him in a spot. Also you don't want to risk the JChill tap running dry.

Reply #558889 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The big question for me is what kind of shape Harrington is in. He is technically coming out of retirement. Hasn't played a professional game since November last year.

If he has been working out then he should dominate straight away, otherwise it might take 2 or 3 weeks.

In his 10 games in China he scored 49 points and then 42 points in his third last and second last games. China's not exactly full of hacks- it's a decent standard so that is positively scary!

Reply #558891 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

to anon #558888 why would Melbourne want Goorjan, they're the best team in the NBL right now, so why would you change your coach if every things working? If hes coming back he'll be in Sydney

Reply #558895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not in the short term as you are right Melbourne are doing well. But long term Goorj wants to return to Australia and his home is in Melbourne, wife is from there and kids live there etc and he spent most of his time there. Laughing at your last sentence.

Reply #558897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjan to perth just putting it out their

Reply #558898 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@ Rex, I think the anon was eluding to the fact that Goorj really doesn't have any ties to Sydney, so if he was to leave the lucrative Chinese market for the NBL there would need to be other things to pull him back, which Sydney wouldn't have...

We only need to look at the Hawks to see what can happen when they hire a proper coach that has the connections and the wins on the board that the ownership has faith enough in to let them run the team without interference...

Reply #558899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Wookiee laughable statement by Rex.

Reply #558900 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Lol, my statement is laughable.... typical fuckwit anons. I don't see Melbourne cutting their coach or not re-signing him after this start. Just cos Goorjan wants back doesn't necessarily mean he will be back.

Reply #558907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will eventually be back for retirement and perhaps before said retirement one last gig in his home city.

It is a long term proposition not in the immediate few years. What is so hard to understand. Goorj isn't coming back this year or next.

Typical fuckwit with a nickname.

Reply #558910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can be assured Cotter will not be back as the Kings coach after this season even if they make the finals or not.

He's not happy because once again he didn't select Harrington to replace Childress. It was done between Hudson, Childress and Kings mngt.

The Kings organisaton is in turmoil and management is to BLAME!!

Reply #558911 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think what anon is trying to say is that Cotter isn't the GM of the team? Am I getting that? Maybe if you post it a few more times it might sink in better?

Reply #558912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it is quite ridiculous having Hudson Jr. with daddy and JChill running the show and then wondering why no success when you hire coaches like Heal the ex star bad track record Robilliard the next door neighbour and now the lame duck Cotter. How long until they wake up to themselves.

Reply #558913 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Who were they supposed to go with? Maybe it's lack of opportunity, but as far as I'm aware there aren't exactly a stack of capable unknowns waiting in the wings for a head coaching gig. Robilliard and Cotter are examples of guys who were given a chance without the head coaching experience. Hasn't turned out. Heal was a decent roll of the dice (like Anstey) but didn't work either.

And no, Goorj isn't a realistic option, either.

Reply #558914 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

Goorji to perth doing the rounds?.

Reply #558915 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

My question was directed at the anom poster who said gorji to Perth!. That sounds a litte out there.The only teams I can see him coaching are Melbourne or Sydney perhaps.

Reply #558916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Demopoulos didn't pick his team, he is just doing the best he can with the team he was brought in to coach.

I think only Doc Rivers, Stan Van Gundy and Flip (RIP) had the Coach/GM Hybrid job in the nba.

Reply #558917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Goorj to Perth is just a troll.

Angus you forget Heal player/coach at Dragons. Boggles the mind he then got the Kings gig and NOW SEQ WNBL!

Reply #558918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weird dynamic at the Kings now. I would say Hudson Jr. being given the keys to the car by daddy wouldn't be continuing as far as it has if Timmy hadn't pulled of the JChill recruitment. Now you have Junior making all decisions with JChill arranging jobs for his mates. Not very professional.

Reply #558919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not very professional maybe but far better than the alternative of not having Chill,Warrick and now Harrington in the league. FFS give the guy some credit if he was instrumental in getting the ball rolling.
Don't GM's have all the say in personnel decisions in the nba.

Reply #558920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well yeah I agree great for the league not so great for the Kings. Their fans are where the concern is coming from because since the rebirth no results to speak of.

Reply #558925 | Report this post

Fstos  
Years ago

So injuries are Hudson's fault. Kings were looking OK last year till Chill went down and most seemed to think their roster this year would have them in contention.
Now in hindsight it's not good enough despite losing one of the best ever NBL imports.
I have no idea about Hudson but have watched the coach in action and he just isn't up to it IMO.

Reply #558928 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Heal had experience as a player-coach, but that's idiocy on behalf of the team's front office. It's not something anyone should do in the world of professional basketball, no matter what the quality of the league, and doesn't give you much ground to judge a coach on, either.

Results haven't been there for Sydney since the rebirth, but this year more so than the others I find it hard to criticize the front office, unless we are talking about their choice of coach. Again though, what are the options here?

IMO, I don't care whether the coach has a say in personnel because it's not necessarily in their job description. Hudson & co. put together a good squad.

Reply #558929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, injuries aren't the Hudsons' fault but hiring inexperienced coaches again and again is.

Reply #558930 | Report this post

Fstos  
Years ago

Oh OK. I am with you on the choice of coaches. I thought you were on their case about personnel decisions.

Reply #558934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj to second Melbourne team as foundation coach and will build the roster from there. Wortho no doubt the inaugural signing

Reply #558935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that was always on the cards however the million dollar question is despite Melbourne being a hotbed for basketball would LK/Melb Utd allow such a threat?

Reply #558937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait til the move to Homebush with a few wins. Let's hope Harrington picks up where Childress let off.

Reply #558941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give Gordie Mcleod a shot with the current kings roster

Reply #558953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give Gordie a chance to pick his own side.

Reply #559063 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Been a King's fan since 80's. Cotter needs to go back to coaching 17 year old girls.

Reply #559134 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

How are the king's affording Harrington with Josh on their books?

Reply #559149 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He's a big dude for a combo forward, well suited to the NBL I'd think as he can play PF with ease. Not familiar enough with the Kings' roster to say whether he's a good fit.
Great for the league to able to get somebody of his calibre as an injury replacement.

Reply #559209 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How are the king's affording Harrington with Josh on their books?
With the money they're not paying Childress while he's out injured.

Reply #559210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has been out of ball for a year (even retired officially at one point) so not sure how effective he will be.

Reply #559314 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754