Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers Roster Announced for 05/06

Not sure if everyone picked up on it yesterday when it was announced, so I thought it might be worth a thread of its own.

Nick Hambour has been officially announced as the tenth man in the Sixers' 05/06 roster. Ben Madgen from the Eastern Mavericks and Brad Gerlach from the Southern Tigers are the two development players who fill positions eleven and twelve.

Brett Maher (C)
Willie Farley
Jacob Holmes
Dusty Rychart
David Cooper
Oscar Forman
Mark Nash
Brad Hill
Paul Rees
Nick Hambour
Brad Gerlach
Ben Madgen

Topic #3835 | Report this topic

chooseanothername  
Years ago

Where's Williams he was wicked.

Reply #44576 | Report this post

thumper  
Years ago

i thought i heard rees sign with some one else last night on the news.

Reply #44578 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

thumper, i think you might mean rogers.....great to see madgen in there, he is an exciting prospect.

Reply #44579 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Good to see they kept the same team as last year, great off season recruiting sixers! Yes...please insert sarcasm!!!!
So I wonder what Jye will be doing seeing as he didn't get a spot?
That could be another thread couldn't it Isaac???

Reply #44601 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Jye wants to start it and tell us, he's welcome to. I have no idea what he'll be doing.

With regards to your trolling -- yeah, it's a bit same old, same old with Reesy returning, but this year we might actually get to see Nash play and having Brad Hill for the whole season is a bonus. I think it's an improvement on last year, so that's better than nothing.

What would you have done?

Reply #44604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you are right Isaac.....the return of Nash will be a huge bonus.

Who do think will start in the 3 spot....Holmes or Nash?

Where will Hambour fit in?

There could be some interesting combinations on the floor, particularly if somebody gets injured

Reply #44607 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i would think holmes is a lock to start in the 3 spot....he is up and coming, and nash i am sure will need to find his feet for a little while at that level again.
i did not think we needed any huge changes to our team from last year, remembering were very unlucky to lose in a one off game when brisbane just lit it up...hardly a reward for finishing 3rd or 4th.
go siexers!!...i can smell a championship.

Reply #44611 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

With the abundance of free agents going around, they would've been better off targeting another big man or a three man. As much as we all love the Big Fella Reesey, how much is he really going to be able to contribute this year? After him we don't have anothe legitimate big man. Cooper, as well as he can rebound and block a shot, he can't compete with a solid five man. If we had recruited the other PR, then I would have gone and bought myself a season ticket and would have enjoyed watching the sixers making a run to the title but I still think we are lacking that one extra player.
If both Jacob and Oscar can lift the game just slightly to the next level then who knows what can happen.
Last year I think we were lucky to finish where we did after a dismal run home so I don't think we could sit back and sign the same team and say, "well we finished fourth last year, that's pretty good!".
There's not point wondering what if now, it's too late. Hopefully the guys have a good season, but I think we will be just outside the top 3 or 4 teams who have recruited exceptionally well this year in Brisbane, Perth, Townsville and probably Sydney.

Reply #44612 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't disagree, but who can you get for $30k that will defend the Bradtkes of the league?

Reply #44614 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Remember though that this squad without Nash made a decent run last year, scalped the Kings, who won it, twice!

Lets not repeat the whole Cairns game and the Brisvegas barrage we copped.

Add Nash and Hill and the athleticism is right there.

We are probably the most agile team in the league with all bar Rees and Coop able to knock 3's....hang on big fella can nail the three followed by fist pump to the crowd, Coop lift your game!

Reesy is the most decoated centre in NBL history so while he does not bring speed to the squad he does the little things that all teams need to win....the man has heart!

Reply #44619 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Jason Eversteyn??? JUST KIDDING!
I know what you mean, but who's to say then that you keep the other guys on the squad? Chase your big man first then sign the rest of the players. The reason we were in that situation is we signed up everyone else then said, "Well what can we get for $30k???".
I'm glad you corrected yourself Kent, Reesey is the downtown man!
I saw it first hand this ABA season!!!

Reply #44624 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I still think the sixers should've signed Jye as a pinch hitter off the bench to nail the threes when teams play a zone. We don't have that designated shooter (besides Oscar I guess), your Steve Kerr's, Paxson's, Ehlo's, Hodge's, you can tell i'm a Bull's fan huh???
I thought Ng was good for that stuff, he just struggled defensively because off his size and Jye's got that on Darren.

Reply #44625 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But who do you leave out of last year's roster? Can't be Maher. Couldn't let Hill go. Farley was nearly MVP. Dusty nearly MVP too. Oscar contracted. Let Jacob go and he'll make you regret it. I think they did the right thing in keeping Cooper. The rest are all pretty cheap and I think Nashy was a good buy given his SEABL form. The only ones worth real money that you could let go for a marquee big man are four of the starters, and I think there's a good case for keeping each of them.

Reply #44627 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

At least there is a full squad before the season starts and we are not all waiting to see who fills a spot...

There are only 3 real changes, Nash back from injury, Hill in for Williams and Hambour in for Gower. I think it is fair to say these guys appear to be a step above those who they replaced.

Hambour is bigger than gower and can possibly hold out the bigger opp more effectively, Hill, well, he showed us last season what he can do, but i don't think opposition will give him too much freedom this season. And Nash, who is effectively coming in place of Ng, sounds like he may be a consistant contributor based on his SEABL performance this year.

Even though the team is very similar talent wise, I think because of the "bigger" and proven players on the bench, Adelaide will, this time, be a serious title contender before the season starts.

Reply #44632 | Report this post

switchboard  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance, but has Darren decided to focus on his studies for now?

What does Hambour bring to the team.. Besides certain aggression issues?

Reply #44654 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Yeh what happened to darren?

Reply #44670 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

I think it's a great team and definitely an improvement on last season.

Nash and Hill bring two new elements while Holmes and Forman will continue to increase in potency. Their careers are blossoming and the confidence that brings will give them more bite. Remember last season knocking off Wollongong, Kings, and Bullets, and other times without Maher, and these guys stepped up. Combined with the dynamic duo of Farley and Rychart and I actually think the team will weave some magic this season. Rychart is a force and the fact that he seems to 'slip under the radar', not getting as much attention as others, is a major asset. Again, last season saw some wicked games by Rychart when Maher was out. I've always admired the hard work of Rychart and I predict some big things from him this season.

This shows the actual depth in the team that I think is under-rated by many.

Sure, we missed out on some big names with game in the off-season, but this is an exceptional team of talent with two of the best coaches. Remember too, that this is actually a TEAM that works together, unlike others who have big names which I predict are going to cause some gelling problems.

Is going to be an entertaining season.

Reply #44672 | Report this post

D. Brent  
Years ago

should not have bothered with nash i dont think, now that i have said that he will probably have a good year, but i think for his size and his athleticism he has never really given the sixers a whole lot. he is the master of playing well in the local leagues just before contract time, getting signed, then letting his team down with either poor form or by getting injured. for his size and athleticism he simply does not do enough in the nbl and i reckon his career stats would probably reflect that, good luck to him though. get rid of him and put a young guy in the squad who gets paid stuff all that frees up some $ to get a decent big man.

Reply #44673 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

bit harsh, hes been riddled by injuries, and always gave us awesome D and some offence - all he has to do is have confidence in himself and he'll be right back into it...dont turn down the open 3 nashy!

Reply #44682 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i have to disagree with you panther on this one. i think chasing rogers, unless he was going to play for bargain base price is not worth it, we had our worst season for quite a while a few years back when we had him, i dont think he suits our style, as we are not really a pound it inside sort of team, i think rees does as well as anyone at playing the perfect role of crashing the boards, and he defends quite well.
i would never have bothered with rogers....he will just get injured anyway.
just my thoughts.

Reply #44692 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

gertrude rogers was injured for more than half the year, i don't think you can blame him for that dissapointing season.

D brent Nashy has the ability (hopefully still) to gaurd all 5 positions on the court, he may not rack up huge numbers but i see him as a rupert sapwell type player who doesn't make noise and just gets the job done.

The one critcism i can think of is he passes too many open looks

Reply #44695 | Report this post

Pickles  
Years ago

I wouldnt get too excited over Nash. The likelihood is that he will be injured and miss most of the season anyway...

Reply #44712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO 6ERS

Reply #44721 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Sixers have achieved a major feat in re-signing all of last season's players together with the added bonus of Nash and a full season from Hill. There is also another bonus in that Forman and Holmes have further improved in the last year. With our line up, there is no room for another big name player and I certainly would not trade any of ours for him. Sure some teams have recruited well in the off season but only well on paper. That is yet to be tested. Atleast we can say we have stability. I've got good vibes for this coming season and we can be justifiably proud that Sixers Admin have done a great job of recruiting. I would not miss this coming season for anything and encourage people who are not convinced to go out and buy a season ticket to do so as it will be money well spent.

Reply #44733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big time pressure on Farley & Maher to get it done and not get injured playing without a break all season.

What happens if one of them goes down or suffers a form slump??

Reply #44837 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

cant remember Brett Maher ever having a form slump??

Reply #44839 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Hopefully Maher and Farley will stay healthy the entire season but if not then Oscar will start like last year when Maher was out.

Brad Hill (the back-up guard we have not had since Rillie) would also get more minutes in the event of such injury with Gerlach coming in as 10th man.

The 36ers line-up has good depth and balance. Will be an interesting season with a lot of good opposition teams on paper.

Reply #44840 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

Yeah. Not alot of changes, just more options...

Reply #44850 | Report this post

SK  
Years ago

How many seasons do we keep saying Nash would be good in offence (not denying he can play good d) "if only" he had some confidence?? The boy is getting old now, if he doesn't have it by now, especially playing under Smyth, will he ever?? How many years did we hang onto Williams, hoping he would show his stuff at NBL level.......look where that got us......

Reply #44886 | Report this post

dub zero  
Years ago

i think watson thoroghly deserved to be picked as he would be in the top 3 men in the aba at the moment

Reply #44971 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

no he isnt

Reply #45078 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

who is ben madgen?

Reply #45079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Madgen is a guard/forward from Eastern. Averaged 13.7 PPG and 5.9 RPG. Had a couple of 30 point games. Started slowly (coming off the bench?) and then picked up more minutes in the second half of the season. Apparently has done pretty well training with the Sixers.

Reply #45090 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

but what happend to darren ng?

Reply #45145 | Report this post

Little Trevor  
Years ago

studying medicine, couldn't do both. Chose to study over play professional ball.

Reply #45149 | Report this post

JImmy  
Years ago

I like the look of our roster and have faith that they can make the finals (is it an 8 team finals system still??) and go far into them (finish top 4 atleast) but i would have liked to have added another quality team orientated recruit...not specific of any one guy, but im sure the coaching staff would have got someone if they thought they needed to. Disappointed that the CAT didnt come back....bastard

Reply #45222 | Report this post

dub zero  
Years ago

cheezburger
so where would u sit jye watson then i think he is easily top 3 what do u think?

Reply #45648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i am a bit disappionted in this years team i am jye shoulda got a spot and what did happen to darren ng.

Reply #45787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why didn't williams get a spot in there too man the sixers really did bugger all recruiting this year.

Reply #45789 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

i would sit jye watson in the top 3 shot attemps.

Reply #45865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754