Wildcats views
Years ago

United vs Wildcats Oct 29

Here's my preview to tonight's blockbuster

http://wildcatsviews.com/2015/10/28/can-perth-wildcats-beat-melbourne-united/

Perth should be able to dominate the offensive glass, United give up the most offensive rebounds in the league.
United have shown a weakness against strong post players - Can Jawai stay on the court long enough to make them pay?
Can't give United open looks behind the arc

Anyone give the Wildcats a chance?

Topic #38329 | Report this topic

Jackson G  
Years ago

Always.

Reply #559188 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

United by 7

Reply #559189 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Warrick is out apparently which will make things a little more interesting. If the Cats can get Majok in foul trouble early they should be able to dominate the boards and be in with a shot.

Wonder if we will see Martin or Prather this week ?

Reply #559190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Damo and Prather= United win

Reply #559191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo isn't ruled out yet foolz

Reply #559200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure there is an existing game thread.

Reply #559202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL email said he is out doodz.

Reply #559203 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The email said nothing of the sort. It just listed everyone on the "recovery report", regardless of their status. If you go to the page on the website, both he and Prather are listed there as 'subject to test'.

But Schenscher isn't listed at all, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. And I still don't understand what's going on with Odigie, given he was never actually signed.

Reply #559205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrick is out which hurts, but if there's one player Patton can contribute against it's Jawai. On the flip side who defends Kickert on the perimeter? They can't.

Reply #559214 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say Perth are as well situated to guard Kickert as any other team. Kickert's a finisher, it's about your defence limiting the 'starters'. Can't wait for this game, shame about the injuries but both teams have good depth.

Reply #559223 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, looking forward to this one, maybe an early preview of the final series, but I am speculating here...

Because it is in Melbourne I think they can unite for long enough to get over the wild men!

Reply #559240 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Melbourne shoot as they have during the other games this year, should be a comfortable victory. Majok Majok will need to play big, foul-trouble-free minutes for them, though.

Reply #559244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing if Blanchfield can play down a few minutes at the 4. He rebounds really well at the 3 so him being able to rotate through the 4 while Warrick is out would be a big bonus.

Also good luck Perth guarding a pick n pop with Holt/Bubbles and Kickert v Jawai.

Reply #559247 | Report this post

What colour are the seats in the stadium? This game is stupid. I predict a four point blowout.

Reply #559249 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice TC!

This could definitely be a playoff preview. Barring injuries these two should make it, but there's such quality at NZ, Adelaide, Illawarra and Cairns (if they re-sign Wilbekin and their jumpshots) that i think its a bit early to predict GF matchups.

Reply #559253 | Report this post

Its SC, paul.

Reply #559256 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry Cuss!

Reply #559259 | Report this post

No worries GWB.

Reply #559260 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha! That's Clintdogg to you thank you very much.

Reply #559263 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

United by 10, too many guys that can light it up.

Reply #559264 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United may be 5-0, but 3 of their 5 wins have been very competitive matches, and the Cats are their biggest challenge yet. As has been pointed out, the Cats excel in rebounding and making their opponent defend around the hoop- two areas which have been weaknesses for United.

The matchups are exhilarating! In no particular order:

- Stopping Beal is the key- he's the Cats most important player. We saw this last week when he couldn’t buy a basket on Friday night and then put in an elite performance on Sunday. He’s the engine room of their offense and their most potent individual scorer. He is the jam in their hot jam donut, so United better stop him.

- And if Beal takes him apart then Goulding better be even more impressive up the other end! Fight offense with offense- that was the Andrew Gaze way, so if Goulding can go off for 30 I won’t be fussed if Beal gets 20. Bevo might be sitting in a hotel room in Perth, watching on and might think to himself that it’s what the fans want to see....

- Let’s hope Martin plays. Holt looks like a stud, but you can’t even think about calling yourself a gun NBL point guard until you’ve been defended by Damian Martin or gone up against Cedric Jackson. Tonight is the first challenge, Sunday week is part 2.

- Majok Rodman has excelled so far this season, but how will he go against the triple headed Perth Ness Monster of Jawai- who is yet to fully stamp his authority on this league, and that’s a worrying thought for opponents- Knight, who was dominant last week, and Jervis who might be the best third string 5 man in the history of the entire NBL?

- Knight and Kickert- two equally talented players with completely different skill sets.

- But, these matchups might not even eventuate- will Demopoulos look to protect the hoop and expose the Cats lack of outside shooting by running a zone? Yes, I know the Cats shot the lights out on Sunday, but even the most optimistic Cats fan can’t expect Greg Hire to knock down a couple of 3’s again this week? Another danger here: I find that running a zone makes it harder to locate an opponent, put a body on them a grab a rebound. This especially applies to players like Hire- who make a beeline for the basket and crash the O boards from the perimeter, and might find that easier against a zone than a man. But whichever defence they play, the fact is all United players must crash the boards with serious effort, every time. Otherwise Perth could dominate them on the glass like they’ve already dominated some other teams this season.

Very early days but so far these two looks like the two teams to beat. Grand final preview? Who knows.

Bring it.

Reply #559267 | Report this post

I apologise paul, my last comment was completely uncalled for.

Reply #559269 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Kickert is the toughest matchup because of the pick n pop threat. Cairns switched every pick featuring Kicks, but their big men are more mobile than Perth's. I'd still switch, because the alternative is leaving Kicks wide open at the 3 - not ideal.
Wildcats can bring in Wagstaff and bring Jawai off the bench

Reply #559270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Picking Melbourne and hoping im wrong like against the hawks but Melbourne are a class above them i reckon

Reply #559271 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Especially with no Warrick, Perth are going to need Jawai to stay out of foul trouble, because Jawai on the block is the one big advantage they have. Majok is a great rebounder, but neither he or Kickert can defend Jawai on the block.

Reply #559273 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Haha! That's Clintdogg to you thank you very much."

Hahaha I'm tipping the Blowout Troll to be Clintdogg

Reply #559301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the amount of injury worries the Cats have, I heard James Crawford is making a comeback for Saturdays game.

Reply #559316 | Report this post

oh that was so funny

Reply #559318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that.

Reply #559319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I LOLed

Reply #559321 | Report this post

Air Down Here  
Years ago

This hardball stuff is taking it's toll on players to be honest, so many injuries already to key players..

Reply #559324 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

Damian Martin is confirmed to suit up. Prather still out.

Cats by 7

JasonC

Reply #559354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah bwoooii

Reply #559357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United to sag off Damian Martin and help a lot on Jawai.

United by 5+

Reply #559361 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Last time Damo had a leg related injury he did nothing but shoot 3's in a moon boot. He shot around the 40% mark and the Cats won a championship.

I wonder if he has been jacking up 3's during this injury...if so go ahead, sag off him :P

Reply #559374 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

:O

JasonC in the house!
That's a bad omen if ever I saw one.
United by 20!
:p

Reply #559381 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Interested what the starting 5 will be. Could go with Beal at SF, Martin, Kenny backcourt. I'd think about starting Wagstaff at SF, And really crash the boards - Blanchfield isn't a threat to beat him off the dribble.

Reply #559390 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny starts for the next couple of games with Martin coming off the bench for about 20-25mins a game.

Wagstaff deserves to be starting over Redhage also.
Kenny, Beal, Wagstaff, Knight, Jawai

Reply #559408 | Report this post

I agree that Redhage hasn't been in starting five form but I cringe when I hear someone say that Wagstaff deserves the starting spot.

Reply #559418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United by 16

Reply #559419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are about to face a real team albeit without their import(Prather) to see where they stand.

Reply #559432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live scoreboard is down again

Reply #559439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homocide is comming

Reply #559441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morons running the live score again

Reply #559442 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Two very soft fouls on Shawn. Very soft. Didn't even touch him.

Reply #559444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not watching game, but highly doubt Redhage didn't not touch anyone haha

Reply #559445 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Refs. Put your whistles away.

Reply #559446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

home town refs

Reply #559448 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Redhage did not get touched at all with his second foul.

Reply #559449 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What an effort by Majok!

Reply #559450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage showing no discipline fouling out a lot lately

Reply #559452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those bogus fouls were downright farsical

Reply #559454 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This has been an awesome first quarter.

Except the Reffing.

I understand the concept. Calling it like this leads to high scoring bball. LK might have made a directive to that effect. But they need to adjust the pendulum back a bit towards the other direction and let them play a little bit.

Reply #559455 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perth play a pretty damn good quarter and find themselves down 6.

The talent on this United team is crazy. They stroke the 3 ball so damn well that they can build leads so effortlessly.

Reminds me of the All Blacks ;)

Reply #559456 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anyone able to post a score update? Live stats is not working nor is score appearing on NBL front page.

Thanks

Reply #559457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats are facing a real team.

Reply #559458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're a lot more appealing on the eye than Perth too, as far as teams that have dominated the past few seasons. A lot more.

Reply #559459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

28-24 United 2nd quarter.

Reply #559460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth grinding their way

Reply #559461 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Refs are really going for Melbourne tonight.

Reply #559464 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I refuse to use what happens or doesn't happen to Redhage as a measure of the refereeing.

He throws sneaky elbows and/or is very sneakily physical - so why be surprised that he gets called for what looks like nothing at all. Refs are in a better position and have caught onto him.

Reply #559465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis is better then marshmelow man jawai

Reply #559466 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

live stats now working - thanks

Reply #559467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the hawks game all over again. Perth facing a redhot team but they will grind them down.

Reply #559468 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Another point re: the refs..the refs do a really good job of coaching the players.."hands off"..."hands out". They give them plenty of warnings.

So although some calls look soft, what gets forgotten or lost is that generally the refs have given them a warning and told them to get their hands out.

Players should also take responsibility. Its stupid when the ref is telling them to get their hands out and they keep their hands in and then complain when the ref blows his whistle!

Reply #559469 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Corey has nothing on Derek Rucker as a commentator.

Reply #559470 | Report this post

Crive Nicholas  
Years ago

So am I the only one seeing the Wildcats hold and grab and push every single play? Yet United have more fouls.

Seems odd.

Reply #559471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB great entries good insight thanks.

I don't think Melbourne will throw it away like Illawara did, wishful thinking on behalf of Perth fans but who knows let's find out.

Reply #559472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crive we do but most on here are Cats fans trying to muddy the waters.

Reply #559473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans love a whinge, its always someone's fault. They forget how protected they have it out West. No excuses, yet I feel a heap coming from them and its not even half time!

Reply #559474 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Redhage got called for two fouls that obviously weren't there.....

...but so did Majok.

Goulding got ball on his first foul and his second was as soft as anything.

Holt got one in the post against Redhage where he barely touched him.

This refereeing is ruining the game.

Reply #559475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Perth not shooting all that well and Melourne hitting everything i'm surprised it is a 1 point ball game.

Reply #559476 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And I'd love to see a replay of Blanchfield's second, which saw him benched for a quarter.

Reply #559477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire is a very good role player

Reply #559478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just relax and enjoy the game folks, the reffing isn't THAT bad. Highly competitive just watch the boys slug it out.

Reply #559479 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't think I have ever seen Kickert not complain on a foul

Reply #559480 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon, free throws that's why.

17 attempts to 4. Perth have got 14 of their points from the line.

Reply #559481 | Report this post

Crive Nicholas  
Years ago

My biggest issue is the non-calls Perth get away with

They get the benefit of the "doubt" more as defenders than any other Team. Call the game consistently.

Reply #559482 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Melb missing Warrick's rebounding.

Reply #559484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once the human cannon-ball gets in better shape perth has the best interior option in the league.

Reply #559485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is the Widcats basketball ugly but effective. They grind teams down

Reply #559486 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

They should call him Corey "pesticide" Williams, his attempts at humour are toxic and who publicly acknowledges they find Adam Sandler funny these days?

Reply #559488 | Report this post

Crive Nicholas  
Years ago

Thing is, this ugly, grind, foul all damn game is not a good product to watch.

Reply #559489 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

I think the fresher United will more then likely run over the Cats in the last quarter. As for the refs? It is not anywhere as bad as some here are carrying on about.

Reply #559490 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

I don't think Jawai can get any quicker. I think he is at his prime right now. He has had weeks to get fit and I think he is trying his best at this point in time.

What we saw in Cairns was many moons ago and doubt he will get back to that because he is much older these days.

Reply #559491 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Incredible contest. As I've said- apart from the reffing.

Great to see guys like Tomlinson, Hadzi and Hill all nailing three's and playing a role. Holt has handled Perth's pressure, apart from that one ugly turnover, very well and I love his dual ability to weave to the hoop and/or pull up for a 3.

The story of the game for me though is...MAJOK MAJOK!!!! Love it.

(Too bad the refs sent him off the court with two non fouls).

Jawai is doing what I suspected he might- finally have a good game and take advantage of his size advantage. Feeling ok about the $2 I put on him to top score at odds of 21....

Great game. Bring on second half.

Reply #559492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK will stamp it out, that's why already since last season the game has gone back to high scoring.

Still a bit to work on and it will be hard for the Wildcats to adjust but the time has come.

Reply #559493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's tommy Greer?

Reply #559494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still a bit of work to be done to stamp it out (the ugly ball) but once it is it will be hard for the Wildcats to adjust. The time is coming.

Reply #559496 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

I'm sure the 106 points in the Hawks game showed Perth can more then adjust.

Reply #559499 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Interesting 1st Half.

Jawai getting great position but finishing at a low %

Phantom fouls on key people for Mel.

Then lots of contact let go on ball handlers, which plays right into what Per want to do. Every one knows they want to ugly it up. Yet they are allowed to do it. Why?

Be interesting to see what Bubbles does in the 2nd half after having to sit for a soft 2nd foul.

Reply #559501 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Aiight?

Reply #559502 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Don't know about that foul on Majok....

Reply #559505 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

AIIIIIGHT!!!!

There's a drinking game somewhere there.

Reply #559506 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Memo Larry:

The NBA season started yesterday.

Get these refs in order if you want people to keep watching NBL right now.

Reply #559509 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

NBL Coaching Drinking Game:

1) Demopoulos patent "AIIIGHT": 1 shot
2) Coach says 'sh!t' live in huddle: 1 shot
3) Coach says 'f!ck' live in huddle: 2 shots
4) Homicide Williams tells you to 'belie' dat': 1 shot

Reply #559511 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Goulding playing like this, good luck stopping that.

Reply #559512 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Why is it when the United score the commentator Dwayne Russell goes off as if he getting blown by 3 hot woman, yet the Wildcats score or do something he acts as if he is at a funeral?

Reply #559515 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Goulding is like the JR Smith of the NBL, that year with the Knicks. 'No JR, no JR... Yes!'

Reply #559516 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Not sure if I like Corey Williams as a commentator. Seems to be a little bit of bias about him also.

Reply #559517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wtf is belie dat

AIIIIIIGHT

Reply #559518 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ anon 9515: prob because Melb's shots are threes, fastbreaks, or step back Js.

Reply #559519 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

'you better believe that'

Reply #559520 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jawai was in the paint for 5+ seconds on that last play when he just scored.

I got money on him to top score, so I don't mind so much but come on refs....

Reply #559522 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Majok gets his 4th.

Finally gets called for a foul that he actually committed.....

Reply #559523 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

No offense to redhage, but he looks done.

Reply #559524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO Redhage already looked done last season probably should of retired then. but gotta get dat money one more time

Reply #559527 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ Homicide... refs coaches can get away with the blue language, but not the commentators....

Reply #559528 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Twice!

Reply #559529 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne's players are actually trying to box out, there's two problems:

1. They just arent very good at it.

2. When the ball does go up, and they've already made half an attempt to find their man, they just don't go for the ball with enough intent. I believe they call this "effort" , "Hustle" and "energy".

Reply #559530 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth are the best rebounding team in the league, that's the real issue. Most teams have a couple of guys who hit the glass, but Perth have 3 or 4 on the court at any one time.

Reply #559531 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I had to laugh at the holding foul on Redhage in q1. I thought, "who would hold an old coge like?"

Reply #559532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey's commentating career?
Homicide?

Reply #559533 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Look at Jawai holding and pushing Patton on that last play.

Reply #559534 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

United have so many extra gears... going to be hard to knock off if they stay healthy.

Reply #559535 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You haven't really joined the NBL until you've faced the pressure and grind of the Wildcats.

So far Holt and Majok are doing very well.

Let's see if they can keep their lead, unlike the Hawks on Sunday.

Reply #559536 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Somehow Jawai doesn't have a block to his name. Pretty sure I saw him destroy Kickert once.

Reply #559537 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

AngusH,

Also take a shot every time Gleeson holds his hands out and complains at a ref's call. Another shot for any reference to CG43 or Dolla (cringe). Also finish your vessel each time they show Archie Thompson in the crowd ;)

On a serious note i think the way to nullify Martin's defensive impact is to push the ball. In the half court set he is so good at "jamming" players up. Holt has used the trans/semi trans to attack him and free space up.

Reply #559538 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I don't know, what's wrong with 'Homicide'?

They aren't rebounding and it's pissing him orff, show me something man, I love it, so colourful...

Dwayno on the other hand thinks Jackson is scared out there, really, wake up Russel, he ain't scared he is actually doing his hardest!

Perth need more scure outside shooting and Beal to fire to beat United...

Reply #559539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's bettre?
Holt or willbekin?

Reply #559540 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Liking Homicide's praise of Tomlinson.

He doesn't put up big numbers but he is a decent floor general to have coming off the bench.

Beal is the key for the Cats. He needs to step up and his some big shots.

Reply #559541 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMO Holt. He is the more complete player. That's just my opinion though.

Reply #559542 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gotta say I do like Homicide as a commentator, PG-13 language and all.

Reply #559543 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Holt is a really good fit for Melbourne's style of play, but if I were picking a PG for my squad down the park, I think I'd go with Wilbekin.

Reply #559544 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Scary to think this is Holts' first real pro gig (not including D-League). He is only 23!

He has a maturity and level-headedness to his game that far exceeds his pro experience.

Understands his role perfectly and doesn't try to do too much.

He is probably one of the most efficient players in the league. Barely needs that many touches to put up some nice stats.

Reply #559545 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

This is one of those stagnant, no-sets phases for Melb... not really running much outside of basic picks.

Reply #559546 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

Beal wow he has been way off the mark.

Reply #559548 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

1 shot!

Reply #559549 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah Melbourne's offense has a lot of picks, a lot of isolation... reminds me more of NBA than NBL.

Beal has come to play in the last quarter. Bring it.

Reply #559550 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

Hawks game all over again. Perth turning it up to another level

Reply #559551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth now the bookies fav

Reply #559552 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

Mebourne is a great team but they need to move the ball more.

Reply #559553 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Nice baseline pass by Holt.

Reply #559554 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Blanchfield really shoulda hit Majok there.

Reply #559555 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Goulding hit the shot, but not exactly inspiring play-calling after a long patch of no offense/quick shots.

Reply #559556 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth are bringing Perth pressure. This is what United has to learn to deal with if they want to live up to their favouritism.

Reply #559557 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yes, more ball movement is a must.

Reply #559558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding gonna win this game....

Reply #559559 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Goulding flopping like a pro!!

Reply #559560 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm getting sick and tired of these 2 points blow outs...

Reply #559561 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

What a game. two great twams going at it.

Reply #559562 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

#spygate if MElbourne are watching the broadcast.

Reply #559563 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Both teams have a lot to learn from this game, regardless of what happens in the last 20 seconds

United- long contested two's aren't your best shot. Move the ball more.

Perth- More spacing needed when they give the ball to Jawai. Maybe more time for Wagstaff would have helped here. He has been on fire from outside this season. Why'd he only play so little time?

Reply #559564 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

OH......MY.....GOD!!!!!

Reply #559565 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Shawn Redhage!

Reply #559566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hah the Cats fans will be standing to attention after that Redhage 3.

Reply #559567 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Two AIIGHTS in 2 seconds, Demopoulos firing 'aiights' like his squad fires jumpers.

Reply #559568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you are not a coach, so much detail speak for what!?

Reply #559569 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Duno why players settle for so many jumpers these days. Attack the rim more.

Reply #559570 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh my lawdy lawd

Reply #559571 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

YES HOLT!

Reply #559572 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

BEA GOT ABSOLUTELY HACKED....and no call LOLOL/WHAT A PATHETIC RUBBISH PEICE OF SHIT LEAGUE

Reply #559573 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Why did Wagstaff wait before grabbing the ball?? Did he think the clock didn't start until he grabbed it..slight brain freeze there.

Reply #559574 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah on the replay it looked like Majok got a piece of Beal on that last shot... tough situation for the refs there, though.

Reply #559575 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

What a game. Holt was the difference in the in the end.

Reply #559576 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Beal got absolutely hacked...yet these INCOMPETENT fool semi professional referees let it go...probably to busy cheer leading for Melbourne...

Reply #559577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sagemania said "No offense to redhage, but he looks done." AS if
Great game and the question remains now who will United lose to?

Reply #559579 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wow. What a finish.

As a pure contest and a fight down the stretch, that's the best I've seen this season, including the Hawks game on Sunday.

These two teams could well meet again this season not three more times, but six.

Majok Majok is close to Melbourne's MVP. Honestly, if you take him out of the team compared to taking someone else out- it's not a stupid question to ask if Majok is actually the most important to their structure. If Goulding misses a game then Holt can do many of the same things he does, Tomlinson is a capable floor general and there's plenty of guys to pick up the scoring slack.

But no one else does what Majok does inside the paint and on the glass. And we saw that tonight. I hope all of those people saying Warrick has been under utilised were watching this game....

Reply #559580 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah Majok fouled Beal on the last play.

But after getting 3 phantom fouls and having to sit extended periods of the game on the pine, it was about time Majok got a call going his way. It was also about time Jawai got called too.

Although of course I agree that inconsistency from the refs is not kocher.

Reply #559581 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Majok played really well tonight, but Warrick is one of the best players in the comp, and would probably average 10-12 boards in 30 mins, while also being a threat to top 20 points.

Reply #559582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only majok could shoot from distance.
Only 22... Potential future boomer or nba?

What is the guys wingspan? Geez...

Reply #559584 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Majok fouled him? LOL..HE TACKLED HIM...but these semi professional referees were too busy cheering with the cheer leaders

Reply #559587 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Warrick doesn't play physical defense though. For example, Majok is better at denying the entry pass with good footwork while bodying up his opponent. Warrick is going to block more shots but Majok makes more of a consistent contest and uses his body better. I hope I'm wrong about this- but I doubt Warrick would do as good a job defending Jawai in the block as Majok did tonight.

As for rebounding- Warrick has been rebounding too but he gets rebounds because of his athleticism, whereas Majok gets rebounds because he boxes out. Aside from actually grabbing more rebounds, Majok's approach tires out opponents more and takes up more space in the key.

Reply #559588 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Majok's wing span is 7'3- same as Scottie Pippen.

Reply #559589 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think tackle is a slight exaggeration... He seemed to have got a piece of his wrist on that one replay.

Reply #559590 | Report this post

Ry Hobbs  
Years ago

Not sure what annoyed me more, the way the refs let the game get uglier and uglier as the game progressed or the woeful effort from Homocide.

Reply #559591 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, I enjoyed the excitement generated by this game, lots of drama and a heart stopping ending. Game had everything, controversy and tough play, yes inconsistent calling and frustration but we must be getting used to that by now...

I got a few things from the game, most notably that if these two can get over a resurgent Breakers and a high scoring Hawks I think a final series between United and Wildcats would be something else.

I am not sure who would win, but either team is capable of defeating the other, why not a 5 game final series to top off the new NBL?????

Reply #559593 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, he HACKED his arm, he fell....No call...

What do you expect from this rubbish league that cant even get its live stats working on its website.

Truly truly AMATUER league...

LOL, people get excited when a pension Al Harrington comes to play for the Kings....LOL

Reply #559594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne no longer highest scoring team was getting sick of commentator going on about it each n every game, hoping Hawks maintain their average from the last 4 games 97pts per game

Reply #559595 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

LOL @ anon. You mad bro?

Reply #559596 | Report this post

Cmon, no way the refs are going to make that call in the boss's building.

Solid win on the road (according to Homicide), despite the adversity Melbourne constantly faces (according to Bubbles).

Reply #559597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live stats work for me...
Why is everyone else having trouble?

Reply #559598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at anon being impressed by a 7'3" wingspan, like that is something new in basketball

Reply #559599 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

You could live with a small clip on the arm, but he absolutely HACKED HIM....

JOKE OF A LEAGUE.

No wonder this league keeps getting bounced.

Reply #559601 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Livestats worked for this game, but the TSV-ILL box only came up sometime tonight after last night's game.

Reply #559602 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Boo hoo to Perth fans complaining about fouls not being called.

Reply #559603 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why did Wagstaff wait before grabbing the ball?? Did he think the clock didn't start until he grabbed it..slight brain freeze there.
The clock didn't start until he grabbed the ball. That's the rule. Was a really smart play.

Reply #559605 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Great game between two good teams.
Got a bit messy in the lst quarter, but produced a nail-biting result.
A lot of positives in there for both teams, but in the end only one gets the points.

I think one of the differences was that MU fouled when they need to, stopped Jawai (and others) getting easy baskets and made him shoot free-throws, whereas Perth just kept giving up soft fouls.

One thing I like is that MU have gone straight out and signed an injury replacement. Hardly like for like, but he came them a few minutes and a couple of points.
Damo was injured for over 2 months and the Cat's didn't replace him. Prather has now missed 3 games, and nothing.

3-point shooting was shocking from both teams.

Knight and Jawai really starting to work well together. I think they need to use Jervis more to keep that dominance.

The heroes of the Hawks game; Beal, Hire, & Wagstaff, were very quiet tonight. Between them, 1 from 11, from outside.

Reply #559606 | Report this post

I'm not complaining. Can't shoot 35% from the field and expect to beat such a great scoring team. The bad call didn't cost the game.

Reply #559607 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

Despite it being a loss, Perth can take a lot positives out of this.Holt is a damn stud who I think will cause matchup nightmare for most teams.

Reply #559608 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think Melbourne are going to shoot that poorly that often, though. Missed a lot of good looks.

Reply #559609 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Why did their second best (??) Outside shooter in Wagstaff play so little? That surprised me.

Reply #559610 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

But oh yeah, I see what people mean, Goulding = "Flop King"

Reply #559611 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

Damien Martin Will be better for the run and Prather coming back will make the Cats stronger.This is a team that has played 3 games in 6 days and two of them were on the road. I thought they would not be able to keep up with the fresher United and despite shooting a horrid 35% from the % and 21% 3pt line they pretty much had the game in the bag in the last 20 second before the Holt shot so despite the loss it's not all doom and gloom.

Reply #559616 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW - live stats started part way through the second quarter.

Reply #559618 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Goulding can NEVER be the Flop King in a League where Redhage still plays, NEVER.

Reply #559619 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon you seem a tad upset. If the league is so poor then maybe find another league to follow? Cant win them all, perth have had many solid efforts from the refs over the past few years. Another close finish great for the league... pity it wasnt higher scoring but 1 basket game is nice to watch.

Reply #559620 | Report this post

Chilled  
Years ago

Bit of a shame to see all of the negative comments. The atmosphere at the game for a weeknight was great, with the crowd on their feet for the last minute.
Each team and the refs had their moments but overall awesome live game

Reply #559623 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah Dazz Goulding is next in line to the throne... but its still Redhage's crown.

Reply #559625 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Chilled just angry perth fans, anytime your team loses and its a road game they get first access to the thread. Passion even negative is great for the game. People actually care and its only round 4 or whatever... great signs.

Reply #559626 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Melbourne are nothing compared to Perth. Perth just didn't get the shots to drop. If they had Perth wins by 12.

Melbourne got mauled in the paint.

Reply #559627 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Melbourne are nothing compared to Perth.

LOL, no, actually, they're better because they got their shots to drop.

And won...

Reply #559631 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Perth wilburs... just dont man its not a pretty look.

Reply #559632 | Report this post

PW, when you have to say that your team would have won if they'd just got their shots to drop for several years, you eventually have to accept its because they aren't a great shooting team.

Reply #559633 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

So the Team that shot better would've lost if the poorer shooting Team had've shot better than them?

In other news, water is wet.

Reply #559635 | Report this post

sixers147  
Years ago

Always a good day when Perth lose. Well done United.

Reply #559642 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Problem is, Perth Wilburs, that the Cats did the same thing last week and lost to.... wait for it....The Crocs.

The Cats just aren't a great jump shooting team. No surprises there.

But a fully healthy Martin will help. Looking forward to next time.

Reply #559648 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(To clarify I mean a fully healthy Martin will help *with their overall game*, and defense on Holt, not with their jump shooting)

Reply #559649 | Report this post

Sirjump  
Years ago

I was at this game and it was a great finish - entire building out of their seats for the last minute. Great finishes like that can only be good for basketball in Aus.

For probably 5 minutes in the last quarter though (it felt like a lot longer), it was pretty miserable at the offensive end for both teams. I was there with a mate who hasn't been to a game in a decades, and he was asking out loud why United was running iso's for Goulding for what seemed like five consecutive possessions in the fourth. No one else on the court was even cutting - they just stood still and let Goulding shoot contested jumpers.

Granted, United came away with the win in the end but clearing out for Goulding in a tight fourth quarter isn't a balanced offence, IMHO.

Reply #559650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game, I do think though that perth will need to shoot at a much higher percentage to keep up with illawarra on Saturday, perth will probably be required to score 90 + points yet again. Just can't see the Hawks making the same mistakes down the stretch as they did in the gong. Should be another cracker.

No disrespect to other teams but can we just have Melbourne Perth and illawarra go up against each other every week, boy are they great games.

Reply #559670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"LK will stamp it out, that's why already since last season the game has gone back to high scoring."

Average score after 23 games this season = 81.5
Average score after 23 games last season = 81.7

Reply #559674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No disrespect to other teams but can we just have Melbourne Perth and illawarra go up against each other every week, boy are they great games."

After watching Webster and the Breakers dismantle Cairns,I would add them to that list. And after watching Adelaide run and gun last week I'd add them too. And once Childress comes back I'd add the Kings too. Sorry QLD.

Reply #559678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best part about it LV is that if they happen to play 6 times and they won't Perff will lose 6 times. Karma's a biatch

Reply #559690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire please retire

Reply #559694 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

With Prather back perth will get someone besides beal who can attack the basket something they lacked tonight.

Reply #559697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire showed that his shooting against Hawks was an abberation to my disappointment.

Also, Kenny should have jacked that last shot with 1.8 seconds left instead of looking to defer to Beal.

Reply #559730 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kenny should have had time. The buzzer sounded with 1.2 seconds on the clock.

Reply #559735 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's what I thought too.

Reply #559738 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If kenny had missed he wouldnt have been able to return to WA!

Reply #559781 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Really enjoyed that game even though my team lost. There are positive signs for Perth and that is they are showing they can compete with the best teams in the league.

Well done to Melbourne though, they made the play that matters. For those saying Perth should of won that if there shots dropped, you could also say United should of won comfortably if Goulding and Majok didn't get into foul trouble and Blanchfield's shots were dropping. Game didn't play out like that. Cop it in the chin and move on. Another great game coming up on Saturday. Dunno if I can handle another nail biter lol

Reply #559795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game to watch, and enjoying Melbourne's style this year. Only negative is that flog, Eric Hollingsworth getting involved in the players celebrations after games. His job is a physical trainer, nothing more, and after being sacked as the Aussie athletics coach, I'm amazed he shows his face in public at all. The game is about the players, not you Eric!

Reply #559798 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I thought it was a great contest.
Hopefully it came across well to neutrals too. It certainly wasn't high scoring, and it included a lot of missed shots, but that didn't make it a poor spectacle IMO.

Reply #559799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, an anon with an axe to grind, never read that kind of bias rubbish before... I suggest you keep your personal life to your Facebook comments rather than post these types of personal attacks on a forum #798.

Reply #559801 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Luuuc, as a neutral, it was a super first half, a brilliant mix of internity, physicality, skilled offence and good D.

While the intensity was really high in the second half the physicality seemed to take its toll, both teams got lazy offensively and settled a lot, missed a lot of open looks and the entertainment value waned. But the last few minutes were superb.

With both FIBA and the NBA, they both know many more people see highlights than full games. Whether that's the case with the NBL I'm not sure because they don't get a lot of love from TV stations and highlights are hard to find, but that game certainly provided a great highlights package.

Reply #559824 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

Can you imagine the Cats,United, Breakers and the Hawks matchups in the payoffs?. It's going to be a great playoffs series. Four equally matched opponents duking it out!

Reply #559866 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LOL! Blowouts galore more like it.
NBL: National Blowout League. LOL!

Reply #559870 | Report this post

Air Down Here  
Years ago

Time to intro Best of 5 Grand Final Series, more profit.

Reply #559871 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Remains to be seen what happens when & if Prather returns. To date I have not seen him do what the cats claimed he would, but he looks like a capable SF. (Although "small" is somewhat of an understatement.)
So say we get back to a starting line-up of NJ, MK, CP, JB, & DM. The problem remains the logjam of bench talent all trying to backup the 4 spot. (Redhage is definitely bench talent at this point.)
In some ways I don't mind Hire & Wagstaff backing up the 3, but unfortunately their 3-point shooting is on and off. Last night Beal was off too, and on average he only hits around 33%. And there's still nobody to backup Beal off the bench.
Problem is I suspect some of these "off nights" are simply the result of defensive focus. Opposition teams know that they need to stop Beal, and act accordingly. In that scenario you needed the "unguarded" player to step up, and we don't have the players to do it.

Reply #559873 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Defence was definitely responsible last night. Gotta give MU credit for that.

Beal & Wagstaff are both very solid 3 point shooters. Beal is always going to be a bit streaky, because he gets very few open looks. He's nearly always having to take his shots either on the move, under pressure, or from a long way out.
Wagstaff is money with his feet set or in rhythm as a trailer, but his percentages go down the toilet in a hurry as soon as he is forced to rush his shots.

Reply #559877 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"The clock didn't start until he grabbed the ball. That's the rule. Was a really smart play."

koberulz, yes you are right. brain freeze on my part. It just looked wrong/weird. For some reason I thought it started once it hit the ring.

Reply #559878 | Report this post

I've not seen Wagstaff rush anything this season. He seems to be doing everything in slow motion.

Reply #559881 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Surprised that more hasn't been said about the end-of-game buzzer.
It sounded when Kenny still had possession of the ball, about to pass it to Beal. Beal actually got his shot off before 0.0, but I can't imagine his care factor about it would have been high considering he would already have heard the buzzer sound by that point.
What was the go with that? Was the Foxtel on-screen clock wrong?

Reply #559886 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

AFAIK, the foxtel clock isn't synchronized with the actual game clock (I know it's hard to believe that a professional league wouldn't have it).

Reply #559892 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Here's my recap of last night - wrote some things about the two calls at the end

http://wildcatsviews.com/2015/10/30/perth-wildcats-narrow-loss-to-melbourne-united/

Reply #559902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmmmm......

"It would be foolish to point to what happened in the last minute of the game as the reason for defeat. The bottom line is, Perth had their chances to win but didn't shoot well enough to do so."

And yet.....this is what you have done!

Reply #559908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In his defence he never claimed that he was not foolish

Reply #559910 | Report this post

No, he didn't use that call/no call as a reason for their loss.

Reply #559911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want a call that decided the game forget the Majok Beal one and look at Goulding's flop

Reply #559913 | Report this post

DeAndre Goorjian  
Years ago

Still better than what I could write.

DeAndres Review: The Wildcats would have won if they scored more than United. They didn't and they lost because of that. The End.

Reply #559914 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting @Wildcats views, do you think Nate Jawai might have gone and sat next to Dollar Beal in the change rooms afterwards and said a few things in relations to the game?

Maybe some mention about passing in to the dominant big man when the game is on the line, or something along those lines...

Reply #559915 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even if the Foxtel clock wasn't in sync with the game clock, it still started roughly when the game clock should have started. Maybe a couple of tenths late.

I've captured the final couple of possessions; I'll throw it into Premiere/After Effects and see what timings I come up with later.

Reply #559916 | Report this post

DeAndre Goorjian  
Years ago

A shame the NBL doesn't have a feedback for fans who care about the game, who actually want to go and see the games or pay for subscriptions to NBL Live, etc.

Not one reply to any of my emails.

Reply #559918 | Report this post

I've seen Nate fire up a few times when he hasn't had the ball passed in but on that play I don't see where he could have got the ball. He wasn't in great position and the help D was too close. The shot from Beal was poor and he didn't seem to be aware of the shot clock either so maybe thats why he was pissed.

Reply #559921 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Maybe some mention about passing in to the dominant big man when the game is on the line, or something along those lines..."

You think he would have told him to pass it to Matty Knight more?

Reply #559922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The season is only three and a half rounds in but it feels like an internity with the quality on offer. Can't wait for the payoffs.

Reply #559952 | Report this post

DeAndre Goorjian  
Years ago

Again, loving the scheduling..

Next thing will be making the season longer. March Through September is a bloody long wait in between.

Reply #559956 | Report this post

Doc LeBron Hurley  
Years ago

They need to extend the payoffs to best of five to extend the payoff for fans

Reply #559958 | Report this post

DeAndre Goorjian  
Years ago

Teams to play each other 5 times instead as well.

Then Best of 5 for Grand Finals only maybe.

I actually quite like best of 3 for quarter and semis, some of those 7 game NBA series are so long..

Reply #559962 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754