Dazz
Years ago

Bring Back the Jump Ball

At the start of the last quarter in the Cats v Hawks, the refs had everyone lining up at the wrong end. ~8000 people are yelling WTF, and finally somebody went and checked with the officials and after some debate it was sorted.
But seriously, there are only quarters, with no jump-balls called, how hard is it to keep track?

I never understood why they got rid of the jump-ball?

It also creates a lot of confusion (and crowd anger) when a contested possession results in a JB call, and effectively turns over possession.

It's another gripe I have with the reffing: Reach in and simply make contact, and its called a foul. But reach in, make contact, wrestle the player to the floor, and its called a Jump-Ball.
Back in the day, legitimate jump-ball calls were rare, but now they just seem to see it as an easy solution.

The problem is that they think it's an unbiased call, but often its not. If in the frantic final minutes you make the one and only JB call for the night, you've just handed one team a free possession.

Topic #38429 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

One team or the other has to get possession of the ball after a jump ball, too.

Reply #563064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, all the real issues that have gone on with th league this week and Dazz wants the jump ball back instead.

Reply #563069 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

More like let's get back the option to call timeouts on the floor. Lost count of the number of NBL games it has ruined at the death in the last few years

Reply #563084 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Screw the aligning with Fiba. Do we have to? Also, let's stretch the three-point line a bit further (NBA dimensions) to promote penetration. Will open up the floor that much more

Reply #563086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The jump ball was removed to help align FIBA with NBA rules.

NBA then added the jump ball back.

NBL can makes their own rules if they wish.

Reply #563093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was called a held ball when I did umpiring years ago seems to be called a jump ball by commentators. Maybe it's a minor quibble but it seems like something commentators should get right.

Reply #563097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did the NBA remove the jump ball??

Reply #563099 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What was called a held ball when I did umpiring years ago seems to be called a jump ball by commentators. Maybe it's a minor quibble but it seems like something commentators should get right.
Yeah, I imagine it gets confusing for the more casual viewer.

When did the NBA remove the jump ball??
Never, as far as I know.

Reply #563100 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBA alternates possession at the start of quarters, but jumps it up for held ball situations. How confusing must that be?!

Reply #563101 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No they don't. The team that wins the opening tip gets it to start the fourth, the other team gets it to start the second and third.

Reply #563102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.euroleaguebasketball.net/euroleague-basketball/news/i/114696/eca-shareholders-meeting-ushers-in-new-season

Euroleague were apparently bringing back jump balls.

Reply #563104 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

The NBA have got the best rules IMO
wider/ longer dimensions, jump balls, on court time outs, no 14 second shot clock reset.
its a better game because of it. not so much of umpires checking whose ball it is, or if the clock should be 14 seconds or if it changed possessions.
only time umpires stop the game in the NBA is if they missed a call or they are double checking the call.

Reply #563166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't argue with "Koberulz " haha

Reply #563167 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just shows how confusing their set up is!

Reply #563168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't expect someone posting as "koberulz" to be very cluey about basketball ;) but he definitely seems to know his stuff.

Reply #563169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He does know his stuff, my guess is he is single with alot of time on his hands

Reply #563177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is sounding smarter by the minute!

Reply #563178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smarter than GWB

Reply #563180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The one that really annoys me about the NBA is that if the ball gets wedged between the rim and the backboard, they jump it up at half court instead of the nearest free-throw circle. How does that make sense?

And the sooner they realise resetting the shot clock to five if it's below that when a jump ball is called is an utterly stupid thing to do, the better.

Reply #563199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely, the possession arrow sterilises whilst the jump ball intrigues and excites, you never know who's going to end up with the ball.

Reply #563224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed last anon

Reply #563226 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Absolutely, the possession arrow sterilises whilst the jump ball intrigues and excites, you never know who's going to end up with the ball.
This is true of the possession arrow as well half the time, as most people in the venue can't bloody see it. Perth actually hide it behind the courtside advertising, and have to hold it up to show the refs whenever it's needed.

They used to have it on the scoreboard, but they stopped.

As far as my name goes...I'm aware it sucks, but I've had it for over a decade now so I really can't be bothered changing it.

Reply #563294 | Report this post

Even a jump ball to start each quarter, then use the arrow for the remainder of the quarter would be great.

Jump balls put a bit of life into the start of play, and do give teams a chance to set up a play.

Reply #563306 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The one thought I had back when the demerger first happened, and Boti Nagy was reporting that they were going to bring back jump balls but couldn't because they didn't have free-throw circles, was to at least start overtime periods with a jump.

I have noticed that the start of the second half seems to slip by unnoticed a lot. If everyone had to group together at half court, maybe it'd be more obvious.

Reply #563373 | Report this post

"and do give teams a chance to set up a play."

So do side balls.

Reply #563376 | Report this post

side ball is slightly different as only 1 team has control of the ball. Jump ball is a contest.

Reply #563477 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, that is exactly the difference. Well spotted.

Reply #563478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754