Curtley
Years ago

Foxtel losing EPL

It appears that Optus will have all rights to the English Premier League which means Fox will have more money. Will they get more NBA games or at least invest a bit more in the NBL?

Topic #38362 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Foxtel have been actively promoting the EPL as part of its sports package recently too.

Reply #560687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they have just realised that Soccer is about as exciting as watching paint dry?!

Reply #560688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's this a blow for the nbl? Might result in reduction in foxtel subscribers as epl is very popular

Reply #560695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Optus take over the rights starting August 2016 for three years.

Reply #560698 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah this isnt good for the NBL, purely because its not good for Foxtel. They will have to get very creative with what they splurge on next. I cant stand soccer, but have alot of friends that bleed EPL, so this is crushing news to some.

Ofcourse more NBA is a great idea, but with so many people being able to acccess league pass and also watch like myself though sportsbet etc i find that sufficient enough appease my NBA needs.

Reply #560706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EPL got great ratings a few years ago on Fox but those numbers have dropped.

Reply #560708 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

Foxtel should focus more on the NBA and NBL. Plus getting cricket on board would be good, every game in Australia, at test, domestic level, and one dayers.

Reply #560728 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Maybe they have just realised that Soccer is about as exciting as watching paint dry?!

Yeah, so boring that it's the worlds most popular game?

They were outbid by Optus. Fox and Bein, bid around 30 mil each, and Optus won with a bid of roughly 50 mil. It's also a closed bidding process so Fox wouldn't have expected Optus to put such a large bid in.

Reply #560744 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Read an article regarding this post. Optus have not yet revealed how they will show/stream the games. It was suggested that they might on sell to a provider (not sure how that works). Also in the article suggested that Optus were also chasing the NRL. Will be interesting where you will actually be able to watch the EPL.

Reply #560780 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Listened to a podcast recently about a study on suspense and surprise. It suggested that these combined to make soccer particularly successful, whereas there was far less suspense in basketball, for example.

They suggested that one way to tweak soccer to make it even more effective was to introduce the rule that the last goal wins. That would mean that the next goal from the trailing team in a 3-0 game would still be very exciting.

Reply #560785 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm sure there's something to it Isaac, but I think a bigger factor is what you grow up with.

Cricket is boring as batshit but I love it because I grew up loving it. I didn't grow up with soccer or baseball so they're two boring as batshit sports that I don't like!

One of the ticks for basketball is how it's spread worldwide despite not being a 'cultural' sport in many places.

The new FIBA calendar will enhance that by making international basketball a regular thing, and when FIBA gets their act together and finds a solution to open court fouls it will grow again.

Reply #560790 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Love it or hate it, as a sport, the EPL packages soccer so well it is just super entertaining and lets face it with the amount of money they have and the world wide audience watching it, the EPL is always going to be a monster.

I am sure FOXTEL will find somewhere else to finance with all the money they will save, EPL rights would not be a cheap buy at all, who knows maybe the NBL will get some more of an injection of funds for programming...

Reply #560791 | Report this post

The Fist  
Years ago

I personally think soccer should allow opposition goal keepers to fist the ball into the goals if they choose to take the risk and run down the field.

Reply #560798 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

optus have already stated they will look to on sell a % of the games back to Fox, Optus really only want the marque games

Reply #560831 | Report this post

Justin Mahon  
Years ago

Optus paid $189m Aus for three years of football broadcast in the middle of the night with ratings lower than the A-League (yes, you read that right) which only has 1/3 the games and is already getting more than double the funding from Fox the EPL is.

Let that sink in for a moment and do the maths.

The expectation is that the next A-League broadcast deal will be approximately 300m over the same 3 year period. It of course includes Socceroos friendlies, the FFA Cup games from the RD32 onwards and there is a rumour FFA might be able to sell the National Premioer Leagues Finals Series also (the 2nd tier). International club friendlies, the AFC Champions League and Asia/World Cup games are all out of scope as the FFA isnt entitled to any of that - beyond $250k sanctioning fees for each of the club friendlies played here.

Why pay so much for Australian football? Because it rates better than the EPL, is played in summer at prime time and 'over the top' broadcasters (Optus, BeIn, ESPN) can't get enough of it - putting massive pressure on Fox. Like they need any more of that right now.

EPL leaving Foxtel is terrific news for football.

Reply #561178 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754