Blowout Troll
Years ago

What happens when United's shots don't fall

What will happen? This team has been sinking blow ass shot after blow ass shot after blow ass shot.

It wont last....When it stops, what do they have?

You know what they say, live by the 3, die by the 3

Topic #38389 | Report this topic

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

There are so many good shooters there that there is always one firing.

Reply #561594 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Its going to be sooooooooo funny when this team has a game when they go 4-30 from 3 point range.....dont worry, it will happen.

Reply #561599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have great shooters shooting wide open shots.

Goulding is the only one that shoots contested shots and he is good it.

Reply #561600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmmm someone sure is bitter about United's great play. Going 8-0 on the back of great shooting doesn't just happen randomly it also indicates a good system being used. If these excellent shooters happen to go 4-30 from 3 point range next game then oooooooh we might lose. Then we will only be 8-1. Then you could LOL at how bad we are only being like 4 games clear on top of the standings.

Reply #561601 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LIVE BY THE 3, DIE BY THE 3.

Reply #561602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mentioned in another thread that they missed a lot of wide open shots v Perth and managed to grind out a win. If they shoot that bad again without Warrick they'll likely lose.

Although they will likely made a good percentage of wide open shots in most games.

Reply #561603 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

They managed to grind out a win because the refs were too busy cheering with the rest of the crowd in the final few seconds and missed a hack on Beal...

This team can be so easily exposed...Slow the game right down, put the ball in the paint and turn it into a half court grind.

Thhen take Melbourne off the perimeter..

They will cool down...mark my words they will cool down

Reply #561605 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Live by the three, live in 2015.

Reply #561606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#561605 - easily exposed.... As a United fan I'm really glad you aren't a NBL coach.

Also good luck getting United off the perimeter.

Holt/Majok pick n roll with the hard dive from Majok with shooters everywhere...

Holt/Kickert pick n pop...

Bubbles being Bubbles...

Blanchfield waiting in the corner after the defense is sent scrambling...

Try not giving up an open 3.

Reply #561609 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United's plan B if they can't make a shot:

- Iso Warrick in low block

- Clear out and let Goulding go one on one

Those are both good options to get a bucket

Reply #561613 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah look many ppl wondered what would happen to the Warriors when Curry, Thompson stopped hitting shots. They found a Way.

The sheer number of good scorers and shooters means cumulatively they are hard to stop. Hill isn't traditionally an outside shooter but has been knocking threes every night after being left wide open.

Reply #561614 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Iso-ing Todd Blanchfield and letting him go to work is one of the most efficient options in the league and it's like their fourth or fifth option. I'm sure they'll be fine on the offensive end...

Reply #561617 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LV, Warriors dont win the NBA if the Cavs werent missing 2 starting all stars.

Reply #561625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from what i have seen so far this team is a very well drilled and coached team. they give up good shots to get great shots. everyone knows their role and they sacrifice. its a deep team and they are playing for each other. I hope they continue to play like this because it is great basketball to watch. high scoring and up tempo which this league needs. and it also makes people like you have a cry when a team is good. just enjoy the basketball being played instead of whinging.

Reply #561626 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Said 2 years ago that Blanchfield is a man to watch and when DJ left I was on here begging Sixers to grab him and here we are with him killing it. Geese I'm good at picking them.

Reply #561627 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah you are right Mick- I was just replying to the OP

New Zealand and Perth represent a challenge to United because they are both great rebounding teams. Both have depth, size and talent in their frontcourts.

United escaped with a nail biting win against Perth and is yet to play NZ- which is why all this hype about United is getting slightly overblown. Most of it is based on work United has done against the two bottom teams!

Reply #561634 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

GEESE

...couldn't resist

Reply #561645 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Seriously though, if the game slows down a la in the playoffs/when they play Perth and (as you'll see on Sunday) New Zealand, I wonder how they will fare. They had me baffled tonight playing at Sydney's pace, but as soon as they started connecting on flashy shots, their energy lifted and they started running. I reckon if they have a bad shooting night then they will be a little less inclined to play quickly. Seeing shots fall through the hoop is where Melbourne get their mojo, nowhere else really.

I have my reservations about this team but you can't deny the star power, depth, balance and attitude. Best in the league at the moment. Still, I'm backing NZ for the championship (backed them as soon as Webster came back). And I reckon they'll give Melbourne their first L on Sunday

Reply #561646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United have enough talent to overcome the dry spell that is pending. So what happens is they still most probably win. Nice try though....

Reply #561672 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You also have to remember that they are currently beating everyone without Warrick and Barlow. Their 2 main guys who give them another avenue to score.
Not sure what the story is with those 2, but they have 2 big names out and still look almost unbeatable. They have such a scary roster this year.

Reply #561686 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Hendo, Barlow is out for the season per Demopoulos and by the sounds of it there's no definitive date for Warrick's return. He should be getting a scan in the next couple of days if he hasn't had it already.

Reply #561687 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Before last night, Goulding's 3P% was under 35% from memory. They were still winning. Bench seems exploitable though.

Reply #561692 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Want to beat United, here's how to give it a CHANCE:

1. Take away their second chance points.
2. Dominate your 'O' boards and give yourself those second chance points.
3. Hurt them inside and stay with them all game.
4. Try not getting into a 3 point shootout, but create good open 3's and take them.
5. Pick your poison and trust your game plan.

Reply #561693 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NZ and Perth are disciplined, mature teams with strong low post and inside scoring options. Two of the strongest rebounding teams in the competition.

They are the ones who could pull off Bear's game plan.

Although I am looking forward to the rest of United games against 36ers and Hawks. Man are we going to see some shootouts this season. We're still just at the beginning.

Reply #561699 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

2. Dominate your 'O' boards and give yourself those second chance points.
This is always a balancing act though. Send too many to the boards and you leak fast breaks. Goulding, Holt and Blanchfield will be effective enough there to punish you. Goulding will finish at the ring or pull up for the three.

Teams will usually have rules like only going to the O-board if you are playing a certain position, or otherwise if you are completely confident you'll get it.

And anyway, you'll be in there against Majok, Warrick, etc. Not sure how good a tactic that would be.

Majok is 10th for FPG, but only 2.9 so I doubt trying to get him in foul trouble would be that reliable.

Reply #561705 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I keep waiting for the night Melbourne don't knock down all those contested threes, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Goulding is like the JR Smith of the NBL - I'm a lot more concerned when he pulls up on a contested three than I am when he's wide open.

Reply #561710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you had 3 spots in a 3pt shootout and you had to pick from the Melb United team, which 3 do you go for? They have 4 legit shooters!

Reply #561718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH - how many contested 3s do you think United shot last night?

Bubbles shot some as he always does, Holt shot one contested 3 from deep late in the shot clock.

They shot 41 in total, and without any sort of tracking data high 20s or early 30s would have been considered open good shots to take. Blanchfield doesn't shoot contested shots, Kickert shoots open shots, Holt will shoot some if you go under the pick n roll. Hill and Jackson got in on the act, although they had half the court to themselves

Reply #561721 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Isaac- Majok is only playing 20 minutes or so per game. If you look at per minute stats across college and his first season and a bit in the pros, I think you'll find he's more foul prone than average.

Reply #561723 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ anon they shot a lot of contested 3s. I couldn't give you a number, but I would say that most of Goulding's threes in particular were contested, at the very least. I think he got maybe 2 clean looks with no defender in front of him. For anyone else in the league they are 'bad shots', but not for an MVP-form Goulding.

Most of Holts were coming off screens, but were far from what I'd consider open looks. Cleaner looks than Goulding, but still not 'open' looks.

Kickert created open looks every time he got someone to bite on his pump fakes at the top of the key and found guys like Blanchfield and the replacement import (his name escapes me) though, for sure. It's the most underrated part of Melbourne's offense.

Reply #561733 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You can break United's shooters into 3 groups:

1. Holt and Goulding (but in particular Goulding) are the types of guys who shoot off the dribble. They’re liable to pop a 3 at any moment. Think of Lanard Copeland, Ebi Ere. Playground shooters. But both can catch it and shoot too.

2. Kickert and Blanchfield are both reliable catch and shoot players in the same vein as an Oscar Forman. They don’t have to be wide open but they do need their feet set.

3. Then you’ve got Tomlinson, Hill and Hadziomerovic who have all been hitting the wide open looks they’ve been getting as a result of ball rotation or the other guys being double teamed. And last night Jackson added himself to this group.

It’s not surprising at all that this group is breaking three point records. It was clear from looking at their roster that them and Illawarra would both be hitting huge numbers of threes this season in terms of pure volume. Although it’s exciting to see exactly how well it’s all fitting together and the consistently high percentage they’ve managed to drop.

Reply #561748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beat them by making Goulding & Kickert have to defend,put kickert in on balls and make Chris chase around screens also run their 3 pt shooters off the 3pt point line and don't rotate, make them hit 2s instead of 3s, switch any pick & rolls with kickert and make him go to the block and don't help, 2s v 3s. Make Tomilinson, hill, Haz (whatever his name is) finish around the rim, don't leave shooters. also let Majok play in the post without help, keep them in the half court, in saying all of this you have too hit shots, they are tough, playing with great momentum at the moment.

Reply #561873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beat them by making Goulding & Kickert have to defend,put kickert in on balls and make Chris chase around screens also run their 3 pt shooters off the 3pt point line and don't rotate, make them hit 2s instead of 3s, switch any pick & rolls with kickert and make him go to the block and don't help, 2s v 3s. Make Tomilinson, hill, Haz (whatever his name is) finish around the rim, don't leave shooters. also let Majok play in the post without help, keep them in the half court, in saying all of this you have too hit shots, they are tough, playing with great momentum at the moment.

Reply #561874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP reeks of jealousy. How about giving them credit where its due? They recruited well and are playing to their strengths and system so far. Its a long season but they've put themselves in a good position to succeed and achieve their goals which is more than you can say for most of the other teams.

Reply #562172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754