Matt
Years ago

Cairns' offensive woes

This season cairns are shooting a terrible percentage only 23.2% from 3 before today's game. Surely the loss of Wilbekin doesn't account for such a drop. They some pretty good shooters in Weigh, Gliddon, Loughton so is it the structure of the offence becoming too stagnant or not playing with enough pace.

Torrey craig always impresses me when he is on the court is it time he was injected into the starting line up and given a bit more freedom.

Topic #38326 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Without watching them all that closely, it would not surprise me at all if the drop is very Wilbekin-less driven. He could not only make the 3, but man did he make the defense commit something chronic, leaving other very good shooters very open. Starks just doesnt demand any respect from the defense...

But having said that, I'm sure Cairns fans will have a much better insight into what is and isnt happening there. Cant see them beating the 36ers with the form they are in.

Reply #559129 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I like Kobe's theory but I think they just plain suck at the moment. The first step is to get Wilbekin back in, I think that will boost everyone's confidence and they'll have a go to guy.

Reply #559142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson Sting & King Podge - what's the word around Cairns? Will Wilbekin be back?

Reply #559147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was already confirmed see other thread.

Reply #559154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

AFAIK, word is that he'll be back.

Reply #559156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It'll happen if it happens, nothing is this world is guaranteed... until it is....." - Podge 2015

Our offensive problems are basically: none of our normally high % shots are dropping. In all our losses we've taken more shots, a lot of those shots were good shots, but nothing is falling. When those shots stop falling we stagnate, players get the ball in the wrong place and take bad shots.
Think it's a mix of fatigue, confidence and Starks not being the engine that he needs to be to drive it.
I think we've looked a lot better when Gliddon and Bruce are running the show.
Wilbekin's D is missed noticeably.
Still we're 2/2 at home, challenged United until 3 minutes to go and were a Randell short of beating 36ers.

We remind me of how the Breakers started last year.

Reply #559174 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

^ We looked like last years team in the 1st qtr, especially with how we were feeding Burston and letting him go to work.

Reply #559176 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The woes are from the defensive end. If you can't defend you don't get easy baskets and you don't get flow into your offence. Aaron Fearne's teams have long struggled if forced to execute without a decent chunk of the shot clock. As someone e
We said, it doesn't help when you're missing lots of makeable shots.

Starks also isn't the high IQ player Wilbekin is, he is struggling to understand how to contribute in the system. He's also just not as good as Scottie, who couldn't shoot the three that well either but knew how to be effective regardless.

Reply #559222 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Paul is on the money, and this article outlines why:

Cairns need to improve defensively

Whilst the offense has slipped (down to a rating of 106.1), largely thanks to their historically bad three point shooting, Cairns' defensive numbers are also reason for concern. The Taipans currently own the league’s worst defensive rating (114.7) after hovering around the league’s best mark last season.

Reply #559226 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

spot on Paul & LC.

Reply #559241 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Cairns Post today: "With rumours of Scottie Wilebekin's return to Cairns still circling"

(http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/taipans-slip-to-2-4-as-horror-road-trip-continues/story-fnjpuwsz-1227586052810)

I guess those rumours could just be someone reading this forum. But, where there's smoke there's usually fire so hopefully those rumours are true.

Reply #559339 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

^ We looked like last years team in the 1st qtr, especially with how we were feeding Burston and letting him go to work.

And then what happened???

Reply #559347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Wortho?

Reply #559353 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

snooch if i knew that i wouldn't be posting on hoops i'd be running the Knicks......... into the ground.....

Reply #559375 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Weigh shows potential

Reply #559382 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I don't think they need any help with that Podge ;)

Reply #559385 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hahaha touché!

Reply #559392 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I can tell you on very good authority that's basically how the Cairns Post get most of their Taipans rumours. They re-write anything Boti puts up and recycle it as 'rumours continue to circulate that...'.

Pretty similar to how they write up "news" about Aquis :-)

Reply #559394 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Wilbekin is buying Aquis! I'm leaking that rumour immediately!

Reply #559402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is the Wilbekin signing going to be officially announced?

Reply #559403 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Wilbekin to Europe

Reply #559423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what

Reply #559426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol

Reply #559428 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'm now hearing it's not a done deal in Cairns after all. Europe the most likely destination on pretty big coin.

Reply #559437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dafuq. dog act he gave his word

Reply #559438 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hang on, are you telling me something confirmed on the internet might turn out not to be true?

I haven't been this shattered since Jeff Goldblum fell off a cliff and died in NZ.

Reply #559447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

word was he was suiting up against sixers on saturday. oh well put a fork in the taipans they are done

Reply #559451 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

6 games into the season they arent even medium rare. No one is well done yet.

Reply #559462 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

hang on, are you telling me something confirmed on the internet might turn out not to be true?

Everything on the internet is true...until it isn't ;)

Reply #559500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not come back to cairns you can still go play europe again short stint after february, perfect

Reply #559510 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hahaha Snooch, I'll see you at the next 'Chem Trails & Jet Fuel doesn't melt steel beams' meeting :)

Reply #559514 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/cairns-taipans-rule-out-any-return-by-scottie-wilbekin-as-clubs-2015-mvp-pursues-nba-and-european-offers/story-fnii0aj1-1227587442041

Reply #559578 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754