snooch
Years ago

Wilbekin ruled out for Cairns

Posted this in the other thread but thought it deserved its own.

Beecroft rules it out.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/cairns-taipans-rule-out-any-return-by-scottie-wilbekin-as-clubs-2015-mvp-pursues-nba-and-european-offers/story-fnii0aj1-1227587442041

Topic #38335 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Alright il guess il chime in before everyone else but THAT SUCKS!!!

Reply #559613 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That does suck.

Think they are a good chance to bounce back on Saturday night with a win.

But without an upgrade at point. I don't see them making the top 4. Need a guy who can finish, a guy who can score and win them matches in addition to running the offense. Like Wilbekin.

Reply #559615 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Boti sounded kinda sold on Wilbs coming back $$$ im guessing

Reply #559617 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Yeah it sucks... I had a feeling that was going to be the situation.

Let's hope Markel pulls himself out of his slump.

Reply #559622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has struggled of late with this stuff, but you can only publish what your sources give you. Prefer he published what he hears rather than give us nothing for fear of being wrong.

Reply #559653 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

This might be what starks needs!? But yeah sucks from a fan of the league point of view

Reply #559666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gutted.

Reply #559672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There goes Cairns playoff hopes

Reply #559677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is a dud now on the wrong end of news.

Reply #559680 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Boti got this one real wrong haha. Cairns can kiss playoffs good bye if they stay with Starks. Some said on here before that he looks like a 16 year old playing with men. So true.

Reply #559711 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I can't remain optimistic on this one - Cairns will struggle to make the playoffs. The biggest concern to me (though they could all be related) is not the loss of Wilbekin or Downer or the injuries or the FG%, it's that Fearne appears to have retreated back to his old coaching habits of 2013/14.

Reply #559760 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

retreated back into his old coaching habits?

Reply #559778 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Poor substitutions (they seem based on pre-scheduled game plan instead of taking into account the game flow), not calling a timeout when the run of play begs for it, body language on and off the court (more tense/pressured instead of relaxed and calm).

To his credit he adapted last year after being called out on it by the players. Maybe Gliddon needs to have a word to him.

Reply #559783 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

I can understand tense body language on the court when we're 1/14 and players keep missing d assignments. Some of the people complaining about his subbing patterns were the same people complaining about his subbing patterns last year even while we were on a winning streak. like Taylor Swift said, 'subbing pattern haters gonna hate regardless'. Note: i'm not suggesting that you're a subbing hater or a taylor swift fan Wilson. I don't see any difference in his subbing/TO tactics this season - with the exception of the Breakers game where Torey and Weigh's subbing were different when they were trying to get TC rolling.

Things always look worse and get over analyzed when shots aren't dropping and the L's rack up. It's also a lot easier to stay loose when you start the season with a 6 game winning streak.

(btw the whole 'the players/management told Fearne to pull his head in at the start of last season' in some kind of coaching intervention is an urban myth.... It's no doubt he changed his approach on a few things, as he should of, but Dr Phil and Maury Povich weren't involved. I've not seen or heard anything off court that suggests he's 'reverted' back to anything.)

But I think it's well established that we view the world through different coloured glasses Comrade Sting :)

Reply #559794 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Podge, are you still doing your column for the Cairns Post?

Reply #559805 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Only for home games Touch.

I do interpretive dance for away games.

Reply #559827 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Tits, there goes there season.

At least it's an excuse for a few boozy mid-week nights out. Although I'll be skulling beers in the car park after the second quarter rather than pay Convention Centre prices.

Reply #559889 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hahaha pack a couple extra for me.

Reply #559896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King Podge it was even mentioned in an article in the Post last season that mentioned players spoke to Fearne to chillaxx during preseason and it was paying dividends when they started on a winning streak. Obviously not a Maury type intervention but there was definitely a conversation.

Reply #559944 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

I'm well aware what was reported and what happened Anon.

Reply #559950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance they dump Starks for a better PG?

Reply #559953 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I think one of Fearne's weaknesses has always been his tendency to point the finger outwards when things go wrong, rather than perhaps being more introspective as the team's leader to work through problems.

Reply #559963 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

It was the miracle of "oops I don't have contract next year" that made the coach be civil to his players for once last year. Now he's banked the 3 year deal its business as usual of blaming the players for everything & missing finals again.

Reply #559965 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hahaha alright then....

Reply #559985 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Yeah I'm not buying the conspiracy. Fearne's done a great job with that franchise but he's not flawless.

Reply #560005 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

How bout cats release Prather and get scotty, play Damo off the bench.......YES

Reply #560011 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

spot on snooch.

(he'd be the first to admit that too.)

Reply #560014 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Someone else was saying that Cairns is missing a bit of stardust this year and I'm inclined to agree. I've been looking at that team and trying to find an MVP but I'm really struggling to work out who it could be. There are potentially maybe 6 people who are going to get up to around 12-15 points on good night, you get 4 of those guys firing, Burston and Bruce put in a few and you're going to win a lot of your games, but there's nobody leading them. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that maybe Cam Gliddon isn't the guy they need as captain right now. I think maybe he got away with it last year because they didn't really ever get challenged enough, and until the finals they didn't get challenged that much.

What they need is someone who can drag the rest of the team out of a bad patch, or get everyone fired up when the other team fires it up a notch. Gliddon's been too inconsistent with his shooting to do that, Starks looks lost and low on confidence and Wortho's the new guy.

Not sure what the answer is beyond everyone digging a whole lot deeper and hoping they turn a corner.

Reply #560049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to give Craig some offensive freedom and he will flourish.

Reply #560087 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

So you didn't watch the NZ game then?

Reply #560093 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

So you didn't watch the NZ game then?

He was good, but he also looked really frustrated at times. I think Fearne needs to bite the bullet and start him for 2-3 games and give him some really strong minutes.

Reply #560096 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

"I think one of Fearne's weaknesses has always been his tendency to point the finger outwards when things go wrong, rather than perhaps being more introspective as the team's leader to work through problems."

Fearny was on radio during the week and when asked about why the losing streak, he said "It's on me. I've got to sit in front of a mirror and figure out what I'm doing wrong."

No pointing fingers at anyone, no laying the blame anywhere else, taking it on himself.

And at what Scottie's agent started talking, no wonder he's gone to Europe and we were not interested. Starks took it to Adelaide tonight, he'll get there. We still run on a shoe-string up here, but at least we make a profit doing it.

Reply #560332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754