Anonymous
Years ago

Tonight's FOX commentary

Some interesting points:

Homicide Williams operating in a 3 man commentary team, as I think was suggested on these forums. Good to see the NBL/FOX incorporating some fan suggestions? And just the general attitude of being willing to try different things.

I only watched the highlights but it seems Homicide is not your traditional expert analysis type of guy but more bringing that streetball/fan culture with comment like "thats the emotion I need to see big fella!" and "and-1! nice finish young fella with the left hand over the giant!" or even the simple "dolla dolla beal!". Did Robbins provide the expert insight to complement this?

Also thought the play-by-play guy sounded very good. Like when he said "Redhage drives down the lane and dishes to Jawai" it was refreshing to hear some natural basketball terminology used to describe the play. I give props to the football commentators for their enthusiasm but you won't hear terminology like that (which is quite simple) used by them naturally.

Source: https://twitter.com/NBL/status/662618697492594688

Topic #38402 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

what happened to Anthony Hudson?

Reply #562156 | Report this post

Kenny  
Years ago

I prefer the 2 man coverage and that Papalia guy is too passive to be a lead commentator.

Reply #562158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rucker is still No.1, gives intelligent and knowledgable comments about what is going on and knows the teams, coaches and players. Williams also knows them, but isn't quite as articulate, more of an entertainer.

Reply #562166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Passive? I thought he was outstanding

Reply #562183 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Good to see my three man suggestion working ;)

OP is correct. Homicides strength is his catchy one liners and "swag".

Throw him in with someone like Rucker or heal and a footy guy and u got a winning combo.

Reply #562195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching the kings v united game just now. "They are as hot as a stove!" Really? Commentating is your career and you have no better, humorous metaphor?

Reply #562205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correcting myself, "simile".

Reply #562206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, would like to see Tommy Greer back as the special comments guy for United games, with Homicide adding in flavour as the #3

Reply #562223 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They still need to get a pronunciation guide to everyone except Matt Russell, who's been doing exceptionally after a shaky start. Shame he seems to have been relegated to the QLD games only.

Although it is amusing to hear Tommy Greer try every pronunciation of "Hadziomerovic" he can think of in the hopes of occasionally getting it right. Hasn't succeeded yet, mind you.

Haven't watched last night's game back yet, so I can't comment on that specifically, but I did say after one of Homicide's earlier games he'd be better as part of a three-man crew if they're going to insist on using him.

And yeah, Huddo seems to have quietly disappeared, which is strange, and Warren Smith has popped up out of nowhere.

Reply #562258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't stand in any sport commentators that try to make themselves the show. We see this every summer with Channel 9's pack of idiots in the cricket commentary box and Homicide was just cringe worthy last night.

The whole game was seemingly about him and his crap comments, him playing golf, an old lady saying something to him and him continually referring to Perth Arena as The Jungle etc

If I ever hear that imbecile on a game again I'll be muting it all game.

Reply #562264 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I thought the commentary was good and Homicide's contribution improved. Probably a combination of acting on some feedback and being only a third

Reply #562270 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I don't mind Homicide to an extent, but for the casual observers we're trying to win over, I think he would come over as too 'rough'. He's a mute button for me.

Still can't warm to Brad Rosen, too over talkative and seems like he wants to force the point and add his opinion to every point possible.

Am really enjoying the non-basketball commentators. I think Andrew Voss is doing a FANTASTIC job. He's obviously a high-profile NRL commentator, but he's very believable as an NBL caller.

Ruck as mentioned is great. Perfectly suited to broadcasting.

I've missed a bunch of games since opening week, but haven't heard of CJ or Lemanis since then. Are they still on? if not, good.

Reply #562279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did homicide go in the Adelaide Sydney game?

Reply #562514 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:17 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754