Jumpshot
Years ago

Kings vs Crocs, Oct 30

Can Kings get their teamwork, rebounding and defence together, or will it be another one man show?

Topic #38340 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Al Harrington confirmed to be playing?

Reply #559816 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You would think so- he's already in Sydney and they did a press conference yesterday.

Homicide seemed to think he's been training. If he's fit, watch out NBL. Especially Crocs without Schenscher (?), how will they stop Khazzough and Harrington?

Kings guards- you have one job- pass it to them....

Reply #559817 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

ie: Stop jacking threes!

Reply #559818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Cadee will take your advice!

Reply #559840 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Or Thornton or Carter (and I won't be surprised if the Marksman occasionally his a Townsville player with pin point pass out of habit)

Reply #559874 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

According to Kings facebook, Al is cleared to play.

Reply #559891 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Glad to hear that his geriatrician gave him the all clear. Definitely adds an extra element of interest for me to an otherwise fairly meh-sounding matchup.

Reply #559893 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

LOL Luuuc

Commentators are saying Harrington is better than Childress, despite his age.

Reply #559899 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Based on the following, Harrington could well be better than Childress. Ie: He could well be the best player in the league:

1. How recently he played meaningful minutes in the NBA- only 18 months ago. More recent than Childress or Warrick when they joined the league.
2. His efforts in China last year averaging 32ppg, 11rpg and shooting at 53%.

If the following things happen, the Kings can win the championship
1. Harrington turns out as good as I suspect he might.
2. Kings have the balls to cut NBA draft pick Thornton. This gives them Khazzough, Harrington and Childress as a front court. We're talking best ever NBL type of level here.
3. Cotter sorts his stuff out, the players listen, Markovic, Cadee and Carter play like they are capable of. The team gets going.

Number 1 is quite likely. Numbers 2 and 3 are anyone’s guess though....

Reply #559901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can't afford (under the salary cap) both Childress and Harrington - there is only 1 marquee rule.

Reply #559903 | Report this post

DeAndre Goorjian  
Years ago

Draft picks wont get the chop unless Kings aren't looking to go that way any more in the future. May also have an affect league-wide because of that.

Reply #559904 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Notwithstanding the ladder positions these two teams currently occupy, I am still looking quite forward to the match-ups and a closely fought out contest...

Hard one to pick, depends on who turns up to play hardball, with the intensity needed to get the chocolates.

Maybe Croc's can, just, in O/T!

Reply #559905 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Thornton starts playing like a draft pick, that's another positive outcome for the Kings and also leaves the championship door open....

Reply #559907 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They can't afford (under the salary cap) both Childress and Harrington - there is only 1 marquee rule.
If they demand enough, sure. But Harrington was retired; he may well be happy to earn a few thousand, play some more basketball, and enjoy a paid holiday.

Players don't have to ask for as much money as they could theoretically get.

Reply #559919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are friends and multi millionaires if they wanna play together I don't think what the kings can pay will be a major factor given both would probably be retired if not in the nbl.

If they wanna play for kings together they will

$100-200k paid working holiday each isnt a bad deal especially for Harrington who was retired.

Reply #559935 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Based on the following, Harrington could well be better than Childress. Ie: He could well be the best player in the league:

1. How recently he played meaningful minutes in the NBA- only 18 months ago. More recent than Childress or Warrick when they joined the league.
2. His efforts in China last year averaging 32ppg, 11rpg and shooting at 53%."

I'm not sure how relevant those two measures are to performance in the NBL. He could be the best if in shape, but Childress' time in Greece in high-level FIBA style comps had him well prepared for the NBL. You don't get that in China.

Reply #559946 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If we're bring guys out of retirement I want Jason "White Chocolate" Williams here asap.

Reply #559947 | Report this post

DeAndre Goorjian  
Years ago

Seeing Defence wins Championships, I want Bill Russell.

Reply #559951 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

In Harrinton's interview on ABC Grandtsand he said he will be playing the 3 spot which he hasn't done in a while. the interviewer laughed but had no idea what he was talkng about.

Reply #559964 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Looking forward to seeing how Harrington goes.

Reply #559966 | Report this post

DeAndre Goorjian  
Years ago

I'm predicting 30+ pts and a couple of dunks

Reply #559967 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Is Schenscher playing?

Possibly two former NBA "big" men squaring it off.

Reply #559970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone got a link for the grandstand interview??

I cant seem to find it

Reply #559974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher wouldn't last 5 minutes trying to guard Harrington. It will be interesting to see how Conklin responds, I can't remember a more disappointing start to a season for a reigning MVP before and it will be interesting to see if his pride kicks in matching up against a former NBA star or if he keeps mailing it in.

Reply #559975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats because Conklin isnt your regualr superstar MVP type, just the best of a bad bunch of players last season. Blanchfield an exception.

Reply #559980 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Grandstand interview:
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/grandstand/NU1587H169S00#playing

Go to about the 11:11 mark

Reply #559981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrington looks out of shape...

Reply #559984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for the link

Reply #559986 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Harrington looks fine. Rusty, but in shape.

Anyone know what's up with Markovic?

Reply #559987 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Refereeing terrible. Dennis always complains to the referees yet fails to realise he gets some very favourable calls.

Reply #559988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's this Dan Ewing spivz?

Reply #559989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actor on home and away.

Reply #559990 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ah not usually someone who harps on about the refs but geez they are keeping the Crocs in this contest.

Reply #559991 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Dat stat line for Conklin.

Reply #559993 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

"Get your head in the game" -Dennis to Conklin after that turnover leading to Cadee foul shots.

Reply #559998 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

That foul call on Cadee when Conklin dribbled it off his leg. Absolute joke tonight.

Reply #560000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is conklin the worst player to win mvp? No wonder the nbl didn't even bother with a proper announcement

Reply #560002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't blame the Crocs if they cut Conklin just on principle. They're not doing anything this season anyway and will probably shut up shop at the end of the season so just save the funds and punt him.

It might even send a rocket up the rest of them and spur them on.

Reply #560003 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs to release both Conklin and Jett and will sign Harrington when Childress is back and pair him with Nate Robinson, come from nowhere and win the comp!!!

Reply #560006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I thought my post was out of left field!

Reply #560007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How i despise rhys Carter

Reply #560008 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Harrington .... schooled by Jett
:p

Reply #560009 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Seriously though ... shame on the Cats for losing to these chumps. I just know we're going to really rue that one at the end of the season.

Reply #560010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Khazzouh far and away the best player on the court tonight.

Reply #560013 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Now the best player not on the court

Reply #560015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge gap between top and bottom of ladder, easy to see why these two are at the bottom, man cadee isn't nbl quality man that guy shoots bricks. Thought Townsville were the better team tonight.

Reply #560016 | Report this post

Another nine point blowout. This league is a joek!!!

Reply #560019 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Bad refereeing once again ruins a NBL game.

Reply #560020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where's Markovic?

Reply #560021 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I wondered the same about Markovic. Ebe will breathe a fat sigh of relief, Harrington is probs a little heavier...

Crocs showed up tried as per usual avoided getting blown out, pretty stock standard game. Cant see the Kings getting within 10 of United.

Reply #560022 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

And the second game in a row that the crocs would have won if they didn't have to play the first five minutes, these crap starts are getting rather old

Reply #560025 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Gonna be straight up, That was a SHIT game of basketball!

Reply #560028 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah wasn't too pretty, the Crocs situation with such a lack of talent is getting a bit tough to watch every game. They really just need one more sweet shooter to keep it interesting. Conklin bores the hell out me, so lacklustre.

Reply #560030 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Conklin is really struggling to match his MVP efforts. And the more he forces it, the uglier it is.

Garlepp looked a bit unsettled in the bits I saw, like he's struggling to get the opportunities he was expecting this season.

Who was the ex-NBL commentator tonight? Didn't hear them named.

Crocs are missing a shooting guard IMO. Djeric and Maynard are a bit of a double-up.

Reply #560038 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Consistently terrible refereeing tonight. At least two fouls on Harrington for being bigger than his opponent.

Glad to get the win, but only reason it was so close was due to the zebras.

Reply #560039 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

And that was Harvey on commentary unless my eyes deceived me

Reply #560041 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

@Isaac: James Harvey.

Reply #560042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ah, thought it might've been, but didn't pick his voice. Thanks.

Reply #560043 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, refereeing was bad tonight, but so was the playing, makes the game tough to ref.

Neither team played with composure, mix that with the amount of scrappiness allowed and it wasn't one to remember.

Oh well, looking forward to Adelaide v Cairns and Perth v Illawarra tomorrow night, should be two quality games (hopefully not six-point blowouts though).

Reply #560047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Should add, Khazzouh was superb tonight, he did play with composure and picked Townsville apart. Also nice to see Thornton more aggressive going to the rim, he looked good at times.

Reply #560048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still think Thornton needs to pass it more. A couple time big guys open close to ring and he launched a brick. A good coach would bench him for that.

Reply #560064 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

As a crocs fan the best thing about that game was Khazzouh is my dream team captain, 6 blocks nice!

Reply #560066 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Kazzouh's defence and block shots was the difference.
Thorton's defence and jump shots and decision making is improving. He does play better when the other players are cutting to key, when he has the ball, ie Harrington. The other Kings players just stand around when the guards are driving to the basket. So in a way, Thorton's effectiveness is affected by his teammates, as seen tonight.
The Refs need to be sacked. Harrington must be thinking - where do they get these SH#! refs from?

Reply #560072 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Enjoying the Khazzough show this season.

Meanwhile in Thorntons first 6 NBL games, he's put up at least 10 shots every game and still hasn't managed to connect on more than 40% on any given night.

Is that a record?

Reply #560129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no g in Khazzouh.

Reply #560132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An interesting story about how close Al Harrington came to not playing in this game.

THE time was 6:30pm on Friday night and it was still up in the air as to whether Al Harrington would make his NBL debut for the Sydney Kings.

The Kings' game against the Townsville Crocodiles was set to tip off at 7:30pm.

With just an hour until the NBA veteran was expected to hit the floor, he still hadn’t received his clearance papers from the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA).

Enter, Stephon Marbury.

"Stephon is 'Mr. CBA’", Harrington told FOX Sports Australia, jokingly.

“Between him, and my agent in China, they were able to get it done for me in a quick fashion. Steph is like the heavy-hitter over in China, so he was my last resort. I called him and he got it done.”

“I don’t know why they didn’t think about calling him two days ago to try to get it done, but he was able to use his influence to help; he called the right people to help get the letter out over here in time.”

In his 19-minute NBL debut, Harrington posted an admirable 12 points, three rebounds and two assists. He looked noticeably tired after the game; not necessarily from the fatigue of playing a professional basketball game, but more from exhaustion after a busy transition to a new league.

“I think I did alright, for someone who’s been sitting on the couch for the past three months. Basketball is like riding a bike, you have to be consistent,” Harrington said.

“The thing was, I didn’t even go through my pre-game routine because I didn’t think I was going to get my clearance letter, so that was tough. But once I got out there, I just tried to contribute as much as I could to try to get a win at home; especially for my first game here.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/how-al-harringtons-nbl-debut-with-the-sydney-kings-came-down-to-one-person-stephon-marbury/story-fnug4sup-1227589084939

Reply #560601 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754