Anonymous
Years ago

How people see the Wildcats

Interesting read.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-the-last-team-that-should-complain-about-copping-hard-fouls-20151110-gkv7r9.html

Topic #38439 | Report this topic

What a stupid article. If you immediately compare Redhages flopping to Conklins elbow, you're not really making much of a point.

Reply #563249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe shit like that gets published

Reply #563254 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"The Wildcats don't seem to realise the perception among other teams is they have been dishing out hard fouls for many years and, for the most part, getting away with them at little cost."

Hmm clearly a total misrepresentation of the true affection that teams, players and coaches across the nation have for the Perth " hard bun-hair men" who are actually regarded as cuddly powder puffs with hearts of soft gold.

Reply #563259 | Report this post

I'm quite certain they are aware of their reputation and they don't particularly care. But to say they can't complain about one had foul that broke their captains jaw because of their reputation is terrible logic.

Reply #563262 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thats pretty spot on, down to the begrudging respect. Not sure what the issue is, thats about it. They push the envelope til teams get pushed over the edge and retaliate.

Reply #563265 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't think they dish out hard fouls, they have just been reffed a little differently to other teams, mostly at home, in certain seasons over the past 5 or so years. Some years have been worse than others. It's not hard fouls it's more grappling and two hands on the ball carrier stuff, not dangerous at all.

Reply #563266 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

That is, the elbowing, hip checking and stuff they are said to get away with is overblown IMO.

And to clarify: it's not dirty. You play what the refs give you. All power to them for playing a gritty style. I just think because they have a reputation for playing hard nosed and gritty, they have been allowed to get away with more than other teams in the past (not really this season or last, but up until the season before last more blatantly).

Reply #563269 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed Mick, and the reality is in the last two years with reffing crackdowns, 2010 and 2014, Perth won the title. They play how they're allowed to play and do it very well.

Reply #563271 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nate Jawai uses his considerable bulk to, often illegally, send opponents sprawling
Nathan Jawai goes around being bigger than people, how evil of him!

[Jesse Wagstaff] was of course the catalyst for Sydney import Josh Childress' infamous retaliatory strike at Perth Arena last season which went viral across the globe.
Jesse Wagstaff got hit in the face, how evil of him!

Kings players laughed among themselves that Wagstaff has not set any more screens on Childress in their subsequent meetings.
Jesse Wagstaff doesn't set screens on players who are out injured, how evil of him!

Despite an ageing roster and a hiccup late in the pre-season when former Boomers guard Hugh Greenwood opted to leave an international sport for one which has no resonance outside of this country, the Cats are still genuine contenders.
Hugh Greenwood likes a different sport than I do, how evil of him!

"Stupid" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Reply #563282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You just have to laugh!

Reply #563284 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I saw that article this morning. I thought it was pretty embarrassing stuff so I didn't even bother linking it here.
I'm all for opposition fans serving it up to the Cats and their fans when it's warranted, and I'm the first to admit that it is regularly warranted, but that effort would have been punching above its weight just to be a decent blog entry IMO.

Reply #563290 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Let's call it as we see it, I hate seeing Redhage flop as much as anybody and think Wagstaff would be a much better player if his mindset was more like Vlahov in he doesn't wanna show weakness to the opposition... But that isn't why Wildcats win and why fans go the their games. As fans we want to see our team play hard and play smart, if they do that's then it's all good.

Wildcats win games because they rebound amazingly well and take care of the ball above average too, if you beat Perth on the boards and force them into turning the ball over then their poor shooting will show them to be an average team.

Referees have a lot to answer for and its almost to the point of good man management to rest your stars in the first quarter and bring them on after the refs have stopped calling the fouls that could ruin the game for a team... For proof of this just look at the Sydney vs Adelaide game and how much Khazzouh not being there for the last 5 minutes of the game meant to the result...
But none of that has anything to do with dirty players does it

Reply #563297 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The only Perth player I consider to be a bit dirty is Redhage.
He used to be real bad at poking his elbows out when setting screens on smaller guards.
He either doesn't do it as often or a don't notice it as much with Ced Jackson being taller and more agile than CJ Bruton.
He just flops and exaggerates contact these days which is what most of the leagues best players are doing so no big deal.

I don't think a lot of Greg Hire as a player, nothing he's done I just don't rate/like him.

Wagstaff, Knight, Jervis and Damo are all great players whom I'd be stoked if they played for NZ.

Reply #563298 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Wildcats win games because they rebound amazingly well and take care of the ball above average too, if you beat Perth on the boards and force them into turning the ball over then their poor shooting will show them to be an average team."

I think that's a pretty good summary and one with which I think NZ Breakers would agree.

Overall, they've been no dirtier and rougher than other NBL teams in past seasons, except for Wollongong. I haven't seen the latter as Illawarra, this season.

Reply #563322 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

The author also thought Beal was having another great season - Credibility completely gone

Reply #563355 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754