hikikomori
Years ago

30 Second Shot Clock= More quality possession?

At the moment, with the 24 second shot clock (with the nbl's standard) means teams barely have time to get the ball out of their own half, and then pretty much jack up a shot without executing a play from a play book

With the NBL being a few steps down from the NBA, should they consider the 30 second shot clock?

Topic #38330 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

24 seconds is plenty of time to bring the ball up and run offense.

Reply #559228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about the NBL but definitely juniors should be 30 seconds like it used to be, and while we're at it, bring back the jump ball!!! The Possession arrow/jump ball switch is the worst change in the way the game's played ever, IMO.

Reply #559229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

24 seconds is fine.

Reply #559230 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Given the amount of fullcourt pressure teams play in the NBL, it's on the coaching staff if a team can't consistently get the ball over the halfway line with enough time to initiate the offense.

Reply #559232 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I think juniors shouldn't even have a shot clock to be honest

Reply #559233 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If they have a 30 second shot clock, the point guard will probably just excessively dribble for longer

Reply #559235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Juniors should be 8 seconds to get the ball over half court, then start the 24.

Reply #559236 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The only juniors I am aware of that have a shot clock, at least in Victoria, is at VJBL level or higher, never at domestic level. Maybe in a tournament and of course at things like Nationals.

So, at juniors I see no problem at all, interesting thought to allow 8 seconds then 24 in the half court, but too hard to manage one would think, officials don't always get the 8 seconds right and how do you manage something like two different time sets in one sequence of play?

In the NBL I have enjoyed some of the high octane offence and fast pace shooting style of play, when shots are going in it makes for pleasant and exciting basketball to watch.

I see no need to extend the shot clock personally, the main reason is that some teams are already over possessing the ball and running too complex an offensive set while others have got it together batter and easily get a good shot off from their possession.

Efficiency needs to improve in the NBL, not sure that a longer shot clock will help, the other thing is defending for longer periods will increase fatigue, by the end of a game it could start to become less attractive to watch...

Last thing, how will a 30 second shot clock impact on overall length of games, it may not suit the TV time slot if we start to extend the games too long?!

Reply #559237 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...better...

not batter, doh!

Reply #559238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #559257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the NBA should extend the shot clock to 30 to factor for how bored players get in the regular season. That way they can entertain themselves a bit more with other things before worrying about shooting the ball.

Reply #559265 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

i think juniors should have 32 seconds like in NCAA
why do we expect U16s and 18s to play at a mens game pace?

Reply #559274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I often think when watching junior games "thank god for the shot clock".

The amount of coaches trying to torture kids by making them play over structured crap is appalling.

24 seconds is plenty.

Reply #559279 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

if there was more time there would probably be less structure, because the kids would have time to be set and controlled
there would probably come a more college school of thought with "lets get into our set, but if it doesnt work its not the end of the world because we still have 6-10 seconds on the clock so lets move the ball and look for a good shot" rather than coaches trying to teach offence that has to go perfectly to get a shot they want every time

Reply #559290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, NSW junior reps introduce the shot clock at Under 14 Division 1 level and for some years now have used the 8 seconds in the back court, shot clock starts when the ball crosses halfway method. It seems to function fairly well.

Reply #559297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, it then reverts to normal from U16's. That rule is for 14's only

Reply #559298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30 second shot clock for 16s and below but really love the idea of the 24 starting over half court.
Juniors should have some time so everyone can at least have a chance on offence, often I have found the shot clocks down to 12 seconds before the 1st pass and then it's either chuck and duck or teams just run sets for the better scorers and only they shoot it leaving the others to pick up scraps and not developing them. And then people wonder why kids aren't developing in juniors.

Reply #559334 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

Leave as is.

Since I was a child, it has been 24 seconds.
My belief is, longer means less entertainment from a purely supporter type person.

If they want to reinstate the 12 min quarter, then maybe 30seconds is workable but then add on an extra foul per each player etc.

Just too hard, so leave as is

Reply #559336 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Maybe for Juniors, for any professional league that would be horrible. Leagues are already looking to go the other way, with the inclusion of the 14 second shot clock after an offensive rebound.

Reply #559343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If 24 seconds is not enough you are letting crap guards dribble too much. Shut it down.

Reply #559583 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Too slow

Reply #559621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, but they should bring back 12 minute quarters to make the score bigger

Reply #559745 | Report this post

hikikomori  
Years ago

RE Anonymous 745-
i prefer the 10 minute quarters

blink and the game's over ;)

"A quick game's a good game"

"A win's a win"

Reply #559750 | Report this post

hikikomori  
Years ago

also, you dont need 12 minute quarters for higher scoring games, all you need to win in any game is 1 point

It doesnt matter if its 1-0 or 1million 1 to 1 million

Reply #559752 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

24 seconds is fine, plenty of time.
I think where it becomes an issue is when it is not reset, but that's a whole different issue.

Reply #560026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The smaller the shot clock the better. If you've watched college ball with their 35 second clock you would know how ugly it is

Reply #560045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754