AngusH
Years ago

Kings vs United, November 5

Soooo well pumped Kings fans?!?!?!?

I just hope we keep it close-ish, or Harrington provides a couple of highlights. Worse case, hey, there's some half decent pre-game eating spots down around Chinatown.

Topic #38383 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sydney will win. I bet on Melbourne with that betting mistake. Almost guaranteed.

Reply #561286 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Normally I would hope for the upset result in a game like this, but in this case a big part of me wants United to get up just for all the people who got on those dodgy betting odds. Get one back for the people vs the bookies ;)

Reply #561349 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Game tonight, but slightly overshadowed by all the Croc's v Wildcats issues at the minute...

This could be an absolute cracker of a game if the Kings can take a leaf out of the Croc's effort and just play with confidence and conviction.

If United shoot it like they have and can keep the King's inside game in check, look out because the Ballers are fast starters who don't easy up much once they hit an early lead!

At home, I am going for a 2 point Kings thriller :)

Reply #561378 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney remains the most unpredictable team for mine, because there's the biggest disparity between the talent on their roster and what they’ve produced on the court.

If United play like they have been then they should get another comfortable win.

But I can’t shake this nagging thought that at some point the Kings might actually put in a good performance. That Harrington might come good with an extra few days training, that Thornton and Cadee might start defending a little better, that Garlepp might do something. That the team might show some passion, etc. So if all or even some of those things happen then we might have ourselves a ball game.

Reply #561380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of Thats LV.

Perhaps a few of those things could happen, yet if they do perhaps the big sneeze will drop off.

Pretty sure Melbourne will just win.

Reply #561382 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A lot of offensive talent on the Kings roster, but unfortunately that's only half the game. If they can come in with a defensive plan that unsettles Melbourne a bit early on, and hit a few shots to build a lead, anything is possible.

Also possible is that Melbourne smack them again!

Reply #561387 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, United have been great and Sydney will need to do *a lot* better than they have been to even compete.

The "That's" aren't *that* unrealistic though. Garlepp has dropped off hugely from last year- it'd hardly be surprising if he shook it off and had A big game. Likewise, Harrington can be expected to become a dominant force in this league. The question for me is how long it'll take him to get some touch and fitness. He could start seriously delivering at any time.

Reply #561388 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

But yeah fundamentally I agree with you Paul. As I might have said in the game thread on the weekend, their lack of effort and poor D was appalling. Fixing that end of the court is surely their first port of call, backing up from the weekend's game.

Reply #561390 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Harrington's an interesting one. I could be wrong, but to me his lack of conditioning says he's months away from being more than an impact player. Other teams will work him over defensively and get to his legs if he's on court too long.

Reply #561394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne surely can't shoot at that rate forever.

Reply #561443 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I keep thinking that re: Melbourne, they can't shoot the lights out EVERY game, surely. But then they come out firing every single game I've seen this season. They do have stretches of around half a quarter each game when they stop playing offense and start just playing iso ball, so that's really their Achilles heel... doesn't mean much if they knock those tough iso shots down, though.

Reply #561450 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne already had an off shooting night.

Against the Wildcats.

Fortunatly they must've set a world record of only having what, 4 turnovers or something? And the Wildcats also shot poorly. So United managed to escape with a win despite shooting 6 from 24 or 25 from 3.

Reply #561455 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Its hard for MU to have an off night with so many good shooters on our team. If CG43 is off, toddy, kicks or holty all step up. Is homicide commentating tonight??

Reply #561479 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

LV, I actually think Sydney are one of the most predictable.

They hinge on Khazzouh. Contain him and you win.

If they had more elements to their game - guard production, defensive prowess etc they would be more competitive

Reply #561535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm ref cam.. interesting.

Reply #561553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dat firepower geez

Reply #561558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've said before and I'll say it again

Steph (Curry) Holt

Reply #561559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding?

More like Colding amirite?

Reply #561562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrington with no regard for the game of basketball

Reply #561565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOT IN MY HOUSE

Reply #561567 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

LOL!

When Markovic pushed Brandt, Brandt thought it was a United player and turned around as if he was ready to kill someone!

Reply #561568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RETIRE HARRINGTON YOU ARE SHIT

Reply #561570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having-a-mare-ovic

Reply #561571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That a boy Thornton

Reply #561574 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Still very close near half time, Sydney hanging in there for mine...

Reply #561575 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Harrington trying to take em all on.

Fun to watch. He's getting better every game.

Reply #561576 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As good as Goulding is he still chucks up some terrible shots. Yes I know he can hit some of those shots but doesn't mean its a good shot.

Reply #561577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a pretty poor crowd

Reply #561579 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not completely sold on Demopoulos' time out.

Lol.

Reply #561587 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

But I am sold on the way his team is playing!

Reply #561588 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

3 pt record under threat here

How many assists for kickert!? Seems like he's loving that little drive and dish action...

Reply #561593 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think he is a great coach. Running the team expertly.

He may not have much to say in TOs. But that's not a bad thing. If anything it may be a good thing as it could suggest he prepares and scouts pre game really well and doesn't have to do as much in game.

Title is United's to lose. Unbelievable team.

Reply #561595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's crazy to think how good United would be if Holt was just a little more explosive off the dribble and able to consistently get into the paint. As it stands, with all their shooters, it might not matter much.

Reply #561604 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This United team is a sight to behold.

The telecast had them at 21 3's. Box score says 20. Record is 22.

Love how they are a team full of scorers who are willing to defer for the benefit of the team. Kickert only put up 9 shots tonight and had 7 assists. Holt had a ridiculous first half with 23 points and was as hot as Alice Springs but don't know if he even put up a shot in the second half. That says volumes about him I think.

Reply #561607 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Despite all of this I'm not sure we can confidently say that the title is anyone's to lose just yet. At the end of the day United is a long way towards first spot but it doesn't matter if they finish 25 and 3, they'll still have to win two playoff series.

Witness Geelong 08. One game was all it took for them- history tells us- to be considered *one of the best teams ever*. If not for that game their stretch of 2007-2009 would have been the most dominant 3 year stretch I've ever seen from anyone. Enter Hawks. Or more accurately, enter the yips. For one day only.....

United look very, very good. But I believe a firing NZ and a firing Cats will bring defence thats *much* better than most of the stuff United has faced this season. NZ is in form and has had time to work Webster in. Bring on the weekend.

Reply #561610 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Unlike the AFL, the NBL has a best-of-three. I could see Melbourne dropping a game. I can't see them dropping a series.

32-0 is possible, but probably not likely. A championship is all but guaranteed.

Reply #561619 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kobe firstly there's 28 games

Secondly "a championship is all but guaranteed". Yep. And if a good Aussie or two get an injury? Anything can happen.

Their two biggest rivals are Perth who've had continual injury issues, and NZ who have won 4 of the last 5 titles and who are undefeated at 3 and 0 since having Webster back. Oh and the Hawks who were within two baskets of United on United home court with a couple of minutes left. And the Hawks were missing two starters that day!

United are looking good but the hysteria is over the top. And I'm a United member by the way.

Reply #561620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"United are looking good but the hysteria is over the top."

Well stop hyping them up then.

Reply #561623 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not the one claiming they've pretty much got the 'ship in the bag.

They are playing some very pretty basketball though and they do have a bunch of great weapons who are complimenting each other well- it's the best start to a season that anyone's had in a long, long time.

That much is more or less undeniable. That's not hype- it's just what's happened.

Hype is claiming near certainty about what will happen in February and March based on what has happened up to the 5th of November. Anyone who's been watching sport for more than 5 minutes knows that is called hype.

Check out the AFL ladder after Round 9 this year. http://www.afl.com.au/ladder

Reply #561630 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Ok everyone saying Melbourne cant win it all. We are still missing David Barlow a former boomer.. Not to mention Hakim. Our only serviceable big at the moment is Majok. we were playing a 6'6 garret jackson at pf and still managed to win. We are a class above any other team in the league!

Reply #561631 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

New Zealand and Perth represent a challenge to United because they are both great rebounding teams. Both have depth, size and talent in their frontcourts, and are rosters with legit muscle and power, and good defensive teamwork. Those things represent a contrast to United's finesse, and United haven't been properly tested against these teams yet.

United escaped with a nail biting win against Perth and is yet to play NZ- which is why all this hype about United is getting slightly overblown. Most of it is based on work United has done against the two bottom teams!

Reply #561635 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe firstly there's 28 games
In the regular season. Add another four for the playoffs.

Reply #561639 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I was actually pretty happy with how the Kings played last night. If Holt and Goulding are going to knock down contested threes, there's not a whole lot you can do.

There was a bit of the Kings trademark frantic over-helping, but at the same time when you have Kickert-Goulding-Holt-Blanchfield outside the arc it's tough. Especially when Kickert can get his defender in the air on a pump fake, drives inside, and hits the open man.

Harrington looked much better. His touch isn't there yet, but he was being aggressive and drew some nice fouls. Not sure why we didn't look to post up Blanchfield when he was guarding him in the 2nd Q though.

Speaking of Blanchfield, I wonder if he regrets the decision to come to Melbourne. Winning is great, but his role has really been reduced to spot up shooter. Not sure it was the best move as far as his development goes.

Reply #561707 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Unlike last season - this season Melbourne's imports look like they are actually playing as part of a team. They seems to respect their team, their coach and the league.
Unforetunately can't say the same for Sydney.

Reply #561719 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754