Anonymous
Years ago

Will the Cats honour Bevo and Lisch at all?

Sunday marks the return of two favourite sons, who remain very popular in Perth. The Bevo/Lisch era was a pretty good one, yielding 1 title and several close calls.

A video tribute during one of the timeouts or quarter time breaks perhaps?

Topic #38337 | Report this topic

J-dogg  
Years ago

Saturday

Reply #559721 | Report this post

I doubt the club will do anything but the fans will be appreciative.

Reply #559755 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

Perth let bevo go, doesn't he understand. We didn't want him.

Reply #559773 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Why would they ?

Reply #559774 | Report this post

Cam  
Years ago

No way, move on bevo.

Reply #559779 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

FFS Bevo qui, he wasn't let go. What a stupid idea people, cmon. Why on earth would they honor a competing coach and player.

Reply #559806 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

FFS Bevo qui, he wasn't let go. What a stupid idea people, cmon. Why on earth would they honor a competing coach and player.

Reply #559807 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So far our existing coach has one title as well and Beal is better than Lisch. Why disrespect our current squad by praising those that left us?

Reply #559808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not disrespect, Gleeson is sitting in the house that Bevo built. Guys like Martin, Knight, Wagstaff wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for him.

Reply #559815 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Tough main event on Saturday with almost a face Vs face bout.

No doubt someone from the Hawks stable will start some heelish tatics (Like a hard foul or eye-gauge) which will then turn the crowd on the hawks and generate some classic heel heat their way.

Reply #559820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They might get brief applause from the crowd but the reality is its Perth v Illawarra just another game of basketball

Reply #559823 | Report this post

Realist  
Years ago

The same could be said for Beal (and Ennis when he was here) @ 815. They wouldn't have come here without Gleeson and his US contacts. I'm getting sick of that comment. Gleesons been in Perth for 3 years and those players have had other offers but choose to stay under him. Every coach comes in to some established players. Time for Bevo and his followers to move on. Why can't they both be given the respect they both have earned.

Reply #559835 | Report this post

Because if there is an anti-Perth angle to be had, people are going to run with it. Its Kobe24's favourite hand to play.

Reply #559856 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Club can't really honour a competing coach and player in any official way.

But lets'face it, Bevo's a great coach and did more for the Wildcats than pretty much anyone else in the last decade, so I hope the fans give him and Lisch a nice round of applause when the Hawks team enters the court for the first time

Reply #559858 | Report this post

Air Down Here  
Years ago

Round of applause is good enough.. the gentlemen's sportmanship / fair play.

Reply #559859 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Ha ha Anon. Beal better than Lisch is one of the gags of the year. Beal just a chucker who lucked in at the right time in a GF series.

But in reply to the original question the answer is no. Just expect a bit of applause when the teams are announced and then it's game on.

Reply #559861 | Report this post

Realist  
Years ago

What did Bevo do for Cats that hadn't already been done? They were and always have been a successful club so I don't see what specifically you think he did besides the championship?

Reply #559876 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I expect Lisch to get a warm reception. Might be more divided with Bevo.

As for Beal, it's far from fair to write him off as a chucker who had one lucky series. He is forced to take more outside shots than he would like, exactly like Lisch was when he was here surrounded by perimeter liabilities.

Reply #559890 | Report this post

A fan  
Years ago

Let it go Bevo. If you were really that great, Perth wouldn't have let you go.

Reply #559900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch >>>> Beal

Reply #559941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo being let go was more Marvin being a prick than anything to do with coaching.

Reply #559942 | Report this post

Realist  
Years ago

No. It wasn't ^. Bevo quit thinking they'd offer him more to stay. Classic act by employees that think they're more valuable than they are. Clearly he regrets it and prefers to live in the past. Meanwhile the club has moved on and immediately won a championship. Time to move on.

Reply #559960 | Report this post

Doc LeBron Hurley  
Years ago

Meh Bevo. Honour me your greatest.

Reply #559961 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

Bevo left because he was applying to be the coach of the Boomers? He wasn't let go/quit for money reasons.

Reply #560023 | Report this post

Realist  
Years ago

So you quit an existing job because you've 'applied' for another one? Which, by the way, he didn't get. Who does that? Over confident people who think they're better than they actually are.

Reply #560032 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Realist you sound like Nick Marvin right now.

Bevo was out of contract.

He applied for the Boomers job.

He also wanted to continue Coaching the Wildcats.

He was NOT extended a contract offer, this was partly due to NM telling him "one or the other"

The Club then hired Gleeson, who co-incidently was allowed to go off on Boomers duties 2 different times, both during NBL pre-season.

Draw your own conclusions as to why 1 Coach was not allowed to do both but the other was, also costing the Club more money as they hired a replacement HC when Gleeson was gone.

Reply #560034 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

BA were the ones who said "one or the other". The Boomers head job is full time, the assistant coaches aren't.

Reply #560035 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Oh and he didn't "quit". His contract ended, way different thing.

Reply #560036 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

I was told otherwise koberulz but stand corrected if that was the case at the time.

Reply #560037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next season I expect all of Bevo, Lisch and Ellis to be at the Cats.

Reply #560040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because it has always been a successful club doesn't mean you don't pay your respects to those who did great things. People have short memories but don't forget before bevo the club had a nothing period of about 5 years.

He helped build this club back up

Reply #560044 | Report this post

Realist  
Years ago

^i didn't say anything about disrespecting a previous coach. On the contrary. Full credit, as I said I believe they're both equally great coaches. I just think the idea of honoring a past coach who is now coaching opposition is laughable.
Let's move on. Bevo=Cats history. Let's put it there and leave it.

Reply #560050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F*ck bevo, he's been ragging on the wildcats since he left!

Reply #560052 | Report this post

A fan  
Years ago

Will the Crocs honor Gleeson? After all, he's the most successful coach to have coached there with 5 straight playoffs.
My guess is he wouldn't want any kind of fan fare even if that happened. That's what I like about him. Bevo, meanwhile, would lap it up.

Reply #560053 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754