Anonymous
Years ago

Conklin charged with striking

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/conklin-charged-for-breaking-martins-jaw/tabid/91/newsid/179903/default.aspx

Topic #38390 | Report this topic

WNBL fan  
Years ago

from that second angle from the video it looks like the elbow could have been held very stiff but not actually traveling directly into Martins face, just traveling down as Martin came into it.

If Conklin had been elbows "up" and reverse pivoting, thus traveling the elbow directly into martins face it would be more obviously an unintentional blow ( and a really really heavier one) that could also have seen more clearly to be unintentional as there would have been no sight line from Conklin to Martin from Conklin's viewpoint.

Cant even see clearly in Slow mo if Conklin had any vision on Martin's path towards him, It does seem strange that there could be a broken jaw, and Conklin has not damaged his arm/elbow as well.

Its impossible to know what Conklin was thinking, he could well have thought initially that Martin was not really heavily hit, and that staying around was just going to give one of the more fiery Perth players a chance to start a ruckus.

It seems a real disaster, Martin being the Perth guy getting the worst of it , and Conklin looking more like a cross between Grant Kruger and Redhauge.

Its the threats from the coach that worry me.

Reply #561657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Conklin was thinking i just hacked a heap and they finally called a damn foul... The whole thing is being so over blown because of the injury to Martin. These elbows connect cllllllll the time, just never the nasty result. Over hyped issue. Sure Marvin has pushed the NBL to take this further.

Reply #561658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still nothing on the NBL website. What a joke if true.

Reply #561660 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

After the Childress precedent it would be completely inconsistent to suspend Conklin.

Reply #561665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way he gets suspended, will be too many reasons for fans to tune in if he plays. NBL needs this attention, sports fans love this sort of stuff as crazy as it is. Just the way it goes.

Reply #561667 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

I would be surprised if he gets found guilty. Accidental act with Damo in wrong place at wrong time. Brian and rest of league should be taking note though of high elbows and more importantly needs to be monitored better by referees. Like the elbow foul called on Jervis last week during hawks game after he got offensive rebound. Although at the time I thought the call was shite, watching it on tv later agreed with the call.

I do believe however that Gleeson's comments should be cited and sanctioned. Make him miss a game! We might actually then beat the crocs! Lol

Reply #561673 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

For an incident like that I think it's difficult to prove or disprove intent.
If they decide there was any intent in it then he'll be missing a lot of games, but even if there was actually intent on Conklin's part, I don't see how it can be demonstrated by that video evidence.
There's nothing there I can point to. And the people that have been claiming it was "clearly" intentional are still et to come up with anything I consider convincing.

Reply #561675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin is actually pushed into the collision, he is off balance. Totally nothing in it from a reporting point of view. Just a unfortunate injury.

It is also one reason why in the NBA you can just blink at someone to get a foul in the last 30 secs if the ref's think you want to stop the clock.

In the NBL the refs tend to let the player get the crap hacked out of them before a foul is called. It can make the game more exciting as there is more of a chance to get a steal but makes it more likely for collision injuries to occur.

Reply #561678 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

He'll get a holiday on the basis that Martin was so injured.

I'm a Cats fan and it is reckless rather than deliberate.

Gleeson should STFU too

Reply #561685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys are blind if you don't think that was deliberate. If Nbl is legit he will get 6 weeks holiday. Conklin needs to control his anger and frustration. Give him six weeks of anger management.

Reply #561688 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's going to depend on exactly what is meant by "striking." IN the AFL (and other sports) contact can be graded my severity and level of intent.
I don't think, on available evidence, they could find him guilty of intentionally striking, but "reckless" or "negligent" contact absolutely possible.

Reply #561689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress received a one game suspension with one-game suspended if he re-offended last season.

The result of the Conklin incident was a lot worse although Childress intentionally set out to cause harm and made world wide headlines which this hasn't.

Hopefully a decent fine for rough conduct and a suspended sentence and we can enjoy the game tonight.

Reply #561697 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

But when U'U gets ejected for the WWE takedown of Torrey Craig it's just tough finals basketball from Gleeson. WAYNE KERR!

Reply #561700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're joking, he is being charged for that?! Hire in his attempt to hack, steal, be a pest or whatever he was trying to do got Conklins arm up high and then as Conklin moves away from that and his elbow comes down Martin runs through getting collected.

I don't think Conklin realized what happened at the time as he walked off but if he didn't go back to check on Martin that's pretty poor.

I don't even like Conklin but that was unintentional.

Reply #561703 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Does anyone outside of Perth and their fanbase think it was intentional?

Reply #561708 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

On purpose. He saw Martin coming so moved in his path enough to make contact. He knew he hit him hard, that's why he didn't look back.

I guess Hire wasn't happy because Conklin looked at his bench then they all smiled.

Reply #561712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the speed Martin was running makes a contribution to his injuries?

I think Conklin is not guilty and I'm a Crocs fan, BUT, I applaud the NBL for at least looking like they have the best interests of player safety on their mind. It was a hit on the head and he looked like he was concussed a little, so it is best to err on the side of caution.

I'm sure Jacob Holmes would be happy that the NBL are considering player safety.

You thoughts?

Reply #561714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a shame the NBLPA haven't come out in support of Marto and the NBL.

Reply #561720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Martin didn't get hurt it wouldn't have even attracted any attention at all

Reply #561727 | Report this post

Thats right. Isn't it important for the league to be looking at incidents that result in serious injuries?

Reply #561730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was "intentional" why didn't the Perth players fire up?

Unfortunately, wrong place wrong time for Damo.

As an Adelaide fan I despise the Wildcats, but admire and respect Martin. Redhage on the other hand........wish he got KO'd

Reply #561737 | Report this post

"Redhage on the other hand........wish he got KO'd"

Wow!

Reply #561745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage is a total jerk that is bad for the game but i was upset to see him go down that game in Adelaide. So that anon doest speak for all of us. Cats fans very quiet on the U'u comparison, how unusual.

Reply #561750 | Report this post

Because not much more needs to be said about U'u. We agree that it was an unsportsmanlike and reckless act and if he'd been punished, we'd accept it.

We wouldn't waste time saying "but Craig did something to him 14 minutes earlier so he was just retaliating"

Reply #561753 | Report this post

sagemania  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze demanding Conk gets 6 weeks. That is a bit to over the top.

Reply #561754 | Report this post

Thats almost shutting him down for a year. Seems like thats his go-to comment.

Reply #561756 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Redhage on the other hand........wish he got KO'd"

Wow indeed. What a poor excuse for a human you are #737. Your probably one of these people that cheered when he almost ended his career with the dislocated hip injury. Your a disgrace to the 36ers fan base.

Reply #561757 | Report this post

it was a total accident. Conklin put off balance by a Perth player, and turned into Damo coming from behind for the steal.

Unfortunate , YES, deliberate NO.

Reply #561760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Does anyone outside of Perth and their fanbase think it was intentional?"

Yes, and I would be giving him a fair bit more than 6 weeks too.

Reply #561765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the fact that there are a fair few people falling on either side of the "intentional" question means that the tribunal would be hard pressed to find him guilty of doing it intentionally. But, the AFL can impose penalties for "reckless". Which personally, I think he should be hit with. But I don't know whether the NBL has such rules.

Reply #561796 | Report this post

Anonymous5  
Years ago

It looked pretty deliberate to me. Deliberate or not, however, there was too much force involved and the action was reckless and negligent. Conklin should be punished on those grounds at least.

As for Gleeson, he spoke in the heat of the moment and was obviously upset, but there is no place in basketball for veiled threats to other teams/players. I'm sure he has realised this by now and regrets his words.

Reply #561800 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The fact they've charged him with striking suggests they'll have to prove it was intentional. Given the accused and the victim both say it wasn't, and the video evidence is inconclusive, that's going to be hard to do.

Reply #561801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha train shed a tear mate. Go watch the Lightning

Reply #561802 | Report this post

Can they downgrade/amend the charge during the hearing? I think they have done that before but obviously applied a lesser penalty.

Do they even have a charge for reckless striking etc?

Reply #561803 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Did Gaze really come out and say he should get six weeks?

Reply #561804 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

According to this article in The West, yes, he did
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/30015373/hostile-arena-awaits-crocs/

Gazey, Turn it up!

Reply #561810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is becoming the Australian version of Skip Bayless with every basketball opinion he gives.

Reply #561811 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He does seem to have lost the plot when it comes to the NBL, yeah

Reply #561812 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The way i see it if i get drunk and drive my car and hit someone in the process injuring them then I'm accountable for my actions. The defense of "I didn't mean to hurt anyone it was an accident" would be thrown out of the court in a jiffy.

If Conklin is deemed to be flailing his elbows and arms around then he needs to be accountable for the damage that that has occurred no matter what his intentions were.

I'm with Gaze on this one, "IF" hes found guilty hit him hard. If he's not guilty then so be it, but you cant find a guy guilty of breaking a guys jaw then let him off with a one game ban for breaking someones jaw.

Reply #561845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Train aka Stephen A Smith.

Reply #561848 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Horrible analogy Train. By driving drunk you are breaking the law, something that can be proven. At this stage, there is no proof Conklin was doing anything that breached the rules of basketball.

Reply #561850 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Paul - I think you misunderstood my comment. I never said that he was breaking the rules or that I thought he was. I said "IF" he was found guilty or breaking the rules he should be hit hard considering the damage he caused.

I've seen the footage and unfortunately I don't have the level of expertise of background to determine if he did or not.

Never in that comment did I say he was guilty or that I thought that.

Reply #561852 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No problem with that, my issue is with the comparison between drink driving and a flailing arm.

Reply #561853 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Train your analogy also falls over based on intent.

For example, if I get in a car drunk and hit and hurt/kill someone by accident, I will receive a lesser penalty than if I get drunk and intentionally run into someone and hurt/kill them.
Intent will play a part in the charge you face as well as in sentencing (along with a whole lot of other things), should you be found guilty.

Reply #561854 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

OK maybe the analogy could of been better but you get my point though.

Reply #561857 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Reply #561884 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

My take on the incident.

From early on basketballers are trained that when they have the ball above their head and defenders approach to pull (rip)the ball down and through with your elbows out. The reason you elbows are out is that it is the natural way to carry out that motion and also to protect the ball.

Any basketballers ever done this drill?

Conklin was doing just that. When the ball was dislodged by the foul you just cant stop your momentum (because no ball and foul called) and in fact the effort to rip the ball through contact can actually cause an acceleration once the contact/ball has unexpectedly been released.

Players also over emphasise this movement(flailing of arms all the time). CJ (the retired bald one), Goulding, Redhage, Wagstaff, Wortho and yes Conklin, off the top of my head, are some of the more adept at this tactic.

No one has ever made an attempt to stamp this out or even stop coaches drilling this because it may inadvertently injure a person coming in from the blind side.

This is exactly what happened. It was my first thought and after many viewings it is still what I believe.

Just an sad accident. If it is indeed found the be illegal then some one better get to work fixing up that chapter in the coaching manual.

Reply #561886 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's been cleared.

Reply #561887 | Report this post

He's been cleared and will play tonight.

Reply #561888 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Happy ending. We get to abuse him this evening after all
:-)

Reply #561893 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Going to be a whistle-fest tonight, lol

Reply #561895 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

haha I reckon the ratings on this game should be through the roof for Foxtel :P

Reply #561896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@luuuc That is probably his penalty having to play in front of the Wildcats fans

Reply #561897 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given how bad he's playing this season, the best punishment is to make him play tonight! Can't wait for this game.

Reply #561901 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The only bigger joke than the BS charge is Gaze saying he should get 6 weeks. He might have been our best player ever but I really get sick of him being wheeled out in front of the media as some kind of spokesperson for the game. Do any of these media clowns realise his IQ is probably lower than his average ppg? Sportspeople are not famous for their intellect or critical thinking ability so why would anybody care about their opinion. Judging from Gleeson's comments, you can Include him in the limited intellect crew too.

Reply #562150 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754